John Gannon

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

coaxingstar71

First 10 yards are in the head
Reaction score
Here's one that should divide opinion..........

I've been inspired to start this one by the threads about Scougs and Coutts.

I actually used to like Gannon and could never understand the dogs abuse he got from our fans.

I worked a lot of Saturdays back then so probably got to about a dozen games a season but he always looked decent to me, probably one of the better ball players we had and if I'm not mistaken, got quite a number of assists, especially as he was a regular corner taker. Even when I've watched some of the old footage of our goals back then, he seems to play quite a number of the final balls.

I can only imagine it was his lack of aggression that got him stick. He wasn't a ball winner or a great tackler but when you're playing next to Vinnie Jones and the rest of our 'enforcers' at the time, you don't need to be, do you?

Unless it was the dodgy perm?

Yet another unsung hero like Booker and Monty and to a lesser extent Doyle. People think they know what`s needed in a football team when clearly they don`t when they don`t recognise the value of the unselfish,unstinting,largely invisible off the ball work done by the likes of the aforementioned.

I liked him. I have two really good memories of him. One was away at Wolves late 80's to mid 90's when Wolves ground was a complete mess and he was playing. Great chants from Wolves about "where's your caravan" and I had just come back from the "bar" with a pie and some coke (a drink) when we scored. I went up with the rest but the drink and pie came down elsewhere most of it down and between the back of my mates Blades shirt and his neck and back. I just remember him from that game playing really well. He was one of them that either had the time and space and looked the part or got closed down and bullied out of it.

He also presented me with one of the only things I have ever won either at the Platinum Suite or the old hotel up Meadowhead when he presented the awards for the Wraggs over 35 league. I'm old, I can't remember everything accurately.

I always thought he was underrated. Always got through a lot of work.
Didn't he score with virtually his first touch for us?

Here's one that should divide opinion..........

I've been inspired to start this one by the threads about Scougs and Coutts.

I actually used to like Gannon and could never understand the dogs abuse he got from our fans.

I worked a lot of Saturdays back then so probably got to about a dozen games a season but he always looked decent to me, probably one of the better ball players we had and if I'm not mistaken, got quite a number of assists, especially as he was a regular corner taker. Even when I've watched some of the old footage of our goals back then, he seems to play quite a number of the final balls.

I can only imagine it was his lack of aggression that got him stick. He wasn't a ball winner or a great tackler but when you're playing next to Vinnie Jones and the rest of our 'enforcers' at the time, you don't need to be, do you?

Unless it was the dodgy perm?
Good post, and good comparison.

In the wrong team, he was a passenger. Surrounded by enough players who'll pick up the slack, his attributes were useful.

Similarities with Coutts, yes.

UTB

Improved as a player as we moved up through the leagues, he was more than an unsung hero as was Booker. Crucial cog in the team and could control a game from the defensive midfield role. I remember us beating Spurs 2-0 and one of the rags describing him as world class followed by a MOM 10/10 award. Didn't see too many of them.

If the internet had been around then as it is now i reckon Gannon would have divided opinion on here. Not many players have the full set of skills and workrate. Gannon ,to me was busy and linked up well with the full backs and wingers but was scared of a tackle but overall, he fitted in with a bunch of lads who all complemented each other. Not many stars but all contributing to make a very good team.

...it was the hair mostly....dunno what it is with Blades and hair...but get the wrong crop and you're out!

Just look at McNulty... :eek:

I recorded the RS commentary on tape that night, and i still remember Bob Jackson's comments for that goal :)

"A lovely, LOVELY pass by John Gannon"
Best game I've ever attended by far.
50 hardcore sat in the middle of the cantilever surrounded by blue and white
Brilliant

Good post, and good comparison.

In the wrong team, he was a passenger. Surrounded by enough players who'll pick up the slack, his attributes were useful.

Similarities with Coutts, yes.

UTB

Shall I put you down for 2 tickets at this year's Paul Coutts Appreciation Society AGM?

:)

He was part of one of our best teams in recent history. Players like Gayle and Beesley that got dogs abuse at times but were like lions when it was needed.

What wouldnt we give to be in that positiin now? Didnt we finish 9th in Division One in our second season back there? Fucking legends to a one in my book.

Didn't John Gannon get a massive shiner once from a fight in the big tree over his (very beautiful) Mrs?

Was perhaps the slowest player I have ever seen on a football pitch. Woefully so.
EDIT just remembered Hammond !!

Had a GPS for a left peg to compensate. Alongside the likes of Paul Rogers, who could have run marathons, Bassett knew how to create a balanced midfield that "worked".

It's my humble opinion that Tufty has taken influence from this philosophy. The parallels with Basham and Coutts, with Fleck also in the mix are very very clear as I see it.

Unless you have a spare £80m for a Pogba, we will not be shopping at the top table and buying complete footballers with all the required attributes. They are all taken by the bigger clubs with (much) deeper pockets.

UTB

Best game I've ever attended by far.
50 hardcore sat in the middle of the cantilever surrounded by blue and white
Brilliant
Of which I was one, though there were a lot more than 50 overall.

I was with 3 other lads and we went wild after every goal. I hated them that much back then that I wanted them to start some trouble with us. Not big or clever, I know. :)

UTB

PS pipped only by Leicester away.

I was with 3 other lads and we went wild after every goal. I hated them that much back then that I wanted them to start some trouble with us. Not big or clever, I know. :)

UTB

Was in their North Stand that wonderful eve. Went up by instinct when Whitehouse scored and thought i was going to die, then the stand went mental with Blades all around.

What a night.

I liked John Gannon - lovely hair and nice eyes - also a decent player - another unsung midfielder in our list of many

UTB

Leicester was close.
Fuck it equal

He was slow and lacked aggression
Shocker.

Silent in "lacked aggression" criticism of ex player !!

Revert to type ??

UTB

PS. Don't know if you've realised Silent, but the days of booting a player into row Z disappeared some time ago, due to manby pamby rules on protecting players bones !
Maybe bare knuckle fights might get you your fix instead ;)

Maybe bare knuckle fights might get you your fix instead ;)

09780f4e39b6269096b3bff00e13a995.jpg

Gannon was a bit schizophrenic as a player
some days he would go backwards , get caught in possession look tortoise like speed wise
but
on a good day he was solid assured could pass with accuracy and drive the team on
his performance and goal in our 5-2 win at Forest has few peers
he could win us games
but some days looked like someone had forgot to plug his charger in

overall he did his bit in keeping us in the prem, so deserves a bit of credit
our best run of goal scoring in the prem when Lake was on form too was one of the best periods watching the blades

Back
Top Bottom