Can't win em all...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Are we Real Madrid/Barcelona - No
Are we Dogshit FC - No

We can't win them all. We are not perfect but jeez the amount of over reaction every time we don't win 6-0...

Are we a big club - No, not really. Probably in the top 35 revenue wise but that's it
Are we a bigger club than the division we are in - Yes
Do we (or anyone else) have a divine right to be in the Premier League - No

We are where we are because of previous mismanagement. That's the past. It matters not one jot that Tony Currie was a good player, that Deane and Agana were a good partnership or that William Foulkes was a fat twat. What matters is what happens tomorrow, next week or next month. Unless someone on this forum is actually the Prince or McCabe belly aching has no effect.

I've never seen us in the Champions League, since 1978 when I first saw United, I've seen a few seasons in the top division and the odd exciting cup run. Apart from McCabe nobody has ever put money into the club so I'm continually at a loss as to why people think we should be annual contenders.

We are what we are...I go to the Lane because a) I love watching United and b) I meet up with my mates and have a beer. I do not post often on here because quite often there is no reasoned debate, you get slated as a clapper or otherwise. I'm neither - I'm a Blade. Not the biggest, not the best, not the worst...just a Blade who loves the club, is now bringing his only child into the thankless life that comes with following an average club, sometimes we need to get over ourselves and enjoy the fact you weren't brought up a pig.

Are we Dogshit FC - No

We can't win them all. We are not perfect but jeez the amount of over reaction every time we don't win 6-0...

Are we a big club - No, not really. Probably in the top 35 revenue wise but that's it

We are where we are because of previous mismanagement. That's the past. It matters not one jot that Tony Currie was a good player, that Deane and Agana were a good partnership or that William Foulkes was a fat twat. What matters is what happens tomorrow, next week or next month. Unless someone on this forum is actually the Prince or McCabe belly aching has no effect.

I've never seen us in the Champions League, since 1978 when I first saw United, I've seen a few seasons in the top division and the odd exciting cup run. Apart from McCabe nobody has ever put money into the club so I'm continually at a loss as to why people think we should be annual contenders.

We are what we are...I go to the Lane because a) I love watching United and b) I meet up with my mates and have a beer. I do not post often on here because quite often there is no reasoned debate, you get slated as a clapper or otherwise. I'm neither - I'm a Blade. Not the biggest, not the best, not the worst...just a Blade who loves the club, is now bringing his only child into the thankless life that comes with following an average club, sometimes we need to get over ourselves and enjoy the fact you weren't brought up a pig.

Are we Dogshit FC - No

Feller. I don't ask of us to be in the PL, the CL or much of the silverware-lifting fantasists want for day after day.

Given your 'top thirty five' assessment however and our club structure, I expect us to be a better team, with a more robust, renowned playing staff and the ability to be coming away from at least thirty of this season's games undicked.

We have already burned up much of the expectation statistically so far this season. I am not saying we should be top of the league undefeated and with a twenty-odd goal difference. A one-goal difference defeat against a tough opposition would have been acceptable today - but to be three down and again show that being behind has to be a catalyst to score goals - and then end up shipping five ... well, it's just not good enough.

pommpey

Feller. I don't ask of us to be in the PL, the CL or much of the silverware-lifting fantasists want for day after day.

Given your 'top thirty five' assessment however and our club structure, I expect us to be a better team, with a more robust, renowned playing staff and the ability to be coming away from at least thirty of this season's games undicked.

We have already burned up much of the expectation statistically so far this season. I am not saying we should be top of the league undefeated and with a twenty-odd goal difference. A one-goal difference defeat against a tough opposition would have been acceptable today - but to be three down and again show that being behind has to be a catalyst to score goals - and then end up shipping five ... well, it's just not good enough.

pommpey
We may well come away from this season with 30 games 'undicked'. Are we ahead of where we were this time last year? I'd say yes. Is there room for improvement? Undoubtedly

But how dare these smaller clubs with inferior teams even consider trying to beat the mighty Blades? A 5-2 defeat isn't good enough but its not the end of the world. During the halcyon days of Bassett and Warnock we suffered horrendous results during good seasons. Imagine the reaction on a forum like this after home defeats against Chesterfield (1988/89?) playing the type of football we used to play?

I'm not saying enjoy it,as keyboard warriors we have no influence. Just some perspective.

By the sounds of it Swindon were the best team we've played all season.

Could've been 5 by half time.

It was always going to be tough today and a draw would've been a good result. Didn't expect the capitulation though (maybe that's too strong as we were chasing an equaliser).

