Beyond a doubt

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Like Clough said in his RS interview, a couple more additions will top the team off and i agree.

People need to remember that seasons aren't won in the first few games.

Its good to have a manager who does react to situations some of them we dont like but he will do it his way and if you dont like it tough.

"We're still not close to where we want to be. We need a couple more players in and for the new players to get to know their roles better."

The man speaks honest sense.

I'll worry when he says "I think we played some super stuff" after a grim goalless draw with Gillingham.

There's lots to like at the minute - We're playing with great spirit (Collins/Alcock bust-up aside), we'r edging tight games which do the players a world of good and we're starting to see the team taking shape with Clough starting to find his best team.

I still worry though that the team hasn't got the capacity to blow teams away, few players that will have the opposition truly worried. Scraping 1-0s will do well as a solid base but we'll need to start taking some teams apart if we want to be among the automatic candidates.

I do not think a Clough team is capable of stuffing teams on a regular basis. His philosophy is a comfortable 2 nil win, with the emphasis on not conceding. If we had gone 2 up v Crawly there would not have been 9 minutes of stupid stuff in the corner - and we SHOULD have been at least 2 up.

This team is WIP, we all have to hope that we grow into the season - just like Rotherham did last season. Hopefully grow enough to finish top 2 (tall order, but achievable)

UTB

I do not think a Clough team is capable of stuffing teams on a regular basis. His philosophy is a comfortable 2 nil win, with the emphasis on not conceding. If we had gone 2 up v Crawly there would not have been 9 minutes of stupid stuff in the corner - and we SHOULD have been at least 2 up.

That seems to be the way of it and I'm not by any means suggesting we should be hammering everyone out of sight but I guess most automatically promoted sides dole out 3-4 goal beatings every so often if only to boost the goal difference and increase confidence. I also think there might be a few tight games that we let slip by because we don't have quite enough quality in the side.

We could be worse than. The current England squad has a grand total of 5 (Five!) goals scored by its midfielders in past internationals. Five!

Yeah he knows what he is doing but we are undoubtedly still a work in progress. There's a lot more to come.

I'd agree. It's not going to be pretty this side of Christmas but, if we can keep in touch, I can see us emulating the late-season form of last season.

After another valiant and giant killing effort, can we finally all admit that Nigel and the staff know what they are doing.?

For those that panicked before we had a chance to bed in. For those that were saying our team is crap, or Nigels new additions were crap, can we finally admit that, beyond any doubt, Nigel knows what he is doing?

It should have been obvious after last year, but not to some.

I hope that we have heard the last of the doubters and the the "booers" and we can get back to being 100% behind the team. Let's show the League that we are the best supporters in the game.

Our form up until now has been at best indifferent - yes there is a case for bedding in the players and players do need to get used to one another.

A number of worries has been the lack of application of certain "good" players - who knows what the reasons were, but supporters being supporters only want was is best and unfortunately some express it in slightly alarmist fashion.

Have no doubt, the greater majority are 100% behind the Blades and the ones that don't appear to be have had their hopes built up by such people as the media who make us out to be stupidly odds on favourite to go up.

UTB

"After another valiant and giant killing effort, can we finally all admit that Nigel and the staff know what they are doing.?

For those that panicked before we had a chance to bed in. For those that were saying our team is crap, or Nigels new additions were crap, can we finally admit that, beyond any doubt, Nigel knows what he is doing?"

If Clough would have picked the right team in the first two league games, instead of fannying about playing players out of position and no captains/leaders in key postions (i.e. started with Collins, Doyle and Baxter as most fans wanted/expected - coincidence that results have picked up since their inclusion???) - then in all likelihood we'd be looking at an extra 4 points and less doubting of the manager.

So in conclusion then first two paragraphs stating that you knew all along that clough is the messiah and people who didnt were idiots

Last paragraph stating how we would have got four more points if he had not made so many mistakes

Bit harsh Judgey.

Just a poor usage of the quote facility. The first two are a quote from the first post of this thread and the last is the response. Makes sense if you read it that way.
(and worthy of a like for me)
ok sorry just read it as a bit bipolar

"After another valiant and giant killing effort, can we finally all admit that Nigel and the staff know what they are doing.?

For those that panicked before we had a chance to bed in. For those that were saying our team is crap, or Nigels new additions were crap, can we finally admit that, beyond any doubt, Nigel knows what he is doing?"

If Clough would have picked the right team in the first two league games, instead of fannying about playing players out of position and no captains/leaders in key postions (i.e. started with Collins, Doyle and Baxter as most fans wanted/expected - coincidence that results have picked up since their inclusion???) - then in all likelihood we'd be looking at an extra 4 points and less doubting of the manager.
Apologies to how i read it too.Its just turned into a very good post:D

P.S. thanks for correcting it Grecian2000

We drew with west ham reserves through the aid of an own goal. I'm not planning the promotion party just yet.

With 181 international caps and a total value of £57m spent on them over their career. Second string or not, it's better than we can dream of being right now.

I didn't realise own goals didn't count either!

I'm not planning a promotion party myself but that was just ridiculously negative, even by your standard.

With 181 international caps and a total value of £57m spent on them over their career. Second string or not, it's better than we can dream of being right now.

I didn't realise own goals didn't count either!

I'm not planning a promotion party myself but that was just ridiculously negative, even by your standard.

Thnk I'm becoming a self-parody on here to be honest. I ofcourse delighted, but I do stand by that results (particularly in the earlier rounds) of the league cup give no real reflection to how the team is performing or will perform in the league. There were plenty of bizarre results as is often the case, didn't west ham get beaten 6-0 or something at Forest last season? WHEN we are up in the top 2, I shall happily eat a huge old slice of humble pie.

Thnk I'm becoming a self-parody on here to be honest. I ofcourse delighted, but I do stand by that results (particularly in the earlier rounds) of the league cup give no real reflection to how the team is performing or will perform in the league. There were plenty of bizarre results as is often the case, didn't west ham get beaten 6-0 or something at Forest last season? WHEN we are up in the top 2, I shall happily eat a huge old slice of humble pie.

I do agree that it's no reflection on performances - we have a long way to go. But any result like that is only going to help boost morale, confidence and help us towards our goal. I'm confident that we will get top 2 this season because I believe we're going to get stronger as the season goes on. When we click, we are going to be as good as any side in this division.

Back
Top Bottom