mcnulty

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

they used to moan about Keith Edwards the same

Nail on the head, mate. I just had a flashback to the same argument being used against King Keith thirty year ago.

"Yes, but apart from those 163 goals, he didn't do much else...."

Way to miss the point, folks. I love the bust-a-gut try-hards like Booker as much as the next Blade, but it's goal-scorers that win you matches and McNulty looks like he has it.

McNulty does not run the channels enough ( according to Mr Clough) . Has long as he keeps scoring does it really matter . Keep it rolling Mr Clough. Played very well , Centre backs i thought were sound ,and looked to fit well together . The faces are fitting with Mr Clough.

UTB
A good striker doesn't have to run the channels, a good striker finds his own space and takes his chances!

You must be listening to a different one to me, he said he needs to run the channels more that's all, and I agree with Clough.
Why play 1 upfront with attacking wingers if u want your striker to run channels! Not a dig at u metal more Clough, 2 upfront 1 runs channels 1 makes space in box.

If you're running the channels you won't be scoring many goals,obviously the person running them won't anyway.

If you're running the channels you won't be scoring many goals,obviously the person running them won't anyway.
Like bassett had deano doing for a while and his confidence went to cock, a goal literally off his arse at chelsea brought it back

Nigel had said from the start that he will bring Marc along with an eye to the future. I believe that was a masterstroke by the gaffer. Took the pressure off and allowed Marc to flourish. This is the same thing he did last year with Scougs.

Personally, I thought that Nigel sounded positive and forceful. I believe that he was, like any good manager, trying to keep the players' feet firmly on the ground. We are moving up and in Marc's case, some are calling him the Saviour, which I believe he is, but it will only be the case, if he is continually searching for improvement.

You will find it hard to find any player that speaks badly of Nigel. Brayford, Davies and others were prepared to drop down divisions to work with him. Clearly, his man-management skils are not as bad as some like to imagine.

Last edited:
Personally, I thought that Nigel sounded positive and forceful. I believe that he was, like any good manager, trying to keep the players' feet firmly on the ground.

Agreed - I think this just a part of Clough tailoring his man-management to the particular player. Compare for example against the praise he heaped on Terry Kennedy last week. Or picking out McGinn and Porter for praise after their recent Paint Pot appearances. I don't think it works for everyone (clearly it didn't with Butler, and perhaps not with Collins either), but NC strikes me as someone that's always demanding more of his teams. We haven't had someone that's done that publicly for some time. The likes of Weir and Wilson didn't, and if you'd have pulled the cord at the back of Neil Warnock during his post-match interviews here 'I can't fault the lads' would be said more often than not.

McNulty's a young player who still has a lot to learn. I'm sure Clough is just trying to keep his mind on developing his talent and warning him not to let a few goals and praise from the fans go to his head.
I think it's exactly what he should be doing. McNulty is clearly a great finisher, but Clough is challenging him to improve other aspects of his game and become an even more effective striker.

I have never been of the "one size fits all" school of thinking so if there is a difference in expectation or personality I would expect a good manager to vary his approach between players to get the best out of them - it doesn't necessarily reflect the manager's view of a player's worth. No use slagging someone off for not doing something they can't do - so in a strange way this might reflect a high expectation from NC of MM.

Keith Edwards has already been mentioned but the King of all non channel runners was Jimmy Greaves. The lazy sod;)

Good point Sirius, Greaves was what my dad referred to as a goal ponce. The thing is, he had a magical instinct and could anticipate like no one before or since. He was fortunate to have a decent partner in Gilzean, and clearly Alf Ramsay didn't see him as part of his plans, but the man could put the ball in the onion bag, time after time after time after......

Good point Sirius, Greaves was what my dad referred to as a goal ponce. The thing is, he had a magical instinct and could anticipate like no one before or since. He was fortunate to have a decent partner in Gilzean, and clearly Alf Ramsay didn't see him as part of his plans, but the man could put the ball in the onion bag, time after time after time after......

My dad reckoned Greaves was the best English goalscorer he ever saw.

I think you might be re-writing history a little. Greaves played in the all of the group games of 66 before being injured. He didn't regain his place when fit.

He also had a remarkable goalscoring record for a guy who didn't do warm ups and would be seen having a pie and pint every saturday about 2:30pm on Tottenham High Court.

Apologies as my best mates dad was an avid Spurs supporter.

My dad reckoned Greaves was the best English goalscorer he ever saw.

He was certainly one of the very best. I recall Chelsea's Tambling being half decent, and then there was one of my favourites, Denis Law. The more recent examples of Lineker and Shearer deserve to be mentioned, especially Shearer, who I think would have excelled in any period. But yes, Greaves' claim to be the best of the best is a valid claim.

Yes sheffielder, once Ramsay settled on Hunt and Hurst, Greaves was on the bench for the tournament. Not quite rewriting history, just a slight oversight on my part.

I sit behind the Blades "technical area" and witnessed Cloughie giving McNulty vociferous stick for not making runs early on in the game to give passing options to our players in the middle of the park when nothing was on for them. I don't think that he was wrong either.