Are we playing with fear of losing as when we go a couple behind we seem to think we may aswell go for it. Wish we could come out of the blocks first for a change

good post gateford a fellow blade with some patience we could do with thirty thousand like us maybe then we might have
a chance of getting in the champions league.
recently a poster was remembering a game against birmingham 1964 jones and birch era we had a crowd of 16000
and that was a top diivsion game (1st div) we get better crowds now and playing in third tier we do have some great loyal fans
but have a tendancy to spit the dummy out too easily at times. I beleave clough will sort it out but a bit more patience may
be required ,these saudi joint owners whatever funds they may have agreed to put up will not want to be losers and will i think along with mr mccabe do what is needed to sort it, even if and i dont like saying it dismiss the management team.
We still have a great chance this season "come on you blades".

Having witnessed the match, the issue today for me is not primarily the fact we lost (because Swindon are good at this level and particularly at home), it was the manner of the defeat.

We were outclassed for the most part, save for a short spell where we managed to get hold of the ball, work it wide and put a cross in. It's such a shame that we conceded the fourth so soon after getting it back to 3-2. Knocked the stuffing out of us just when we all thought we could get a result.

It's not the end of the world, no. The performance today was completely unacceptable though, there aren't any excuses.

I'm also not angry about losing to Swindon or losing 5:2 to Swindon. They are a good team who will have days when they put goals passed other teams. I'm frustrated with the poor performances almost all season (it's noticeable the players wake up when playing a Premiership team) All teams get a tonking sometimes (ask Man U or Liverpool), but to be playing so badly with no signs of improvement is the main issue.

I know in terms of points we're not far off (it is a poor league) but we need to start dominating games and taking the game to other teams.

Are we Dogshit FC - No

excellent post, sounds like you are a similar age to me. I am also about to start taking my lad who is 5 now. I considered it fully but have decided that he shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

Probably what pisses me off most is the apologist sentiment like the OP exhibited here and the sheep agreeing with it as though nobody has a right to question it.

Giving your vocal support at the match and discussing the bones of it in here. What's wrong with that?

It's pretty clear to many that in our current state we are not going to rip this league a new one and there are some glaring deficiencies in this squad - not least the lack of goals in it - that should have come as no surprise to anyone.

Tired old phrases like keyboard warriors and questioning the quality of the debate on here (which is actually pretty good when you filter out the emotional sniping) is trite and hypocritical. No, we don't have a Devine right to anything but that's a misconception constantly trotted out about people recognising and articulating the shortcomings people see on the pitch.

Absolutely, we have a right to expect our team to compete and not capitulate on the pitch. The size of the club does matter as that indicates the relative resources available and over time rhat should make a difference. Not competing with clubs that get 3,000 or 7,000 crowds is an abject failure when it is a reoccurring theme. Who else believes this? - Nigel Clough, that's who. If you have listened to his post match comments you will realise that he sees the shortcomings to and is not happy about it. Whether he can change it is another matter.

Think on this when you question people's parience. We will have spent 4 years at this level by the end of this season and the signs from pre season and after 8 league games are that we are not equipped to sustain a challenge - especially without addressing the goal threat.

Personally I believe we are a couple of strikers short of a half decent team at this level. IF Wallace remains fit, IF Murphy pulls his finger out (shadow man this season - again) and if our defence can concentrate as we know they can (as demonstrated on occasions already this season) on a consistent basis. However, the signs are not there for me that any of this will happen.

Now, I don't know about you but the comments about Devine right may apply to one or two seasons BUT for a club this size to wallow in this shit stain of a division for 4-5 years is absolutely unacceptable.
This is not a reaction to one result. The signs are there for all to see. I would share some confidence if we were controlling games and dictating the play but getting a little unfortunate and getting undone by a fluke goal or a piece of individual brilliance but we are not. We could have been 5 down at half time yesterday given the number of clear cut chances Swindon created. That is not condusive to winning games 1-0 with a solid defence is it? We should have lost at ColU if they had been more professional (we hardly worked their keeper up to the 83rd minute) but we realised the shit we were in and all of a sudden started to play. You have to question why it took til 2-0 down before the penny dropped?
And, with an attitude like that, you have to question how on Earth are we going to stage a challenge to the automatic promotion places? It's not a random process - we might go on a run - we might win the next 6 in a row - we might be there or thereabouts after 40 games given the run of the green. It's not about chance or fortune. It's about guts, desire, application, team work, mental toughness, organisation, and not a small measure of quality and at the moment it does not look like we fulfil that brief.

