Sunday drink

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

My main criticism of Sharp is how ugly that Porsche is, if you're buying a £100k car at least buy something nice.

Just doesn't look right does it Danny, a bit like these £30'000 diamond encrusted watches you hear about. All fur coat and no knickers.

How to piss off 90% of the fans. Sell Billy.
It's not going well for Wilder but doing this could well be a huge nail in his coffin.
If he is sold, then he will be replaced with an inferior, or not at all.

Been saying it all summer but I’ll say it again. John Akinde. Big, strong, quick and has been scoring for fun for a couple of seasons and scored another decent goal at the weekend.

If Billy was to leave and replaced by Akinde, I think that would suit our style much more.

Why the fook did Wilder make Billy captain to now be considering selling him? Has Clarke coming in upset the apple cart? Something appears to be very off behind the scenes, as fooking usual.

Billy’s captaincy has served it’s purpose of selling season tickets. No need for it any more.

When Wilder came in the one thing he didn't need to worry about was the forwards.

We had Sharp (21 goals) Adams (11 goals) Done (4 goals, but in an interrupted season) and McNulty (plenty of goals in league 2).

So far he has sold Adams, played Done in a position he can't play, hardly used McNulty, and signed another goalscorer who (a) can't play with Sharp and (b) almost single handedly knocked us out of the League cup with his misses.

I know McNulty is the black sheep of the family and I've resigned to him being sold, and I was resigned to the sale of Adams(because McCabe) but selling our top scorer from last season and Done smacks of monumental stupidity.

Sharp is our highest wage earner for a reason. He's our best player. Are we going to keep selling our highest wage earner, whoever that is.

Wilder needs to focus on what is broken - the defence and most importantly the midfield - and do something about fixing them, rather than dealing with problems that do not exist, or which would not exist if we had a couple of midfielders who could pass or, god forbid, actual wingers who can cross a ball.

If Wilder sells Sharp he last lost my support. I will also start to question his sanity, yet alone his fitness for the job.

Thing is though, we don’t know the extent to which Wilder has to move on high earners to generate a kitty to try to fix the other problems. Wilder said the Brayford decision was because it was the best thing financially for the club. That to me suggests he’s wheeling and dealing to try to bring players in. Having sold Adams, you would really hope that wouldn’t be the case but it appears that it may well be.

Or perhaps Wilder thinks that if he can get the club to break even, he might be given more time if/when he fails to deliver promotion in his first season?

And when we are relegated with a top scorer putting about seven in, ignorant stuff like this is going to look hilarious.

I see that now Sharp is overrated and rubbish. Apparently we'd have been fine without him last season. Someone else would have got those goals. Probably Connor Fucking Salmon.

3 players with 20+ goals in 25 years and you can't wait to get rid of them. Same with Beattie.

I'm stepping away for a while. The lunatics have taken over the asylum.

I don’t think Billy is overrated or rubbish. I think he’s a very useful player if played in the right way. But, being a striker who is neither big nor fast, the number of systems in which he is effective are very limited. This is one of the reasons I was against the Adkins sacking. It was almost nailed on Billy would regress without his favourite manager. Just like Brayford. Just another side-effect of the annual end of season knee-jerkfest.

As you mention, KM allowed Hammond, Sammon (and fucking Higdon) to come in on fat salaries. And they weren't Blades, just useless pricks lining their pockets at the end of average careers. We had ample chance to see their talents. The suggestion that Done would have 'got 20 if he's played the games Sharp had..' is beyond laughable. Prior to this season, Done's career over 11 years has seen him play 311 matches and score 31 - one goal per ten games. Or was he just 'played out of position' by his previous six clubs?

He’s only played one season of his career as a striker. How many did he score that year?

Not saying he would be the answer by the way, just that your stat of a career played at LM/LB is meaningless.

So what was Jake Wright from Oxford ?

A small, ageing, injury prone, league 2 centre half deemed surplus to requirements at the club just promoted from that league as they singed one of the best young players from that level (Curtis Nelson) to replace him.

100% this.

Will, without a shadow of doubt, turn out the same way as swapping Hulse for Hendo I.e with hindsight, terribly !

UTB

Ps Hendo got us relegated. Careful what you wish for.

Only in the sense that he missed the season through injury. Scored about 17 the season before. Think he also finished top scorer when we finished 3rd and missed out in the PO final. Think he also scored around 17 for Forest the season after we got relegated.

Hulse was fucked by injury and I don’t think he’s ever scored more than about 10 since leaving us.

It is beyond me why Clarke and Sharp can't play as a pair or any two random big /small striker combination come to that.
If Sharp isn't getting on Clarkes flick ons, then Clarke needs to tell him to get closer and where he's going to put it? Surely they can communicate FFS?

Although having seen Clarkes introductory interview on Bladesplayer, perhaps therein lies the problem :confused:

I think it’s about attributes and each players’ preferred role in the team. Neither has great pace. Billy doesn’t thrive on flick ons. He thrives on through balls, cut backs in the box, give and gos etc. Both want to be the main goallscorer. Neither is a natural foil for the other. Neither is a selfless player. That’s why I said at the time I would have preferred COG to Clarke. Even though he is less prolific, he brings more to the team (runs the channels, plays with his back to goal etc.) and Sharp might have scored a hatful playing with him.

Andrew Davies (Ross County)
granted permission to leave if a club came in.
Family can't settle in Dingwall.

Though i'm not too sure to be honest, as it's been mentioned more than once since Wilder took charge.

Hope this isn’t true. He’s bobbar.

Been saying it all summer but I’ll say it again. John Akinde. Big, strong, quick and has been scoring for fun for a couple of seasons and scored another decent goal at the weekend.

