Old Press Photo's added to the website

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Cracking site that Sharrowblade . Are you Tony Pritchett in disguise? :D

I have quite a few press passes from various away games from around 1991/92 ish, which I'd be more than happy to scan in and email to you for your site if you would like?

Evening all, just starting adding some old press photo's to the website. mid 80s mainly, but there's a good one of Tom McAllister from 75'

May revive a few memories......

see the link below

www.flickr.com/photos/sharrowblade
There is a photo of a player (July 2011) you thought was Doc Pace and it is deffo not him. Dont know who he is though

There is a photo of a player (July 2011) you thought was Doc Pace and it is deffo not him. Dont know who he is though

Silent, come on you're letting me down, looks like i'm going to have to investigate.

Cracking site that Sharrowblade . Are you Tony Pritchett in disguise? :D

I have quite a few press passes from various away games from around 1991/92 ish, which I'd be more than happy to scan in and email to you for your site if you would like?

That's very kind, all scans are very much appreciated.

Regards Sharrow

Old Sheffield United photo, third from left, face obscured, Ted Burgin.

I believe it was Plymouth, December 79
Burscough's kit was green too and I remember their shirt was the same as in your picture

Plymouth's kit was like that between 1978 and 1980

0009101_plymouth-argyle-1978-1980-bukta-retro-football-shirt.jpg

Yes you're right Silent, I had my doubts, it says Sheffield United v Plymouth on the back 79/80, but the 'Plymouth' was added at a later date.

Cannot confirm its Burscough tho who played the week before.

Looks a decent crowd behind the goal. Pitch looks very good for December, possibly too good.

more investigating to do. :confused:

John Cutbush in the background
It is Bourne and Butlin
If it was Burscough it would have been 3rd round Fa Cup and, therefore, January, surely
We won the game 3-0
Did Matthews and Garner score in that one Darren ?

John Cutbush in the background
It is Bourne and Butlin
If it was Burscough it would have been 3rd round Fa Cup and, therefore, January, surely
We won the game 3-0
Did Matthews and Garner score in that one Darren ?

1st round as we were in 3rd division. We were drawn away to them but Burscough were happy to switch venues so that they would get more money.

McPhail at the Kop End and his celebration made my dad laugh. Speight scored our 2nd with a header just after half time and Matthews got our third with a daisy cutter from outside the box

Last edited:

Yes you're right Silent, I had my doubts, it says Sheffield United v Plymouth on the back 79/80, but the 'Plymouth' was added at a later date.

Cannot confirm its Burscough tho who played the week before.

Looks a decent crowd behind the goal. Pitch looks very good for December, possibly too good.

more investigating to do. :confused:

Definitely Burscough. Crowd was 14,000 Plus as I recall. I suspect Burscough brought a few as it was the biggest game in their history

Here's this month's latest addition to the website.

November 1969 and United's first ever visit to Swindon Town's County ground.

David Powell with the slide tackle.

15825388003_962302f0bc_z.jpg

Evening all, just starting adding some old press photo's to the website. mid 80s mainly, but there's a good one of Tom McAllister from 75'

May revive a few memories......

see the link below

www.flickr.com/photos/sharrowblade

Sharrowblade . brilliant photo of Hodgy in the net against Swindon. Looking at him now , you do realise how small he was in height ( but not in stature) compared to todays goalies , with the majority now being giants.

Hodgy and Ron Springett , the 2no best goalkeepers of there time .England's best imo .

UTB

Here's this month's latest addition to the website.

November 1969 and United's first ever visit to Swindon Town's County ground.

David Powell with the slide tackle.

View attachment 10459
We lost 2-1 (Woodward getting our goal). Dave Powell was a class defender and easily a better player than John Flynn.

Swindon's visit to the Lane that season was my first midweek match (despite it was on Monday! Swindon played in the FA Cup the previous Saturday so our league fixture was switched from 7th Feb to 9th Feb. we lost 2-1 again (Badger scored). Don Rogers was Swindon's star player

1st round as we were in 3rd division. We were drawn away to them but Burscough were happy to switch venues so that they would get more money.

Funny you should mention that Silent, I was only thinking about that the other day. Conceding home advantage in the early rounds of the FA Cup used to happen regularly in those days, these days it doesn't seem to happen at all. I have no idea why that might be.

Cracking website Sharrow - love having a gander at it now and again.

September 88, Priestfield Stadium. United's Graham Benstead in an aerial tussle with Jason Lillis.

Nobody else looks too bothered. :)

16279838558_fecf4ddd30_z.jpg

McPhail at the Kop End and his celebration made my dad laugh. Speight scored our 2nd with a header just after half time and Matthews got our third with a daisy cutter from outside the box
Remember being at that Burscough game...we were stood at the back/middle of the Kop,which was packed as usual...Your memory's better than mine Silent,as I can't remember the goals or who scored,but can remember us applauding Burscough off for giving it a good go,although at least one of their players didn't take it in the same spirit and stuck two fingers up to the Kop...I could have sworn they played in blue shirts that day but it could have been green like you say,as I know that's their normal colours,and probably it's my memory playing tricks again.

Back
Top Bottom