Matt Done

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bertieblade

Reaction score
Does this guy have a role in our team this season.

Ok he runs around a lot and no one can fault his effort but he was bought as a striker and will be behind, Sharp, Clark and possibly mcnulty for the central role. DCL will be an alternative to Clark and McNulty for Sharp which leaves Done as a spare part not suited to either role.
He cannot play wide and in my opinion does not have a football brain to play as a central striker, I would cash in a use the money for a wide man or central midfield player

Does this guy have a role in our team this season.

Ok he runs around a lot and no one can fault his effort but he was bought as a striker and will be behind, Sharp, Clark and possibly mcnulty for the central role. DCL will be an alternative to Clark and McNulty for Sharp which leaves Done as a spare part not suited to either role.
He cannot play wide and in my opinion does not have a football brain to play as a central striker, I would cash in a use the money for a wide man or central midfield player

More of a part exchange in the pipeline

UTB

I think he's decent enough on the wing - maybe not first choice if Che stays but certainly one of the better players in the squad in that positions if we are going to be playing 4-2-3-1.

I think he's probably a better striker that Mcnulty too - his goal record when played up top for us and rochdale is excellent. I know it's a while ago when he signed but when he actually had the run upto his goals to game would have put him on about 25 for the season. He got injured last preseason and was always playing catch up, then out of position.

Don't think even billy is as good at sniffing out half chances in the box. Think people will miss him, especially if adams goes.

I think one of Mcnulty and Done will go to aid team strengthening. Done is more versatile which is a reason to keep him. I wouldn't rule out a loan move for DCL either. We have an abundance of riches at this level.

If he's still here when the window closes I guess it will be a fight between him and McNulty for the role of Billy's cover. Wouldn't be surprised if we keep them both until the JTW and then make a choice.
Unless we get a good offer from a club that isn't one of our rivals.

Done's problem is Sharp...Sharp will play whenever fit and a Done and Sharp partnership doesn't appear to work.

It's clear Clarke and Sharp will be first choice so Done needs to go and the money reinvested in a centre half or central midfielder as he's too valuable an asset to be warming the bench

Wilder said that Done would not be playing Wing back - ok, so wingback is wide in a 5 man midfield.

All Wilder has done is play Done, wide left, in a 4 man midfield - not a lot of difference, but same result - abject performances.

If we play Done and Basham in a midfield of 4, we are stuffed this season.

UTB

Wilder said that Done would not be playing Wing back - ok, so wingback is wide in a 5 man midfield.

All Wilder has done is play Done, wide left, in a 4 man midfield - not a lot of difference, but same result - abject performances.

UTB
We haven't played a 4 man midfield yet.
He has played in the 3 behind Sharp with Duffy and Sparky/Coutts.
Yeah really abject performances eh? 2 goals in Spain, 2 at Stocky, and a decent performance last night
Be handy if you learnt the formation before you slagged the player

We haven't played a 4 man midfield yet.
He has played in the 3 behind Sharp with Duffy and Sparky/Coutts.
Yeah really abject performances eh? 2 goals in Spain, 2 at Stocky, and a decent performance last night
Be handy if you learnt the formation before you slagged the player

read Bergens post on the Derby game - the team alters what it does.

As for abject performances - it's only and opinion - glad to see you are happy with what we have got.

UTB

UTB
Done has been playing as part of a forward midfield 3, much more narrow than wide left. Wilder has also been rotating those three, so Done is often in the middle as well as left and when he goes beyond Sharp, then Sharp will drop and cover Done's defensive duties.

I do have some doubts about the split midfield idea but it looked great at Grimsby (league 2 level). The players who got a run out in those positions were

Duffy - match winner, looked great
Done - looked much happier than wide left
DCL - the other match winner along with Sharp
McNulty - actually did really well, got on the ball and good distribution
Brooks - keep an eye on this lad (only 12 minutes, but he's got something about him)
Che - would be a threat
Coutts - only a few minutes before he dropped into centre midfield, great first touch but......

All in all, playing behind a striker suits most of those players rather than up front or wide.

read Bergens post on the Derby game - the team alters what it does.

As for abject performances - it's only and opinion - glad to see you are happy with what we have got.

UTB
For the vast majority of pre season we have played 4-2-3-1. as we did for the majority (not all) of the Derby game. I have seen the majority of pre season matches to know how Wilder sets up and occasionally switches things withoUt having to see what Bergens posted (though I have read it) It's by no means the finished artical but it's a vast improvement on last season. Try looking for the positive signs rather than stating we will struggle based on 90 minutes of a friendly against quality opponents.

Keep hold of him, I really rate him and you need several match winners if you want to go up. He's the only one who can score with any part of his body, out of nothing, in the box.

"...and Sheffield United win the playoff final in extra time, it went in off Done's left nipple!"

Lump on it, you heard it here first.

Plus...

Matt Done's on fire, your defence is terrified.
Matt Done's on fire...
Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah naaaahhhh.....

Errrrrrrr....no Kozzy!

Sick of hearing that bloody song. Besides, the only thing we should want from Wigan is one or two of their players. Grigg would do very nicely!

