Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Chopper bikes perhaps looked better than they actually were, but boy they looked good! I had a Raleigh Grifter when I was a kid, but christ it was a heavy beast to lug up and down our our steps, many grazed shins ensued!
Problem with Chopper bikes was that because of the Evel Kenievel craze we did a lot of ramp jumps and the gearstick got you in the knackers when it went wrong.

You are right LSF
My first site as an apprentice was on No 12 gate Firth Browns working for Bradburys 1972
Was the Carwood Tetleys?
Two great boozers must have made a fortune always packed

My auntie owned the Corner Pin in the 60's. Made enough to emigrate to Australia in 1966.

Same year as mine ,LCN 702K weird how you always remember your first registration and phone number ,or is that just me ?
No mate
KUA 341L
Gold Vauxhall Viva 1.3L with (as I used to call it at the time) the "opportunity knocks scoreboard" speedo

Forum royalty, bend the knee...

In actual fact Bert has been ill all week, however he fully intends to arise from his sick bed make the 100 mile round trip and take up his position on the Bramall Lane Corner tomorrow.

Can you remember the Alexander on Carlisle St there was some proper drinkers in there
Furnace men always had a thirst
Yes mate, remember the Alex well. As an apprentice at Firth Browns you went into all the departments as part of your training, hence becoming familiar with all the pub's dotted around the firm.
Heavy Mill was Alex territory, Pin and Carwood, Central Maintenance and tyre mill territory, Nelson on Norroy Street, apprentice training school and melting shop area, Albert and Plumpers, Norfolk Bar Mill territory. There were others too, Crown on Harleston Street, a tiny Ward's boozer which I often sneaked into from up no.8 gate for a quick shandy during hot summers. It was a village within a city was Firth Browns, the likes of which are gone forever from British industry....

Was that the old Kennings showroom at the end of Shoreham Street? At one time, Kennings had a place in the Cavendish Buildings on West Street and cars gained access to the first floor via a ramp on Mappin Street. West Street has some fine architecture with great detailing, such as the 'broken swan's neck pediments' on Cavendish Building:
cavendishblg3.jpg

Boots Corner:
bootscorner2.jpg

...and Somme Barracks (where my old man signed up in 1938):

sommebarracks.jpg

Yes mate, remember the Alex well. As an apprentice at Firth Browns you went into all the departments as part of your training, hence becoming familiar with all the pub's dotted around the firm.
Heavy Mill was Alex territory, Pin and Carwood, Central Maintenance and tyre mill territory, Nelson on Norroy Street, apprentice training school and melting shop area, Albert and Plumpers, Norfolk Bar Mill territory. There were others too, Crown on Harleston Street, a tiny Ward's boozer which I often sneaked into from up no.8 gate for a quick shandy during hot summers. It was a village within a city was Firth Browns, the likes of which are gone forever from British industry....
It might have been a "dirty old town" in those days but there was a great vibe about the town then great comradely.

Was that the old Kennings showroom at the end of Shoreham Street? At one time, Kennings had a place in the Cavendish Buildings on West Street and cars gained access to the first floor via a ramp on Mappin Street. West Street has some fine architecture with great detailing, such as the 'broken swan's neck pediments' on Cavendish Building:
View attachment 22365

Boots Corner:
View attachment 22366

...and Somme Barracks (where my old man signed up in 1938):

View attachment 22367

Yes, Graf, end of Shoreham Street. Kennings was on one side and the old Leadmill Bus/Tram depot is on the right. I think silverfox might have worked for Kennings at some point. He remembers the move from horse to car :)

post-822-1224419749.jpg

With the tower blocks in Leeds giving big problems with the wind what was it like around the tower blocks in Sheffield?

Not really sure Grumps. I had a friend lived in a flat on Claywood and when I visited the wind always seemed to be howling around the balcony and that flat was only about 6 floors up.

Brilliant to see this post. My dad worked at Barrow Hill engine sheds from the day before his 14th birthday till the day he was made redundant in his late 50s. His hands were always etched with oil and he had a mangled finger from a confrontation with a loco, but that was nowt. His friend Ken lost a leg through being run over by one.

Dad had just left school and was walking to Staveley Works to ask for a job, but passed Barrow Hill on the way so thought he might as well stop and enquire. His first job was standing in a pit greasing the wheels of the engines above his head. The
re was another lad on an apprenticeship who only got half as much pay, so he and my dad swapped jobs and my dad became an apprentice fitter. Last time he saw the other lad his father was chasing him down the road to give him some fist.

Bit different but similar. My Auntie Hilda who is 96 and unfortunately hasn't much time left told me of how she got her job. She left school at 14. Living round the corner from Firth Brown's she walked into the reception and asked for a job. A manager came to see her and said, office or shopfloor. We'll I can add up, in fact I was the best in school. Get here for 8 o'clock tomorrow then and you can have an office job then. At 20 she had her own office and forty women under her supervision.

Old photo for no reason other than it's very near to me. The opening of the pub 'Mooro's' here in Stratford. It is now the Black Bull as it was before Bobby Moore took it over. It had a fire just before Bobby Moore ended his ownership of it.

1047427_moore_229155c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom