[19/07/2014] Burton Albion 4 – 0 Sheffield United (Pre-Season Friendly)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Foxy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Sheffield United first team kicked off their pre-season with a defeat nearly as heavy as the rainfall, seeing Burton Albion comfortably retain the Bass Charity Vase. Speaking before the game of giving everyone some time on the pitch, it was expected that Nigel Clough would either be playing a different XI for 45 minutes […]

Read the whole post here.

Sounds like a lot of work to
be done in the next two or three weeks.
Cheers Foxy

If ever further evidence was required that we need a striker, today was the day! If we fail to bring in another striker, that's Clough's first genuine error as our boss.

If ever further evidence was required that we need a striker, today was the day! If we fail to bring in another striker, that's Clough's first genuine error as our boss.
His first genuine error was re-signing Chris Porter and ive put that as politely as i could.

If you lose 4-0 it is not often you might blame the lack of a striker.

I wouldn't read to much into pre season friendlies. More about fitness than results, one thing did catch my eye in the report tho.... A BAXTER SPRINT!!!!

Our formation first half was:

Howard
Davies Collins Butler Paling
JCR Dimaio Doyle Reed Murphy
Porter

Same formation as most of the second half of last season, Doyle anchoring the midfield. Dimaio and Reed trying to push forward. I think we were a bit surprised at how aggressive and motivated Burton were. We looked to be taking it easy and probably regretted we hadn't picked an easier game! Only once or twice did we get any sort of attacking moves going, so probably a bit harsh to dismiss any individual player.

Before half time we had changed to 4-4-2 with Murphy moving forward and Reed going to left midfield.

In the second half the formation was 4-4-2, like this:

Long
Alcock Maguire McGahey Harris
Crawford Basham McGinn Scougall
De Girolamo Baxter

A few interesting/surprising things:

• Scougall in a wide left role (couldn't get involved a lot)
  • Basham doing box to box with McGinn holding back more
  • Crawford looking neat and tidy, but isn't a wideman so how is he going to impress playing on the right? He's probably another who'd prefer Doyle's role.
  • De Girolamo looking very promising, time to treat him as a real member of the first team

Many, me included, have thought Basham is Doyle's replacement, but as mentioned he was the most attacking of the two central midfielders in the second half. I'm not sure he's got enough about him in terms of composure and creativity to do that role, although he's got the fitness.

McGinn was average, although we had a better shape after the break. Him and Basham won't be good enough as a midfield partnership imho. I think it's good to try new things in pre season though.

Back
Top Bottom