Name those Blades...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

JJ Sefton

Live, Laugh, Love
Reaction score
ff035045e417694656b3b4cff9b7962b.jpg

I was mates with Len Badgers grandson at school, who he's a dead ringer for. That's the only reason I know.

http://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/Matches/Match.aspx?id=2674

Blades team was ; Hodgkinson, Badger, B.Shaw, Birchenall, Matthewson, B Wagstaff, Woodward, Mallender, Jones, Barlow and Cliff. Jones scored in the 1-1 draw

bornablade is correct with identifying the Blades players. Tony Coleman is the Man City player off the pitch. Johnny Crossan (I think), Colin Bell (8) and Mike Summerbee (7) are the other City players

http://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/Matches/Match.aspx?id=2674

Blades team was ; Hodgkinson, Badger, B.Shaw, Birchenall, Matthewson, B Wagstaff, Woodward, Mallender, Jones, Barlow and Cliff. Jones scored in the 1-1 draw

bornablade is correct with identifying the Blades players. Tony Coleman is the Man City player off the pitch. Johnny Crossan (I think), Colin Bell (8) and Mike Summerbee (7) are the other City players

Didn't get Matthewson or Crossan but I thought the rest were pretty easy.

Man City got promotion from 2nd div in 1966, the below photo is from the 5-2 defeat at Maine Road in Sept 1967 (Mick Jones last game for us) so Walthy's photo was from the May 1967 match

Sheff-U-home-1967-to-68-bowles-citys-4th-goal.jpg

I wondered in Walthys photo if the one you say is Crossan was Neil Young but I remember him being taller.

I wondered in Walthys photo if the one you say is Crossan was Neil Young but I remember him being taller.
I was thinking Neil Young too because of the wiry hair, and , yes, he is about 6 foot so I believe from looking at Manchester City team, it is Johnny Crossan who was smaller. He scored City's goal

As a nipper, I used to go to Donny Rovers and Tony Coleman was an early hero of mine. He was a really skilful player and was obviously going to go on to better things. But he was no angel; he had a bit of a temper on him. I remember one game he was booted from pillar to post by a particularly robust defender. He got nothing from the referee. After getting kicked once too often and the ref waving play on, Coleman was clearly furious. He petulantly (if understandably) kicked the defender back and got himself sent off. Incensed at the injustice of it, Coleman smacked the ref on his way off! He got a hefty ban for his trouble!

There were quite a few players from the Donny teams of my very early days that I thought the Blades would try to sign...but we never did. They usually ended up at Swillsboro instead.

Man City got promotion from 2nd div in 1966, the below photo is from the 5-2 defeat at Maine Road in Sept 1967 (Mick Jones last game for us) so Walthy's photo was from the May 1967 match

Sheff-U-home-1967-to-68-bowles-citys-4th-goal.jpg

How times have changed. Leeds were promoted in 1964 and the following season were challenging for the title. Man City were promoted in 1966 and won the first division title in 1968. Derby were promoted in 1969 and within a few years won the first division title.

Nowadays any team promoted to the Premiership set themselves a 40 point target and an objective not to get relegated.

I wonder if Leicester's success last season will see things change to how it used to be.

I think the one who looks like an amalgamation of a 'keeper and a man City forward is Doc Octopus from Spiderman.

Back
Top Bottom