Sheffield United 1985-1986

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Burridge always running to the Kop after the final whistle to clap at the fans

I know we complain a lot about the entertainment we get today , but its hardly must see tv
the Fulham game in part 1 is at best drab

Watched the last 15 minutes of the Brighton game. That weekend I was playing in a chess congress at Sheffield University. I had finished my round 3 match early and decided to go to the Lane and got in the ground for free as gates usually open with 15 mins left. Saw Withe scoring the 3rd goal before going back to the University (Octagon centre) to start my 4th round match.

Missed the Fulham match (playing in a chess congress in London) and the L**ds match (cant remember why).

I remember the Norwich match well., my Norwich mate cheered the 5th goal(scored by Wendy fan Wayne Biggins) in the Kop! Porterfield's last match

I always thought the venom directed at Porterfield was OTT. Sure he made mistakes like signing way too many ageing players but to take us from Div 4 and the lowest point in our history to challenging for promotion to top flight in five years, albeit with financial backing, didn't warrant the abuse in my opinion.

I always thought the venom directed at Porterfield was OTT. Sure he made mistakes like signing way too many ageing players but to take us from Div 4 and the lowest point in our history to challenging for promotion to top flight in five years, albeit with financial backing, didn't warrant the abuse in my opinion.
Agreed - from 4th division to division 2 then gets replaced with Billy McEwan FFS.
Didn't we get tagged with "Dad's army " back then under Portetfield with the likes of Peter Withe, Phil Thompson and Budgie etc?

Brilliant Walthamstow Blade! Love these

One of the bits that made me do a double take was 50 mins into the Fulham game when a player called Parker is described by the legendary Daryll 'Chuckle Brother' Bentley as 'the tricky little coloured wing back!'

In those days he would have got away with it....not that many bought the match day videos. I had a few and used to chuckle at Bentley. His commentating accompanied our appalling play of the era but still brings back memories.

Not watched them all yet but will do. Keep them coming!!!

As I have said these videos/clips do bring back suchh great memories. I was only 8-12 ish in age in the Porterfield/McEwan era from the mid 80's till Bassett came in but remember more than I thought. I was flicking through some of the old programmes/Blades news.

Other than Edwards and Morris, and some solid play from Stan the Man and one season of brilliance from Cockerill we had some right rubbish. The old uns such as Thompson, Withe were pretty much done and the young lads were not ready under McEwan.

Crowds were awful but this was pre Sky and football seemed so much more pure. It was crap but I kind of liked it!

Like your music selections too!

Agreed - from 4th division to division 2 then gets replaced with Billy McEwan FFS.
Didn't we get tagged with "Dad's army " back then under Portetfield with the likes of Peter Withe, Phil Thompson and Budgie etc?

Yes, he got us near the top with some of them. We had Ray Lewington, Ken McNaught aswell. Then I think many were coming to the end of their career. Thompson definitely and Burridge though would make great saves was very erratic (see goal chucked in v Blackburn in a 3-3 classic - Wigley's virtuoso effort).

Porterfield had done well to get us up the leagues but things had gone a bit stale but some of abuse he got was over the top. 'Porterfield Out' was sang at a lot of games in one season in the mid 80's.

McEwan came in and had to bring the age down and oversee a transtiion but some of the kids who went on to have solid careers, both with us and elsewhere (Todd, Duffield, Marsden, Mendonca) were not quite ready.

McEwan was worse than Porterfield really and was a cheap replacement - he had been on the coaching staff.

Not watched these yet but will, 85/86 was my first season of attending the 'big matches' after been taken to loads of reserve games.

My first home match was Middlesboro -lost 1-0 - I was told that day pre match Cockerill was our best player, think we sold him within a month.

Happier memories for away trips though - my first away game was Oldham won 5-1.

Sure more memories will come flooding back when I watch.

LS26BLADE said:
Not watched these yet but will, 85/86 was my first season of attending the 'big matches' after been taken to loads of reserve games.

My first home match was Middlesboro -lost 1-0 - I was told that day pre match Cockerill was our best player, think we sold him within a month.

Happier memories for away trips though - my first away game was Oldham won 5-1.

Sure more memories will come flooding back when I watch.
That Middlesbrough game the Kop constantly chanted for Keith Edwards to come on as the game looked like heading for a 0-0 stalemate. Eventually Porterfield made a substitution but Boro got a last minute winner with what was in my memory their first attack. As I walked out of the ground after the final whistle to the sound of the Borofans celebrating, one shell-shocked United fan was stood on the Kop repeatedly saying "Bastards.... bastards"

[QUOTE="Deadbat, post: 1092006, member: 21whole Yes, he got us near the top with some of them. We had Ray Lewington, Ken McNaught aswell. Then I think many were coming to the end of their career. Thompson definitely and Burridge though would make great saves was very erratic (see goal chucked in v Blackburn in a 3-3 classic - Wigley's virtuoso effort).

