West Ham fans anger at Radio Sheffield referring to us as United.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Are cockneys so thick that they can't see that we were formed in 1889 and they were formed 1895 by my reckoning that means we were formed before them so we were united long before them and I imagine we will be united long after too. Fucking cockney nobs. They don't acknowledge anything above the Watford gap!!!

I don't think of them as United. I think of them as shiteating shiteaters.

In my experience most West Ham supporters refer to the team as the Irons - because of the association with the Thames Ironworks (the club came out of Thames Ironworks FC) - much less did I hear (in 25 years working there) them called the hammers and seldom,if at all, just United. - indeed more described them as simply West Ham.

West Ham, as was pointed out above is a district of Newham but was a local council in its own right until it was merged in a reorganisation in the 60's. It still has its own MP and very much exists as a place you can live. Whether you would choose to is quite another matter (despite the Kilmarnock/West Ham supporting Mayor's claim it is a place people choose to live and work in) - most people get out as soon as they can.

It is, though the ground is in Upton Park area which is E13 and West Ham is E15. And the ground itself only half gets into the E13 postal area, with the other half of it (Priory Road side) actually in E6 and East Ham.

So, West Ham and Upton Park are both areas in East London, yet West Ham play at Upton Park in East Ham?

Upton was a hamlet in the original West Ham Council area - part of the Church Street parish. The ground itself is in the Upton part of what was the West Ham district council (Green Street is where the hamlet of Upton or Upton Park as it is now called stood - it was also the dividing line between East and West Ham district councils). None of the electoral boundaries now make any reference to Upton - it has been absorbed into the Green Street and Plaistow wards.

Thames Ironworks FC (previously Old Castle Swifts FC) started out at Browning Road, East Ham before moving to the Memorial Grounds, a stadium which was situated close to where West Ham Underground station now stands. West Ham played there until 1904 when they moved to the Boleyn ground.

Regardless of who was called it first, the ones I would call United are those who can't be distinguished by their first names, ie. Sheffield, Manchester and Dundee. I've never heard a fan of West Ham, Newcastle or Oxford refer to their team as solely United.

I only ever refer to us as United when I'm in conversation with other Blades and I always assumed other Uniteds and their fans followed similar rules. Mind you, even amongst Blades it depends whereabouts in Sheffield you are from; to some it's "Yernited" whilst to others it will always be "Yoonited". I'm in the "Yernited" camp, coming from Ecclesall.

On Tuesday I was rather surprised to hear the Spammers singing a song that was all, "Laaaahhhve it, lahhhve it, jellied eels, old Joanna, knees ap muvva brahhnn," and ended with then all chanting, "United! United!"

Can I politely suggest that the Spammers just do one? I would think that it is fairly normal for a local radio presenter commentating on their team to refer to them as united. I would not be offended if I tuned into radio Manchester, Leeds, Boston etc and heard a commentator talking about United. I do get annoyed when national media presenters do it, without specifying whether it is the original United or one of the many copycats.

So in short any West Ham United (1895) who happen to read this, can I suggest you retune to Radio Cockernee (or talk sport!) Where your sensitivities may not be offended.

Can I politely suggest that the Spammers just do one? I would think that it is fairly normal for a local radio presenter commentating on their team to refer to them as united. I would not be offended if I tuned into radio Manchester, Leeds, Boston etc and heard a commentator talking about United. I do get annoyed when national media presenters do it, without specifying whether it is the original United or one of the many copycats.

So in short any West Ham United (1895) who happen to read this, can I suggest you retune to Radio Cockernee (or talk sport!) Where your sensitivities may not be offended.
On the rare occasion I have had to listen to an away commentary when we are playing another United, it is very confusing when the commentator says 'United' as I always assume they are talking about us. But then, I am very easily confused, it's an age thing.

What I forgot to say in my last post was, given their (spammers) continual references to us as Sheffield which is confusing as we don't know whether they are talking about us, Sheffield FC or our reserves; they have not really got a leg to stand on.

West Ham fans can lick my sweaty, hairy balls and if they wish to do it in a united effort they are welcome to do so.

Eeh gor blimey knock it the 'ead san, geeza geeza, apples and pairs me awld cock sparrer. Biggsy? Biggsy? One of yer awn, lavly bloke. Ronnie and Reggie, never 'armed a fly, lavly boys, 'elped awld laydies across the street....etc etc.

West Ham fans, scruffy inbred fuckers and as thick as shit. Not really worth getting upset about :tumbleweed::fattwat::tumbleweed::fattwat::tumbleweed:

Back
Top Bottom