An interesting summer awaits - the squad next season

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Balham Blade

S24SU Seer
Reaction score
Replying to SwissBlade 's post in another thread got me thinking about next season now it's been confirmed that we'll be in Division Three again. That turned into this monster thread - bear with it, please; I'd love to get others' opinions.

Mainly my thoughts are on the squad... bold indicates players who have played for the first team this season; italics mean that a player is out of contract in June.

Goalkeepers:
Howard: a club record number of consecutive clean sheets was a huge plus but question marks have started to rise following some average performances. Probably deserves a one year extension.

Long: Clough's been quoted as saying that one of Howard and Long will be #1 next season with the other out on loan. Wonder where our England U21 keeper will end up?

Willis: potential breakthrough year for George Jr. He'll be on the bench week by week.

Eastwood, Owen: two more talented U18 keepers waiting in the wings.

Defence:
Harris: Whispering Bob has been solid since joining at the end of January on an initial 6 month deal. I'd be utterly amazed if we don't take up the option to extend that by a year.

Maguire: our prize asset. It's easy to be critical given that Maguire is still prone to the odd error but his talent is unarguable. Could be a club legend but his head will be turned in the summer. Up to Clough to decide whether to cash in should the £5m+ bids arrive.

Collins: goes into the final year of his deal and, in all likelihood, his last season as a Blade. He's been a good servant but with Maguire beginning to show leadership qualities and looking more like the senior partner I'd not be surprised if our longest serving player loses his spot.

Kennedy: waited patiently through a horrific spell of injuries to get his chance. The only question mark over an extended deal for him is whether his knees can stand up to the rigours of professional football. It'd be a huge shame if the answer was no.

Banton, Evans: two more academy centre halves. Fairly sure Banton has signed a pro deal, less sure about Evans.

Midfield
Doyle:
possibly the player whose transformation under Clough I've been most surprised by. As with Collins, into the final year of his deal but he's thriving in his new role of seek and destroy.

Scougall: the raw potential of our latest Scot is there for all to see. He's a proper footballer and one to build the team around

McGinn: came with a great reputation but has let games pass by without stamping his authority on them. There are glimpses of class in there but he will have to accept a rotation role next year.

Flynn: another who's benefited immensely from working with Clough. Out of contract in the summer but almost certain to stay on, he's perhaps not as immediately impressive as Murphy but his discipline allows the right back to overlap to great effect.

Cuvelier: didn't really fit into Weir's 4-2-3-1 formation as he lacked the strength to play as one of the two holding midfielders and the technique and pace to play as one of the three attacking midfielders. Very unlikely to play again this year, he's got a long road ahead of him to get back to full fitness and into Clough's thoughts but he's got the ability to do so.

Dimaio: has leapfrogged to the front of the queue as go-to back up. I wouldn't be surprised if he played 30+ games next season and softened the blow of Coady leaving.

Reed: our youngest post war player, will have more of an impact later on next season but will probably play in the JPT games.

Whiteman: academy central midfielder who signed his first pro deal back in December.

Attacking Midfield
Murphy
: the little boy lost under Wilson and Weir has become one of the division's best wingers. He'll be pivotal to our chances next season.

Khan: confident with the ability to back it up; next season could be a big year for the fantastically-monikered winger.

Calvert-Lewin: has that all important ability to find the back of the net. It's a shame his season's over but will be pushing for a squad place at least next season

Di Girolamo: the most hyped player to come our of the Blades academy. Pre-season is make or break for him.
Coustrain: another academy player who will be looking to push on next season; Coustrain is a tricky winger.

Forwards
Baxter
: played out of position as a lone front man for most of his time under Clough but there's evidence of a real footballing brain there. Personally, I think he'd be better suited to playing off an out-and-out forward but his 19 goals for a struggling Oldham team last term suggests that he's got the talent to be a big success at the Lane.
Eyre: think he's signed professional terms, he will be looking to impress in pre-season.

Departures:
Hill:
the very definition of model pro, Hill's always done a job. However, with the number of young players coming through in his preferred position I don't know whether he will be kept on.

Hodder: given a pro deal last year but hasn't made the squad this season. Feels like a release is impending; might surprise if given a chance by a League Two team.

