Do a Cockney Walk and become a good player overnight.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

he is our Lazarus ,has been written of 3 times and come back each time ,often in conjunction with a decent midfield partner and players around him.

As a long-term 'know it all' I say it's no coincidence that he's playing so much better under NC, than previously.

People have rightly warmed to him since his emotional interview last season and then the 'walk'. I certainly have.

At the moment it's James and Michael for Central Midfield isn't it? Impressive on Saturday, the pair of them. If and when we go up, though, it's 'thanks for everything, Michael...all good things come to an end'.

As a long-term 'know it all' I say it's no coincidence that he's playing so much better under NC, than previously.

People have rightly warmed to him since his emotional interview last season and then the 'walk'. I certainly have.

At the moment it's James and Michael for Central Midfield isn't it? Impressive on Saturday, the pair of them. If and when we go up, though, it's 'thanks for everything, Michael...all good things come to an end'.
Totally agree pinchers,especially regarding the end of season quote,he is not good enough for the Championship,he's done a good job for us recently,but the sooner people who love Doyle as a player realise this,the better.

I was a big critic of Doyle up to that sending off last season but since that day he has smartened himself up maybe Nigel had a few words but Doyle deserves a lot of credit for the improvement, you can't question his commitment to the club. I did think it was a mistake by Wilson to give him a long contract but he is now showing his worth to the team, well done to the bloke.

I think Doyle is ok if playing in a team that's got plenty of attacking threats and are either dominating games, or defending very deep. Sometimes you need someone who's tough and isn't afraid of making a foul tackle. He also deserves credit for his leadership qualities, as we don't have anyone who looks ready to fully take on that role. He worked well in 2011/12 and the second half of last season. Physically, he's deteriorated slower than I thought, I think he must train well.

But he's got limitations, wouldn't cope in the Championship and should be replaced next season. I haven't been among those who've always put him in suggested teams, even recently. When everybody is fit we have so many exciting options now, especially in midfield, that it's tempting to go for a selection of them than Doyle.

As a long term Doyle fan I find it ironic how much he is appreciated since "the walk".

I think any player that winds up those poor unfortunate West Ham fans by doing the cockney walk should be exterminated. :)

I was a big critic of Doyle up to that sending off last season but since that day he has smartened himself up maybe Nigel had a few words but Doyle deserves a lot of credit for the improvement, you can't question his commitment to the club. I did think it was a mistake by Wilson to give him a long contract but he is now showing his worth to the team, well done to the bloke.

Fully agree metalblade. It's possible he realised how he let so many people down when he got sent off v Fulham. He got slaughtered by the fans after that but full credit to the bloke, he's been one of our most consistent players since then.
I had a bit of a chat with him on Saturday night and he really is a decent bloke. Couldn't understand a word he said but still a nice fella. ;)

Fully agree metalblade. It's possible he realised how he let so many people down when he got sent off v Fulham. He got slaughtered by the fans after that but full credit to the bloke, he's been one of our most consistent players since then.
I had a bit of a chat with him on Saturday night and he really is a decent bloke. Couldn't understand a word he said but still a nice fella. ;)

He was probably asking if you'd like a nice cup of tea....

He got rightly slaughtered after the Fulham match, given that as a captain it was an act of true bellendery that probably cost us the win that day. That said, he responded to it excellently - not dissimilar to Morgs when he similarly got an idiotic sending off in his first season as captain. And we were treated to the extra time winner during the drenching at the Cottage, so I can't say in retrospect that it was necessarily that bad.

Most of the teams that have been successful in my lifetime have had what my dad calls "a dirty bugger" in the side. Fond memories of Trevor Hockey RIP.

Think it's what Bill Shankly referred to as the perfect midfield, each team needs a spreader, a sweater, and a whacker - someone who can spray passes about the pitch, someone who is prepared to run their bollocks off, and someone who, being the designated dirty bastard, will be hated by fans all over the country, apart from the home support of course. So yes, Hockey definitely fell into that select bunch of filthy players. Most teams have had at least one, so any supporter who decries their use should look at his own team before complaining too loudly. Hockey was as unsavoury as they came, so was Norman Hunter, as were Ron Harris at Chelsea, Tommy Smith at Liverpool, and Nobby Stiles at Man Utd. Those were the most notable exponents of the 'They shall not pass' maxim, but there has always been a need for someone to do the niggly stuff as a tactical necessity. My outstanding memory of a terminally dirty team were the Argentinian team who played in the 1966 World Cup, one foul after another, followed by a shrug of the shoulders as if they had no idea why the referee was upset? Alf Ramsey was reduced to calling them 'Animals' due to their behaviour.

The middle 3 on Sat worked a treat, and is IMO, the best combination. Doyle does a great job for the team, Scougall is showing signs of returning to last season`s form, and Wallace is sheer quality at this level. Basham hasn`t got going yet, McGinn has showed more than him in his limited game time, but isn`t consistent enough, Reed is the best passer after Wallace, and the jury is out for me on Dimaio, he needs a loan spell, but I do not believe he will make it at the Lane, despite a fantastic debut last season v Rotherham.

