NC Wanting to add`2 or 3 quality signings`

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sharp would be a good shout but I think a higher placed club will get him, if only he was doing porridge then I'd say we'd stand a chance

He could join Doncaster or his boyhood club (albeit the 3rd time) to join the Clough revolution. Cloughie tried to sign him last season when at Derby.

I can't see us keeping Miller ahead of Baxter, though I would agree Baxter is in a perilous position. I would consider loaning Long but certainly not selling him yet.

The rest I agree with, but Mackie is well out of our reach. He would tear up this division but having played for QPR and Forest he'll be on immense wages.

Madness, this is the same Long who had 24 clean sheets last season. He needs a good summer of some hard work on his 18 yard awareness and he will be fine. I thought he looked quite assured against Rotherham.

Madness, this is the same Long who had 24 clean sheets last season. He needs a good summer of some hard work on his 18 yard awareness and he will be fine. I thought he looked quite assured against Rotherham.

I know Sitters doesn't rate him, but he will only improve and his value will only grow. Selling him now would only necessitate buying another keeper. If Long can't displace Howard (which seems unlikely at the moment), get him playing in Div2. He'll come back better.

I would agree with a few on here, strikers are a must but I do believe if the ched rumours are true we will have potentially a 30+ goals per season striker for nowt

But not released until October, or fit until months after that. We can't rely on that for next season. A new striker (s) is a must.

UTB

The problem we have is a ridiculously large squad which Cloughie hasn't yet had chance to cull. We still haven't cleared out legacy and Weir shite.

My first cut suggestion is as follows (I'm not sure on who is and who isn't in contract, I've also added the youngsters that should start to challenge, most of which don't contribute to the SCMP calculation).

The key business for me is retaining four of the loanees and adding two fantastic strikers. Obviously there will be some other changes and hopefully we don't lose any of our best players. He could supplement this squad with other loanees - Cloughie unlike previous managers seems to be good at loanees.

This would make a squad of 26, albeit with 4 youngsters and that is bigger than Cloughie likes to work with. So, some of these will be going out on loan.

Under contract and keep (16)
George Long
George Willis
Harry Maguire
Neill Collins
Stephen McGinn
Stefan Scougall
Jose Baxter
Michael Doyle
Jamie Murphy
Diego De Girolamo
Callum McFadzean
Florent Cuvelier
Otis Khan
Connor Dimaio
Louis Reed
Dom Calvert-Lewin

extend contract (4)
Mark Howard
Terry Kennedy
Bob Harris
Ryan Flynn

Sign or if not further loan (6)
John Brayford
Kieron Freeman
Conor Coady
Ben Davies
2 fantastic new strikers

Release / Transfer list / send back not to return (10)
Jasper Johns
Elliott Whitehouse
Matt Hill
Joe Ironside
Chris Porter
Billy Paynter
Lyle Taylor
Febian Brandy
Darryl Westlake
Sean McGinty

What do you all think ?

I think that looks about right to me.
Except I think the players who haven't featured this season won't be in Clough's plans for next season.
So I think McFadzean will also be released and Cuvelier sold or loaned out once he's fit.
I also wouldn't count the six kids you mention in your 26 (i.e. Willis, Diego, Khan, Dimaio, Reid, Calvert-Lewin).
So that leaves 18 "Senior" players which I think is much closer to the size of squad Clough will actually want.

I think with the current system and first choice team, the obvious players we can improve upon are Baxter, Flynn and Collins.
So I would expect a new "quality" centre-back and a wide player to also be added to the first-choice team,
Baxter, Flynn and Collins will drop to the bench and the likes of Porter, Miller and Hill will leave.
That's how we will improve enough to challenge for the top two. Evolution not revolution.

In the summer he said on Radio sheff today he wants to add 2 or 3 `quality signings to the current squad`.
Whether the `current squad`means the likes of Brayford and Davies and Coady already deemed part of the `current squad`? i dont know.
If they are to be deemed part of that,which players would be giving way to be replaced by `the quality additions`?
I think the Goal keeping position is well enough left,Howards proved his worth,with young Long and Willis in the wings.
Harris to me is good enough on the left,as is beard on the right.
Big H is maybe a mover this summer,defo good enough to play a division above.
Collins perhaps has had his time with us,so would like to see replaced.
Murphy and Flynn have stated there place.
Doyle has proved he `can do the captains job`after much critisism,and has been supurb since his suspension.
Coady if he stays has cemented his place as a holding and attacking midfielder,and will be hard to replace if we cant keep hold of him.
That leaves Scougall,Baxter and Mr Porter as our attacking options.