As for the meeting mates and having a beer. Yes, I agree that is a big part of the match day experience. However, you can meet up with mates and have a beer at any time you like - If you don't care about the football, the performance or the result or just accept that your team is perpetually shite then why bother including the football in that experience? Just do something else passionless and boring instead if that's your thing.

Others of us care deeply despite expressing concern over the trend we see and the level of quality on display and the lack of a performance on the pitch.

If your thing is just blind faith that everything is rosy in the garden then why not go and take up an alternative religion? I suggest you choose one that still allows you to meet your mates and have a beer.

Good post Gateford but please note William Foulke, not Foulkes, was the fat twat you are referring to. Good shot-stopper, bit slow.

Agree with much of that Kenilworth - unfortunately not the bit about the team being only a couple of strikers short of being decent - we definitely need a quality striker but I'm afraid we are weak all over the pitch thanks to some bizarre signings.

More generally, it does amaze me how many seem willing to accept another season of mediocrity in Division 3. We are in the top 20 or so best supported clubs in the country and I can't think of a single team that has underperformed as much as we have over the last 40 years.

Our Board has no ambition - that's obvious - but it seems some of our fans don't either.

UTB

Probably what pises me off most is the apologist sentiment like the OP exhibited here and the sheep agreeing with it as though nobody has a right to question it.

Giving your vocal support at the match and discussing the bones of it in here. What's wrong with that?

It's pretty clear to many that in our current state we are not going to rip this league a new one and there are some glaring deficiencies in this squad - not least the lack of goals in it - that should have come as no surprise to anyone.

Tired old phrases like keyboard warriors and questioning the quality of the debate on here (which is actually pretty good when you filter out the emotional sniping) is trite and hypocritical. No, we don't have a Devine right to anything but that's a misconception constantly trotted out about people recognising and articulating the shortcomings people see on the pitch.

Absolutely, we have a right to expect our team to compete and not capitulate on the pitch. The size of the club does matter as that indicates the relative resources available and over time rhat should make a difference. Not competing with clubs that get 3,000 or 7,000 crowds is an abject failure when it is a reoccurring theme. Who else believes this? - Nigel Clough, that's who. If you have listened to his post match comments you will realise that he sees the shortcomings to and is not happy about it. Whether he can change it is another matter.

Think on this when you question people's parience. We will have spent 4 years at this level by the end of this season and the signs from pre season and after 8 league games are that we are not equipped to sustain a challenge - especially without addressing the goal threat.

Personally I believe we are a couple of strikers short of a half decent team at this level. IF Wallace remains fit, IF Murphy pulls his finger out (shadow man this season - again) and if our defence can concentrate as we know they can (as demonstrated on occasions already this season) on a consistent basis. However, the signs are not there for me that any of this will happen.

Now, I don't know about you but the comments about Devine right may apply to one or two seasons BUT for a club this size to wallow in this shit stain of a division for 4-5 years is absolutely unacceptable.
This is not a reaction to one result. The signs are there for all to see. I would share some confidence if we were controlling games and dictating the play but getting a little unfortunate and getting undone by a fluke goal or a piece of individual brilliance but we are not. We could have been 5 down at half time yesterday given the number of clear cut chances Swindon created. That is not condusive to winning games 1-0 with a solid defence is it? We should have lost at ColU if they had been more professional (we hardly worked their keeper up to the 83rd minute) but we realised the shit we were in and all of a sudden started to play. You have to question why it took til 2-0 down before the penny dropped?
And, with an attitude like that, you have to question how on Earth are we going to stage a challenge to the automatic promotion places? It's not a random process - we might go on a run - we might win the next 6 in a row - we might be there or thereabouts after 40 games given the run of the green. It's not about chance or fortune. It's about guts, desire, application, team work, mental toughness, organisation, and not a small measure of quality and at the moment it does not look like we fulfil that brief.

As for the meeting mates and having a beer. Yes, I agree that is a big part of the match day experience. However, you can meet up with mates and have a beer at any time you like - If you don't care about the football, the performance or the result or just accept that your team is perpetually shite then why bother including the football in that experience? Just do something else passionless and boring instead if that's your thing.

Others of us care deeply despite expressing concern over the trend we see and the level of quality on display and the lack of a performance on the pitch.

If your thing is just blind faith that everything is rosy in the garden then why not go and take up an alternative religion? I suggest you choose one that still allows you to meet your mates and have a beer.
Great post mate but most of the posters I assume youre directing It towards seem to have disappeared since 5pm yesterday

Great post mate but most of the posters I assume youre directing It towards seem to have disappeared since 5pm yesterday
Cheers J-man
I couldn't be arsed to debate it yesterday but it fucks me off that the same old shite is used to say we have no right to expect better performances. I'm not taking results I am talking performances. - and as everyone knows if you get the performance right - you start getting the results.

