finances and loan striker

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'm fairly certain that when Murph came to us there were words of caution about his susceptibility to injury. Ultimately, (and hopefully this isn't the kiss of death), he's been fit for the majority of his stay at the lane.

If Davies is on loan with an option to buy all the better. We get a potentially very good striker for his level with no real risk to the club.

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain that when Murph came to us there were words of caution about his susceptibility to injury. Ultimately, (and hopefully this isn't the kiss of death), he's been fit for the majority of his stay at the lane.
The better example is Wallace, who has never managed more than 45% of games in a season, and who looks like he'll keep that up.

I take your point re a loan though. If his worst case scenario is he plays a couple of games and doesn't score, and then disappears back, we don't lose anything.

Well you can see this transfer being a massive failure from a mile away, the man is a crock.

I'd rather keep the finances and keep the Lump and McNulty as the preferred strikers.

prudence is no bad thing , when cardiff first got craig bellamy on loan from man city ciah paid 85% of his wages , we need to make sure we as a league one club get the best ratio of payment we can to free up money for other things

prudence is no bad thing , when cardiff first got craig bellamy on loan from man city ciah paid 85% of his wages , we need to make sure we as a league one club get the best ratio of payment we can to free up money for other things

I think Bellamy himself wrote off a large chunk.

with us having a restricted budget , as per pro league rules we cant put all oue eggs in one strikers basket
if we pay some ridiculous wages to a forward who then cops an injury we are left high and dry

Do people not realise that some of our best signings are the underwhelming ones; Wayne Allison, Neil Shipperley, Del Geary, Keith Gillespie, Rob Hulse, Pesky, Francois - those just off top of my head

The last 3 don't support your point. Pesky was injured when he was signed, and for all his merits was constantly beset by niggles. Hulse was out for 9 months and was shocking when he came back - what was it, no goalsin 20 games? And Jean Francois managed a grand total of 1 game in the last 15 months of his contract.

We were unlucky with the latter two, but we should not be wasting money on players who are injured more than they are fit.

Brayford came to a team in the 3rd division, a lot lower than 6th. He came because he believed in the man leading a great club back to greatness. Others will too, albeit, not many.

bit harsh on Hulse . broken leg at chelsea can happen to any player
lets not foget buying Ebrell our first milliom pound player , was it 8 minutes he lasted
and chris guthrie , might as well set fire to a bag of cash

No but I'm suggesting the omens aren't good. Lets be right, if he was any good why the fuck would he be coming to a 6th placed 3rd Division team?

That's bit of a catch 22. If our league position dictates no good players will come should Clough just give up then? Clough has a good record of turning up under rated players, my problem with Davies is that he may be quality but never get on the pitch.

Clough seems to love gambling on unknown quantities who might turn out to be surprise packages. Players with injury problems ( Wallace, Davies), unproven but promising youngsters (Scougal, McNulty) or players out of favour or out of form (Brayford, Basham, Paynter). He doesn't seem to like taking the Bristol, Wolves approach of hoovering up the best players in League One. Maybe that's a reflection of investment but I think I'm right in saying his recruitment policy at Derby was similar.

To be fair he has brought in gems but his gambles don't always pay off, particularly when it comes to strikers. Paynter didn't work out, the jury's still out on Higdon and Clough himself doesn't seem too impressed by McNulty.

'Tis a difficult one this, Wallace is highly regarded and under normal circumstances would have been a great signing but, playing odd 45 minutes every 4 or5 games, not going to be much use to us, is this lad ever going to be fully fit again ?. Does anyone know what Davies fitness record is at the moment, has he had a run of games lately in either first team or reserves ?. Whys does every transfer or loan target become such a long, difficult, protracted affair ?.

Back
Top Bottom