If Billy was to leave and replaced by Akinde, I think that would suit our style much more.

A goal every 16 apperances(48) in this division and thats not even a typo. Seemed to move around alot before barnet so maybe hes settlted there, uprooting and moving up a division might be a bt too much for him.

A goal every 16 apperances(48) in this division and thats not even a typo. Seemed to move around alot before barnet so maybe hes settlted there, uprooting and moving up a division might be a bt too much for him.

Possibly, no guarantees in football but he has the physical attributes to be a very good striker.

He’s only played one season of his career as a striker. How many did he score that year?

Not saying he would be the answer by the way, just that your stat of a career played at LM/LB is meaningless.

I appreciate your point, but isn't this all about what somebody else could score if played in Billy's position? The only certainty is that Sharp has scored those goals, so thinking that 'X' might score - given the chance - is merely supposition? Billy is our MVP and I can't believe that some are making out that he's the problem in this obviously under-performing team.

My lass is doing a management course and was actually given a case study on United and our poor management.. and this is in New Zealand where they don't even know what football is!
You should send the output from that to McCabe. He might learn something.

You should send the output from that to McCabe. He might learn something.
Wouldn't give to much credence to any supposed qualification.
studying the most atypical 'business' on the planet.
(Football not SUFC - although the combination is a bit scary):(

Interesting.....

Matty Taylor only on the bench for Bristol Rovers' game at Chelsea tonight.

Very surprising.

Significant?

I think it’s about attributes and each players’ preferred role in the team. Neither has great pace. Billy doesn’t thrive on flick ons. He thrives on through balls, cut backs in the box, give and gos etc. Both want to be the main goallscorer. Neither is a natural foil for the other. Neither is a selfless player. That’s why I said at the time I would have preferred COG to Clarke. Even though he is less prolific, he brings more to the team (runs the channels, plays with his back to goal etc.) and Sharp might have scored a hatful playing with him.

I think Billy Sharp had his most prolific season playing alongside Andy Keogh at Scunthorpe who was of similar stature to himself. I agree that he lacks the pace to play off a big man, but that begs the question, why did we buy Clarke in the first place?

My main criticism of Sharp is how ugly that Porsche is, if you're buying a £100k car at least buy something nice.

It's a well known fact that money cannot buy you taste or class . It's like wearing a big black fuck off watch .

Sometimes less is more , but if Billy can get his mojo back and score , make goals , he looks great in his hairdressers sports car.

If Patek Philippe could score goals :D

I think Billy Sharp had his most prolific season playing alongside Andy Keogh at Scunthorpe who was of similar stature to himself. I agree that he lacks the pace to play off a big man, but that begs the question, why did we buy Clarke in the first place?

Quite. If #LumpItAtLeon is the future, I'm not that convinced any of our forward options are particularly well-suited to playing that. Clarke himself for example. Here's hoping the team have just not been playing to the style Wilder wants...

As for Sharp, people seemed over-eager to ditch him around November last year during the penalty miss moments. As one or two predicted at the time, a goal to lift him from that tough spell was enough to trigger a return to form. He's one of the few people left in our squad that has talent that puts him above most in this league.

Ironically, if Sharp had never returned last year, you can guarantee that there would have been a bunch of calls yet again to sign him. Probably not Morsy levels, but then who can really compare to a midfielder that may or may not be completely unsuited to our bypass-midfield approach at present. We have a particularly fickle number of fans.

I don’t think Billy is overrated or rubbish. I think he’s a very useful player if played in the right way. But, being a striker who is neither big nor fast, the number of systems in which he is effective are very limited. This is one of the reasons I was against the Adkins sacking. It was almost nailed on Billy would regress without his favourite manager. Just like Brayford. Just another side-effect of the annual end of season knee-jerkfest.

Very good point re Sharp and also the reason why, despite scoring a hatful of goals, he has had so many moves in his career.

My lass is doing a management course and was actually given a case study on United and our poor management.. and this is in New Zealand where they don't even know what football is!

Any chance you could post it on here? I'd love to see it , but I think I'd love some of the responses to it on here a bit more.

100k car.....don't mind the Panamera to be honest. It has space for the kids. And unlike a Range Rover are not ten a penny.
Millionaire Footballers eh....paid a fortune and have shit loads of time to themselves. What else to do but spend their cash on classless luxury goods to make them stand out from the crowd as being rich.

For every Diamond encrusted gold Rolex....there's a Patek Phillipe or a Panerai which is a little more understated.
For every Ferrari Scaglietti there's a Panamera.
Louis Vuitton...Burberry etc etc etc......

So long as a Billy likes the car I couldn't give a shit. Though I agree that I don't like players turning up in such cars when they have just been outplayed by a lad for Southend who drives a Mondeo as a family car.

If I were in charge I would request a bit more respect for the average guys paying good money to watch them. We don't need their fortune shoving in our faces, we know they are wealthy guys. You turn up in a car provided by the club, a sponsored car, and everyone has the same. Something ressonable....VW Golf.
You arrive in a suit....again provided by the club. Everyone wears the same.
Anyone arriving in headphones....fined. Anyone arrives with flash watches and bling....fined.
If you are spending more time thinking about your hair, your choice of coloured boot, your tan, competing with a team mate for best .....you aren't spending enough time thinking about football. Fined.

These guys have enough time away from the club to do that shit. Back to basics, back to the football. Don't care if it's old fashioned, I know it's not the Army but it may well be a lack of discipline that's the issue with the club.

I've attached the question on to this. Its actually a practice question my Mrs was using to study with from 2011, so not as recent as I thought. An interesting read nontheless. I'll have to ask her if she still has her notes on it!

Attachments

• 2011_1_MGMT206.pdf
    382.3 KB · Views: 107

Back
Top Bottom