Fenerbahce game

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

My mate's brother was one of the ball boys running, he didn't get hit but another ball boy did (on the foot) was fine just a bit shook up apparently.

Was mcnulty number 12? Did a great defensive header when he should have scored early on. Also looked a bit tubby. Not knocking him, just first impressions. He was right mid though while our two right mid played right and left back in the first half. Presumably Sir NC is just giving everyone game time and perhaps checking adaptability but I'd have liked to have seen as good a team as he could field for this.

I left early (hangs head in shame) so missed the last fifteen or so.

Will the youngsters play 20 games each? I liked Connor D'man very much v the Millers and am more excited about him than mini Reed to be honest. (Although he looks good, I need my gnomes to have some edge like mini Quinny before I get excited)

Did Diego have a cap on?

Mcnulty is a striker,not a right sided midfield player,so to judge him on that performance tonight isn't right imo.
My concern is what everyone else has been saying, his (first) touch looks suspect. He doesn't appear to be blessed with pace. And I'm pretty sure he was the one who headed over from 4 yards early on.

It's the first game I've seen pre-season and it will be different once we have competitive games but he didn't look too effective anywhere on the pitch. But he's new to English football and young so he may well bed in. I hope he does

Agreed, but towards the end when he went up front there was a chance where a better touch would have seen him through on goal - it was poor and the defender knocked it behind. May have been the incident that led to the corner for the goal in fact. Certainly worth being patient with the guy though.
That touch was tiredness,thats all it was.He will be all right as long as he gets played right.

As for tonight,i think we must have quite a few niggles to have played that starting xi tonight,in what was supposed to be our main friendly,but all things considered,not too bad performance wise,we put in a tremendous amount of effort, and we needed too at times as they played some very good stuff.Someone mentioned they could have gone up a few gears and i totally agree.A team like that will stand us in good stead for the future though and did our fitness no harm.

That touch was tiredness,thats all it was.He will be all right as long as he gets played right.

As for tonight,i think we must have quite a few niggles to have played that starting xi tonight,in what was supposed to be our main friendly,but all things considered,not too bad performance wise,we put in a tremendous amount of effort, and we needed too at times as they played some very good stuff.Someone mentioned they could have gone up a few gears and i totally agree.A team like that will stand us in good stead for the future though and did our fitness no harm.

A lot will be influenced by a need to get people as much game time as possible before Bristol City - I'm confident you won't see McNulty, Flynn and Davies in the positions they started unless there's a real emergency, simply important to get them game time at this stage.

Many thanks to the Fenerbahce fans. Apart from the tosser who threw the flare onto the pitch I thought they created the entire atmosphere and are without a doubt the best set of fans I've ever seen live in Bramall Lane. Huge credit to 'em.

Many thanks to the Fenerbahce fans. Apart from the tosser who threw the flare onto the pitch I thought they created the entire atmosphere and are without a doubt the best set of fans I've ever seen live in Bramall Lane. Huge credit to 'em.
It weren't just one of them and ive seen miles better fans at bramall lane before.

Agreed, but towards the end when he went up front there was a chance where a better touch would have seen him through on goal - it was poor and the defender knocked it behind. May have been the incident that led to the corner for the goal in fact. Certainly worth being patient with the guy though.
That was Basham if I'm thinking of the same one, McNulty gave the ball to him. I like the look of him.

That was Basham if I'm thinking of the same one, McNulty gave the ball to him. I like the look of him.

Possibly. Hard to tell on the live feed, though the camera went straight to McNulty afterwards so assumed it was him.

It weren't just one of them and ive seen miles better fans at bramall lane before.
Did an entire group grab the one flare and threw it on the pitch together? I'd be very surprised if you've ever seen a set of fans more enthusiastic and noisy for as long as the Fenerbahce lot went on for. For me if they weren't there then the game wouldn't have been as exciting.

Possibly. Hard to tell on the live feed, though the camera went straight to McNulty afterwards so assumed it was him.
Fairly confident, I think McNulty looked decent v Dundee and while he doesn't have any obvious attributes I reckon who could be decent. Had a couple of close efforts today.

