saints

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

In that case Ted, tell 'em to book their tickets asap. If you guys bring 2 thousand to Stoke, we'd expect you to bring a lot more for a cup game on a Saturday. The ground will be rocking, and as we saw last season, a cup game does create a special buzz at Bramall Lane. Do not underestimate us, but I do like your man Tadic though.

Sorry IIYB, it's probably going to be a Tuesday. Should be a similar turnout from the Soton lot though - 2,000 - 2,500 and I'd expect about 25,000 in total if we get our pricing right.

They are 2nd in the top flight and already have 19 points from 9 Premier League games and a +15 goal difference, they have shown themselves more than capable of getting results in the Premier League.

With all due respect, those 9 games have been against Liverpool (L), West Brom (D), West Ham, Newcastle, Swansea, QPR, Spurs (L), Sunderland and Stoke.
Of those, only Swansea, West Ham and Liverpool are in the top half. It's been a relatively kind fixture list for you guys so far - not that that should take anything away from your results, which I think it's fair to say have taken a lot of people by surprise.

I think its you that is underestimating them. They are playing extremely well, packed full of internationals, full of confidence and the manager is playing strong sides in League Cup games.

I don't think anyone is underestimating just how difficult this tie is. However, we're talking about the last 8 in a cup competition: there are no easy ties. Compared to Liverpool, Chelsea or Spurs, though, I can see why some United fans are viewing this at the easier end of the scale.

My potential tie difficulty ranking:
1 - Chelsea (A)
2 - Spurs (A)
3 - Liverpool (A)
4 - Southampton (A)
5 - Chelsea (H)
6 - Southampton (H)
7 - Liverpool (H)
8 - Newcastle (A)
9 - Spurs (H)
10 - Newcastle (H)
10 - Derby (A)
11 - Derby (H)
12 - Bournemouth (A)
13 - Bournemouth (H)

I fully think Southampton should win, and should win comfortably. However, football is a funny old game at times and we've got previous when it comes to upsetting teams.

Ronald Koeman has been taking the League Cup very seriously this season and have fielded very strong sides in all three games this season, (away games at Millwall, Arsenal and Stoke. Southampton) are likely to do the same for the quarter final as they'll see it a good opportunity to win a trophy and a route into Europe.

Between now and the quarter final Southampton have...

Hull City
Leicester City
Aston VIlla
Man City
Arsenal
Man Utd
Burnley

They are 2nd in the top flight and already have 19 points from 9 Premier League games and a +15 goal difference, they have shown themselves more than capable of getting results in the Premier League.

I think its you that is underestimating them. They are playing extremely well, packed full of internationals, full of confidence and the manager is playing strong sides in League Cup games.

Ted, no one is underestimating your team. I heard Koeman say how much they want to win this competition, so I'm sure you'll put out a strong team. Many of us have mentioned the quality of football you've played, especially since you've had to rebuild your team after you lost many quality players.

With all due respect, those 9 games have been against Liverpool (L), West Brom (D), West Ham, Newcastle, Swansea, QPR, Spurs (L), Sunderland and Stoke.
Of those, only Swansea, West Ham and Liverpool are in the top half. It's been a relatively kind fixture list for you guys so far .

You can only beat what is in front of you. Saints are doing that better than the "big" sides.

Man City have played...

- Stoke at home
- West Ham away

... and got 0 points from them.

Saints have had those same fixtures and got 6 points and are above City in the table.

Man Utd have dropped points to Swansea, Burnley, Leicester, West Brom and Sunderland in their opening 9 games. Is that not an "easy" list of fixtures? Saints are 7 points ahead of United!

Last edited:
problem for the Saints is.. Ronald Koemann will (justifiably) get the manager of the month award. .and then it will all go to sh*t :D
as long as we do better than an 8 nil defeat then we can consider it a good effort IMO

problem for the Saints is.. Ronald Koemann will (justifiably) get the manager of the month award. .and then it will all go to sh*t :D

Ronald Koeman won Premier League manager of the month for September.

