So one more to come then...........

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

And Riley seems to be extremely highly rated. Not great investment, but possibly excellent business.
You would think there would be a fee, or covering wages in that deal too.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love for us to have just spunked £5-6 million on some re-enforcement but it just isn't realistic in our current league and our current financial position.

Because I'm not owner and don't have the capacity to do so.

Next...

KM has spent multi-millions he will never get back and is treading more carefully these days. Which team in our league has spent more than us in this window?

Next?

KM has spent multi-millions he will never get back and is treading more carefully these days. Which team in our league has spent more than us in this window?

Next?
They might not need to. I don't know because I couldn't give a flying about anyone but SU.

And I know that we are short of a striker and midfielder if we want to maintain top two.

They might not need to. I don't know because I couldn't give a flying about anyone but SU.

And I know that we are short of a striker and midfielder if we want to maintain top two.

That's manifestly not true. We are comfortably in the top two without the said striker and midfielder. We would all welcome further additions but demonstrably false claims don't advance your case. If you were a Bolton or Scunthorpe fan you would doubtless identify players needed for them if they 'want to maintain top two'.

Incidentally, I have good news. We are about to sign a striker and a midfielder....

That's manifestly not true. We are comfortably in the top two without the said striker and midfielder. We would all welcome further additions but demonstrably false claims don't advance your case. If you were a Bolton or Scunthorpe fan you would doubtless identify players needed for them if they 'want to maintain top two'.

Incidentally, I have good news. We are about to sign a striker and a midfielder....
Good stuff I hope so.

Good stuff I hope so.

In fact I see the striker [Hanson] has now signed. Our strikeforce will be so potent that even Matty Done will struggle to get a game. The midfielder [O'Shea] is said to be arriving soon. Eight goals and eight assists in a poor team, people are saying [I haven't checked the stats]. Carruthers of course is also a new signing for midfield. He looks a very good recruit from what I've seen [not much, I accept].

confused as to why people are slagging of the board and there lack of financing..... I mean, we knew after the wier, clough and adkins fiasco Wilder was brought in to minimise the squad, the wage bill and to work with a very tight budget. He said it himself.. Granted we are top of the league but i think the board as well as the manager and majority of fans feel we have a team good enough for league 1 and to be fair, were top of the league so the proofs in the pudding so to speak.. Were on year 6 in this league and have come so close so many times, so im positive the board have that at the forefront of there minds and refuse to delve into the transfer market with rose tinted glasses like previous times.. Its still January and theres a fair few games to go.. I suspect in the summer there will be a recruitment drive, but for now, I presume the board are just seeing how it goes.

For once, we seem to have invested wisely.

We've targeted 3 good performers at this level whose contracts are up and taken advantage of that.

What's not to like?

We've covered the Defence, in the middle and out wide. We've added creativity and goals to an already Creative midfield and we've added a physical forward that we didn't have for the winter months.

We've also offloaded nobody.

As to investing large sums, what did we do with Brayford? That didn't guarantee promotion, did it? In fact Freeman is looking far more astute business.

We have 18 league games to bring it home and Wilder has sensibly covered all bases to make sure even an injury crisis can be absorbed.

No other team has been as proactive and if anything look like either losing players e.g. Scunny and Morris or sticking with what they have e.g. Bolton.

We're top of the league without these additions. They will only make us stronger while others tread water.

Chin up Blades fans. This is what sensible investment should look like at this level.

UTB

We've targeted 3 good performers at this level whose contracts are up and taken advantage of that.

What's not to like?

We've covered the Defence, in the middle and out wide. We've added creativity and goals to an already Creative midfield and we've added a physical forward that we didn't have for the winter months.

As to investing large sums, what did we do with Brayford? That didn't guarantee promotion, did it? In fact Freeman is looking far more astute business.

We have 18 league games to bring it home and Wilder has sensibly covered all bases to make sure even an injury crisis can be absorbed.