Porterfield had done well to get us up the leagues but things had gone a bit stale but some of abuse he got was over the top. 'Porterfield Out' was sang at a lot of games in one season in the mid 80's.

McEwan came in and had to bring the age down and oversee a transtiion but some of the kids who went on to have solid careers, both with us and elsewhere (Todd, Duffield, Marsden, Mendonca) were not quite ready.

McEwan was worse than Porterfield really and was a cheap replacement - he had been on the coaching staff.[/QUOTE]
I thought Budgie was very reliable on the whole and tightened up he defence. That was a shocker against Blackburn though. I don't think Phil Thompson was that old, but he and Withe, both European Cup winners, were terrible.

Just looked it up, Phil Thompson was 31 when he signed for us, not old at all for a central defender, but he was well and truly past it. He retired that season.

That Middlesbrough game the Kop constantly chanted for Keith Edwards to come on as the game looked like heading for a 0-0 stalemate. Eventually Porterfield made a substitution but Boro got a last minute winner with what was in my memory their first attack. As I walked out of the ground after the final whistle to the sound of the Borofans celebrating, one shell-shocked United fan was stood on the Kop repeatedly saying "Bastards.... bastards"

It wasn't me.

I've also got the FA Cup win over Fulham from this season which I'll post at some stage.

The first time I heard really vocal 'Porterfield Out!' chants was in a 3-1 home defeat to Millwall (a young John Fashanu scored a good goal). The middle of the Kop used to chant 'Porterfield Out!' and the right hand side (slightly towards John Street) used to chant 'We'll take more care of you, Porterfield, Porterfield' after the British Airways advert of the late 70s/early 80s. Porterfield didn't help himself by dropping goal machine Keith Edwards in favour of that useless cart-horse Peter Withe. The 'Porterfield Out' chants subsided during our purple patch of October/November but came back with a vengeance during our new year slump, culminating in the 5-2 home defeat to champions Norwich that Silent refers to above that was shown on MOTD. This was the first car-park protest, later to become a regular feature at the Lane. I remember Porterfield speeding out of the car-park following his termination. After he died I read his Wikipedia entry which listed his many car-crashes/speeding incidents. For the first home game after his dismissal, Porterfield wrote the programme notes and it said something along the lines of "By the time you read this I may no longer be the manager of Sheffield United. I hope you continue to back Reg Brealey who has the club's best interests at heart."

The first time I heard really vocal 'Porterfield Out!' chants was in a 3-1 home defeat to Millwall (a young John Fashanu scored a good goal). The middle of the Kop used to chant 'Porterfield Out!' and the right hand side (slightly towards John Street) used to chant 'We'll take more care of you, Porterfield, Porterfield' after the British Airways advert of the late 70s/early 80s. Porterfield didn't help himself by dropping goal machine Keith Edwards in favour of that useless cart-horse Peter Withe. The 'Porterfield Out' chants subsided during our purple patch of October/November but came back with a vengeance during our new year slump, culminating in the 5-2 home defeat to champions Norwich that Silent refers to above that was shown on MOTD. This was the first car-park protest, later to become a regular feature at the Lane. I remember Porterfield speeding out of the car-park following his termination. After he died I read his Wikipedia entry which listed his many car-crashes/speeding incidents. For the first home game after his dismissal, Porterfield wrote the programme notes and it said something along the lines of "By the time you read this I may no longer be the manager of Sheffield United. I hope you continue to back Reg Brealey who has the club's best interests at heart."

I remember an excellent set of articles in Flashing Blade years ago called We'll Take More Care of You Porterfield about his time in charge.

Might have been me! :oops:

Cheets Deadbat - when I ran into Budgie last season (see my avatar) we had a good old yack about this time at the Blades (and some of the other 28 clubs he played for!) He's a smashing bloke, but he wasn't very happy when I reminded about that one he threw into his own net against Blackburn ;)
Scored by ex-Wendy player John Lowey!

went home and away a lot that season just watched the norwich game and remember at the time my mate saying edwards is SHIT just as he scored the first goal ,what a player he was missed the first 10 games if i remember right and still got 23 might have been more ,was at luton when he got is first of the season in the league cup and oldham when he got hatrick when the blades were superb in a 5 1 win also sure we played portsmouth who at the time were top united 2nd beat them 3 nil with brian smith making is debut and being motm

Yes we were great away from home in that purple patch registering wins at Bradford (Elland Road 4-1), Oldham 5-1 (most of the goals were in the first half and we were singing ' All we are saying is give us a goal' in the second half) and as you say, top of the table Portsmouth 3-0.

Back
Top Bottom