Eoin Doyle

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We had Blackman and sold him, along with our chance of promotion.

Edwards, Beattie, Deane, Fjortoft, Blake, Blackman just off the top of my head but the list of goalscorers sold tells its own story.

According to a paper report yesterday, we are after Jimmy Ryan (who scored Chesterfield's 1st goal against us last October). My Chezzy supporting workmate says he has been very good for them, a strong and clever CM who never panics when under pressure. His contract expires in summer 2015 so he sounds good for us

According to a paper report yesterday, we are after Jimmy Ryan (who scored Chesterfield's 1st goal against us last October). My Chezzy supporting workmate says he has been very good for them, a strong and clever CM who never panics when under pressure. His contract expires in summer 2015 so he sounds good for us
He also was a big reason for captain ramias defecting in his submarine the red October

Yep, I think your mate might be the same as mine :) Ryan would be a good signing by the sound of it.

UTB

Clough asked about this - he's on the radar, sort of.

image.jpg

We had Blackman and sold him, along with our chance of promotion.

:)

UTB

Was Blackman actually that good? I haven't got the stats in front of me but I don't think his scoring record was that good if you take penalties out of the equation.

Why would you take penalties out of the equation?

You wouldn't entirely, but the reasoning is that they are extra and better chances over and above what a non-penalty-taking striker would get. You have to be the nominated penalty man to score them. For other players, you get 'em where and when you can and rarely from 12 yards, without a defender or obstruction to worry about!

Blackman takes a great penalty. That is to his credit. He's not a major goal scorer though and never will be. His career average stands, I think, at about 4 a season. We have not missed out on much.

Last edited:
Was Blackman actually that good? I haven't got the stats in front of me but I don't think his scoring record was that good if you take penalties out of the equation.

It's poor, mate; with or without penalties. However we should definitely Bringimback - It's the Bladesfans' Way. Play him alongside Stead, another legendary prolific marksman.

He made most of the penalties, and got goals from the wing.

He wasn't that good as his record since has shown. He was in a purple patch (hence the previous part to the thread) and he was the only player we had who was scoring goals. We were top of the third division when we sold our top scorer that Christmas. We're still in the third division. :(

UTB

It's poor, mate; with or without penalties. However we should definitely Bringimback - It's the Bladesfans' Way. Play him alongside Stead, another legendary prolific marksman.
Ah, I wondered when that straw man would be wheeled out again :)

UTB

He made most of the penalties, and got goals from the wing.
UTB

I don't think he did, you know. There are far better Stattos on here than me, but I recall the much-maligned Dave Kitson (at least twice the striker Blackman will ever be) being fouled for at least two under my nose at the Kop end, and maybe one at Doncaster? Blackman, on the other hand, draws....well, a blank.

We did very well to get good money for him. It will be the largest transfer fee of his career.

We did very well to get good money for him. It will be the largest transfer fee of his career.
I remember Blackman winning numerous penalties Pinchy. He was also played regularly out wide but was still easily our highest scorer. And his current form has really got nothing to do with it. At that time he was our leading scorer and the only player looking likely to score. The money was never going to make a difference either way, the only objective was promotion.

We were top of the league and capitulated after his sale. That quick million has probably (nobody knows) cost us far more than we recouped, and helped cement us as a sadly regular third division feature.

The fact is the sale was controversial and several posters dug in, backing the club for the sake of it for the umpteenth capitulation. They dug in so far that even when the final humiliation of another third division campaign was thrust on us, they refused to acknowledge it was a mistake.

UTB

Don't forget No-Goals Joe and, here's one for the future - Deadly Division Four Diego [though I hope not].
Why, did you rate them or something?

Joe Ironside always looked poor to me. Diego I have no strong opinion either way.

The lack of enthusiasm (for the sake of it) on local youth is something we both share.

UTB

That's a pretty heavy hint that we're looking for a CM though, and quite rightly. I think the time has come to say "thanks for everything, mate" to our captain.
right now it's your favourite Scougal that would have to make way, but medium term I'd agree.

UTB

I put Blackman alongside Smith, Morris, Slew, Tonge and Harry as players we sold at exactly the right time to maximise on their over inflated perceived value. Any impact that fans think we had by losing them is more the fault of inadequate replacements for the money. The only difficulty I can see is replacing the affinity they had for the club and bond with the other players and fans, however as at least 4 of those names forced the move anyway it's not a huge loss and fans are a fickle beast and soon move on.
The ultimate is that they're moved on and we bring others youngsters through, hence why I don't want more midfielders purchased to stop two of our more promising players who could replace Doyle next season. Spend the money where we don't have options coming through.

I was very impressed with Chesterfield's central midfielders Ryan and Morsy when they beat us this season. They looked so solid while our trio were all over the place. Morsy would probably be too expensive, but Ryan being out of contract makes him especially interesting.

Chesterfield fans rate him very highly: http://www.thecfss.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=52652&st=0

I put Blackman alongside Smith, Morris, Slew, Tonge and Harry as players we sold at exactly the right time to maximise on their over inflated perceived value. Any impact that fans think we had by losing them is more the fault of inadequate replacements for the money. The only difficulty I can see is replacing the affinity they had for the club and bond with the other players and fans, however as at least 4 of those names forced the move anyway it's not a huge loss and fans are a fickle beast and soon move on.
The ultimate is that they're moved on and we bring others youngsters through, hence why I don't want more midfielders purchased to stop two of our more promising players who could replace Doyle next season. Spend the money where we don't have options coming through.
The point was we had nothing coming through, nothing lined up, and nobody else even looking like scoring ( presumably academy fans were waxing lyrical about the totally useless Ironside at the time). It wasn't a casual bit of reasonable business, it was our best chance of promotion cast away.

If you take away the situation and let the mist of time blur the reality of that time then I can agree, the fee for Blackman was fair value.

I stand by the point that there's a fair few determined not to admit that they got it wrong.

UTB

The ultimate is that they're moved on and we bring others youngsters through, hence why I don't want more midfielders purchased to stop two of our more promising players who could replace

The ultimate is promotion out of the third division, and most people don't give a shit how we do it.

Players ( including local youth) are a means to an end, nothing more.

UTB

You wouldn't entirely, but the reasoning is that they are extra and better chances over and above what a non-penalty-taking striker would get. You have to be the nominated penalty man to score them. For other players, you get 'em where and when you can and rarely from 12 yards, without a defender or obstruction to worry about!

Blackman takes a great penalty. That is to his credit. He's not a major goal scorer though and never will be. His career average stands, I think, at about 4 a season. We have not missed out on much.
blackman was not worth the money we got for him as his career since has proven as good a penalty taker as i have ever seen
but his alround game was not up to much,look where reading are now! what was disappointing is wilson didnt bring any body in with the share of the transfer fee he got. he didnt get all of it thats obviouse but things had started to go pear shaped after the long early season unbeaten run the rest is history. the loan players wilson brought in during his spell as manager were
poor and added nothing to the squad

The ultimate is promotion out of the third division, and most people don't give a shit how we do it.

Players ( including local youth) are a means to an end, nothing more.

UTB
We disagree on this aspect, so I don't see any need to go through it again. I'll just say I disagree.

As for Blackman I didn't rate him that highly and don't accept he cost us promotion or anything else. Again I guess we're on opposite sides of the argument.

Back
Top Bottom