Did an entire group grab the one flare and threw it on the pitch together? I'd be very surprised if you've ever seen a set of fans more enthusiastic and noisy for as long as the Fenerbahce lot went on for. For me if they weren't there then the game wouldn't have been as exciting.
There was more than one thing come down true99blade to answer your first question and Man City are one of many sets of supporters in the Kinkladze era to fill and sing all the way through on our unbelievable away end,and on that day, they didn't try setting fire to fuck all,thats to answer your second question.

As for the game not being as exciting if they weren't there ,thats bullshit,i try to watch the match,not look at wankers doing the shit they were doing,and if we would have done anything like that, there would have been severe consequences.

Well pleased with last nights efforts, more understanding between the centre halves compared to Tuesday, Reed invovled in a lot of play making himself available and linking up. All the subs making good contributions, only slight negative would be Mcginn, hopefully he will improve his first touch and distribution. Another bonus is any league scouts/ spies are not going to learn anything from that starting line up.
UTB

I'm guessing most were British based Turks but regardless, 1200ish fans for a pre season friendly half way across Europe on a school night against lower league oppo and they made a racket and went mental for 90 minutes. Kudos.

Their players were great too, stars took the time with the kids, no silly antics on the pitch.

I'm saving up for the return leg. I like Fenerbahce - proper club and my new second team.

Sky Sports News this morning "Substitute Chris Porter equalised with his first touch of the game". Not sure about the substitute bit but it was his second touch!

Example 2: Doyle misplaces a pass, to groans around me, reed attemps a dross-field ball which falls short to a warm ripple of applause. (Though he played well tonight as a side note)

Example 3: de girolamo picks the ball up after a throw in, runs the ball out of play, everyone applauds and the guy infront says to his mate 'he looks class that lad'. Couldn't believe what id heard!

Reeds cross-field ball (the one attempted to JCR?) was a good attempt at a bit difficult forward pass to a player in space. De Girolamo clearly has great feet and excellent technique, he should be encouraged to take on defenders, but we shouldn't expect him to skip past them every time. When youngsters show bravery to attempt difficult things (rather than just 'keeping it simple'/passing backwards) they should definitely be applauded by the crowd. It will help them maintain the confidence to try it, and hopefully get it right, next time.

we play Bristol CITY a week on Saturday not Bristol, show them some respect, we don't like it when it happens to us.
Did you see my take on this a few weeks back? They're the only football league team from Bristol this season, I think some people are seizing the rare opportunity to just call them 'Bristol'.

If Wednesday dropped down to the conference I'd be highly amused anytime we were called 'Sheffield', rather than annoyed (though definitely very annoyed when it happens now!).

Not sure what to take from tonight other than a good example of how peoples preconceptions of players are not affected by their performance. Not necessarily on here, I haven't had chance to read much yet, but certainly in the terraces.

Example 1: porter rounds the keeper, pulls a cross back and is cleared to which a guy behind me shouts 'fucks sake porter, just put it in'. For those of you who weren't there, he must have been 6inches from the byline.

To be fair I agree no one should expect anyone to put the ball in from there but cloughy went mad at him for not taking a touch, sometimes I just think if porter did the simple things better he would be a much better player.

I thought Fenerbahce were a class act, obviously they could have stepped it up a few gears, their number 10 looked a very good player. Not so sure why in some eyes 20 idiots throwing flares makes their fans the best ever, I'd wager they didn't even watch most of the game as they were too busy surrounding the bloke bashing the drum all through the match. A great turn out from the rest even if a lot were British based. I thought we were very slow and ponderous to start with but steadily improved as the game went on, we can't draw many conclusions as players were out of position it is all about getting game time. JCR still has a lot of tricks but will need a very good full back behind him he is much better going forward than tracking back. A special mention for Howard who I have criticised a lot in the past he had a superb game, if he keeps up those standards he will do fine in the coming season.

Yes it was Mcnulty who headed over from 4 yards out, a good clearance actually as I "wittily" commented to my hapless neighbour. His first touch was poor on occasions and he does look a bit "stocky".

Howard just seems to make the saves, with anything available, (lol). His reactions are quick, cant believe young George kept him out of the team for so long, he'll be worth a few points to us this season (Simmondson SCREAM).

