JCR

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Blade58

Once a Blade, always a daft ****
Reaction score
Someone raised the point on BM and me and my lad were discussing during the match yesterday, but why when after bringing on JCR, who scored after only a few minutes with his right peg, playing on the right, did Clough decide to then stick him on the left for the next 20 mins?

He doesn't possess a left foot and cannot cross the ball with his left foot and then Clough proceeds post match to criticise JCR for not getting enough crosses in?

Surely, having proved his effectiveness down the right, it would've been the right decision for him to continue his success down that wing against their left back?

I'm sure our Nige knows better than me and many other mere mortals, but yet his decision making at times is truly baffling?

PS: If I've duplicated this in another thread then apologies

Someone raised the point on BM and me and my lad were discussing during the match yesterday, but why when after bringing on JCR, who scored after only a few minutes with his right peg, playing on the right, did Clough decide to then stick him on the left for the next 20 mins?

He doesn't possess a left foot and cannot cross the ball with his left foot and then Clough proceeds post match to criticise JCR for not getting enough crosses in?

Surely, having proved his effectiveness down the right, it would've been the right decision for him to continue his success down that wing against their left back?

I'm sure our Nige knows better than me and many other mere mortals, but yet his decision making at times is truly baffling?

Will try and offer an explanation:

First thing about the goal JCR scored, we were right behind it in the South stand - and it was a goal keeping error - it appeared to go straight through the goal keeper - he should really have saved it.

As for playing on the right - when he crosses, it looks out then in, giving the goal keeper plenty of time.

When he is on the left - the aim could be to hit it in an arc to the back post, which means the keeper cannot come and collect (as easy). The intension could have been when Flynn got on the end of one (hurt himself in the process) and got it back to Murph on the penalty spot who proceeded to hit it over the bar. That is what they try to achieve by a right footer on the left - you negate the goal keeper coming all the time for crosses.

UTB

I think it's because he does the same thing every single time, and this way he might have got the beating of the right back a couple of times before they worked him out. He needs to develop a left foot (imagine it's too late at his age!) or he can't really play from the start as he telegraphs what he'll do every time.

I think it's because he does the same thing every single time, and this way he might have got the beating of the right back a couple of times before they worked him out. He needs to develop a left foot (imagine it's too late at his age!) or he can't really play from the start as he telegraphs what he'll do every time.

True, but he also does the same thing down the left, having to continually cut in. Surely the same principle applies down either wing when you say they've worked him out? The difference being of course, he's more effective down the right imo than he is the left. 10 mins on the left should've been enough for Clough to realise this and put him back on the right? However, if memory serves me correct, JCR went back to the right flank with a whopping 1 min left on the clock

As for his left peg at 30 plus years of age, forget it. It's for standing on only

True, but he also does the same thing down the left, having to continually cut in. Surely the same principle applies down either wing when you say they've worked him out? The difference being of course, he's more effective down the right imo than he is the left. 10 mins on the left should've been enough for Clough to realise this and put him back on the right? However, if memory serves me correct, JCR went back to the right flank with a whopping 1 min left on the clock

As for his left peg at 30 plus years of age, forget it. It's for standing on only

Ye but what in saying is, the left-back had worked him out. So putting hi on the left, meant he might at least get away with beating the right-back a couple of times before he worked him out too. That's when he switched back.

Will try and offer an explanation:

First thing about the goal JCR scored, we were right behind it in the South stand - and it was a goal keeping error - it appeared to go straight through the goal keeper - he should really have saved it.

As for playing on the right - when he crosses, it looks out then in, giving the goal keeper plenty of time.

When he is on the left - the aim could be to hit it in an arc to the back post, which means the keeper cannot come and collect (as easy). The intension could have been when Flynn got on the end of one (hurt himself in the process) and got it back to Murph on the penalty spot who proceeded to hit it over the bar. That is what they try to achieve by a right footer on the left - you negate the goal keeper coming all the time for crosses.

UTB

A criticism we all have of JCR is the quality of his crosses. It puts a disappointing end to what seems like a very positive move he often executes

My own opinion is that rather than every cross being a floater that is very often over hit, just vary occasionally by hitting in a few hard low balls. I presume most will end up the same way as his floated balls, but there's an increased chance that not only one we might get on the end of one of them (one day), but just perhaps a defender might also and weigh in with a deflected own goal.