I would like to think we could build our attack around Scouggs,leaving Baxter as back up for him.
Id buy a quality central defender to replace Collins thats for certain.
And obviuosly an out and out striker to play up with Scougs.
Apart from that the squad would be more than ready to mount a top 2 push next term.If the `obvious`players stay.
Thoughts?

Hopefully Coady & Brayford on season loans and would be happy to see Freeman, Harris and Davies signed. Also need 2 strikers ( Callum Wilson plus another, maybe ) a centre half with pace and a centre midfield player with pace and strength to stop us being bullied.

This also assumes we keep Harry !!!

We can balance this by losing Hill, Couvellier, Doyle, Porter or Miller, Taylor, Brandy,McGinn, Westlake, Johns.

Looking forward to next season though for the first time in a while.
UTB & FTP

Can i throw in the name Aneke the guy on loan at crewe from arsenal. Big powerful centre midfielder that tore us to shreds could be a good possible signing for us. Can't see him getting a chance at Arsenal and might fancy a move to a bigger team than Crewe.

Thoughts?

Can i throw in the name Aneke the guy on loan at crewe from arsenal. Big powerful centre midfielder that tore us to shreds could be a good possible signing for us. Can't see him getting a chance at Arsenal and might fancy a move to a bigger team than Crewe.

Thoughts?
Trouble is he'll be unable to play in the cup final next year against his parent club

Should Harry move on, Clough had been very loyal to Shaun Barker through his massive injury. Quality defender, a leader and captain, that may be worth a small gamble providing he is able to get a pre season in.

We've had a great few months now, but I think it's important not to fall in love with every current member of the team. We are 12th in the current form table and I don't think 2 or 3 new players will be enough at all when our aim is automatic promotion.

I feel sure that we became a bit distracted by Wembley and we also had a run of difficult games, Posh, Brentford, Wolves, Orient and Rotherham and we lost only one of those after a fantastic run before that. I reckon we'll end up further up the form table, in fact, league position and from table placing will probably coincide at about 8th. After such a dire start, that surely sets us up for a tilt at promotion with the right players in.

I would keep Miller and release/sell Macfadzean ,Baxter,Porter and Long. Add 2 quality strikers like Wilson and Mackie ,and see what happens with the Evans situation ,an additional quality centre half and a physical tall midfielder. Then we have a squad and manager capable of automatic promotion.
I would never willingly sell Baxter.

The problem we have is a ridiculously large squad which Cloughie hasn't yet had chance to cull. We still haven't cleared out legacy and Weir shite.

My first cut suggestion is as follows (I'm not sure on who is and who isn't in contract, I've also added the youngsters that should start to challenge, most of which don't contribute to the SCMP calculation).

The key business for me is retaining four of the loanees and adding two fantastic strikers. Obviously there will be some other changes and hopefully we don't lose any of our best players. He could supplement this squad with other loanees - Cloughie unlike previous managers seems to be good at loanees.

This would make a squad of 26, albeit with 4 youngsters and that is bigger than Cloughie likes to work with. So, some of these will be going out on loan.

Under contract and keep (16)
George Long
George Willis
Harry Maguire
Neill Collins
Stephen McGinn
Stefan Scougall
Jose Baxter
Michael Doyle
Jamie Murphy
Diego De Girolamo
Callum McFadzean
Florent Cuvelier
Otis Khan
Connor Dimaio
Louis Reed
Dom Calvert-Lewin

extend contract (4)
Mark Howard
Terry Kennedy
Bob Harris
Ryan Flynn

Sign or if not further loan (6)
John Brayford
Kieron Freeman
Conor Coady
Ben Davies
2 fantastic new strikers

Release / Transfer list / send back not to return (10)
Jasper Johns
Elliott Whitehouse
Matt Hill
Joe Ironside
Chris Porter
Billy Paynter
Lyle Taylor
Febian Brandy
Darryl Westlake
Sean McGinty

What do you all think ?
Would dispense with McFazdean and McGinn from the keep list, use youth and new signings in midfield. Give Taylor another chance depending who comes in as a striker, he could be good playing off someone like Ched if he comes back. Cuvelier could take a season to recover and rebuild his game so don't see him playing any part in next years team, maybe re loan him out. Would deffo want Freeman to stay, not sure about Davis given his age, might be ok for another season at this level but can't see us keeping Brayford or Cody. Agree with extend list in particular TK

Thoughts?
Yes, only 20 good scoring and assists record and about to be out of contract at Arsenal.