You suggesting they are not going to come back to see the fallout?
Pussies !

Probably tomorrow citing mass hysteria ,over reaction clamour to spend millions ,* inset number *games into season look at portsmouth , comical ali style propaganda

Kenilworth - boo hoo. The position we are in is unacceptable - so what you gunna do about it? Answer is nothing, unless you have the funds to buy the club and fund a climb through the leagues. Over reaction on here to every defeat is pointless. Move on to the next game and support the team. If it doesn't work out Clough will lose his job and we'll get another manager. People can question the club all they like, they can slam their fingers on the keyboard in outraged indignation at the temerity of the players to lose a game. There is nothing you can do about it. If it all upsets you too much dont bother with it

Probably what pisses me off most is the apologist sentiment like the OP exhibited here and the sheep agreeing with it as though nobody has a right to question it.

The gist of your post is spot on Ken, the performance was awful, something I said on here last night. Like yourself, I also think Clough is seething underneath but has chosen to adopt a more considered tone, at least in public. The Radio Sheffield interview only offered suggestions, no more, of what he might be alluding to. Clearly not a man who is happy, and I imagine that when doors are closed words will be exchanged that leave no one in any doubt about how he feels. The overriding thing I got from what he said was how certain bits of business should have been tied up far earlier, which points a finger elsewhere, but that's just a conclusion based on a brief interview, so not much help for anyone seeking a cast iron reason that might explain what has happened.

It should be noted that yesterday's result came off of the back of a 6 game unbeaten run, but before anyone mentions it, yes, the quality of performance hasn't been acceptable, so maybe yesterday will act as a turning point.....if it doesn't then something is seriously wrong. I watched the few minutes of the game and we appeared second best throughout. I felt for the supporters who made their way to Swindon, they deserve to be reimbursed for the serving of second best football that was there for all to see.

Amongst the many qualities you described that were missing, personal pride in performance should be something a player is expected to have. It looked as if many of those wearing the shirt yesterday weren't prepared for the battle, a quality that should be expected, as opposed to wondering if it will appear.

Gateford Blade, you miss the point of the forum. This is where all views are aired, from the hysterical, to the kneejerk, through to the considered and insightful. That's how it should be. To paraphrase your point, if what you read upsets you, then move on until you find something to satisfy your needs.
Personally I find that when we lose it's as if the same posters call one another and agree the same line of discontent, but it doesn't prevent me from reading the posts so that I can confirm that blaming isn't backed up by clear headed strategy. One of the better posts on here yesterday was from The Bohemian , look for the thread that begins with 'Why Clough hasn't spent.....'. That type of considered quality is lacking, instead it's replaced by chest thumping and finger pointing. I'll leave it to Clough to sort this out. You and I won't know what's said, or what's done to make any changes possible, but if there's not a reaction, a positive one, from those who steer this ship, then all SUFC will remain is a mouthpiece for rich men who see ownership of a football club as a vanity project.
It pains me to write that, but yesterday should become that line in the sand that we'll not allow to happen again. It's not the result I'm referring to, but the lack of performance, the lack of heart, the absence of guts and desire. Wake up you dozy fuckers, you're paid well enough to wear the colours of this club UTB

Last edited:
Kenilworth - boo hoo. The position we are in is unacceptable - so what you gunna do about it? Answer is nothing, unless you have the funds to buy the club and fund a climb through the leagues. Over reaction on here to every defeat is pointless. Move on to the next game and support the team. If it doesn't work out Clough will lose his job and we'll get another manager. People can question the club all they like, they can slam their fingers on the keyboard in outraged indignation at the temerity of the players to lose a game. There is nothing you can do about it. If it all upsets you too much dont bother with it
So you cant comment on the club you support unless you own it and dont worry about results if they get really bad the manager will get sacked

Are you ian duncan smith ?

There is always a right to question, and that is the function of message-boards, to question and debate.

I do agree with the sentiments of kens post, in the cold light of day the arguments put forward are reasonable in the most part.
What I do tend to argue against is the number of unreasonable reaction posts and sniping that goes on. Even after your post there were snipes at the "clapper brigade" that don't add any value to the discussion or points to the debate.

The polarisation of the support on here in to two defined groups from people who have differing views on the situation takes a lot away from the discussion as most of the time is spent with the individuals defending their position rather than debating the subject.

I think personally, if we could get away from focusing on the knocker/clapper allegiance of individuals then we would find that most people would generally agree on the vital points.

1) Quality of squad
2) Quality of play
3) In-game management
4) Board level decisions
5) Quality of support

Unfortunately, most of this gets lost in the constant bickering between individuals that just ends up getting personal.

Agree with much of that Kenilworth - unfortunately not the bit about the team being only a couple of strikers short of being decent - we definitely need a quality striker but I'm afraid we are weak all over the pitch thanks to some bizarre signings.

More generally, it does amaze me how many seem willing to accept another season of mediocrity in Division 3. We are in the top 20 or so best supported clubs in the country and I can't think of a single team that has underperformed as much as we have over the last 40 years.

Our Board has no ambition - that's obvious - but it seems some of our fans don't either.

UTB

It is an interesting debate and probably goes more than just pigeon holing fans into being clappers or the opposite whatever that is.

I think most fans surely accept that a 5th season at this level would be very, very poor to unacceptable. We sadly have no choice to accept it as much as there is criticism about fans lack of ambition. Not sure what we can do? Having a rant and moan on radio stations or forums is about our own vehicle for protest. People are getting panned for criticisms on here but if fans are not going to be critical now (one of worst sides in SUFC history - I said that at the start of last season but reality is this side is no better - just got a manager with some idea) then they will never be critical. I have no issues with fans analysing some of the deficiencies within the club that is currently the biggest under achieving club in the country and has been for a few years whatever anyone says about divine right - the fact is most general football fans outside SUFC would say we as Blades fans should expect better. I don't think that is stretching the truth at all.

We wont get new owners - we are stuck with McCabe and for all Clough's faults; he is about as good as we are going to get at this level.

We will keep going, having a beer, meet our mates/family and most of the time be let down.

That is our lot it seems as SUFC fans. Does not mean we cannot want for more and those who are analysing what is going wrong are perfectly within their rights.

To me a lot of the posts on this board the last day or so has been bigger than one defeat at Swindon and is a culmination of events over the last few weeks, months and year or so. I don't think it is about an overreaction really or even about one bad day at the office. The truth is we have been poor all season and look no closer to a promotion side. After all the noises and game changing investment talk I think it is natural and not surprising many fans are rightly not happy. We should expect more and get better than what we are seeing. Are we going to get it? History suggests it will continue to be a bumpy and frustrating ride.

I think DB has touched on my main issue with the club. I actually aren't bothered where we are or how good we are in the grand scheme of things. I'm still quite a young man, but I've already grown to accept whatever is thrown at us fans, and defeat usually only hurts me until about half an hour after the game, then I move on.

What I can't accept though are false promises from the club. There should have been no noise about this investment or anything 'game changing' until it was definitely going to be reflected on the field. The best ploy would have been coyness, and said:

'we are debt free, which secures the long term financial status of the club. However, we have a lot more to sort out off the field, which may not necessarily see millions extra invested in the playing staff at this time'

Then everyone would have been happy safe in the knowledge our club was financially sound. We would have had reasonable expectations and thought top 6 would have been excellent progress.

Instead, the 'think Liverpool' and 'game changing' strategy they began with inflated expectations thinking we would blow the division away and we'd be back in the PL in no time. Over time. We have continued to sell our best players and fail to replace them without spending any money of real note. So ofcourse this is where fan such as myself get pissed off. Jus takin us for fools and that's the part that is just plain wrong.

As I say, honesty is all I ask of the club. If we all know where we stand, there would be much less bickering between fans as at least everyone was equally informed. Now we are in a situation where some believe the board, some despise the board an some just don't know or care any more. It's bad PR (which started well) and serves no purpose in the long term. I dont demand a team which is competing to win the premier league, but falls promises are just adding salt to the wound.

Its the performances that get me upset, its horrible to hear from fans and pundits when they say we were shocking all game or for most of it.
You can't win all the games but I always want my team to go out there and show their character and passion for the club.

Agreed - a defeat is not the end of the world, but the manner of it, is quite worrying IMO.

Pigs lost 5-1 away to Stevenage the year they went up. I'm sure they got over it, we can too.

It's not the defeat so much that's worrying me, it's the five against for that's the second this year. Can anyone remember apart from those two games when was the last time the first team let in five goals ?

Let's see what happens against Orient. Warnock and Bassett teams always bounced back after a bad defeat. I think Cloughy's will be no different.

Just done a quick check,
League cup 96/97 Stockport county 5-2 .
FA cup 84/85 Watford 5-0,
League 76/77 Blackpool 5-1..........:(

Back
Top Bottom