This is an excellent read...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The difference between us and the deluded porkers is that (apart from the derby) we know who our natural rivals are. Forest, Ipswich, Wolves, Derby and West Ham etc. While Wendy's still think they're in the Tottenham, Everton, Newcastle category.

The difference between us and the deluded porkers is that (apart from the derby) we know who our natural rivals are. Forest, Ipswich, Wolves, Derby and West Ham etc. While Wendy's still think they're in the Tottenham, Everton, Newcastle category.

Really? I have never considered Ipswich,Wolves,Derby or Spam as rivals. More like shit from far away places.

I miss Des walker og ,Oh my god oh my god.

Those and:

3-2 to kick off the great escape
5-2 Gannon and Zico lake's screamers.
2-0 to relegate them - One Brian Clough

As PokerBlade and BushBlade say above, as much as the deluded twats do my head in (definitely the pigs of the East Midlands) I don't half miss playing them.

Those and:

3-2 to kick off the great escape
5-2 Gannon and Zico lake's screamers.
2-0 to relegate them - One Brian Clough

As PokerBlade and BushBlade say above, as much as the deluded twats do my head in (definitely the pigs of the East Midlands) I don't half miss playing them.
As much as I agree with and like most of your post BP, the comment 'Pigs of the East Midlands' would only be apt in a deluded Porker's wildest wet dreams.

These lads (under a superb manager) have won a league title and 2 European Cups in fairly recent times. Their success was genuine and commendable, not a shitty little Mickey Mouse trophy like the Pigs have fed on for over 2 decades to demonstrate their 'massiveness'. ;)

As much as I agree with and like most of your post BP, the comment 'Pigs of the East Midlands' would only be apt in a deluded Porker's wildest wet dreams.

These lads (under a superb manager) have won a league title and 2 European Cups in fairly recent times. Their success was genuine and commendable, not a shitty little Mickey Mouse trophy like the Pigs have fed on for over 2 decades to demonstrate their 'massiveness'. ;)

I do get that.

My point is though more in terms of the way they see themselves as the heavyweights of the East Midlands (despite averaging far less than Derby or even the Rubgy Union city in terms of crowds) and the way a lot of their fans really belittle and patronise the smaller clubs around them. Whereas a lot of Derby fans, for example, will have a soft spot for Burton or Ches Vegas.

Maybe it was their late 70's success that gives them a sense of entitlement - and indeed it eclipses anything the pigs have done - but close to a majority of their fans are too young to remember it and Derby had two league titles back then in similar unvelievable circumstances, but you never hear their fans bleating on about it.

Therefore, in terms of attitude to other teams around them and delusions of grandeur, I think it's a fair comparison Gray.

I don't care about Wham. The couple of fans I know make a much bigger deal of it than I ever have, as if they still have some point to prove. Much as I think we were cheated, it's hard to feel any sense of rivalry over something that happened in a backroom meeting between whichever shady businessmen drafted some contracts. Maybe if we'd played them shortly after it all happened there would've been some bite to it. We haven't had any real drama in a game against them (aside from winning as underdogs in a game a few years after the fact).

Not in the way I can still feel the sickness before Brown brought us level away in the play-offs. Not like I can still remember the best I've ever felt in a match when Pesch wrong-footed their entire defence. All I think of with Wham is how much we all hate the corporate swindling of modern football.

My first game that I remember at Mordor was as an invitee of a mate of mine in my early teens. (this was around the time of the 5-4 Whitham game with MUFC). I recollect being stood with my mate on their kop and being "bricked" from behind by Florist fans. I was awfully impressed by that in my washed and faded Lee jeans. Since then I have had a soft spot for them as I spent a year or two being educated in Nottingham and watched Sabella against them as he stood mystified at the level he had sunk to. They had real beer in Nottingham in them days as well. However, I acted for a Florist fan maybe 5 years ago and was stunned by his unwarranted contempt for us. What did we do wrong to them?

Agree a good read, I feel for the guy.
We can have empathy with most of what he said.
The one thing that's stands out for me though is when he says about players getting injured. Is it my imagination or is that not a 'option' for our players now, genuine ones aside.

I don't care about Wham. The couple of fans I know make a much bigger deal of it than I ever have, as if they still have some point to prove. Much as I think we were cheated, it's hard to feel any sense of rivalry over something that happened in a backroom meeting between whichever shady businessmen drafted some contracts. Maybe if we'd played them shortly after it all happened there would've been some bite to it. We haven't had any real drama in a game against them (aside from winning as underdogs in a game a few years after the fact).

Not in the way I can still feel the sickness before Brown brought us level away in the play-offs. Not like I can still remember the best I've ever felt in a match when Pesch wrong-footed their entire defence. All I think of with Wham is how much we all hate the corporate swindling of modern football.

West Ham certainly aren't rivals. They're just pretty contemptible. :)

Two pages and no-one's mentioned 'scabs' yet :eek::D

You do miss playing teams like Forest though. Just like you do Wolves, Derby, even Leeds ffs. Can't wait to get out of this shitty division!

Two pages and no-one's mentioned 'scabs' yet :eek::D

You do miss playing teams like Forest though. Just like you do Wolves, Derby, even Leeds ffs. Can't wait to get out of this shitty division!

I call them Scabs all the time, I've just avoided using the term on here because it would end up in a debate that would go way off-topic.

It's a great article ( whatever your feelings towards forest )
Really resonates with me as a Blade and what we've been through and highlights ( hopefully ) the differences that may mean we've turned the corner and left all that behind

Twice European Cup Winners = Deluded? Really?

Yep, deluded beyond reason, only topped by our near neighbours.

I do not, in any way, underestimate what they achieved for a few seasons way back then, when they had the best managerial partnership who ever presided over a football club at the peak of their powers.
Make no mistake, that team was my favourite none Blades team of all time.

Their delusion stems from the fact they couldn't build on it (they let BC stay past his sell by date for which I place no blame at all) because they simply didn't have the infrastructure and, more importantly back then, fan base to carry it on. They think they're a big club but, Clough aside, they have never been and will never be such. If they accepted that I would just remember them fondly for sticking it to Liverpool when the scousers were almost invincible but I'm afraid they have no self awareness at all.

I'm glad Forest are struggling, can't be doing with them. Although I do miss playing them, mainly due to our very decent record against them in recent years.

Their situation does show a couple of things. First, if you are going to be an owner you can't begrudge investing (and most likely losing) money in a club. Just because you took on a vanity project, don't expect fans to blindly follow and throw money over the turnstiles, especially if the team are still crap. If you run a club, you can perhaps get away with operating at break even, so long as you aren't taking money out of the club for doing so. But you'll get moans to invest, and if the team aren't good then fans won't show up. Unless you are SUFC, where - in the nicest possible way - we're all too fucking stupid to walk away.

Second, if you do invest and lose money due to shit decisions, too bad. If you don't have experts in the field to help then the chances are you'll be taken for a mug in a profession full of shysters. This is where our own Mr McCabe has suffered. No doubt he has lost millions upon millions in recent years, but he made the decisions that forged where we are. Hopefully, he's now made a call to reverse the trend, but what has gone has gone, and recouping monies based on your own bad decisions is not going to happen.

Once saw Forest described on another forum as the Sheffield Wednesday of the East Midlands which about sums them up. Think they are a massive club, hate us and always harping on about past glorys (although to be fair in their case unlike the pigs the past glorys actually happened).

It's always a bit "aggy" when we play Forest. They dislike us, we dislike them.
247D64FD00000578-0-image-m-125_1420679637297.jpg

Really? I have never considered Ipswich,Wolves,Derby or Spam as rivals. More like shit from far away places.
You know what I mean. With maybe the exception of Spam. There are a number of clubs out there we can measure ourselves against, with regard to size and tradition. But we know where we sit inside the football pyramid. Unlike the "Massive" who seem to think Premier league is waiting with baited breath, for their imminent return. . . . . Now is that deluded.

You know what I mean. With maybe the exception of Spam. There are a number of clubs out there we can measure ourselves against, with regard to size and tradition. But we know where we sit inside the football pyramid. Unlike the "Massive" who seem to think Premier league is waiting with baited breath, for their imminent return. . . . . Now is that deluded.

No,it's not deluded at all. Just seems pointless.

What gives a someone a 'right' to be arrogant about their clubs? Notts Forest, Wednesday, Leeds... Not won anything in living memory. If you're under the age of about 25 and you've never seen your team do anything of any significance, yet still fall back on achievements from 40 years ago, then what is life?

What gives a someone a 'right' to be arrogant about their clubs? Notts Forest, Wednesday, Leeds... Not won anything in living memory. If you're under the age of about 25 and you've never seen your team do anything of any significance, yet still fall back on achievements from 40 years ago, then what is life?

Yet they've all won more than we have. Apart from the pigs,quite a lot more. Funnily enough mate ,football didn't start 25 years ago.

Yet they've all won more than we have. Apart from the pigs,quite a lot more. Funnily enough mate ,football didn't start 25 years ago.

I don't know, it was an example, just relative to different people. You notice different attitudes and perceptions from different aged people.

Wasn't comparing us to them, just a general thought.

Forest = Wendy = deluded fuckers.

UTB

No. In spite of all that they did actually win 2 European Cups. A man of your age and understanding should at least see that. The gulf between them and the pork is huge. Unbridgeable. They were huge once and like a crumbling monolith I at least understand why they think as they do.

Nothing wrong in disliking Florist but anyone disrespecting their achievements is clueless about football. What they did under Clough is like Leicester winning the league. Check. Then winning the Champions League this season. And next season.

See I said it before, you get it.

No. In spite of all that they did actually win 2 European Cups. A man of your age and understanding should at least see that. The gulf between them and the pork is huge. Unbridgeable. They were huge once and like a crumbling monolith I at least understand why they think as they do.
The point is that the achievement was massive, in spite of their stature. That's the point lost on many Forest fans. There's nothing wrong with them being proud of their achievements, it's the feeling, by many, that's it's almost where they should be at that's deluded.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom