HARRY MAGUIRE

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Would you take him back?

• Yes, we'd be crazy not to

Votes: 238 88.5%
  • No, he's burnt his bridges. Onto new blood.

Votes: 31 11.5%

• Total voters
Whatever anyone thinks of Harry, he'll take one look at our results and this will confirm he did the right thing by himself. As Patrick Suffaux said, he's set up for life, or close to it. What choice would any of us have made I wonder?

I've said before though. Football isn't like other normal jobs. Maguire's "job of a lifetime" would've come around again in January and June thru August next year so he could've took it then.

If my "job of a lifetime" ever comes up, I'll take it with open arms as it may never come around again.

If you're a good footballer, the offers keep on coming. They've been coming in for years and he's still only 21. Also the interest in him (realistic interest) gets better each year. If he had stuck it out with us another year, he may have got a proper move.

I've said before though. Football isn't like other normal jobs. Maguire's "job of a lifetime" would've come around again in January and June thru August next year so he could've took it then.

If my "job of a lifetime" ever comes up, I'll take it with open arms as it may never come around again.

If you're a good footballer, the offers keep on coming. They've been coming in for years and he's still only 21. Also the interest in him (realistic interest) gets better each year. If he had stuck it out with us another year, he may have got a proper move.

I hear what you're saying Matt, but I think the answer to your post is found in your comment that "he may have got a proper move".

There are several variables involved in this. How close Harry and his agent are, how bright is Harry, there's no point speculating about the future, I doubt that what might be possible next year will interest him. It's a bit like your opinion of Harry and my opinion of him, we may differ, so the valuations that surround our prospective view of HM will therefore change substantially. If this, if that, it's pure conjecture I'm afraid, and when he's confronted with a cast iron offer, his girlfriend bends his ear, his best mate does the same, his agent twists his arm, and what was once a decent relationship between Harry and the club begins to move from warm to cold. The club say they'll offer £8-10K per week, Hull may offer anything upwards of £20-25K per week and guaranteed Premiership football for him to work towards, is it any wonder he went with the known quantity rather than what might be?

Reading Harry Redknapps book ,he says he has never met anyone in football player or manager who has loyalty to the club they support. He was an Arsenal fan but as soon as he became pro he was a supporter of the club that paid him ,and he says all other footballers managers are the same ,it becomes their profession and they cease being a fan. I believe this in my experience of talking to pros and ex pros ,and Maguire didn't even support Utd.

Even at Hull city?

You would be amazed. I never claim to be ITK but have one or two friends in and around football who have told me the salaries of really average Premier League players and even players who have never played a first team game. Youngsters who before they even playing a PL game at bottom half clubs earning the amount you've quoted.

Some of you need to grow up , the lads looking out for number one .he was slow as a Muhammad ali acceptance speech anyway

Reading Harry Redknapps book ,he says he has never met anyone in football player or manager who has loyalty to the club they support. He was an Arsenal fan but as soon as he became pro he was a supporter of the club that paid him ,and he says all other footballers managers are the same ,it becomes their profession and they cease being a fan. I believe this in my experience of talking to pros and ex pros ,and Maguire didn't even support Utd.

He never met Dane Whitehouse or Matt Le Tissier then? ;)
Admittedly, they're the only two I could think of but there are exceptions to Harry's rule.

+ Gerrard and Carragher (to a lesser extent)

Carragher was an Everton fan ,he uses him as an example ,saying he became a Liverpool fan ,think Gerrard was too. Whitehouse and Le tissier didn't play for anyone else so it isn't relevant.

If someone was paying me 20 k a week for 3/ 3.5 hours work , free medicals , free gym and physio first class travel and hotels and subsidised , or even free car , I think Id show some loyalty, never mind those on 50 k 100k or 200k a week

He never met Dane Whitehouse or Matt Le Tissier then? ;)
Admittedly, they're the only two I could think of but there are exceptions to Harry's rule.

+ Gerrard and Carragher (to a lesser extent)

Carragher was an Everton fan ,he uses him as an example ,saying he became a Liverpool fan ,think Gerrard was too. Whitehouse and Le tissier didn't play for anyone else so it isn't relevant.

But Whitehouse and Le Tissier didn't play for anyone else because they remained loyal to the club they supported and played for.
They both had opportunites to move to bigger clubs on bigger wages with a better chance of silverware and they turned the chance down.
Redknapp says he has never met a footballer who would show that loyalty, that's why they are very relevant.

Gerrard and Carragher to a lesser extent because they were already with a big club.
But they still turned down the chance of regular league titles, trophies and Champions League competition.
Most players wouldn't and don't but there are the odd exceptions.

If someone was paying me 20 k a week for 3/ 3.5 hours work , free medicals , free gym and physio first class travel and hotels and subsidised , or even free car , I think Id show some loyalty, never mind those on 50 k 100k or 200k a week

Yes and even more loyal to someone paying you twice as much as you're on to do the same. It's all relative.

If they dont learn to shut out the emotions a fan feels at a very young age they will never make it as pro's

The ones who come across as loyal or commited are just better at acting

If they dont learn to shut out the emotions a fan feels at a very young age they will never make it as pro's

The ones who come across as loyal or commited are just better at acting

I think you need to give football a break mate. your headed for a nervous breakdown at this rate.

Not sure this is the right board as he's no longer one of ours, but I have it on fairly good authority that our ex CB is off on loan down the road to Rotherham

I heard about this a couple of days back, but didn't feel it right to say owt due to where I heard it from. However, it's now being talked about on MM, so I suppose why not?

We'll see

Regular readers of this forum might have cottoned on that I have little respect for a player that goes for money rather than playing and developing - Many on here have expressed the view that they would take the coin and sit in their arse any day of the week but I maintain that being a professional footballer is a real privilege and if you take the money too early you will regret it because the career is so short. Playing and the memories of playing are the only real things you take with you. If you don't play, you are nothing - certainly not a footballer.

Now, if Harry can't get a game at Hull (having gone to follow his dream) and then moves to the Millers during a relegation season back down from whence they came then he will have lost what little respect I might have had left for him.

I never begrudged him a move at the time IF he moved to a club in a higher division and was playing week in week out. If that was the case I would have been fine with that and wished him luck - happy that he gave us good years of service. What really pissed me off though is that it was so fucking obvious that he was going to be one of those stock piled Premier League punts - where Prem teams accumulate upcoming talent just in case - yet he still listened to his agent and believed the lying fucker wasn't really just looking to feather his own nest.

Having stated that I wouldn't begrudge him a move for regular first team football at a higher level, if you had told me he was moving from the Blades to fucking newly promoted, via the play offs, Rotherham then I would have told you to fuck right off with a tone of utter incredularity. And I suspect many more on here would have thought exactly the same.

So Harry, you could have played every game of this season with us and still be learning your trade and gaining useful experience. You could have gone at the end of this season for big money of we had failed to get promotion - a better player and one who could command a first team place at a club in a higher division. Instead you had your head turned and opted for the wonga. Well, mate, I am pretty fucking sure you should have listened to Nigel Clough because you definitely made the wonga decision.

He's effectively taken half a season out of his career, will he be the player he could have been by not playing?

If it carries on like this he could miss a full season.

He's effectively taken half a season out of his career, will he be the player he could have been by not playing?

If it carries on like this he could miss a full season.

Or maybe he knows what the rest of us know. That he's a million miles from Premiership quality and grabbed his chance while he could...

Wonder why he has been at the last three United matches and did not go and watch the Millers lose on Saturday?

Back
Top Bottom