No other team has been as proactive and if anything look like either losing players e.g. Scunny and Morris or sticking with what they have e.g. Bolton.

We're top of the league without these additions. They will only make us stronger while others tread water.

Chin up Blades fans. This is what sensible investment should look like at this level.

UTB
Good post! Agree completely.

What's not to like?

UTB

Stop talking sense.

For me, its clear that CW has been given some funds to bring in reinforcements but not at a ridiculous level of non sustainable finance. The board have been very proactive in backing Chris and hve done their bit. Ive been critical of the board in the past (as we all probably have) but they deserve some praise this time. People demanding that we go out and spend fortunes on million pound players are naive to say the least, as no div 1 club including ourselves can afford to do that. We arent at that poker table until we get promoted.

For CWs part i think he has done another greatjob of recruitment. Hes brought in some really effective players for div 1 and has covered the squad for injuries. He's freshened it up and added cover and real competition. All on a restraining budget of course and he has been clever in targeting the players who are out of contract in the summer to get value for money. Lafferty, Carruthers, Hanson, O'Shea were all out of contract and would have cost substantially more if that wasnt the case. Wilders made his money stretch a long way and been very smart with the coin.

Who knows whether Utd will finally go up this season? What i do know though is that pound for pound we have by far the best squad of players in this league bar non. Any other club in div 1 (bolton, mk dons, scunnie, charlton) would give their left bollock to have Utds squad. Weve given ourselves a great chance, now its time to nail this promotion lark once and for all. Go get em Blades.

Cannot believe some of the comments on here !!!
The board appear to still be backing CW despite one or two 'iffy signings' eg Hussey, Wilson, Clarke
We are picking up players that have a proven track record in this division and appear to want to come and play for the Blades rather than here for the dosh !
Yes, we still look a bit slack at the back but Carruthers, Coutts, Fleck, Duffy O'Shea, Riley, Freeman & Scougall are a better midfield squad than any other in this division and really Lavery, Done, Clarke, Hanson are more than capable of complimenting our skipper in the goals division
Board 'Not Backing' our manager - I bet you that every other third division manager wished they had the support that CW is currently getting !

Striker - Hanson Midfielder - Carruthers.
I think we've already covered this, any further purchases are surely into the "going for it" category?

@Swaccountants on Twitter reckons we may be looking to sign right full back/wing back Conor McLaughlin late into the window if the opportunity arises if thats to be believed. But I personally think this will be it and we'll only see the odd outgoing now.

@Swaccountants on Twitter reckons we may be looking to sign right full back/wing back Conor McLaughlin late into the window if the opportunity arises if thats to be believed. But I personally think this will be it and we'll only see the odd outgoing now.

Interesting if true, but CW himself said that Hanson and O'Shea were the last bits of business we would be doing (unless that was a veiled threat to Conor McLaughlin and his agent to play ball or get left behind?)

The guy who said we weren't after a no.9.

He might get one right one day.

He's now said that our business is finished.

The way I see it we've signed Hanson instead of the right sided player (possibly McLaughlin) Wilder referred to a couple of weeks ago. It doesn't seem to be a deal that's been in place any longer than a week.

He says the forward we bid for on Monday was Rob Hall at Oxford, but their asking price had doubled since the start of the window as he's found form and they've done well. That's a real shame if so because I think he would've been a very good signing for under 250k. His knee injury would've been the reason for getting him cheaply but it's the only real injury he's had. We could've had him on a free in the summer - he was injured and didn't play till November but we basically had the same situation with Lavery, who cost a fee.
We will have signed O'Shea instead of him.

Chapman's sooner than expected return from injury has also influenced things, if it wasn't for that I think we might have signed a different sort of attacking player to Hanson - someone like Hall.

Players we sign now have to be good enough to make the step up
So signing players who haven't even set League One alight in many years of trying we shouldn't even be entertaining

We can't get current Championship players so any improvement must come from players whose records show they are without doubt too good to play at lower levels for too much longer

Back
Top Bottom