I like you Christian Eriksen

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

To be fair he did have a choice of left or right hand side of the goal when we only put two men in the wall.

You don't let professional footballers have a free shot at goal.

Whilst you're not totally wrong, the way he hit it we could have had 10 players in the wall and it wouldn't have made the blindest bit of difference. However, like you say, putting so few men in the wall encouraged him to hit it like that.

To be honest whilst I'm proud of the team
it was all a bit David and golath and if they had taken their chances could have been embarrassing

We gave the ball away far too much and warching that it's easier to see why we struggle at home

In all the games I've seen we seem to play most of our football in our own half then get pressured into hope full channel balls
which either get cut out or lead nowhere

Don't want to be overly critical though
I really hope we can kick on from here and start a run like last year

Still think we need to two or three more in but I'm happy the club have finally put their money where their mouth is regards transfers

think there was a thread on 'best free-kick at the Lane'

That's 'probably in the top one'

:D

I know they could have had more, but they didn't...a great game of 'if only's'
...from our point of view one word 'Reed'

He will never hit a free kick like that again. Absolute class.

He will and he probably does one in training nearly every day. We could have put 10 in the wall but it got it over the wall and over the 'keeper. Quality goal.

It is the second best free-kick I have ever seen at the Lane. Second only to Zola for Chelsea

He will and he probably does one in training nearly every day. We could have put 10 in the wall but it got it over the wall and over the 'keeper. Quality goal.

It is the second best free-kick I have ever seen at the Lane. Second only to Zola for Chelsea

When the Sky interviewer asked Pochettino that (i.e "does he do that in training every day?") he laughed, shaking his head. I'm sure he practices it a lot but that was a 1 in a very large number to get spot on.

I could do nothing but grudgingly applaud that free-kick, probably the best I've ever seen in person.

Me too. I stood and applauded and idiots near me who turned up for the cup game thought I was a Spurs fan.. I'm in my season ticket seat and have just witnessed a glorious free kick. Who's looking after your armchairs?

Remember Beckham & Veron scoring similar for Man Utd years ago now. Quality free kick.

I remember the thud of it hitting the woodwork still now 14 hours later. It sort of echoed all the way around the ground! Sickening moment to say the least!

Watching Spurs warm up, their guys were consistently putting the ball past the keeper wherever they fancied putting it. I thought 'yes, but it'll be different when you're being closed down by defenders.' Unfortunately, this wasn't the case with the free-kick. We had two men in the 'wall' and a Spurs lad stood next to Scougs who was about three feet taller. Without taking anything away from Eriksen (complete quality), I'm as bemused about putting a tiny lad in the wall as I am about dragging J C-R back to defend corners when he would be better utilised left upfield in case we break.

One of the pricks on the 'highlights' show blamed Howard for not saving - or having a 'better go' at - the free kick. Utter nonsense. Howard had a fine game, making 'routine' saves look easy with his positioning. He saved Kane's shot from an angle in the first half (the one where Kane went crashing into the boards and the ref. gave a goal kick) and was utterly exposed for their second.

Watching Spurs warm up, their guys were consistently putting the ball past the keeper wherever they fancied putting it. I thought 'yes, but it'll be different when you're being closed down by defenders.' Unfortunately, this wasn't the case with the free-kick. We had two men in the 'wall' and a Spurs lad stood next to Scougs who was about three feet taller. Without taking anything away from Eriksen (complete quality), I'm as bemused about putting a tiny lad in the wall as I am about dragging J C-R back to defend corners when he would be better utilised left upfield in case we break.

One of the pricks on the 'highlights' show blamed Howard for not saving - or having a 'better go' at - the free kick. Utter nonsense. Howard had a fine game, making 'routine' saves look easy with his positioning. He saved Kane's shot from an angle in the first half (the one where Kane went crashing into the boards and the ref. gave a goal kick) and was utterly exposed for their second.

When you hit a ball that well, the wall is at best irrelevant, at worst a hinderance to the keeper as he doesn't he then doesn't see the ball until late.

Howard had no chance on the freekick, as you say. I thought on Saturday v Preston he could've done better, perhaps by sticking a man on that far post, but last night even sticking a man on the far post would've struggled to get near it

In fairness to Spurs, a couple of players apart, they carried themselves very well, didn't moan too much (like Southampton did), they were a little cynical at times and knew how to work the ref.

Well done to them though, we certainly gave them a game or two!

Howard had no chance on the freekick, as you say. I thought on Saturday v Preston he could've done better, perhaps by sticking a man on that far post, but last night even sticking a man on the far post would've struggled to get near it!

Then Eriksen would have put it by the near post...:(

Also Harry Kane - surely worth an England spot. Pace, power, workrate...the kid has everything.

His touch and ability with the ball is a joy for a lad so big.

Hopefully he doesn't have a second season syndrome and Spurs nurture him well (ha).

Got to say I was impressed with the way that Spurs, from the manager downwards, handled themselves with great class on and off the field. (Vertonghen being the exception with his ridiculous overreaction near the end).
Hope they go on and win the thing.
Big difference to Southampton and a real credit to their club

Also Harry Kane - surely worth an England spot. Pace, power, workrate...the kid has everything.

His touch and ability with the ball is a joy for a lad so big.

Hopefully he doesn't have a second season syndrome and Spurs nurture him well (ha).

I thought if he was genuine International quality he would have done at lot better with the chances he had. I'm no doubt being harsh because of his age and experience, but while he is undoubtedly quality, he still had a bit to go IMO.

Got to say I was impressed with the way that Spurs, from the manager downwards, handled themselves with great class on and off the field. (Vertonghen being the exception with his ridiculous overreaction near the end).
Hope they go on and win the thing.

Think their fans who came on here added to the debate as well.

Back
Top Bottom