Ticks All the Boxes for Me

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ted Bates, I did try and warn you not to take this too seriously Ted, but trying to impress us with your comment about 'big money' signings is completely underwhelming. Maybe big money by your standards, but hardly on a par with the genuinely big teams in the Premiership. All financed by players who didn't fancy hanging about any longer either, so with that influx of cash you've done well to buy players like Tadic, impressed by him so well done.

But as I say, that influx of new talent was financed by selling players. So what next, does your board have the readies to repeat this feat again, or will you have to sell to make ends meet? Your moment in the sun should be enjoyed Ted, where are we now, end of October and already dreaming of being a 'big' team? Get a grip Ted, it's how things tend to go when you're on a roll, but it does come to an end, and then you'll reflect on that moment when you momentarily looked down on the rest of the divisions. And how long do you think Koeman will hang about for? As I say Ted, enjoy this moment.

If you look at Southampton's fixture list those League Cup games were nicely put into a schedule where otherwise they played only once a week. Each cup game were followed by three or four weeks of weekend to weekend fixtures. In terms of fatigue, there has been little reason to rest players in any of those cup games.

The game will come at a time when your fixtures are piling up for the first time this season. Little niggles that players recover from if they have a full week till the next match, may mean they're a doubt if the next match is a couple of days later. It's been like this all season for us, but we actually have decent strength in depth for this level, as suggested by forum members on here rarely agreeing completely on our best line up. We seem to make three or four changes every match and although many have been enforced, it's meant that we have kept a large group of players reasonably match fit. Our results and performances are still improving, so we've proven already that we deal with a tight fixture list. You haven't. And you don't know what Koeman will do.

Do you think the Sheffield United squad is likely to be fitter than Southampton's?

Do you think Sheffield United have more squad depth than Southampton? Southampton have loaned two players from their under 21 squad to a club in League One that is above Sheffield United in the table and are regular starters for them.

Motivation is always a huge part of cup upsets, I'm sure you acknowledge that. We were underdogs when we beat West Ham this season, and Aston Villa, Fulham, Charlton and Nottingham Forest last season. We've shown that we can cause upsets against teams that have better players than us. The same type of tactics, focus and motivation means we could have a chance against Southampton as well. Our players will definitely view the game as one of the highlights of the season. Having just played Man City, Man Utd and Arsenal, will your players regard Sheffield United away as one of their highlights?

Southampton's squad have looked extremely motivated in League Cup games this season, they will see the League Cup as a good and realistic chance for the club to win a trophy and get into Europe.

Ted Bates, I did try and warn you not to take this too seriously Ted, but trying to impress us with your comment about 'big money' signings is completely underwhelming. Maybe big money by your standards, but hardly on a par with the genuinely big teams in the Premiership. All financed by players who didn't fancy hanging about any longer either, so with that influx of cash you've done well to buy players like Tadic, impressed by him so well done.

But as I say, that influx of new talent was financed by selling players. So what next, does your board have the readies to repeat this feat again, or will you have to sell to make ends meet? Your moment in the sun should be enjoyed Ted, where are we now, end of October and already dreaming of being a 'big' team? Get a grip Ted, it's how things tend to go when you're on a roll, but it does come to an end, and then you'll reflect on that moment when you momentarily looked down on the rest of the divisions. And how long do you think Koeman will hang about for? As I say Ted, enjoy this moment.

2012/13 - £37m spent
2013/14 - £36m spent
2013/14 - £60m spent with options to buy loan players Bertrand and Alderweireld for a further £18m

Thats £151m of incoming players in 3 seasons. Some of that of course funded by outgoings this season, but still have spent more than they sold. There is an endless stream of high quality players from the club's academy, Southampton completely dominate youth recruitment in the South of England.

Plus the club have spent £30m+ upgrading the training ground this summer.

Even without player sales this summer the club isn't short of cash. The Liebherr family, infrastructure at the stadium, training ground and the academy mean the club is on very solid foundations.

Do you think the Sheffield United squad is likely to be fitter than Southampton's?

