View from Southampton

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sitting where we do, near the away fans, they were so loud at the start, I couldn't hear the Greasy chip butty song, which I don't ever remember before. It didn't take too long to quieten them down though, when they realised we weren't going to play the poor little league one whipping boys. They soon stopped singing 'It's like a library' when our fans started to believe. Fantastic night.

Having done it many times, I always sympathise with away fans who have so far to go home having lost in a weekday match. Especially when there's a big away following at a game they might expect to win. It's all those sad faces at car windows and the muted hangdog slouches in the service stations, the costumes that look ridiculous in defeat, and the younger kids who have a lifetime of disappointment in front of them. At least Spton have had some good times, so sod'em!

Did anyone hear the Saint caller on Talksport after the game, replying to a Blade who said that we played them off the park? He said "Don't know what that bloke's on about- they only had 2 shots and one went in!". FFS he must have missed the other 13 shots we had.(BBC stats). 6 on target to their 1.

Having done it many times, I always sympathise with away fans who have so far to go home having lost in a weekday match. Especially when there's a big away following at a game they might expect to win. It's all those sad faces at car windows and the muted hangdog slouches in the service stations, the costumes that look ridiculous in defeat, and the younger kids who have a lifetime of disappointment in front of them. At least Spton have had some good times, so sod'em!

Stopping at Leicester forest East on the way back was ace, especially after the abysmal traffic getting out of Sheffield and the never ending roadworks on the M1.

Most of the soton coaches were there and they all looked like they had had the stuffing kicked out of em. Still buzzing today

Yeah. To be honest, it's wrong of us to gloat. Poor Southampton. Poor, Premier League Southampton and their very well paid internationally capped players and poor Ronald Koeman who was so horribly disrespected by our horrid, nasty, evil, disgraceful bench staff.

Okay. I lie. Fuck them and their cunty lot. One nil, to the real red and whites.

pommpey

Did anyone hear the Saint caller on Talksport after the game, replying to a Blade who said that we played them off the park? He said "Don't know what that bloke's on about- they only had 2 shots and one went in!". FFS he must have missed the other 13 shots we had.(BBC stats). 6 on target to their 1.
I commented in the shout box last night! Their keeper was their mom!!

Also, were you still listening at 11pm when the sports headlines were on? An earlier Blades caller had been asked to say what the report should say after he'd complained that Uniited weren't getting enough credit. All he could come up with was 'The greatest team in the world beat Southampton' so they asked the next Blade too. The report went something like 'Sheffield United the best team in the world, played Southampton off the park in a dominating display' Made us laugh anyway!

Also, were you still listening at 11pm when the sports headlines were on? An earlier Blades caller had been asked to say what the report should say after he'd complained that Uniited weren't getting enough credit. All he could come up with was 'The greatest team in the world beat Southampton' so they asked the next Blade too. The report went something like 'Sheffield United the best team in the world, played Southampton off the park in a dominating display' Made us laugh anyway!

Yes we heard the lad saying we were the best team in the world. The host said "no you're not, what about Barcelona and Real Madrid? You're not better than them". His reply "Yes we are, we're the best in the world". Thought my mate was going to crash the car we were laughing so much.

I live and work in Southampton in a large office. Coincidently a few of us had "won" a dress down day today so I decided to go for my brightest and best Blades kit:
DSC08080-500x500.JPG

I spent most of the day strutting around the office like a peacock, hunting Saints fans. It's so rare us Blades get to enjoy something like this so I milked it.

To be fair, all the Saints fans were very decent about it and were quite embarrassed about RK's behavior

All this, "league 1 club" etc, we were in the same division a short while ago!! Arrogant pricks. Dislike football sometimes.

All this, "league 1 club" etc, we were in the same division a short while ago!! Arrogant pricks. Dislike football sometimes.
Its only 5 years ago I went there when we played them last game of the season ,if we had won we had a chance of going up and they would have gone down. we lost 3-2 but things could have gone very differently for both clubs.

Its only 5 years ago I went there when we played them last game of the season ,if we had won we had a chance of going up and they would have gone down. we lost 3-2 but things could have gone very differently for both clubs.
Was there for that one too, Sitters. Still count St Mary's as one of the best new style stadia. Fans were friendly too.
They got relegated the following year and came up as we got relegated. Their rise compared to our demise since then has been a stark contrast.

Would have gone up that season had we scraped into the play offs ahead of Birmingham (who won to prevent us catching them for 6th place)? Granted Blackwell had turned us around and got is playing much more effectively but winning the Play offs? Maybe it spared us another round of agony, who knows. It's highly probable that we would still be here but now with a play off final record of played 5 won 0 lost 5 goals for 0 :rolleyes:

I remember that, vaguely. A fair few of stayed over in Southampton after and got properly trollied. I can't remember bumping into any Saints fans after the game, but to be fair I wouldn't be able to remember if we'd met Big Bird off of Sesame Street.

The following season. Southampton were relegated to to the Third Division and we reached the second tier play off final. Things went in precisely opposite directions for both sides after that.

Was there for that one too, Sitters. Still count St Mary's as one of the best new style stadia. Fans were friendly too.
They got relegated the following year and came up as we got relegated. Their rise compared to our demise since then has been a stark contrast.

Would have gone up that season had we scraped into the play offs ahead of Birmingham (who won to prevent us catching them for 6th place)? Granted Blackwell had turned us around and got is playing much more effectively but winning the Play offs? Maybe it spared us another round of agony, who knows. It's highly probable that we would still be here but now with a play off final record of played 5 won 0 lost 5 goals for 0 :rolleyes:

Pre the last day, the table was thus

5. Watford 69
6. Palace 68
7. Wolves 67
8. Ipswich 66 GD + 8
9 United 66 GD + 6

There were thus two play places up for grabs on the last day of the season and Palace, Watford, Ipswich, Wolves and United were in contention for them. We needed to win and hope that at least three of the following four results happened

Wolves fail to win
Ipswich fail to win (or win by 3 goals fewer than United)
Palace lose
Watford lose

As it happened, they all won except Watford, who drew. Watford and Palace got the places and we would have not got in there even if we had won.

5. Watford 69
6. Palace 68
7. Wolves 67
8. Ipswich 66 GD + 8
9 United 66 GD + 6

There were thus two play places up for grabs on the last day of the season and Palace, Watford, Ipswich, Wolves and United were in contention for them. We needed to win and hope that at least three of the following four results happened

Wolves fail to win
Palace lose
Watford lose

As it happened, they all won except Watford, who drew. Watford and Palace got the places and we would have not got in there even if we had won.

Thanks for being my memory bitch, again, Dazzler :D

You're so compulsive so that I don't have to be and it is appreciated :cool:

Thanks for being my memory bitch, again, Dazzler :D

You're so compulsive so that I don't have to be and it is appreciated :cool:

Took some looking up actually, but I like football related basic maths conundrums :)

I was dreed as Craig david bo seecta stylee and ended up so bladdere I got hospitalised and missed the game

5. Watford 69
6. Palace 68
7. Wolves 67
8. Ipswich 66 GD + 8
9 United 66 GD + 6

Wolves fail to win
Palace lose
Watford lose

For about 5 minutes after United took the lead we were in 6th place...then the score changed in one of the other games.

For about 5 minutes after United took the lead we were in 6th place...then the score changed in one of the other games.

Yep, I remember that, I was down the gym and saw that we were 1-0 up early on. I think all the other scores were still 0-0.

Edit: actually Watford must have been losing. Edit that again, no they weren't! If all the other scores were 0-0, we were indeed 6th :)

Back
Top Bottom