The next three games after he was announced as winner...

- Saints beat Sunderland 8-0
- Saints beat Stoke 1-0
- Saints beat Stoke 3-2

"Manager of the month curse", what manager of the month curse?

- Saints beat Stoke 1-0
- Saints beat Stoke 3-2

Ted, you're being played mate. If you allow us to we'll push buttons to get a response. Yes, it'll be a tough game for us, but we're looking forward to it. You won't find us lacking and the atmosphere will be excellent.

- Saints beat Stoke 1-0
- Saints beat Stoke 3-2

Having to play Stoke all the time??

Having to play Stoke all the time??

That would be a curse! Despite what some try to make out they are still a long ball team under Mark Hughes. You'd need a neck brace if you were a Stoke season ticket holder.

the clue is in the smiley.. it's called 'banter' mate ;)
some of us can actually remember Ted Bates :D

Every time I walk past a Ted Bates shop, I always tell myself the same little joke, that he must have been a hell of a guy, managing Southampton and doing pioneering work in men's fashion.

I would tell the joke out loud, but I'm never in the company of anybody who'd get it without an explanation, they'll either have heard of one Ted Bates, or the other, but not both.

Anyway, welcome Ted, whichever one you are :)

I expect it will either be on TV or there will be a stream. Second in the Prem versus the lowest-placed team left in the competition is surely an attractive game.

There'll be one live match on the Tuesday, and one on the Weds, so two out of the four games will be live on Sky. And even if we're not on Sky, a foreign TV station will surely pick it up. I seem to remember when we wer playing West Ham a stream was available for another non-Sky game.

I expect it will either be on TV or there will be a stream. Second in the Prem versus the lowest-placed team left in the competition is surely an attractive game.

There'll be one live match on the Tuesday, and one on the Weds, so two out of the four games will be live on Sky. And even if we're not on Sky, a foreign TV station will surely pick it up. I seem to remember when we wer playing West Ham a stream was available for another non-Sky game.

Spurs v Newcastle will be one live game. All PL tie, best in the world, etc Sky will not resist that sort of publicity. The other will either be Chelsea or the Scallies as Sky love showing both. Either way we will be well down the pecking order for TV.

Nothing against Southampton, but I've always hated Koeman since his interview after they smashed Man U. Something along the lines of "doesn't matter who we play Manchester United or Sheffield United". Still hold a grudge 20 years later!

Nothing against Southampton, but I've always hated Koeman since his interview after they smashed Man U. Something along the lines of "doesn't matter who we play Manchester United or Sheffield United". Still hold a grudge 20 years later!

Just idle curiosity mate - North or South? If it's South you'll be well fed, but if it's the land of the short, podgy dictator you may well be struggling.

Twas ever thus - thought you'd be used to that by now wiz. The day we are a fashionable club will be the day I drop dead with shock. Let them undervalue and dismiss us all they like - will only get our lads fired up and focussed. I'm praying for cold wind and that sort of drizzle that penetrates the bones and saps the soul - oh and lots of balloons, a sell-out at BDTBL and the loudest rendition of Greasy Chip Butty ever heard. I so wish I could be there.

UTB
Had to get it off my chest:DAnd don't worry mate,we'll make it a proud day/night to be a blade whether we win or lose,i'm pretty confident though that it will be a win,don't ask me why:cool:

Spurs v Newcastle will be one live game. All PL tie, best in the world, etc Sky will not resist that sort of publicity. The other will either be Chelsea or the Scallies as Sky love showing both. Either way we will be well down the pecking order for TV.

When can we expect this to be decided?

When can we expect this to be decided?

It will be broadcast live on TV outside of the UK and there will be a stream of the game, its a League Cup quarter final.

Southampton's 2nd round game away at Millwall had a stream, so did the Arsenal and Stoke games.

Back
Top Bottom