Seems odd without Harry running at defences but Collins looked the part when he came on, organising and leading.

Scougs was taken off injured on Tuesday night hence his absence,

At the minute I can't work out who is who on the pitch, so many newbies as my 10 year old Grandson remarked "I don't know any of these players Grandad", apart from last seasons players and Alcock who was noticeable as a class act.

Top marks to Howard on the Tuesday and Thursday performances

A lot will be influenced by a need to get people as much game time as possible before Bristol City - I'm confident you won't see McNulty, Flynn and Davies in the positions they started unless there's a real emergency, simply important to get them game time at this stage.

I think possibly the Huddersfield and York friendlies were arranged, and then the Fenerbache fixture was arranged at a date not really chosen by the management. The York match will probably be the main one for Clough in terms of selecting a team that is likely to start vs Bristol City. I reckon yesterday's team was picked to not interfere too much with that.

I think possibly the Huddersfield and York friendlies were arranged, and then the Fenerbache fixture was arranged at a date not really chosen by the management. The York match will probably be the main one for Clough in terms of selecting a team that is likely to start vs Bristol City. I reckon yesterday's team was picked to not interfere too much with that.

Makes a lot of sense that, with the U21s game against Harrogate on Tuesday being the final chance for some of the fringe players to press their case.

I'd expect the line up for York (and Bristol C) to be:
Howard
Alcock Collins Butler Harris
Flynn Basham Doyle Scougall Murphy
Baxter
Subs (to come on): JCR, McGahey, Wallace, McNulty, Porter​

and against Harrogate:
Willis
Davies McGahey Banton Paling
Khan Wallace Reed Dimaio Hamilton
Di Girolamo​

I agree with you that the Fenerbahçe game wasn't picked by Clough and his team but the players will take a huge amount out of it. Yes, they gave us the run-around - particularly in the first half - but we stuck with it and took our chances. It's not every day that we'll beat a Champions League side.

"That boy Chris Porter, should have gone to Brazil"[/CENTER]

I'm heading to kebabish at lunchtime with 19 friends. Gonna set flares off inside see how they like it ;)

Reeds cross-field ball (the one attempted to JCR?) was a good attempt at a bit difficult forward pass to a player in space. De Girolamo clearly has great feet and excellent technique, he should be encouraged to take on defenders, but we shouldn't expect him to skip past them every time. When youngsters show bravery to attempt difficult things (rather than just 'keeping it simple'/passing backwards) they should definitely be applauded by the crowd. It will help them maintain the confidence to try it, and hopefully get it right, next time.

But my point is about inconsistencies. Why is it just the young players that should be applauded for attempting difficult things. I guarantee, had porter picked the ball up, and run the ball straight out of play, an almighty groan would have gone up from the kop calling him every name under the sun. It's just when fans have made their minds up, there's no changing it. On the other hand, had Diego rounded the keeper -"and put that cross in, that would be 'evidence' he's clearly a class act and should be playing blah blah blah....

Now I'm not making a point about individual performances, but some fans do frustrate me that certain players can do no wrong, and others seemingly can't so anything right.

Are you sure that was McNulty? I thought it was Basham?

But my point is about inconsistencies. Why is it just the young players that should be applauded for attempting difficult things. I guarantee, had porter picked the ball up, and run the ball straight out of play, an almighty groan would have gone up from the kop calling him every name under the sun. It's just when fans have made their minds up, there's no changing it. On the other hand, had Diego rounded the keeper -"and put that cross in, that would be 'evidence' he's clearly a class act and should be playing blah blah blah....

I hear what you are saying and I agree with you.

This is exactly what I was referring to in your Maguire thread when I said votes were skewed. People love our young, home-grown prospects.

You didn't agree that votes were skewed on that one though.

I'm heading to kebabish at lunchtime with 19 friends. Gonna set flares off inside see how they like it ;)

Very infantile, no imagination and poorly thought out!

I'm off out tonight to a Turkish restaurant. I'm going to eat and enjoy and then after all the lovely smells from that food, I'm going to open my big bag and release a dozen Ferrets, whilst shouting, 'Happy Yorkshire Day...flares my arse!'

Back
Top Bottom