Having said that, I really do like MMcN. His runs normally are putting opposing defenders under pressure to release the ball in a hurry, and knows where to be when it comes to getting goals, not unlike Billy Sharp in his day.

In my opinion he also did more against their giant centre back (number 24) than Higdon did when he replaced him. He accelerates so fast and is quick on the turn, the big lads can't cope with him. His biggest disadvantage is that he is not 25 feet tall so he can reach JCR's crosses. :)

Hope mcnulty takes criticism in the right way because cloughie ripped him a new one on radio sheffield.
I'm not one for conspiracies but I got the impression that cloughie started JCR and mcnulty because of pressure from the fans to do so... Them he took them off as to say- see they aren't up to it.
As a write this it sounds daft, but I was so pissed off with that substitution last night

I sit behind the Blades "technical area" and witnessed Cloughie giving McNulty vociferous stick for not making runs early on in the game to give passing options to our players in the middle of the park when nothing was on for them. I don't think that he was wrong either.

Having said that, I really do like MMcN. His runs normally are putting opposing defenders under pressure to release the ball in a hurry, and knows where to be when it comes to getting goals, not unlike Billy Sharp in his day.

In my opinion he also did more against their giant centre back (number 24) than Higdon did when he replaced him. He accelerates so fast and is quick on the turn, the big lads can't cope with him. His biggest disadvantage is that he is not 25 feet tall so he can reach JCR's crosses. :)

That was best in the first half when Campbell-Ryce got in down the right and put in a cross that went over everyone (not really his fault, he hand to play it blind). Murphy picked it up on the left and crossed it back in, apparently in the belief that we had a giraffe at Centre Forward and it sailed back out to Campbell-Ryce! A very elaborate 1-2.

As long as the criticism is specific and football related and the player is given more chances to try and get it right I don't think there's a problem. Clough repeated the criticism in the BP interview, but wasn't quite as harsh. Clough does seem to love Baxter though, saying he would have started up front if he'd been fit.

Yes sheffielder, once Ramsay settled on Hunt and Hurst, Greaves was on the bench for the tournament. Not quite rewriting history, just a slight oversight on my part.

Greaves played in all the three group matches but was unavailable for the quarter and semi final matches because of the bad injury he received in the 3rd group game. He was passed fit to play in the final but Ramsey decided to stick with the team that beat Portugal in the semis. Subs were not used in the World Cup until 1970 so there was no bench for players in the 1966 World Cup. You can seein the photo below of Greaves wearing his suit during the 1966 World Cup final. Ian Callaghan and Gerry Byrne are the other England players not selected for the final in their casual wear or suit

article-2486740-192C7DE700000578-952_964x641.jpg

I'm sat on Ennis lower

Always fancied her sitting on my lower to be honest.

Great goal from McNulty last night. That's what goalscorers do and we've not had a proper one for a while now.

Enjoyed this thread enormously except for the incorrect use of the word "scapegoat" for the 1,534th time on this site.

Greaves played in all the three group matches but was unavailable for the quarter and semi final matches because of the bad injury he received in the 3rd group game. He was passed fit to play in the final but Ramsey decided to stick with the team that beat Portugal in the semis. Subs were not used in the World Cup until 1970 so there was no bench for players in the 1966 World Cup. You can seein the photo below of Greaves wearing his suit during the 1966 World Cup final. Ian Callaghan and Gerry Byrne are the other England players not selected for the final in their casual wear or suit

article-2486740-192C7DE700000578-952_964x641.jpg

Silent you are a mine of info. Appreciate the correction, but I do recall Greaves' mentioning how sick he felt at being left out. Can't blame Ramsay, his call made us world beaters.

Greaves was what my dad referred to as a goal ponce.

Is that what my dad called a shitliner ?

He also had a remarkable goalscoring record for a guy who didn't do warm ups and would be seen having a pie and pint every saturday about 2:30pm on Tottenham High Court.

He liked a quick smoke in the bog at half time too - helped the pie and pint go down.

Great player :).

Just heard Clough's interview and if I was Macnulty I would be gutted, he basically said in not so many words that he doesn't rate him.

Appalling man management.

Nigel does say some bizarre things, and not sure I like his continual criticism of players in public. Also does Neill Collins who no matter what, has been a good servant to the club deserve to be treated the way he has been ?.

Nigel does say some bizarre things, and not sure I like his continual criticism of players in public. Also does Neill Collins who no matter what, has been a good servant to the club deserve to be treated the way he has been ?.
Totally agree regards Collins,he could just come out and say it's tactical or make something else up like he was doing at the start of the season,instead he really has berated his performances when i have to admit he wasn't the only one playing shite and there does seem to be certain players he's singling out.

Totally agree regards Collins,he could just come out and say it's tactical or make something else up like he was doing at the start of the season,instead he really has berated his performances when i have to admit he wasn't the only one playing shite and there does seem to be certain players he's singling out.

Collins seems to me to be one of those players that you drop to the bench and it gives him the necessary kick up the backside when he comes back in, but to omit him completely well..........

Back
Top Bottom