Do you think Sheffield United have more squad depth than Southampton? Southampton have loaned two players from their under 21 squad to a club in League One that is above Sheffield United in the table and are regular starters for them.

Southampton's squad have looked extremely motivated in League Cup games this season, they will see the League Cup as a good and realistic chance for the club to win a trophy and get into Europe.

Thanks for that, Ted.

I think we've exhausted the Mighty Southampton topic for today, don't you?

Just what the forum needed today, a bit of arrogance from a fucking Southampton fan. What a joke!

You have a very good team at the moment mate; enjoy it. But it's one moment in time. When I was a kid Southampton wouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as United.

That was a daft comment.

Since I was born in 1966 United have only been in a higher division than Southampton in 6 seasons - 1973-76, 2006-07 and 2009-11.

On the other hand Southampton have been in a higher division than us for 30 seasons - 1968-71, 1978-90, 1994-2005 and since 2011

They have had 38 seasons in the top flight in that period, we have had 12.

That was a daft comment.

Since I was born in 1966 United have only been in a higher division than Southampton in 6 seasons - 1973-76, 2006-07 and 2009-11.

On the other hand Southampton have been in a higher division than us for 30 seasons - 1968-71, 1978-90, 1994-2005 and since 2011

Only daft if Pinchy wasn't a kid in 1973-1976 then.
Or as I suspect in 1898.

Ted Bates, my god man, you do take this seriously don't you? I bet you're a scream at a dinner party, all those facts and figures must act like the most lethal dose of insomnia imaginable.

Yep, great youth recruitment, let's see, Shaw, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott, Chambers, Lallana, you produce 'em, someone else will come calling with a cheque you can't say no to.

On a serious note, your not too distant past has had the same turmoil as many other clubs, this one included, so enjoy all you want Teddy, tis the end of the season that matters, not where you're placed in October.

Cant believe some of you arguing with a southampton fan about who is better.show some humility ffs .sound like the MASSIVE !

Do you think the Sheffield United squad is likely to be fitter than Southampton's?.

I'd be shocked if your squad wasn't considerably fitter than ours. It was the same with West Ham.

The squad depth will matter if Koeman chooses to rotate. Match fitness/sharpness is about having played a lot of first team football recently. If Koeman wants/needs to rest Pelle and Long has a knock, you'd have to play someone (Mayuka?) who's played fewer games than whoever we're likely to play up front. It could affect the way you play, don't you think?

By most accounts you weren't all that impressive against Millwall reserves, and it will be a different type of game at the Lane compared to your wins at Arsenal and Stoke. As said, the game (unlike your other league cup fixtures) will also be following some high profile other games for you, and it will be just before the hectic Christmas schedule.

That was a daft comment.

I didn't mention what division we played in. They have won one trophy in their entire history. They have nothing like our fanbase or potential.

Oh, and we beat them in the 1902 Cup Final.

I'm not attracted by arrogance from a source that has much to be modest about.

I didn't mention what division we played in. They have won one trophy in their entire history. They have nothing like our fanbase or potential.

Oh, and we beat them in the 1902 Cup Final.

I'm not attracted by arrogance from a source that has much to be modest about.

Fair enough. Bury have won two trophies, so I suppose they must be bigger than Southampton.

Honestly, we have won nowt since 1925. Since the sixties Southampton have won the cup, been cup runners up, been runners up in the league cup and the league and played in Europe a few times. Our pinnacle of acheivement is two seasons in the top division top ten; no Europe; no cup finals.

Call me daft, but I would swap Southampton's history over the past 50 years for our "fanbase and potential"; a potential that never gets fulfilled.

Fair enough. Bury have won two trophies, so I suppose they must be bigger than Southampton.

Honestly, we have won nowt since 1925. Since the sixties Southampton have won the cup, been cup runners up, been runners up in the league cup and the league and played in Europe a few times. Our pinnacle of acheivement is two seasons in the top division top ten; no Europe; no cup finals.

Call me daft, but I would swap Southampton's history over the past 50 years for our "fanbase and potential"; a potential that never gets fulfilled.

