CONFIRMED Clarke Official

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Once saw Leon Clarke in Naps at 4am on a Saturday morning in his dressing gown, he was playing later that day for the pigs. Fair to say his head really wasn't on it back then but has always had a bit of ability. So long as he isn't on daft wages and we're not paying Bury a substantial amount he's worth a go.

And yes, still need a winger, a centre mid and another first choice centre half for me.

As earlier post said; Clarke originally found the first bid funny but now is unsettled. Which is it? I am sure he is very keen on a move due to the extra wages, signing on fee, facilities etc at SUFC.
He's laughed his cock off which is "unsettling" for most any bloke

How many times have you watched him?

I haven't seen him play a full game. I've only seen him in highlights which is why I acknowledge he might have huge weaknesses I don't know about. But from what I have seen, he looks quick and strong. Add to that he's over 6 foot and has scored 20 odd goals in each of the last 2 seasons, he sems to fit the profile of the type of forward I've love us to sign.

Bidding for a player that Bury signed on free transfer, has had more clubs than most people have had hot dinners is and is 31 years old. Oh and is an ex-pig with past attitude problems.

I can't see this signing going wrong at all.

IF this is the case, let's see how much Flitcroft laughs at the derisory offer then.

Can this idiot Flitcroft enlighten us as to when the player stopped laughing at the offer (odd, given its complete irrelevance to him) and began to take it so seriously that it "turned his head" such that he couldn't play today?

It couldn't be that Flitcroft was making up a story to look tough, could it? He speaks of "comical" and "embarrassing". If the cap fits, mate...

Bidding for a player that Bury signed on free transfer, has had more clubs than most people have had hot dinners is and is 31 years old. Oh and is an ex-pig with past attitude problems.

I can't see this signing going wrong at all.

may be self fulfilling with your sunshine optimism

Once saw Leon Clarke in Naps at 4am on a Saturday morning in his dressing gown, he was playing later that day for the pigs. Fair to say his head really wasn't on it back then but has always had a bit of ability. So long as he isn't on daft wages and we're not paying Bury a substantial amount he's worth a go.

And yes, still need a winger, a centre mid and another first choice centre half for me.
He does look a lot more athletic than his porkular porkular days

It's purely the bidding game being played by Flitcroft, however unprofessionaly done. To say that they laughed at the offer is disrespectful irrespective of who placed the offer. He must have a problem with SUFC. Well tough. They have money problems like most of us down here. If he plays with fire he.might just get burned.
Yes. They should have just said the offer was "derisory" then most fans wouldn't have got so upset.

may be self fulfilling with your sunshine optimism

I could be wrong and he could be a great signing, I was wrong about Sharp last season. It's just Clarke is a player we wanted 3 years ago, who we failed to get and who is now on the wrong side of 30.

So I am not overwhelmed by the prospect of us signing Clarke despite his decent record in league 1.

Back to the main purpose of the thread. This Clarke saga is getting as long as the Burns one and unfortunately Burns is a brand of guitar. Spooky eh?

This is the Burns model I have, plays like a dream

burns-silver-marquee.jpg

I could be wrong and he could be a great signing, I was wrong about Sharp last season. It's just Clarke is a player we wanted 3 years ago, who we failed to get and who is now on the wrong side of 30.

So I am not overwhelmed by the prospect of us signing Clarke despite his decent record in league 1.

Provided he's fit and firing (and his haul last season suggests he is) he should have two or three very good seasons left in him. We only need one of them.

Kevin Phillips scored over 100 goals after his 30th birthday.

Sorry if already mentioned, SYtransfers yesterday said deal is close for Clarke. They seem pretty accurate if you go through their history of recent news. it is twitter but I'm more confident of this site than others.

Surely it makes more sense to hold off for a bit. Surely we can shop for better players if we end up selling someone for decent money.

Clarke wouldn't be a bad cheap option. I'm not convinced he'd be be player id choose to sign if we can use a chunk of cash tho.

Surely it makes more sense to hold off for a bit. Surely we can shop for better players if we end up selling someone for decent money.

Clarke wouldn't be a bad cheap option. I'm not convinced he'd be be player id choose to sign if we can use a chunk of cash tho.
His record at our level is superb,exactly what we need,a good striker to support Billy.

I'd agree if we didn't have so many other positions to strengthen.

You could spend far more than what Clarke would cost and have nowhere near the same guarantee of goals at L1 level.

Provided he's fit and firing (and his haul last season suggests he is) he should have two or three very good seasons left in him. We only need one of them.

Kevin Phillips scored over 100 goals after his 30th birthday.

Would prefer Phillips over Clarke any day of the week . Not that keen on Clarke , but needs must and he is a out and out proven goal scorer . If he can be managed correctly , gets a new lease of life , then we would have a good asset . We just cannot rely on Billy , as we become one dimensional , with only one real goal threat .

I don't think the fee will be a problem , it's agreeing the length of contract

Don't laugh but he reminds me a bit of Billy Dearden

UTB

I'd hope for a 2 year (+1 year option if WE want it) with a decent promotion bonus would see him come here...can't be that hard to at least match what Bury are paying him?

As for not buyin him now if we have some money coming in...he's as good a player as any (on paper) to guarantee goals in league one. Save the money for another position, good wingers won't come cheap and nor would a goalkeeper. Of course money would also need to be spent on bringing in another CM and CB too.

I'd agree if we didn't have so many other positions to strengthen.

You could spend far more than what Clarke would cost and have nowhere near the same guarantee of goals at L1 level.

Suppose that's fair. If we used that cash for a decent wide player, cb and cm. then I guess it would still make sense to pick up a cheaper option as a striker.

Back
Top Bottom