I made the same point yesterday on a different thread ,we had a good head of steam up before he changed wings and we lost the impetus. Bad decision I think. Did you notice how markedly the pace of our game increased when JCR came on for Baxter ,this suits us much better , a pacey striker with movement would improve our game and make us a good side.

Ye but what in saying is, the left-back had worked him out. So putting hi on the left, meant he might at least get away with beating the right-back a couple of times before he worked him out too. That's when he switched back.
I don't think the left back worked him out , I don't think even JCR can work himself out. He can beat his man 9 out 10 ,but his quality of cross is too hit and miss. If it was better he would have had a career at the top and wouldn't be playing for us I suppose. Reminds me of Franz Carr ,I do like him as an impact player with 30 minutes to go though.
One thing I would do is tell either the left back or left winger to get wide when he crosses because he overhits them a lot.

One way to make him slightly less predictable is to give him another option. I like Harris at left-back, but a few times on Saturday he needed to overlap JCR to at least give the full-back something to think about (JCR doesn't have to use him everytime, but it would give him more time and space to cut inside and produce a better cross). Harris didn't want to do that on Saturday (in fairness maybe because he was also more occupied defensively than in most games at home this season).

Maybe one reason for the switch was that Murphy had had zero joy against the right-back all game.

That's a good point TonyAgana cloughie talks about murphy like he's our main goal threat constantly (and probably rightly so)
Murphy struggles against strong/fast wingbacks because while he might be direct he hasn't got the trickery to beat a man in the way JCR has.
Also, playing on the left for a right footer might hamper his crossing game but it will defiantly help you cut in and get a shot off.
Final point, JCR should stop trying to cross it now. Call it a day, beat the man and shoot! His shots will be better crosses anyway and there's also the chance of a deflection

His shots will be better crosses anyway and there's also the chance of a deflection
Yep, agree with most of that. I've said it before about wingers but to my mind you've just got to persevere with them and not measure them on how many successful crosses or shots they fired off but look at their impact in the overall balance of a game. Unfortunately that's not easy to measure. However it bloody-well was on Saturday and that's why Clough's comments about JCR riled me a bit. His introduction completely changed the complexion of the game and shifted the momentum entirely in our favour, so to slate him for doing nothing other than score was fucking bullshit.

Something's got to be done about JCR's crossing. He's the most skillfull player on the team, no one else can get round a man like him and he unsettles the opposition but seeing his great runs end in a weird floaty overhit cross to no one is getting depressing.
Someone suggested cutting in and shooting, someone else said he should stick to low crosses. Both of those sound better options, he's in his thirties, doubt he's ever going to be pinging balls in like Di Maria at this stage. I remember Stan Collymore giving an opinion that low, hard crosses into the six yard box are the most effective. Collymore can be a bit of a tit but he made a pretty good argument. Perhaps JCR would be better suited to playing those sort of balls.

Last edited:
Truly bizarre on Saturday, scores on the right early on after coming on as a sub then switches him to the left. Against Crewe it looked as if all the wide players, including JCR, had been instructed to bang in the percentage cross, low and hard, and that was what his goal was like v Oldham.

Clough seems determined to attempt to go up this season with at least one hand tied behind his back, be both by the time the board's finished.

Yep, agree with most of that. I've said it before about wingers but to my mind you've just got to persevere with them and not measure them on how many successful crosses or shots they fired off but look at their impact in the overall balance of a game. Unfortunately that's not easy to measure. However it bloody-well was on Saturday and that's why Clough's comments about JCR riled me a bit. His introduction completely changed the complexion of the game and shifted the momentum entirely in our favour, so to slate him for doing nothing other than score was fucking bullshit.
I missed clough's interview after the game, but if that's what he said then that's crazy. I know his end product can frustrate but as far as impact substitutions go that was a brilliant cameo

I cannot understand why, with no-one with any height in the box, we ever put in high floaty crosses.

I cannot understand why, with no-one with any height in the box, we ever put in high floaty crosses.

Forget the height (or lack of it), the very word "floaty" (if it is actually a word) tells it all. Anything that floats over is meat and drink to a goalie and if it happens to have floated too far away from him, a CB.

