a good player for the blades in the 70s

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bladestrivia

Reaction score
started following the blades in 76 so a bit harder for me but for me in the 70s ,carnt think of a decent keeper as i thought brown and conroy were nothing special same with defence .up front quite a few to chose from woodward stainrod edwards and sabbela to name a few

Yes playing a 442 formation. Hamson was an excellent young player who worked hard, tackled a lot and created chances. Reece, Hockey and Tudor the subs
Wouldn't quibble with most of that side but I'd have Tom McAlister in goal much as Brown was very reliable. The Marsh incident robbed Tom of developing further as a very good keeper.

Like Bert I'd consider Gilbert as first choice but I did rate Gary Hamson who we sold too early to Leeds. We sold too many of our greats too early in the 60s and 70s. I'm still fuming over Mick Jones's transfer. He'd have fitted very nicely into this side.

Wouldn't quibble with most of that side but I'd have Tom McAlister in goal much as Brown was very reliable. The Marsh incident robbed Tom of developing further as a very good keeper.

Like Bert I'd consider Gilbert as first choice but I did rate Gary Hamson who we sold too early to Leeds. We sold too many of our greats too early in the 60s and 70s. I'm still fuming over Mick Jones's transfer. He'd have fitted very nicely into this side.
Who would you select for your team of the 1960s?

My team for 1970s

Brown
Badger
Hemsley
Powell
Colquhoun
Salmons
Woodward
Edwards
Dearden
Currie
Hamson
1 conroy 2 cutbush 3 garner 4 kenworthy 5 mcphail 6 rioch 7 woodward 8 stainrod 9 edwards 10 sabbela 11 hamson 12 anderson shocking defence i no tried to base it on when i saw them play thats why no badger or colquhoun

M-I
M-I-C
M-I-C-K
Mick Jones!

Who would you select for your team of the 1960s?
A few of the great 70s side joined in the late 60s and they must be included. I started watching in 63 so I may be a bit unfair to people who were coming to the end of their careers ie Doc Pace. I have a dilemma again with Gilbert but he was an especially good player in the early years before he broke his leg and he gets in ahead of Geoff Salmons.

Hodgkinson
Badger
Colquhoun
Joe Shaw
Graham Shaw
Woodward
Richardson
Currie
Reece
Jones
Birchenall

Subs of Doc Pace, Geoff Salmons and Keith Kettleborough would be a strong bench ! Ken Mallender if you wanted a defender on the bench.

I know we couldn't name 3 subs in those days !

My dad always said that Tom McAlister was a very good goalkeeper until that prick Rodney Marsh broke his leg.
My favourite goalie of all time at SUFC and, if you'll excuse my heracy, including the abfab hodgy who never put a foot wrong in my eyes!

My favourite goalie of all time at SUFC and, if you'll excuse my heracy, including the abfab hodgy who never put a foot wrong in my eyes!

What was your opinion of John Hope? Again, going purely on my dads words but he never rated him?

The problem with the 70s is how do you compare players who never played in Div 1 with those that did? I would never have Keith Edwards in a list of United greats as his ability at the highest level was untested, indeed it would appear that no Division 1 manager of the time thought he was good enough to play there

A few of the great 70s side joined in the late 60s and they must be included. I started watching in 63 so I may be a bit unfair to people who were coming to the end of their careers ie Doc Pace. I have a dilemma again with Gilbert but he was an especially good player in the early years before he broke his leg and he gets in ahead of Geoff Salmons.

Hodgkinson
Badger
Colquhoun
Joe Shaw
Graham Shaw
Woodward
Richardson
Currie
Reece
Jones
Birchenall

Subs of Doc Pace, Geoff Salmons and Keith Kettleborough would be a strong bench ! Ken Mallender if you wanted a defender on the bench.

Can't leave Salmons out I was gutted when he went

Hodgkinson
Badger
Colquhoun
Joe Shaw
Graham Shaw
Woodward
Richardson
Currie
Reece
Jones
Birchenall

Hodgy
Badger
Graham Shaw
Richardson
Joe Shaw
Summers
Woody
TC
Mick Jones
Doc Pace
Birchenall

Some of these were before my time ( I saw Mick Jones score against Man City in my first ever home game in 67) .

Cheers. No Carlin?

What was your opinion of John Hope? Again, going purely on my dads words but he never rated him?
Excellent in 1971 (apart from League Cup at West Ham) as we needed a keeper who could come out and catch crosses. Seven successive clean sheets in March and April. Twice he was called up to the England u23s squad. Lost his confidence from the Arsenal defeat in Jan 1972. Got dropped from the team in April and then suffered a serious knee injury in a reserves match which ruled him out of returning to play for a long time. Returned to the 1st team in January 1974 after Furphy had lost patience with Connaughton and then we signed Jim Brown in mid March -

Back
Top Bottom