Whitehouse: once highly rated - perhaps highest after Maguire of the 2010 FA Youth Cup squad - but injuries and a lack of opportunities have slowed him down. Now probably 6th or 7th choice central midfielder at the club it wouldn't surprise me to see him leave with a decent sell on clause the only fee.

McFadzean: a string of loans punctuated with relatively ineffective performances in a red and white shirt would indicate that his time at the Lane will come to an end this summer. Likely to have a string of League Two clubs after his signature.

Porter: realises that he's not the world's best forward but would be better suited to a lesser club where he'd be picked week in, week out. His contract is up at the end of the season and while he's scored some vital goals for us, he's just not good enough.

Miller: one goal this season but it was a vital one - the 119th minute winner at Fulham. Currently on loan at Shrewsbury where he's scored a couple of goals; question marks remain over his ability to fully recover from his knee injury. Contract up in June and is likely to leave.

Taylor: has some of the attributes required to be a phenomenon but the whole is considerably less than the sum of the parts. The biggest issue with Taylor is his speed of thought - he just doesn't appear to think quickly enough at this level. Wouldn't surprise me if we cut our losses and he moved back to Scotland.

Ironside: has yet to find his level and that's after spells at United, Halifax and Harrogate Town. Will probably be released. Scored twice in 10 Halifax games and has yet to register for Harrogate.

Smith: also on loan at Harrogate, he's not really pushed on enough to suggest that he's worthy of a contract extension.

Arrivals:
It's pretty obvious to all concerned where the issues are with our current squad. Going into next season, we've only got two contracted forwards, one of whom is likely to depart and the other better playing as a #10. I've posted a list of possible targets elsewhere but it's compiled exclusively of young forwards playing for lesser teams which is what we should be looking for; with probably 3 needed.

The chance of us re-signing Brayford have to be put somewhere around the 'slim' mark. He's a very, very good player, probably too good for League One and if Derby go up I can see them returning for him. The trump card, however, is the Clough factor - how much is that worth per week to the Beard?

If Brayford doesn't sign, I've seen enough in Freeman's performances to suggest that he should be pursued. He's filled in on the left admirably, putting in a great performance at Crawley. At 21 he's got time on his side to develop into a class full back.

The only other position I'd like to see us look at is the leader role in the middle of the park. Following Brentford's promotion, Tiomane Diagouraga is likely to become available and he fits the bill perfectly - 6'4", a strong tackler and disciplined, he could be the long term replacement for Doyle.

Others:
Coady
is in last chance saloon at Liverpool and if he doesn't break into their 25 man Premiership squad next season will probably look to prove himself on loan at a lower top division or upper second division side rather than back in League One. He's been a great loan signing (how long since we could say that?!) but I can't see him being here next season.

There's been talk of Davies turning his loan spell into a permanent deal but I'm not sure about that. His professionalism should be applauded but he's not good enough as a wide midfielder for me. The only way I'd consider taking him is if he was content to be a back up but I can't see that happening. That said, Clough obviously rates him so it's more than likely that he'll join.

Replying to SwissBlade 's post in another thread got me thinking about next season now it's been confirmed that we'll be in Division Three again. That turned into this monster thread - bear with it, please; I'd love to get others' opinions.

Mainly my thoughts are on the squad... bold indicates players who have played for the first team this season; italics mean that a player is out of contract in June.

Goalkeepers:
Howard: a club record number of consecutive clean sheets was a huge plus but question marks have started to rise following some average performances. Probably deserves a one year extension.

Long: Clough's been quoted as saying that one of Howard and Long will be #1 next season with the other out on loan. Wonder where our England U21 keeper will end up?

Willis: potential breakthrough year for George Jr. He'll be on the bench week by week.

Eastwood, Owen: two more talented U18 keepers waiting in the wings.

Defence:
Harris: Whispering Bob has been solid since joining at the end of January on an initial 6 month deal. I'd be utterly amazed if we don't take up the option to extend that by a year.

Maguire: our prize asset. It's easy to be critical given that Maguire is still prone to the odd error but his talent is unarguable. Could be a club legend but his head will be turned in the summer. Up to Clough to decide whether to cash in should the £5m+ bids arrive.

Collins: goes into the final year of his deal and, in all likelihood, his last season as a Blade. He's been a good servant but with Maguire beginning to show leadership qualities and looking more like the senior partner I'd not be surprised if our longest serving player loses his spot.

