Grimsby Telegraph Mon 25th.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It's an extremely sad state and its just another town that Britain has forgotten about. The other side is that there is a very industrial area just outside Grimsby and outside that some glorious British countryside.

The area between Grimsby and cleethorpes, coincidentally where the football ground is, is a real dump. One of the digger drivers on our job got caught by his car with his pants down and a crack filled hooked doing her work. When the police arrived they suggested that as the engine was running and he was pissed he would be charged with drink driving... He managed to get them just to charge him with kerb crawling and pay the fine for removing his car...
Grimsby for years have been trying to get a new g round built, there are a few locations where it could be built, all of them on the edge of town & not near Cleethorpes & it's seafront bars, if they did eventually move an away trip to Grimsby would be more grim that it is now & therefore not as attractive to troublemakers.

Those Harringtions Crombies were laughably cheap and horrible. Made to measure was the way.
I always thought the Barathea blazer with a Yorkshire Rose badge was a great look.
There a few original skinheads (all approaching 65!) who run a ska night and all wear the original gear from the sixties. Not like the fifty year old "mods" who claim to have been around when it all started mid sixties.

I like a bit of anthropology and quite partial to a bit of Ska beat so where can I find these "ska nights"

AL CAPONE GUNS DON't ARGUE...

Not hit the press yet, but there will be some significantly more serious investigations taking place in the very near future regarding the conduct of some United fans on Saturday!

Will see how big and hard those scum are when they are playing mummies and daddies with a lifer in HMP...FOR 13 years minimum!
Won't bother me.

I behaved myself and had a great day out

Not hit the press yet, but there will be some significantly more serious investigations taking place in the very near future regarding the conduct of some United fans on Saturday!

Will see how big and hard those scum are when they are playing mummies and daddies with a lifer in HMP...FOR 13 years minimum!

Yeah, in the next cell to those thugs who brought disgrace on the club and whose mug shots appeared on the front of The Star, after the Wembley dust up, no doubt.............................oh hang on? :rolleyes:

Yeah, in the next cell to those thugs who brought he fuldisgrace on the club and whose mug shots appeared on the front of The Star, after the Wembley dust up, no doubt.............................oh hang on? :rolleyes:

In the scheme of it, disgrace on the club is one thing but consequences of those actions at Grimsby are far worse than that of Wembley.
A fat lip, bruises, even broken bones, and some upset fans at Wembley is one thing and receives the relevant response of police in line with the seriousness of the offence.
Some offences are investigated to the full....and that will happen in this case I can assure you.

In the scheme of it, disgrace on the club is one thing but consequences of those actions at Grimsby are far worse than that of Wembley.
A fat lip, bruises, even broken bones, and some upset fans at Wembley is one thing and receives the relevant response of police in line with the seriousness of the offence.
Some offences are investigated to the full....and that will happen in this case I can assure you.
What exactly are they investigating?

What exactly are they investigating?

i can't say for very good reasons, but it will be very clear when the press are allowed to release details.

Boils my piss that scum like these can't go to a football match without running around pissed, in groups acting like ten men! Fucking pathetic cretins, always have been always will be whether the 60's, 80's or whatever.
No need for it.

Well one or two will be crying like babies when they are sent down for a very long time.

I have to say that I didn't see any real trouble at all.

We were drinking away from the ground before the game. We did leave the pub to go for fish and chips and the afterwards wandered back to the same watering hole (Willys) to find it all locked up but the landlady was by the door and let us straight back in. She said that there had been some trouble up the road.

We stayed drinking a bit longer than we should and a local Grimsby fan called us a cab to get us to the ground on time.

We knew that things were likely turn nasty after the game so we left the ground about 10 minutes early (which we shouldn't have to) and walked down the sea front to the station in complete calm.

At the station we saw a bit of posturing by a few nob heads ( I think they were theirs but they could have been ours. They looked ridiculous any way ) but nothing approaching violent disorder. One in a burberry shirt and a couple in Ellesse sun hats looking like they had come straight from the 70s and about as hard as a lump of brie.

The train was about 15 minutes late in which didn't help matters but although it was packed solid it was also calm and peaceful all the way back to Donny where we got off.

I did read on the internet that the Grimsby Telegraph was talking about Police barricading hundreds of fans on the station but to be honest that was just a load of sensationalist bollocks unless it all happened after our train (the 17.26 going on 17.40) had left.

All in all a top day out.
I see the burberry shirt and ellesse hat made it into the pictures

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/l...-is-arrested/story-29543640-detail/story.html

Remember shining my Doc Martens with ox-blood polish, onto Scotts on The Wicker for a No 1 hair cut and then off to The golden city for a few games on the pin balls before the match

After bouncing up and down to "knees up mother brown" my boots were in a right state

Have to say my boots evolved through red to black to silver..
Scotts on the wicker :) I used to sell them hairdressing products ,Mick was a great bloke.

I witnessed incidents at both venues and the violence at Wembley was far more serious than the posturing at Grimsby, those involved in London could have been easily identified by CCTV images and seat numbers, but to my knowledge, nothing happened to them.

It shows the quality of Saturdays Policing when, out of all this serious disorder and mayhem, there were just four arrests for Section 5 public order?
The Police themselves were complicit in the disorder, as they have sent away fans (Men, women and children) over the footbridge and sea wall on many previous occasions, invariably with the same result. I remember explicitly the identical scenario a couple of years ago when Leeds came to Blundell Park in similar numbers. The local morons go straight to Suggitts Lane crossing, grab handfuls of stones off the railway track and wait in the adjacent field. If it is beyond the wit of Humberside Police to send officers to ensure that area is clear, before directing away fans into an ambush, I wouldn't put any money on further arrests.

Anybody remember when the Hofbrauhaus used to have strippers on Saturday dinnertime?

It was something like 5p to get in. The place was packed till about 2.45 then everybody piled out and headed to The Lane.

Reactions: Dkc
I witnessed incidents at both venues and the violence at Wembley was far more serious than the posturing at Grimsby, those involved in London could have been easily identified by CCTV images and seat numbers, but to my knowledge, nothing happened to them.

It shows the quality of Saturdays Policing when, out of all this serious disorder and mayhem, there were just four arrests for Section 5 public order?
The Police themselves were complicit in the disorder, as they have sent away fans (Men, women and children) over the footbridge and sea wall on many previous occasions, invariably with the same result. I remember explicitly the identical scenario a couple of years ago when Leeds came to Blundell Park in similar numbers. The local morons go straight to Suggitts Lane crossing, grab handfuls of stones off the railway track and wait in the adjacent field. If it is beyond the wit of Humberside Police to send officers to ensure that area is clear, before directing away fans into an ambush, I wouldn't put any money on further arrests.

Seriousness is defined by injury.....and you clearly didn't witness all of the incidents.
Policing for the game was woefully below the required standard, numbers were also way below that required and due in no other part but for a lack of planning by the police. Same time on Saturday was a Scunny-Hull Derby which is also often quite tasty and despite enough warning it wasn't planned for siuficiently.

However, that in no way should excuse men and boys from Both sets of fans for the behaviour on Saturday. Nor does it excuse the repeated stamping on the body and head of one by a group after he has gone down on the floor and is out. I'm sure it doesn't take any explanation to realise how serious the injuries we are talking here.

So no doubt the police will get it in the neck for a lack of control, but those responsible will be found and they will be sent to prison.

The low number of arrests is simple to explain.....if they arrest loads, they need loads more cops and cell space to process them. They didn't have enough cops to deal with the disorders as it was, so carting a few more off will have an even bigger negative effect on that effectiveness.
Sadly in this country, we seem to think that in times of worldwide terrorism and increasing demand for police and NHS services we should cut their budgets.....well that's the Tory way!
We have the services we are paying for.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/g...voked-attack/story-29557278-detail/story.html

I hope those responsible at least have the balls to come forward, rather than waiting for the police to identify them through DNA, CCTV and so on.
Unfortunately, this may also see some bad feeling between both sets of fans when we play them in the cup match soon.

For those thinking of attending, I would suggest a very wary approach.

With the increasing numbers of 'morons' attending away matches I will be very selective on the games I attend away from BDTBL - At Rochdale and Doncaster last season it was embarrassing - The behaviour of grown men acting like thugs and louts being copied by their younger siblings makes me certainly question the sanity of attending the Blades Away Days - At one time a really good day out is now being spoilt by brainless idiots who haven't a clue on how to behave in the outside world.I'm all for having a few beers and enjoying the match (whilst that has been increasingly difficult under Adkins & Clough) but these idiotic morons and neanderthals who seem intent on causing mayhem and aggravation seem to get away with it !

Agree. The lack of police and the increase in a new younger generation of scumbag is seeing to a more violent society in general.
The football will be a platform for these types of moron to run around in their little gangs looking for single victims to set upon. And these types will stick the boot in.

Society for some reason seems to think it's ok to question the authority of the police and challenge them. They think they can just do what they want regardless of the consequences.

Agree. The lack of police and the increase in a new younger generation of scumbag is seeing to a more violent society in general.
The football will be a platform for these types of moron to run around in their little gangs looking for single victims to set upon. And these types will stick the boot in.

Society for some reason seems to think it's ok to question the authority of the police and challenge them. They think they can just do what they want regardless of the consequences.

It was not so long ago that the police were being blamed for over policing games ,with excessive numbers. Barriers etc around the Lane.
It seems to me that they are damned if they do and damned if they don't Maybe, if, instead of standing around watching, they should be more proactive in arresting the Chavs before the situation escalates and involves those with no interest in football. Without condoning it, at least the old BBC kept things in house and messed with those of a similar disposition.

Mate....see an earlier reply.

There isn't the police numbers to arrest early and get them out the way. It would be counter productive and take officers off the street to process them. Watch the tv shows.....it takes forever for cops to process a prisoner and book them in. All about looking after the poor little prisoner who's seen fit to possibly break the law and require arresting.

But yes....always been the case. Police can never do right. In 35 years going to the football I've never been subject to any police intervention, home or away. So targeting those who cause trouble and disruption is the only solution, and this would be helped with fellow fans self policing to some extent.
Taking a stand, reporting disgraceful behaviour and assisting the police prosecute by being witnesses.

Last edited:
The low number of arrests is simple to explain.....if they arrest loads, they'll be late off. They didn't have enough cops to deal with the disorders as it was, so carting a few more off will have an even bigger negative effect on that effectiveness.
Sadly in this country, we seem to think that in times of worldwide terrorism and increasing demand for police and NHS services we should cut their budgets.....well that's the Tory way!
We have the services we are paying for.

Just corrected that last paragraph for you.

The policing was woeful, as always, no common sense and a minimum of pre planning. Why didn't they have a prison bus available, for arrests. I watched that moron in the yellow and white coat spend ninety minutes shouting and gesticulating at Utd fans, his mate even had to tell him they'd scored. Then after the game I saw him running down the sea front past the arcades at the head of a mob of 'Town' idiots heading towards the station. If I was able to identify him as a ring leader, some bloody copper should have done and nicked him.

Again...lack of knowledge.
They were all very late off anyway according to a mate of mine.... South Yorks were there by the way.

Prison bus does what exactly....allows booking in for 5/6 to sit in a bus....they still have to go to custody, and they still have to b processed. Not sure of prisoner capacity at Grimsby, but looks small so prisoners will then need transport elsewhere....in other words Hull. An hour minimum in travel alone.

Still remains that without very large numbers of cops in riot gear they won't arrest large numbers on the day. as for the fella you describe, if he's committed offences, he will get a visit.

And I remind you....that Scunny played Hull on the same day at the same time. Being a friendly I assume the numbers were under estimated. I would bet police numbers will be very high in the upcoming replay. They got it wrong...but still the fans fault

image.jpeg They should have utilised a prison bus like the one shown here on the promenade last Saturday, to house the arrested ringleaders, which ultimately would just require a couple of officers to book them in Grizzly. The reason there was only four arrests because the Police couldn't be arsed.

ok, so you are suggesting that police go in to grab the so called ring leaders and thus stop the disorder.
That just won't happen. They aren't ring leaders....they are just the brave ones that run into the group as soon as you go for them. This then increases confrontation with police.
Add to that the lack of officers in riot gear. I understand this was very lacking for reasons mentioned earlier.
So you then want cops to go wading in to grab a few, and then also give chase when they run off. I reckon that gear isn't really the easiest to run about in. And I don't think I would be keen to go into a mob of people, most of whom are pissed and wanting a scrap, when you are outnumbered considerably. You may also notice a large number of female officers in there....,hardly a physical prescence!
These officers want to go home in one piece too at the end of the day.

Police lost this when they didn't have sufficient cops to patrol the area of Cleethorpes sufficiently both prior and in the build up to the game. That was a lack of planning. Nothing to do with those on the ground on the day not being arsed, not wanting to be late off or any other reason you imagine.
They were trying to juggle several different sporadic incidents of disorder in several areas at once. The bosses and planners need the rocket for exposing the officers they had, and not getting Intel on attendance and policing accordingly.

I hope the guy who got hurt gets better. I despise the pack stamping on someone knocked down mentality. It's cowardice and the perpetrators are dangerous and want removing from normal society. Hopefully their bragging after the event will lead to their own downfall.

;);)
Anybody remember when the Hofbrauhaus used to have strippers on Saturday dinnertime?

It was something like 5p to get in. The place was packed till about 2.45 then everybody piled out and headed to The Lane.

Love the strippers. Used to go and watch em at Manor Top club on a Sunday afternoon when our very was at home cooking Sunday dinner. There was one bird who used to do the Sunday afternoon after doing the night shift in Birds Of paradice. Don't ask me how I know;););)

;);)

Love the strippers. Used to go and watch em at Manor Top club on a Sunday afternoon when our very was at home cooking Sunday dinner. There was one bird who used to do the Sunday afternoon after doing the night shift in Birds Of paradice. Don't ask me how I know;););)

Darren ? After all these years you can do better than "Aynell Creempie", surely ?

You gotta be joking Bert, we used to head to Studio 7 on the Wicker dirty mac and all

Just kidding mate, no totty ever replaces the Blades....

Anybody else in Hofbrauhaus when the Newcastle fans piled in back in the 70's?

Back
Top Bottom