Alf Ramsey was reduced to calling them 'Animals' due to their behaviour.

Brought a smile to my face as I remembered Ramsey running on to the pitch to stop the England players swopping shirts at the end. Nobby was the dirty B in our side. I think Don Revie's Leeds had about 10 dirty b's ( M. Jones being the exception) :rolleyes:.

we're going to sell him to Hull for £2.5m?

He got rightly slaughtered after the Fulham match, given that as a captain it was an act of true bellendery that probably cost us the win that day.

Don't agree, he got vilified by a few who already had it in for him. The way some went off you would have think he murdered someone. Personally think he is limited but has proved to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem. What he did against Fulham was a bit daft but hey, he isn't the first and if memory serves me right a bloke getting paid £350k per week did something dafter last weekend so lets have some perspective eh?

Brought a smile to my face as I remembered Ramsey running on to the pitch to stop the England players swopping shirts at the end. Nobby was the dirty B in our side. I think Don Revie's Leeds had about 10 dirty b's ( M. Jones being the exception) :rolleyes:.

On the whole I'd agree Cyprus, but the exception to that description would have to be Eddie Gray. One of the most talented players I can recall, although he may have stuck a foot out from time to time, he was mostly remembered as someone who could play the game we'd all like to see it played.

To be fair, like many players he's benefitted from the Clough regime.
He seems fitter, more engaged and happier playing under Nigel.
The 'young un's' have got to force him out and that's the way it should be.

'Doyle type players' are always going to receive some stick aren't they?

'Doyle type players' are always going to receive some stick aren't they?

Why are Doyle type players always going to receive stick?

Bob Booker received stick - sensibly asked someone in the know what to do - give 100% was the answer and the rest is history.

My issue with Doyle is this:

He was part of the problem that got us relegated.
He was part of the problem that didn't get us promoted - main reason being - ALWAYS looked for a square pass
, and for the ones that remember, a poor mans butch Wilkins.

NC has sorted Doyle out, which may point to previous managers and coaches not really have a clue how to coach anyone.

Totally happy with Doyles current contribution under NC -he seems much more disciplined, does what he has to do within his capabilities and such receive plaudits for turning his Sheff U career round.

UTB

Doyle does a job and I think he's good at it. The problem is that there hasn't been anyone better to do that job and also because others around him haven't done their job, he's had to/ felt the need to try and fill in.

Doyle is best being the 'enforcer' in front of the centre halves, pick up loose balls and give the simple pass. Occasionally he has got forward when someone alongside him sits in, but the key to Doyle is discipline.
- discipline of himself : keeping his head but winding others up, be this with a little dig or an occasional late challenge, but not losing his head like v Fulham.
Discipline in his position: keeping the shape, leading the team and ensuring he sticks to his job. Caution is probably key.
Discipline of those around him: getting others to keep their positions, to keep their shape.

Against Rochdale I liked the look of Doyle and Jose, they seemed calm and knew what they were doing. I can't say the same for Basham. I'd like to see Wallace in alongside these two, perhaps with Scoogs as back up

Why are Doyle type players always going to receive stick?

Bob Booker received stick - sensibly asked someone in the know what to do - give 100% was the answer and the rest is history.

My issue with Doyle is this:

He was part of the problem that got us relegated.
He was part of the problem that didn't get us promoted - main reason being - ALWAYS looked for a square pass
, and for the ones that remember, a poor mans butch Wilkins.

NC has sorted Doyle out, which may point to previous managers and coaches not really have a clue how to coach anyone.

Totally happy with Doyles current contribution under NC -he seems much more disciplined, does what he has to do within his capabilities and such receive plaudits for turning his Sheff U career round.

UTB

I guess it's because 'on a bad day' they look very, very average and on a good day much of their work goes unnoticed (by a lot of fans)...where-as a 'flair player' will still do a few nice touches/flashy tricks etc whilst having a 'bad day'...mentioning Bob Booker, well I think a lot is down to personality/character also..which brings us nicely back to the 'cockney walk'.

Fans want entertaining and it's great to see a bit of personality rather than a 'programmed robot' running about the pitch!

UTB!

The middle 3 on Sat worked a treat, and is IMO, the best combination. Doyle does a great job for the team, Scougall is showing signs of returning to last season`s form, and Wallace is sheer quality at this level. Basham hasn`t got going yet, McGinn has showed more than him in his limited game time, but isn`t consistent enough, Reed is the best passer after Wallace, and the jury is out for me on Dimaio, he needs a loan spell, but I do not believe he will make it at the Lane, despite a fantastic debut last season v Rotherham.
How many times have you seen Dimaio play to pass this judgement ? Dimaio is being hard done to at the moment and when the chances come along for Dimaio to prove himself it just happens he's away on international duty

Nnjoyed the goin ahrt walk greatly , but prefer more the winning the tackles bit s and finding a blades shirt with a pass more

on a different tack se wednesdays got rid of land of fire10422921_10205118079099373_914216150727502010_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom