John Gannon

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

09780f4e39b6269096b3bff00e13a995.jpg

Now that's more like it. Free agent ?

Gerimsignedup !

UTB

He was part of one of our best teams in recent history. Players like Gayle and Beesley that got dogs abuse at times but were like lions when it was needed.

What wouldnt we give to be in that positiin now? Didnt we finish 9th in Division One in our second season back there? Fucking legends to a one in my book.

Yep finished 9th and had a brilliant 2nd half of the season.

Gannon was a bit schizophrenic as a player
some days he would go backwards , get caught in possession look tortoise like speed wise
but
on a good day he was solid assured could pass with accuracy and drive the team on
his performance and goal in our 5-2 win at Forest has few peers
he could win us games
but some days looked like someone had forgot to plug his charger in

overall he did his bit in keeping us in the prem, so deserves a bit of credit
our best run of goal scoring in the prem when Lake was on form too was one of the best periods watching the blades

Unfortunately that era was 91/92 which is pre premier league so isn't recognised in football.

Much like our 'great escape' of 90/91 is mentioned by Sky when they are saying 'teams bottom at Christmas don't stay up"

Unfortunately that era was 91/92 which is pre premier league so isn't recognised in football.

Much like our 'great escape' of 90/91 is mentioned by Sky when they are saying 'teams bottom at Christmas don't stay up"
so its confirmed wednesdays league cup win never happened

One of the best dead ball takers that we've had yet rarely shot at goal. The lads behind me on the Kop used to hate him, their favourite put down shout being 'shoot Gannon'.

Lack of aggression? First thing he did in a Blades shirt was elbow a Blackpool player!

Here's one that should divide opinion..........

I've been inspired to start this one by the threads about Scougs and Coutts.

I actually used to like Gannon and could never understand the dogs abuse he got from our fans.

I worked a lot of Saturdays back then so probably got to about a dozen games a season but he always looked decent to me, probably one of the better ball players we had and if I'm not mistaken, got quite a number of assists, especially as he was a regular corner taker. Even when I've watched some of the old footage of our goals back then, he seems to play quite a number of the final balls.

I can only imagine it was his lack of aggression that got him stick. He wasn't a ball winner or a great tackler but when you're playing next to Vinnie Jones and the rest of our 'enforcers' at the time, you don't need to be, do you?

Unless it was the dodgy perm?

Remember him well and thought he made a very good contribution to the team. Very good passer of the ball and knitted play together between defence and attack.

But was a whipping boy (like Coutts or Quinny for example) because he couldn't do all the midfield jobs in one. As I said on my other thread re Coutts - an aggressive ball winner he wasn't - but why did he need to be with Vinnie Jones alongside him?

Some fans just don't get it do they? It's about having the right blend of different attributes to make a successful team. It's not about having one player who can be creative/aggressive/goal scorer/ tackler etc all in one. Most can't.

I think John Gannon's biggest crime, according to fans at the time, was not being Mark Todd but if you watch the Harrys Game video, you'll lose count of the number of goals that came from a killer ball from Gannon.

2 other moments of note

1.) The first goal v the pigs in 91 after their Keystone Cops collision. Gannon sent Bryson through with a defence splitter

2.) The aforementioned ball to Bobby Davison in the return fixture

Also worth mentioning his red card at Roker Park after a scrap with Kevin Ball.

Could never understand the stick Gannon got from fans. He gave us great service. I remember a night match late 1989 and a big cheer went up when Gannon went down injured, causing Bassett to go (justifiably) apeshit in the following night's Star.

John Gannon was a class player - His dead ball deliveries from both corners and free kicks were superb and whilst not a 'fans favourite' he was one of the first names on Harry's team sheet - If only we had a John Gannon now getting out of the third division would be much easier !

Could never understand the stick Gannon got from fans. He gave us great service. I remember a night match late 1989 and a big cheer went up when Gannon went down injured, causing Bassett to go (justifiably) apeshit in the following night's Star.
The 2-1 win against Oldham in Sept 1989. He was dropped for the 0-0 home game against Hull and he was sat a few rows in front of me in the South Stand watching the match. Bassett said he regretted dropping him and brought him back in the team after that

Remember him well and thought he made a very good contribution to the team. Very good passer of the ball and knitted play together between defence and attack.

But was a whipping boy (like Coutts or Quinny for example) because he couldn't do all the midfield jobs in one. As I said on my other thread re Coutts - an aggressive ball winner he wasn't - but why did he need to be with Vinnie Jones alongside him?

Some fans just don't get it do they? It's about having the right blend of different attributes to make a successful team. It's not about having one player who can be creative/aggressive/goal scorer/ tackler etc all in one. Most can't.

Trouble was Vinnie Jones was only there for one season out of seven.

Gannon scored a belter v Bradford. Their keeper punched a corner to the edge of the box, Gannon cool as you like chested it down and lobbed it back over his head in the blink of an eye. I can only think of Glynn Hodges who would have been able to do something similar. Great player.

Appreciated by his team mates & manager. The sort of player that know nowts like Pinchy (apparently played in local leagues for about 70 years, learned nothing) hates, but every team needs a Gannon. Not dissimilar to Basham. good player.

Does anyone remember John Gannon being on the cover of 90 Minutes magazine, in about 1992? That was down to me! I was studying journalism and doing a two-week placement at 90 Minutes. They decided it was United's turn to have a player on the cover, and because they knew I was a Blade, asked me who they should put on. Simon Tracey, I said. No, we had a goalie last week, they said. John Gannon was the next name that popped into my head. And a week later, there he was, gracing the newsstands.

Back
Top Bottom