One thing Done has that Sharp and McNulty don't is pace. Making him a useful sub when a game is stretched or a good option against teams who play a high line.

It's a shame that despite his pace, he can't beat a man. He would be a lot more of a viable option on the left and would probably be a regular starter if he could.

Matt Done is our League 1 Danny Webber. Possibly Paul Peschisolido. Don't under-estimate the value of an impact sub. If he is successful in a spot where he gets a regular 20-30 mins, he'd be an absolute gem. I hope he'd be happy with that.

He is a good striker, but it's hard to see where he fits in. There's no point trying to accommodate him on the wing or at left back because he's just not good enough in those positions. I'd imagine Clarke is going to be used as one of the main strikers and then you'd assume Sharp as captain will be too so that leaves Done and McNulty to battle it out for the scraps. It's not a bad problem to have for us, but we don't want them sat around doing nothing at the same time. I can see one of the two leaving on loan

For the vast majority of pre season we have played 4-2-3-1. as we did for the majority (not all) of the Derby game. I have seen the majority of pre season matches to know how Wilder sets up and occasionally switches things withoUt having to see what Bergens posted (though I have read it) It's by no means the finished artical but it's a vast improvement on last season. Try looking for the positive signs rather than stating we will struggle based on 90 minutes of a friendly against quality opponents.
I don't think Bergen is claiming that his report was the finished article but it was a good informative pre season effort, though last season was better.

i

Positives? - yes, always looking for positives.

I seem to remember the tremendous entthusiasm Adkins brought with him and endorsed by the greater majority of supporters up to August, although a few, me included advised caution with Adkins as all Adkins seemed to do was attempt to make Cloughs player better with a few additions. What a mistake as we all saw.

The same appears to be with Wilder - a great level of enthusiasm, a few new players - but if we are stll to get the teams creative department with players from last season, we are not going to be much (if any) better - IMO.

The arrival (hopefully) of Sam Morsy would be a welcome addition and allow more thought and creativity in midfield - it's where the whole team revolves, and IMO is a concern as it stands now.

The defence might be good enough (aka: Burton, don't concede, don't lose) but Brayford for me (and others) is a poor defender. Hussey? unknown quantity - O'connell looks good - Wlson, again unknown, but as with Hussey would have been taken by others if better.

Back to positives - I am glass half full, always have been, but I fail to accept mediocrity and average. We just look average.

As with most teams and seasons, we will know very early how good/bad we are - perhaps 6 to 10 games - we should all revisit at that point.

UTB

i

I seem to remember the tremendous entthusiasm Adkins brought with him and endorsed by the greater majority of supporters up to August, although a few, me included advised caution with Adkins as all Adkins seemed to do was attempt to make Cloughs player better with a few additions. What a mistake as we all saw.

The same appears to be with Wilder - a great level of enthusiasm, a few new players - but if we are stll to get the teams creative department with players from last season, we are not going to be much (if any) better - IMO.

The arrival (hopefully) of Sam Morsy would be a welcome addition and allow more thought and creativity in midfield - it's where the whole team revolves, and IMO is a concern as it stands now.

The defence might be good enough (aka: Burton, don't concede, don't lose) but Brayford for me (and others) is a poor defender. Hussey? unknown quantity - O'connell looks good - Wlson, again unknown, but as with Hussey would have been taken by others if better.

Back to positives - I am glass half full, always have been, but I fail to accept mediocrity and average. We just look average.

As with most teams and seasons, we will know very early how good/bad we are - perhaps 6 to 10 games - we should all revisit at that point.

UTB

To be fair to Wilder , IMO he will be thinking the same as you ( me and a lot more ) . Difference is its his cock on the block to get it right , we only have opinions or observations .

We are 4 players short of a promotion winning side , and some of the existing players , transfer listed or still on a running contract ain't good enough .

It's imperative we do sell the lad Che , to free up additional finance to strengthen the squad with quality. If not we are in a situation again where we could finnish up anywhere between 1st or 11th.

Positive yes , but still unfinished business to be carried out . let's be sensible like Wilder not deluded .

Getting there but we need more winners , not mediocrity .

UTB

i

UTB

Sorry but you cannot say we are average based on seeing 1 game against a top side from the championship. That's definitely a glass half empty view. I'll agree that it's early doors and we don't know how things might go, I merely question your initial post that we would struggle this season and that it was an abysmal performance.

I tend
To be fair to Wilder , IMO he will be thinking the same as you ( me and a lot more ) . Difference is its his cock on the block to get it right , we only have opinions or observations .

We are 4 players short of a promotion winning side , and some of the existing players , transfer listed or still on a running contract ain't good enough .

It's imperative we do sell the lad Che , to free up additional finance to strengthen the squad with quality. If not we are in a situation again where we could finnish up anywhere between 1st or 11th.

Positive yes , but still unfinished business to be carried out . let's be sensible like Wilder not deluded .

Getting there but we need more winners , not mediocrity .

I tend to agre
i

UTB
I agree, lets wait and see,but as always I look at our opposition this season and say who is better placed to win the league/promotion than us? We may not have the team we all want yet but, is it, at this moment one of the best in the league, surely this is whats most important

Back
Top Bottom