I've nothing at all against Southampon, Darren. There is much to admire about them. They play an attractive brand of football and indeed got out of our division quite recently demonstrating that proper football succeeds at any level.

They are not, though, and never will be, a footballing powerhouse. Ted seems to think this is some sort of David v Goliath situation and we should know our place as minnows to their Titans. He is wrong and, which is more, disrespectful.

I've nothing at all against Southampon, Darren. There is much to admire about them. They play an attractive brand of football and indeed got out of our division quite recently demonstrating that proper football succeeds at any level.

They are not, though, and never will be, a footballing powerhouse. Ted seems to think this is some sort of David v Goliath situation and we should know our place as minnows to their Titans. He is wrong and, which is more, disrespectful.

They are near the top of the PL, we are near the top of the 3rd Division. At the moment, we are the David and they are the Goliath. Only a fool would think otherwise.

And comparatively over the last 50 years, Southampton have been much more succesful than United. No neutral fan under 70 would think SUFC were "bigger" than Southampton.

They are near the top of the PL, we are near the top of the 3rd Division. At the moment, we are the David and they are the Goliath. Only a fool would think otherwise.

And comparatively over the last 50 years, Southampton have been much more succesful than United. No neutral fan under 70 would think SUFC were "bigger" than Southampton.

Ah, first arrogance now a cap-doffing, forelock-tugging inferiority complex.

I'm quite sure that we're 'bigger' than Southampton, but then again, I'm a fool.

These are the games you die for after spending four wasted years in the Pub League - we are capable of beating them on our day - Ask Villa, Fulham, Forest, West Ham all supposed better teams than us yet we triumphed on the day !
BDTBL should be packed to the rafters for this game - shades of Leeds,Sunderland and Liverpool matches in 2003 !

Ah, first arrogance now a cap-doffing, forelock-tugging inferiority complex.

I'm quite sure that we're 'bigger' than Southampton, but then again, I'm a fool.

No, realism actually, as opposed to viewing things through red and white tinted glasses. This from the man who criticises others for naive bladey bladeness.

Using what criteria? Nothing from the last 50 years suggests you are.

He's right that we have a bit bigger fan base. We have been in the same division in 14 seasons in the last 50 years and United have had bigget attendances in 10 of those seasons and in all of the last 7 (1990-94 , 2005-06 and 2007-09).

But, as I say, in on the field succes, you lot win hands down :-(

And now sycophancy...

What a day. I've devoted more thinking time to small, insignificant but thoroughly admirable Southampton FC than in the whole of the rest of my life!

Sorry Ted, you've had more than you merit already. No more for the time being.

Southampton are currently 9/2 third favourites to win the League Cup, Sheffield United are 66/1 to win the cup.

There is a huge gulf in quality and budgets between the two squads. Of course its not impossible for United to win against Saints, but they are massive underdogs for good reason.

You can flip that logic the other way and say Sheffield United aren't used to playing good Premier League sides full of internationals signed for big money.

Now then Ted,

Were you on the quiet end tonight?

Your big money internationals were out-footballed from start to finish by the massive underdogs. Not outbattled by a bunch of minnows on a dodgy pitch but out skilled by a vastly superior team on the night. Your keeper saved you from a hiding.

Whatever your league status, you were beaten by a team and fans United, representing a club that you will never match.

I think that's it so far as Mighty Southampton are concerned. Don't you think, Ted?

Ted?

Ted?.......,

Ted..................

Now then Ted,

Were you on the quiet end tonight?

Your big money internationals were out-footballed from start to finish by the massive underdogs. Not outbattled by a bunch of minnows on a dodgy pitch but out skilled by a vastly superior team on the night. Your keeper saved you from a hiding.

Whatever your league status, you were beaten by a team and fans United, representing a club that you will never match.

I think that's it so far as Mighty Southampton are concerned. Don't you think, Ted?

Ted?

Ted?.......,

Ted Bates , your manager was not very gracious in defeat . Let us hope that Mr Mourinho is more humble in defeat after the semi final second leg at BDTBL.

UTB

Ted..................

Do you feel a bit of a twat tonight?

Back
Top Bottom