I would expect him to be in high demand though.

2-3 quality signings seems about right. Striker is a must, then possibly another centre back and a midfielder whether that be wide or centrally. Depends if Brandy gets another chance. The squad as it is will be good enough for promotion imo. Adding strength in depth and we could win the league. Exciting times ahead.

For centre back see rumours board :)

My analysis for what it is worth as a remote supporter:

Keepers: Howard – done well since he came in BUT is injury prone. Also end of contract. May be let go but depends on:

Willis – is he ready to play yet?

Long – he’ll stays unless a good offer comes in (it may)

If we lose either Howard or Long we need an experienced backup of the Ian Bennett type (but not him)

Defence

Right Back: the Beard I cannot see returning. Doubtful we could afford his wages on a buy and Cardiff could use him when they go down. Season long loan with a purchase option might work.

Freeman – probably be bought, provides solid backup on both sides

Centre Half: Harry will move on I’m sure. Don’t want him to but it might be the right time for his career.

Collins – up and down but has the right experience if playing with:

Kennedy – did well when he came in, needs to be developed alongside an experienced player and likely needs a bit more strength

Hill – contract up and, while versatile, will likely be let go.

Left Back: Harris is fine as starter, definitely good enough for L1

Johns might be used if he has developed on loan, otherwise I think he’ll be let go

Dimaio has no experience so will only be a bit part player

Freeman is a good backup here

Realistically we need another centre half if Harry goes. We need to keep Freeman or get someone like him that can play either side. We will probably need to replace Brayford.

Midfield

Doyle – will stay. Not the best player we have but has stepped up lately and has Clough’s confidence.

Coady – love to keep him but his logical next step is a year at a good Championship team. Wigan would probably suit him assuming they don’t go up.

Flynn – might be some sniffs for him but I think he will stay. Needs to bring his A game every time though

Scougal - will stay. He still needs to develop and has a good coaching staff to help him do that.

McGinn – not sure about him, seems like a drifter and not sure what he brings. Could be moved on.

Davies – will sign. Brings versatility. Not a winger, but can cover midfield and defence roles.

Brandy – bridges burned methinks.

We really need another couple of midfielders even if Davies signs.

Forwards

Porter – a tryer, but please move him on. I suspect he will be around though, seems to be liked by NC

Baxter – if we have a really good target man he can score a hatful

Paynter – bye, bye

Murphy – hold on tight, the Championship will be all over him. Strong likelihood he will move unfortunately.

Diego – breakthough year perhaps, but let’s not put all the weight on his shoulders

Ironside – just doesn’t look like the kind of player we need

Taylor – it would be interesting to see if Clough can get him to fit the system. He could answer some of the pace issues we have. Not convinced he is a natural finisher though.

We need a strong and PACY centre forward AND a backup for that role. There is talk of Ched returning. Notwithstanding the rights or wrongs of that, don’t expect miracles. He’s been out a long time, and remember he took ages to get going when he first arrived.

It will be an interesting summer for sure. In Clough we trust.

All we need this summer is to keep Brayford, Coady and sign a couple of quality players. For me a good centre half and a good, strong, mobile centre forward.

Behind the new striker I would have any three from Flynn, Baxter, Scougall and Murphy. All of them in and around the first eleven and rotated to keep them fresh.

I would like to think we could build our attack around Scouggs,leaving Baxter as back up for him.

Baxter is too good to leave out. He has the ability to change a game even playing out of position but he's a natural no.10 to me. Where as Scougall has the ability to play anywhere in midfield imo.....he's that good.

We have enough places and enough games to accommodate Baxter in a more natural withdrawn role and can switch things around as and when we need to.

Baxter is too good to leave out. He has the ability to change a game even playing out of position but he's a natural no.10 to me. Where as Scougall has the ability to play anywhere in midfield imo.....he's that good.

We have enough places and enough games to accommodate Baxter in a more natural withdrawn role and can switch things around as and when we need to.

With an intelligent, quick striker to play off Baxter would flourish. Said striker could score a bagful from Baxters vision/technique whilst said striker could also open up space for Baxter to chip in with a few goals too.

Said striker is called Callum Wilson.

I feel sure that we became a bit distracted by Wembley and we also had a run of difficult games, Posh, Brentford, Wolves, Orient and Rotherham and we lost only one of those after a fantastic run before that. I reckon we'll end up further up the form table, in fact, league position and from table placing will probably coincide at about 8th. After such a dire start, that surely sets us up for a tilt at promotion with the right players in.

Already said it before but Clough already has the upper hand on every third division manager next season, none will fancy their chances against him.

I keep seeing Callum Wilson's name cropping up. No doubt he's a good player but there are sure to be teams higher up the football league checking him out. It's gonna take a hard sell to persuade him to stay in league 1

I keep seeing Callum Wilson's name cropping up. No doubt he's a good player but there are sure to be teams higher up the football league checking him out. It's gonna take a hard sell to persuade him to stay in league 1

Maybe, maybe not. Of course it's poster speculation, Wilson may not appeal to Clough. We have a two pronged negotiating position though:

1: How this club has turned itself around this season, plus the cup run.

2: The reason for the above, our manager.

Clough's value to this club extends way beyond the day to day interaction with his players. It's obvious he's a manager who demands much of his players, that he wants to be successful, so wouldn't any young, aspiring player want to be part of what Clough and SUFC has to offer? For most players who visit this club they'll see that the infrastructure's in place. Great ground, good training facilities, financial backing, and driving this forward, the son of Brian.

Just as we've gotten used to Clough's no nonsense approach, hopefully it will appeal to any player who want to be part of a club moving forward. Anyone with a shred of self-respect will recognise that coming here should mean a better chance of becoming a first team regular than sitting on the bench for months at another club. It might take a sell, but whether it'll take a hard sell remains to be seen.

I cant belive people are thinking Baxter will leave!!!

Hes probably the only player we have (Diego) aside who has great touch & vision.

IMO we will keep Baxter & add an Athletic striker & Target man.

We will loose Porter & Miller so that will free up those 2 spots.

Midfield we will need a good Box to box mid. Chucks Aneke from Arsenal?

Defence we probably will need 2 new CBs as i can either see Harry or Collins leaving.

From Clough's interview with Paul Walker, it sounded as though transfer news as follows:
  • Taylor & Brandy will be off - Clough was noticeably cagey about them, essentially said he knew what he was going to do but needed to let the players know first
  • Cuvelier won't be fit till Christmas so 'there's nothing we can do' there
  • Flynn has been offered a new deal
  • Howard, though a 1-year option is there anyway for near season, will likely sit down for new contract talks this summer
  • Coady & Brayford - sounded as though he will try for next year, but no decision likely by the parent clubs involved till later in the summer
  • We won't be signing the trialist Fyvie, as he only wants to bring in players of significantly better quality in the middle of midfield to what we already have (Fyvie a decent player, but we've already got plenty of decent players in that area)
  • The other trialist Stewart is off for a trial at Liverpool - will see what happens with that, may go back in for him
https://audioboo.fm/boos/2084024-sheff-utd-manager-nigel-clough-pre-stevenage

My analysis for what it is worth as a remote supporter:

Keepers: Howard – done well since he came in BUT is injury prone. Also end of contract. May be let go but depends on:

Willis – is he ready to play yet?

Long – he’ll stays unless a good offer comes in (it may)

If we lose either Howard or Long we need an experienced backup of the Ian Bennett type (but not him)

Defence

Right Back: the Beard I cannot see returning. Doubtful we could afford his wages on a buy and Cardiff could use him when they go down. Season long loan with a purchase option might work.

Freeman – probably be bought, provides solid backup on both sides

Centre Half: Harry will move on I’m sure. Don’t want him to but it might be the right time for his career.

Collins – up and down but has the right experience if playing with:

Kennedy – did well when he came in, needs to be developed alongside an experienced player and likely needs a bit more strength

Hill – contract up and, while versatile, will likely be let go.

Left Back: Harris is fine as starter, definitely good enough for L1

Johns might be used if he has developed on loan, otherwise I think he’ll be let go

Dimaio has no experience so will only be a bit part player

Freeman is a good backup here

Realistically we need another centre half if Harry goes. We need to keep Freeman or get someone like him that can play either side. We will probably need to replace Brayford.

Midfield

Doyle – will stay. Not the best player we have but has stepped up lately and has Clough’s confidence.

Coady – love to keep him but his logical next step is a year at a good Championship team. Wigan would probably suit him assuming they don’t go up.

Flynn – might be some sniffs for him but I think he will stay. Needs to bring his A game every time though

Scougal - will stay. He still needs to develop and has a good coaching staff to help him do that.

McGinn – not sure about him, seems like a drifter and not sure what he brings. Could be moved on.

Davies – will sign. Brings versatility. Not a winger, but can cover midfield and defence roles.

Brandy – bridges burned methinks.

We really need another couple of midfielders even if Davies signs.

Forwards

Porter – a tryer, but please move him on. I suspect he will be around though, seems to be liked by NC

Baxter – if we have a really good target man he can score a hatful

Paynter – bye, bye

Murphy – hold on tight, the Championship will be all over him. Strong likelihood he will move unfortunately.

Diego – breakthough year perhaps, but let’s not put all the weight on his shoulders

Ironside – just doesn’t look like the kind of player we need

Taylor – it would be interesting to see if Clough can get him to fit the system. He could answer some of the pace issues we have. Not convinced he is a natural finisher though.

We need a strong and PACY centre forward AND a backup for that role. There is talk of Ched returning. Notwithstanding the rights or wrongs of that, don’t expect miracles. He’s been out a long time, and remember he took ages to get going when he first arrived.

It will be an interesting summer for sure. In Clough we trust.
Why have you got Dimaio in defence he's a midfielder.

With an intelligent, quick striker to play off Baxter would flourish. Said striker could score a bagful from Baxters vision/technique whilst said striker could also open up space for Baxter to chip in with a few goals too.

Said striker is called Callum Wilson.

Completely agree. Wilson would be my no.1 target as well. Pace, movement and good finishing. Baxter would be an ideal no.10 to play off him. Scougall equally.

looking at this seasons leading scorers in league one wolves players apart , should give some clues as to who we need up front , not all of them but pluck one for starters
Callum Wilson Coventry City 21

Kieran Agard Rotherham United 20

Ryan Lowe Tranmere Rovers 19

Joe Garner Preston North End 18

David Mooney Leyton Orient 18

Leon Clarke Wolverhampton Wanderers 16

Nouha Dicko Wolverhampton Wanderers 16

Clayton Donaldson Brentford 16

Chukwuemeka Aneke Crewe Alexandra 15

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas Bristol City 15

Cody McDonald Gillingham 15

Nicky Ajose Peterborough United 13
Aneke could be the new Agana for one

looking at this seasons leading scorers in league one wolves players apart , should give some clues as to who we need up front , not all of them but pluck one for starters
Callum Wilson Coventry City 21

Kieran Agard Rotherham United 20

Ryan Lowe Tranmere Rovers 19

Joe Garner Preston North End 18

David Mooney Leyton Orient 18

Leon Clarke Wolverhampton Wanderers 16

Nouha Dicko Wolverhampton Wanderers 16

Clayton Donaldson Brentford 16

Chukwuemeka Aneke Crewe Alexandra 15

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas Bristol City 15

Cody McDonald Gillingham 15

Nicky Ajose Peterborough United 13
Aneke could be the new Agana for one

Aneke is a midfielder, and not especially quick. He also remains an Arsenal player so I expect him to be loaned or sold to a Championship side.

As for the others in the list, I reckon Wilson is the outstanding candidate in terms of potential, but would cost the most. A few of the others are of an age that we're unlikely to invest a significant fee for.

I wouldn't be surprised if Clough picked up a couple of Championship reserves we know little about.

Back
Top Bottom