Kennedy: waited patiently through a horrific spell of injuries to get his chance. The only question mark over an extended deal for him is whether his knees can stand up to the rigours of professional football. It'd be a huge shame if the answer was no.

Banton, Evans: two more academy centre halves. Fairly sure Banton has signed a pro deal, less sure about Evans.

Midfield
Doyle:
possibly the player whose transformation under Clough I've been most surprised by. As with Collins, into the final year of his deal but he's thriving in his new role of seek and destroy.

Scougall: the raw potential of our latest Scot is there for all to see. He's a proper footballer and one to build the team around

McGinn: came with a great reputation but has let games pass by without stamping his authority on them. There are glimpses of class in there but he will have to accept a rotation role next year.

Flynn: another who's benefited immensely from working with Clough. Out of contract in the summer but almost certain to stay on, he's perhaps not as immediately impressive as Murphy but his discipline allows the right back to overlap to great effect.

Cuvelier: didn't really fit into Weir's 4-2-3-1 formation as he lacked the strength to play as one of the two holding midfielders and the technique and pace to play as one of the three attacking midfielders. Very unlikely to play again this year, he's got a long road ahead of him to get back to full fitness and into Clough's thoughts but he's got the ability to do so.

Dimaio: has leapfrogged to the front of the queue as go-to back up. I wouldn't be surprised if he played 30+ games next season and softened the blow of Coady leaving.

Reed: our youngest post war player, will have more of an impact later on next season but will probably play in the JPT games.

Whiteman: academy central midfielder who signed his first pro deal back in December.

Attacking Midfield
Murphy
: the little boy lost under Wilson and Weir has become one of the division's best wingers. He'll be pivotal to our chances next season.

Khan: confident with the ability to back it up; next season could be a big year for the fantastically-monikered winger.

Calvert-Lewin: has that all important ability to find the back of the net. It's a shame his season's over but will be pushing for a squad place at least next season

Di Girolamo: the most hyped player to come our of the Blades academy. Pre-season is make or break for him.
Coustrain: another academy player who will be looking to push on next season; Coustrain is a tricky winger.

Forwards
Baxter
: played out of position as a lone front man for most of his time under Clough but there's evidence of a real footballing brain there. Personally, I think he'd be better suited to playing off an out-and-out forward but his 19 goals for a struggling Oldham team last term suggests that he's got the talent to be a big success at the Lane.
Eyre: think he's signed professional terms, he will be looking to impress in pre-season.

Departures:
Hill:
the very definition of model pro, Hill's always done a job. However, with the number of young players coming through in his preferred position I don't know whether he will be kept on.

Hodder: given a pro deal last year but hasn't made the squad this season. Feels like a release is impending; might surprise if given a chance by a League Two team.

Whitehouse: once highly rated - perhaps highest after Maguire of the 2010 FA Youth Cup squad - but injuries and a lack of opportunities have slowed him down. Now probably 6th or 7th choice central midfielder at the club it wouldn't surprise me to see him leave with a decent sell on clause the only fee.

McFadzean: a string of loans punctuated with relatively ineffective performances in a red and white shirt would indicate that his time at the Lane will come to an end this summer. Likely to have a string of League Two clubs after his signature.

Porter: realises that he's not the world's best forward but would be better suited to a lesser club where he'd be picked week in, week out. His contract is up at the end of the season and while he's scored some vital goals for us, he's just not good enough.

Miller: one goal this season but it was a vital one - the 119th minute winner at Fulham. Currently on loan at Shrewsbury where he's scored a couple of goals; question marks remain over his ability to fully recover from his knee injury. Contract up in June and is likely to leave.

Taylor: has some of the attributes required to be a phenomenon but the whole is considerably less than the sum of the parts. The biggest issue with Taylor is his speed of thought - he just doesn't appear to think quickly enough at this level. Wouldn't surprise me if we cut our losses and he moved back to Scotland.

Ironside: has yet to find his level and that's after spells at United, Halifax and Harrogate Town. Will probably be released. Scored twice in 10 Halifax games and has yet to register for Harrogate.

Smith: also on loan at Harrogate, he's not really pushed on enough to suggest that he's worthy of a contract extension.