Get to the byline, cut it back low or bang it across at head height and make the goalkeeper and CB worry about it.

Floaty = great word, crap type of cross.

I was talking to Ted Hemsley (really nice bloke incidentally) in the Platinum Suite after the game and he was hopping mad about JCR being moved to the left wing when their left back was "practically asking to be substituted". His particular dislike though was McEveley - along the lines of not wanting to get stuck in and just wanting to play pretty passes (his language was a bit more erm ... "uncompromising" than mine though).

Also - slightly off on a tangent - JCR came in to the suite (he was runner up in the MOTM to Basham) and he is absolutely tiny! He hardly had to crouch down at all for the photo with my 9 year old son. Seemed a nice bloke though, as did Basham - they were both professionalism personified with my son who was more than a little bit starstruck.

My own opinion is that rather than every cross being a floater that is very often over hit, just vary occasionally by hitting in a few hard low balls. I presume most will end up the same way as his floated balls, but there's an increased chance that not only one we might get on the end of one of them (one day), but just perhaps a defender might also and weigh in with a deflected own goal.

Flynn's first against Crewe came from such a cross. McNulty's goal against Orient was from a great whipped in ball from JCR. I think his contribution up until now has been quite good, from the game time he's been getting. A few games he has been frustrating with floated crosses, but then in other games he has been by far our best player, e.g. Rochdale at home.

There's a general rule that says cross it low to the first post if it's a quick attack where we have got behind the opposition.

If the attack has lasted a while, defenders get drawn towards the first post and will deal with those crosses, which often means it's better to aim for the back post. You do need a good aerial ability though, which we don't have a lot of at the moment.

Clough said JCR never put a cross in after his goal, but he made four, though one went into the Kop. He also had another shot which was deflected and forced a save from the gk and he set up Harris for a couple of crossing chances.

There's a general rule that says cross it low to the first post if it's a quick attack where we have got behind the opposition.

If the attack has lasted a while, defenders get drawn towards the first post and will deal with those crosses, which often means it's better to aim for the back post. You do need a good aerial ability though, which we don't have a lot of at the moment.

If the quick, low cross to the near post isn't an option then someone with Campbell-Ryce's ability to beat a man should be looking to get to the goal line for a cut back. That would fit in nicely with the late runs of Scougall too.

Our lack of height has been done to death but it's not just a lack of height which is a problem, it's a lack of decent aerial ability. Of the 6 midfielders and forwards who started on Saturday, only Baxter is any good in the air and he's 5'9".

I like JCR.
He's just incrdeibly inconsistent. As others have mentioned he'd be playing higher if he weren't...must be infuriating for the management!

UTB!

Something's got to be done about JCR's crossing. He's the most skillfull player on the team, no one else can get round a man like him and he unsettles the opposition but seeing his great runs end in a weird floaty overhit cross to no one is getting depressing.
Someone suggested cutting in and shooting, someone else said he should stick to low crosses. Both of those sound better options, he's in his thirties, doubt he's ever going to be pinging balls in like Di Maria at this stage. I remember Stan Collymore giving an opinion that low, hard crosses into the six yard box are the most effective. Collymore can be a bit of a tit but he made a pretty good argument. Perhaps JCR would be better suited to playing those sort of balls.
Brian Clough wrote in his autobiography that a driven cross is more effective than a floating cross and I agree

It's also a good idea to look where your team mates are :eek:

Our lack of height has been done to death but it's not just a lack of height which is a problem, it's a lack of decent aerial ability. Of the 6 midfielders and forwards who started on Saturday, only Baxter is any good in the air and he's 5'9".

It's definitely a weakness for us.

safe_image.php

I'd personally like JCR to sometimes fuck the crosses off and keep running towards goal and have a few more shots,he causes havoc and takes a lot of pressure of the back four,which iv'e said over and over again.He might not be the most consistent,but the other team have no chance of scoring while the ball is in the kop:)

Impact player. I think he is a good additional option and has forced Flynn to fight more for his place. When Ben Davies is fit again there is going to be loads of competition.

clough always seems to find it necessary to criticise certain players who are the only ones to make an impact ie JCR and Sparky. perhaps it upsets his plans for a nil nil draw when they keep scoring (how very dare they)
as for JCR . .having someone to actually cross to might be a good starting point i reckon

Back
Top Bottom