RIP Cooperman

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

puppet

Reaction score
Don't know if this is the right place for this but understand he passed away yesterday. RIP.

This might be a major faux pas on my part, I saw it on a fellow Blades FB page.

Not the one who posts here - the bookmaker?

UTB
Not CooperBlade, the bookmaker whose first Blades match was in 1982, who posts in here.

Kevin Cooper who is known as Cooperman to those who watched the Blades regularly in the late 1970s and throughout the 1980s. We were losing 4-0 at Grimsby (who were one of the 3 teams to get promotion while we were in mid-table) in May 1980, Cooperman made a rousing speech to the Blades fans near the end of the match and as a result it was the Blades fans who outsung the Grimsby fans who were supposed to be in a celebratory mood! Reg Brealey, who was invited to the match as a guest of one of grimsby directors, was so impressed with the Blades fans so he decided to join the Blades board in Summer 1980 (as the financial director, I think) before becoming our chairman in summer 1981.

Cooperman was a miner and was in the news during the mining strike and I think he was interviewed by the tv giving his strong support towards Arthur Scargill.

I remember getting in the South Stand when the club decided it was too cold outside for the Blades fans who were queuing overnight for the FA Cup tickets at Blackburn in 1993, a drunk Blade saw a steward who he had problems with in the past had a shouting match with him and he was going to lash out at him, Cooperman was one of those (I was another) who stepped in to try and calm down the drunk Blade. The drunk was told by the stewards that he had one more chance to behave but a few minutes later he took issue with the same steward so all the stewards decided to throw him out! While we were waiting in the south stand, Cooperman was entertaining us with his jokes, clapping and chanting etc

We were losing 4-0 at Grimsby (who were one of the 3 teams to get promotion while we were in mid-table) in May 1980, Cooperman made a rousing speech to the Blades fans near the end of the match and as a result it was the Blades fans who outsung the Grimsby fans who were supposed to be in a celebratory mood! Reg Brealey, who was invited to the match as a guest of one of grimsby directors, was so impressed with the Blades fans so he decided to join the Blades board in Summer 1980 (as the financial director, I think) before becoming our chairman in summer 1981.
wow.. i was at that game.. condolences this man was a 'top' blade :(

Last edited by a moderator:
It was your Uncle Steve who pointed out Cooperman to me after I had read about him in Flashing Blade in the early 1990s! I have seen Cooperman being one of the Stewards once or twice!
If this is true, RIP Kevin!
I worked with Kev at Treeton Colliery in the 80's, he was a huge character to say the least, in a workforce riddled with big characters! Coops was always dafter and louder than most but if you got him away from the crowd he could be articulate and analytical.
He loved the Blades!

From what I've read about Cooperman, I don't think he'd begrudge me sticking a :) on this thread.

Had people asking me if I was Cooperman when I first started posting on Blades United.

RIP.

I`m sure it was Newcastle away when the cops kept us behind and lined up as straight as an arrow in front of the Blades supporters on the edge of the pitch, when Cooperman jumped onto the pitch and walked down the line of cops looking them up and down as though he was doing a parade inspection, brilliant! He was always the funniest on the away coaches, had everybody in stitches!

There is a possibility this may be a little premature people, the last I heard was that he was going to be taken off life support yesterday. Not heard anything since other than members of his family being upset by well meaning but inaccurate "RIP" messages on Facebook.

I totally understand the sentiments and know that everyone is totally well meaning, but we should respect the man and his family and keep the discussion to a minimum before we know for sure the situation.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this on here but I am sure many of the older blades around the forum know Kevin Cooper and might wanted to send well wishes to his family and friends.

A friend of mine called me yesterday to tell me the sad news that cooperman is seriously ill on life support machine at Sheffield's Hallamshire Hospital. I don't know anything else other than at the moment he is in a bad way and his son told friends on facebook that although he is battling on a decision is to be made as to whether to switch off his life support machine.

Deeply saddened to hear this news about a legend of the stands following United home and Away for years on end. A thoroughly nice bloke and a real character who I feel pleasured to know.

My thoughts are with all of Cooperman's friends and family at this tough time.

No don't think it was either kid called Bry I think, I have some good stories about Cooper but that's for another day my thoughts are with his family right now, Cooper would be 56/57 ish am I right?

Kevin passed away earlier today.

RIP Cooperman.

A Blade of my own vintage. I've known him for about 40 years without ever speaking to him.

A real character of the old school and taken from us far too early. We shall miss him.

RIP Cooperman. Top Blade.

No don't think it was either kid called Bry I think, I have some good stories about Cooper but that's for another day my thoughts are with his family right now, Cooper would be 56/57 ish am I right?

Ive not seen Cooperman for ages thoughts are with his family
I still see Bry now and again in one of my locals doesnt go very often these days

I remember Cooperman from the 1970's as he went to Park House at Tinsley while I was at Brinsworth High School. An absolute gem of a bloke and taken from us far too early.

RIP and condolences to his family and friends.

Anybody think we should pay tribute by trying to see if we can get the entire crowd singing "There's only one Kevin Cooper" or "Cooperman (to the tune of here we go)" at the Coventry game? I know there will be some thickarsed pigs saying we've nicked their idea re what was done recently but surely it would be fitting if the ground and those who follow the club he loved sing his name...

Anybody up for letting Jim Phipps and Gary Sinclair know or think it's got a chance? If so,spread the word on here & anywhere else you think relevant #doitforcooperman #bladestogether

I remember him addressing the Blades at Grimsby- never seen anything like it. When I told my mates about it at school they said I'd made it up. Then- the next season we played Chesterfield away (possibly a cup replay). For some reason Cooperman was walking round the pitch and a large group of Blades started chant his name.
I also remember his one man pitch invasion at York. I think he went on specifically to hug Bob Hatton and caused a slight delay to the game.
Although I only spoke to him a few of times- he was someone who you saw everywhere and he always made me smile.
Sad to hear the news and my thoughts are with those close to him.

Very sad to hear this. He wrote an article of his antics in the first 'Blades Tales' book, I've just dug it out, have a look if you've got a copy, FAF!

Back
Top Bottom