Arrivals:
It's pretty obvious to all concerned where the issues are with our current squad. Going into next season, we've only got two contracted forwards, one of whom is likely to depart and the other better playing as a #10. I've posted a list of possible targets elsewhere but it's compiled exclusively of young forwards playing for lesser teams which is what we should be looking for; with probably 3 needed.

The chance of us re-signing Brayford have to be put somewhere around the 'slim' mark. He's a very, very good player, probably too good for League One and if Derby go up I can see them returning for him. The trump card, however, is the Clough factor - how much is that worth per week to the Beard?

If Brayford doesn't sign, I've seen enough in Freeman's performances to suggest that he should be pursued. He's filled in on the left admirably, putting in a great performance at Crawley. At 21 he's got time on his side to develop into a class full back.

The only other position I'd like to see us look at is the leader role in the middle of the park. Following Brentford's promotion, Tiomane Diagouraga is likely to become available and he fits the bill perfectly - 6'4", a strong tackler and disciplined, he could be the long term replacement for Doyle.

Others:
Coady
is in last chance saloon at Liverpool and if he doesn't break into their 25 man Premiership squad next season will probably look to prove himself on loan at a lower top division or upper second division side rather than back in League One. He's been a great loan signing (how long since we could say that?!) but I can't see him being here next season.

There's been talk of Davies turning his loan spell into a permanent deal but I'm not sure about that. His professionalism should be applauded but he's not good enough as a wide midfielder for me. The only way I'd consider taking him is if he was content to be a back up but I can't see that happening. That said, Clough obviously rates him so it's more than likely that he'll join.

This post is brought to you by Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoyevsky Productions.
:)

Disagree about Davies, yes he's not a special player and isn't a natural wide man but he is a solid player with a cracking dead ball quality, it'd be a stronger squad with him than without him
I was speaking to someone about davies and they said he used to be a right fitness freak,but then had a few issues,he then said if he gets it back he will be quality for us

Agree re: Davies. Sign him if available. Would also like Cuvelier to prove his worth and break into the squad. Highly rated he is and with Dimaio coming through midfield looks good even without Coady who I feel we may get until January but no longer unless we're flying high.

Did I hear Jamie Ward is out of contract? He would fit in to this squad then somebody of the Leon Clarke build up top with Murphy, Baxter, Scougall, Ward & Flynn vying to play alongside on the flanks

Agree re: Davies. Sign him if available. Would also like Cuvelier to prove his worth and break into the squad. Highly rated he is and with Dimaio coming through midfield looks good even without Coady who I feel we may get until January but no longer unless we're flying high.

Did I hear Jamie Ward is out of contract? He would fit in to this squad then somebody of the Leon Clarke build up top with Murphy, Baxter, Scougall, Ward & Flynn vying to play alongside on the flanks

Maybe we could field the shortest team in the league next season:

Willis 6'0
Davies 5'7 Kennedy 5'10 Hill 5'7 Harris 5'8
Ward 5'5 Reed 5'5 (?) Doyle 5'10 Scougall 5'7 Flynn 5'7
Murphy 5'9​

Is there any chance of Ward coming back?....

Hmm. Love Maguire but I think talk of teams - including Man. U. - watching 'arry are a bit premature. Watched Chelsea t'other night and Cahill and Terry were immense. That's the standard to aspire to.

I spoke to an ex player who still works with us and he said there's been scouts watching Harry from Man U, Chelsea, Southampton, Wolves and amongst others who have said he's an excellent league one player/ decent championship but wouldn't stand a chance in the PL. I think is performance against Hull showed us this. Top player in my eyes and I'd be guttered to lose him. Keeping him before next season is a must!!

When I saw in todays star we were interested in Croft I was hoping it was Lara
View attachment 8258

She must have got three kids and be in her forties now. :eek:

Lara_Croft_by_zelda308.jpg

On a side note how come on the ipad when you copy a picture it won't paste straight on here but will on a computer.

Anyone else think ipads are crap?

Good spot OllyBlade

Attacking Midfield
Brandy
: probably the one signing out of the four announced the same day by Weir that the fans were most excited by. However, the reality proved somewhat different and Brandy left under a cloud back to former club Walsall having been banned for almost half of his time at the Lane. Pace and trickery combined with an inability to stay on his feet made him a target for opposition full backs and he has some serious work to do in the summer if he wants to remain at United.

