Poorly represented by The Star again I see.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I haven't bought or read the Star in years and haven't even looked on their website in ages so can't comment on the content but anyway I was at the inlaws on Saturday and the Star came into conversation and the father in law (who is from the dark side - you can choose your friends not your family! ) pipes up "you mean that Sheffield United paper"!
Now considering that most people on here consider it a 'Pig rag' I was just a little bit surprised at his comment yet he went on to say how bias the Star is towards the Blades!

As I have said before the Star exists to make money. It makes money if people buy it. There is thus no conceivable reason why it would deliberately seek to piss off a good portion of it's potential readership - SUFC supporters.

On a similar 'bias' theme, the matrix signs around Brook Hill roundabout and elsewhere always have details of Wendy matches on display days in advance. Considering this is on the inner ring road and BDTBL is a mile away, it's unforgiveable.

However, there's one of these signs on Charter Row (next to Wickes) and half a mile from the Lane. Of course, they had details of the pigs v Wolves up for days. So what did it display in the days running up to the Soton game (and on the day of the match)? 'Don't drink and drive'.

I think they have a point.

The Stir usually do report on us more than them but it's mostly bad news. Like dragging out shit about Ched Evans all the time, as I am sure they were coming up for reasons to mention him months before he was released from prison. They don't have a great relationship with the blades and at times I am surprised the club let them anyway near. That said it's a paper and you expect some bias from papers.

Radio Sheffield is something else as that is clearly bias when it shouldn't be at all. The 2 or 3 Wednesday fan only phone in's they had when Megson got sacked was embarrassing.
Like I said, I can't comment as I never read it, but I was a taken aback by his comment and observation that as an Owl he sees the Star being biased towards the Blades!
Mind you I can still remember the Save our Owls campaign they ran some years ago! :mad:

On a similar 'bias' theme, the matrix signs around Brook Hill roundabout and elsewhere always have details of Wendy matches on display days in advance. Considering this is on the inner ring road and BDTBL is a mile away, it's unforgiveable.
However, there's one of these signs on Charter Row (next to Wickes) and half a mile from the Lane. Of course, they had details of the pigs v Wolves up for days. So what did it display in the days running up to the Soton game (and on the day of the match)? 'Don't drink and drive'.

Fucking Hell! - That explains everything about how the Wendy are soooo massive and control all the local media - they are in the Matrix and we aren't!
Never fucking saw that before you pointed it out Graffers - or should I say, "Neo" ;)

Matrix-Origami_o_100085.gif

So lets get this straight. Local paper is against us, SYPD hate us, Local Radio Hates us and now even the people putting the matrix signs up around the city hate us.

Anyone starting to get a chip on each shoulder type picture here? Or perhaps thats just me.

So lets get this straight. Local paper is against us, SYPD hate us, Local Radio Hates us and now even the people putting the matrix signs up around the city hate us.

Anyone starting to get a chip on each shoulder type picture here? Or perhaps thats just me.

You're forgetting the local council as well (remember the Bramall Centre in 1982 and forget the fact that the Tory government agreed with the Council).

Just because your'e paranoid...... :)

I wouldn't pay to read it, and if their advertising revenue on the site isn't generating enough income to cover their costs there, then apparently not enough people read it for free either.

The Guardian's write-up for us was very favourable, but then there's at least one Blade on the Guardian sports desk.

I thought the BBC's "League Cup Show" last night gave us good coverage.
Concentrated more on our performance and success than on "Premier League Southampton" losing four on the spin.
Manish and Leroy were very complimentary but then they actually have to take an interest in the lower leagues, so that helps.

"Radio Sheffield is something else as that is clearly bias when it shouldn't be at all. The 2 or 3 Wednesday fan only phone in's they had when Megson got sacked was embarrassing."

Remember the night he was sacked and Radio Pig extended the Tuesday night sports show until 11pm to take piggy callers. Fast forward to Tuesday night and the show finished bang on the dot, 10pm, no extended time to listen to elated Blades fans praising the team... and they wonder why we think they're biased towards the pigs!!!

"Radio Sheffield is something else as that is clearly bias when it shouldn't be at all. The 2 or 3 Wednesday fan only phone in's they had when Megson got sacked was embarrassing."

Remember the night he was sacked and Radio Pig extended the Tuesday night sports show until 11pm to take piggy callers. Fast forward to Tuesday night and the show finished bang on the dot, 10pm, no extended time to listen to elated Blades fans praising the team... and they wonder why we think they're biased towards the pigs!!!

I've griped about if before but by the time I'm back in the car after our night matches, they've started playing tapes of interviews with managers of non-playing clubs, cricketers, ice hockey players. Anybody or anything apart from United so it seems.

Who the hell do they think is going to be the vast majority of their audience at 21:45 after a Blades home match?
How many Ice Hockey fans tune in especially to listen to a five minute interview with some Canadian bloke?
Why does Keith Edwards have to stop speaking almost as soon as the final whistle blows?
Why can't they pay him for an extra 15 minutes to talk about the match they've just watched and the Blades in general?

(I have to say that I never listen unless we're playing, so they might do this for all the teams?)

Regardless of any bias involved, it just seems a crazy thing to do when they have a ready-made audience sat in their cars/homes wanting to listen to stuff about United/Wednesday or whoever.

Last edited:

I drive past the matrix signs on Penistone Road, Netherthorpe Road & Hanover Way on my way to work & Queens Road & Derek Dooley Way on my way home from work every day (there's probably others but I can't think where they are) and they always seem to give at least a days notice of any United match, can't say I've ever noticed it on the Penistone Road one though. Only ever seen notice of Wednesday matches on Penistone Road townbound, Netherthorpe Road Hillsborough bound & Derek Dooley Way Hillsborough bound, never on the Netherthorpe Road, Hanover Way or Queens Road ones. There's also the Moore Street one which always informs of both teams playing.

I did notice though that none of them mentioned the Southampton match being on.

What about the morning after it happened? A Toby Foster phone in show if I remember rightly.

Due to the unique way the BBC is funded, you have the right to complain about their output:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/complain-online/

Or, if you don't mind not watching live TV, do what we did and refuse to pay your TV licence. I can sleep soundly in the knowledge that I don't contribute to Toby Foster's wages.

Haven't bought this comic for years now, but used to like reading James Shields match reports on us as what he wrote, seemed to be totally alien to what I had witnessed on the pitch.

The level of journalist and radio reporting is poor .

If James Shield was any good he would not be working for The Star.

Second rate paper and second rate reporting.

Likewise with all things radio sheffield.

UTB

I did notice though that none of them mentioned the Southampton match being on.

United's match v Soton was on the signs coming down sheffield parkway and derick dooley way as we drove into Sheffield on the Sunday before the game.

Re the Star - I agree with the comments on the quality of journalism. The paper used to, many years ago, possess a decent level of literacy, integrity and a desire to present news to an audience with more than one brain cell. Of the sports reporters Peter Howard was my favorite but even the news reporting and editorials were good compared with other local rags I read in the various places I lived.

Sadly now the quality of writing is inferior, the content poor and the integrity has been replaced with sensationalist cheap moralising. A real shame.

Back
Top Bottom