Regaining Championship Status

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

When do you think we will regain Championship Status ?

• End of this season

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • Next 2 - 5 seasons

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Between 5 - 10 seasons

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • 10 + seasons

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harry's Game

Reaction score
how long before we get out of League one? (In the right direction obviously)

It won't be this season I fear, The play offs is best we can hope for and we know what that means for us :(

I was top 2 before the season started, however we will be good enough for the play offs. I hope by the time it really matters Nigel will actually find a starting 11 he trusts. That's the major difference between this season and last.

I still fancy us this season. Every team with the exception of Bristol have been fallible this season, MK Dons are playing well but lost at home midweek, P'Boro are losing games Preston are inconsistent, Barnsley going nowhere with Danny, Chesterfield will fade. That said someones going to have to peg back Bristol because if they carry on at this rate they'll be out of sight by Xmas and the rest will be playing for one automatic place

Another 2 to 5 seasons based on the current ambition of the club.

Honestly thought we would have been out of this league by now, its still early doors this season but so far we don't seem to be at the same level as we were at the end of last season.
I really hope we get promotion this season but I do fear it might still be another few seasons before we get it right.

Never. UNLESS we have a change of club policy, we will never be promoted. We've finished lower every year for the last 5 years, and this looks like it could continue the trend. Unless something changes, we can't expect any progression.

Champions this season

There is nobody in the world who would be happier than me if you were correct.
However, the reality of it is that I've got more chance of doing Kelly Brooke than there is of us going up as champions this year !!
UTB & FTP

Up to us.
If we're there or there-abouts come Jan, we've seen that any of the top teams can get promoted.

Even t'pigs got stuffed a few times when they got promoted if memory serves me right...

However, the reality of it is that I've got more chance of doing Kelly Brooke than there is of us going up as champions this year !!
UTB & FTP

Well you say that after 8 games and were within touching distance of the top two. Another run of results will see us up there and I am confident that despite the heavy defeat yesterday, we have it within this squad and with some additions to deliver a decent run of results

UTB & FTP
And you have absolutely no chance with Ms Brook. I doubt you've even attempted to make any contact with her. ;)

This season, for sure, if we are top 6 round Xmas, I think an interesting January transfer window and finish either 1st or 2nd.

Well you say that after 8 games and were within touching distance of the top two. Another run of results will see us up there and I am confident that despite the heavy defeat yesterday, we have it within this squad and with some additions to deliver a decent run of results
Thats just it though isnt it ,even me with all my negativity towards this season believes we will make top 6

Its what comes after that that worries me
Just for once wanted us to go into the season with a side that matched the fans expectations and see us all stroll to an easy championship in a piss easy league

Lets be right we all expected big things after last season but the recruitment policy seems to be out of sync with all that and its going to be down to the old footballing gods again

Thats just it though isnt it ,even me with all my negativity towards this season believes we will make top 6

Its what comes after that that worries me
Just for once wanted us to go into the season with a side that matched the fans expectations and see us all stroll to an easy championship in a piss easy league

Lets be right we all expected big things after last season but the recruitment policy seems to be out of sync with all that and its going to be down to the old footballing gods again

I think it's extremely early still, I've watched just Bristol and Rochdale so can't comment too much on individuals other than what I've picked up from trusted sources, but I'd say that there are a lot of positives on the recruited players, as well as some negatives or question marks.

Even last season when Clough initially came in there were several players like Flynn, Doyle and Murphy that were questionable, yet they came good.

I didn't rate Alcock last week at right back, but I though Davies played well there v Bristol. With Basham I can't see what he gives us... Yet.

I get the impression that the centre of midfield is likely to be Doyle, Baxter and probably Wallace which gives great options on the bench like Scoogs. The thing I like about Baxter in the middle is that he can support the attack if Reed or perhaps Wallace is in or he can sit deeper with Scoogs or Basham supporting the striker. Baxter is key to the midfield this season with Doyle in front of the two centre halves.

Higdon obviously has a question mark, but last week I liked the look of McNulty, so I'd see him as the main striker for Higdon to dislodge. Inspite of his height. But this could also be a benefit as it prevents long ball, which if Higdon comes on changes things a lot.

So for me we have options all over the pitch to change the style of play and also formations.

That said, I don't think we can escape the fact that Harry hasn't been replaced, is Alcock better suited to centre half alongside Collins. Coady's ready made replacement, Wallace hasn't yet found his fitness. Our 20 goal striker has either not come in yet or he's not hit form yet and most importantly, we haven't yet got a 'Brayford type' to bomb up and down the wing joining attacks, provide pace at the back and can slot in anywhere.

We brought in so many new players that it was always going to take time to settle down. I said in August that it would be September before the back four is settled and mid to end sept before the side is settled. In reality we seemed to settle earlier as a side and this week losing Murphy, Baxter and JCR from last Saturday it's upset our balance a lot. We need to recover from this and the cup is a good escape from league football to clear some heads a bit.

No doubt, Clough needs to shake things up, but I think the talent is pretty much there, Clough just needs to get the right balance, which he hasn't got just now

we have lost 1 game in the last 6 that will do me the rest of the season :)

Need some analysis! What are the chances of automatic factored on points haul so far this season and what has happened with clubs on same points total at this stage? Too busy :)

I'd agree, but three defeats from 8 isn't really good enough results wise looking at the wider picture. The nature of the defeat yesterday was also poor. Yes we did well to get back to 3-2 but as Clough says, it's how we got to 3 down in the first place.

Far from a disaster, but clearly work to do

1 in 6 from here would mean we lose 10. Wolves lost 5 last year, Brentford 8, Rotherham 8, Preston 7.... So not sure you would!

I agree However, my big doubt is over the quality of any additions.

I think we're waiting for Evans. Other than that, I don't think the budget is there. I hope I'm wrong.

UTB

I agree However, my big doubt is over the quality of any additions.

I think we're waiting for Evans. Other than that, I don't think the budget is there. I hope I'm wrong.

UTB

I think the budget is there, but as we've seen, Clough has brought a lot in that needed time to gel and it's uncovered other gaps.

Right back for sure, centre forward and centre half possible...

I think the budget is there, but as we've seen, Clough has brought a lot in that needed time to gel and it's uncovered other gaps.

Right back for sure, centre forward and centre half possible...

I hope you're right fella.

The one key signing that I'm close to writing off is Basham. He's had the most game time and looks woeful to me. I think / hope Clough's patience has got to be running out with him.

Overall, the other signings look hopeful, but with no real umph. I can't see Higdon getting goals in the way Clough sets up teams, and that leaves a big hole. We just don't look to have enough goals in us.

UTB

The one key signing that I'm close to writing off is Basham. He's had the most game time and looks woeful to me. I think / hope Clough's patience has got to be running out with him.

Overall, the other signings look hopeful, but with no real umph. I can't see Higdon getting goals in the way Clough sets up teams, and that leaves a big hole. We just don't look to have enough goals in us.

UTB
I know what you mean with basham, I can't see what he brings. He's kind of lost in the middle there. But I'll reserve judgement

I'd say jcr is your impact player but he needs a quality midfield around him

UTB
I understand what you're saying regards Basham,but just for 1 game atleast i'd like to see Cloughy play him in the position he's played in for the rest of his career which ain't CAM.Cloughy isn't doing him justice,then and only then should we really judge him on what he can and can't bring imo.

Amazed how many people are referring to Bristol City as "Bristol", We all get pissed off when the media refers to Man U as "United"

Back
Top Bottom