Departures
Brandy
: talking to a friend who's played with Brandy makes me think that he'll never see eye to eye with Clough. "Febien's one of those, always late for training, car's got a flat tyre". If he can't sort his basic discipline out then he'll not stay. Quite who will stump up the £250k that we're likely to ask for though is a different matter.

Why is everybody expecting Maguire to be off or trying to push him out the door at the end of the season.
Clough has already offered him a new contract extension.
We complain when we sell our best players but we cannot get them out the door fast enough when they turn out decent.
IMHO he will be here next year.

Why is everybody expecting Maguire to be off or trying to push him out the door at the end of the season.
Clough has already offered him a new contract extension.
We complain when we sell our best players but we cannot get them out the door fast enough when they turn out decent.
IMHO he will be here next year.

I don't think I've said that I expect him to be off or that I'm pushing him out of the door? Pretty sure it's clear that I rate him ("Could be a club legend") but that I also expect some sizeable bids to come in this summer. I don't think either is arguable - neither is the fact that our position in the third tier of English football means that Maguire could have his head turned.

FWIW I think he'll stay, signing new terms making him the best paid player at the club and I don't disagree with that. He, Scougall and Baxter are players to build a very good side around.

I don't think I've said that I expect him to be off or that I'm pushing him out of the door? Pretty sure it's clear that I rate him ("Could be a club legend") but that I also expect some sizeable bids to come in this summer. I don't think either is arguable - neither is the fact that our position in the third tier of English football means that Maguire could have his head turned.

FWIW I think he'll stay, signing new terms making him the best paid player at the club and I don't disagree with that. He, Scougall and Baxter are players to build a very good side around.

...add a touch of Coady and a hint of Beard. Mix two good quality strikers and what have you got?........

5 million quid for Maguire? Wheres the evidence that he would even get by in the championship. Good luck to a prem club with that at centre half. Jesus.

Can anyone explain to me what made Baxter the man to build a team around for the last 2 months ?

The fact he's the most gifted footballer in the club.
Disagree ,gifted at what ? He has a good touch but his all round game is poor ,and therefore he becomes a luxury we cant afford to carry. Murphy and Scougall are just 2 more 'gifted' players and they add much more than Baxter. He is living on his long range goal early in the season ,and our lack of forwards ,he has been very poor for at least 2 months.

Disagree ,gifted at what ? He has a good touch but his all round game is poor ,and therefore he becomes a luxury we cant afford to carry. Murphy and Scougall are just 2 more 'gifted' players and they add much more than Baxter. He is living on his long range goal early in the season ,and our lack of forwards ,he has been very poor for at least 2 months.
I strongly disagree that Baxter has been very poor. He is definitely one of the more naturally gifted footballers we have in the squad and he has quality. Suggesting that he is living off of one goal is incredibly harsh since he is playing out of his preferred position and has contributed to a lot of our success under Clough. José has taken some undeserved stick lately.

I agree with you sitwell that hes not been very good over the last couple of months or so but that has something to do with playing him out of position.
What i cant agree on however is that his all round game is poor,for me he is by far the most gifted player on our books when played right,he has to be played in a midfield 3 for me ,not out wide,get him in the middle and quite deep aswell sometimes let him dictate play

Seems a bit OTT. I'm really not that much of a fan of his, but "very poor" feels like stretching it a bit. He's not been that bad.

He always looks overweight, he tires too early in games, he scuffs shots a lot and he can be selfish, but he's got a good touch, clearly has a good brain and can pick out a pass. He has definitely contributed to the team during our turnaround under Clough.

I strongly disagree that Baxter has been very poor. He is definitely one of the more naturally gifted footballers we have in the squad and he has quality. Suggesting that he is living off of one goal is incredibly harsh since he is playing out of his preferred position and has contributed to a lot of our success under Clough. José has taken some undeserved stick lately.

I'm afraid that, if we didn't have a whipping boy, it wouldn't be United.:)

Jose is one of those game-changers. Never going to buzz around like SS, liable to mistakes but has excellent vision and a 'footballer's brain'.

Just another vital ingredient in Clough's soup.

Back
Top Bottom