Time for a fresh approach from us Blades supporters?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'd like the optimism to be founded on something other than upanatem and battling.

I'd like people to yearn for the United of John Harris and the first season under Howard Kendall. I'd like people to remember that when upanatem quickly fades, as it always does, you're nowhere unless it's underpinned by the talent of proper footballers playing the game the right way. Remember Muckanettles Morgan - great for a couple of games, then came Portsmouth and....Yeovil. It's rubbish. It doesn't work.

One of the many S2 myths is that it's a choice between skill and passion. In truth winners have both in abundance and the latter is never, ever enough.

Believe me, if crude, simplistic, hoof and hope, but full of passion ale house football was the way to play the game then Barca, Real, Milan, the national teams of Brazil, France, Argentina, Italy and Holland and all the great teams would play that way. They didn't; they don't; they won't.

You seem to confuse getting the ball moved forward quickly with hoofing it forward to a big man to flick it on.

I bet you are one of those who think Leciester just got lucky this season, you would have a problem if we adopted their style wouldn't you?

I'm not sure weather we need to change our approach, I think we've got a good grip on things at the lane....

If it's crap, were quiet, if it gets worse we get nasty, if we get to see effort passion and pride in the shirt, players who have left it all on the pitch, then the noise will be deafening throughout the game, as it was against charlton..

Basic stuff, give the crowd something to cheer about, and they'll cheer won't they..

When Wilder eventually fails, Big K doesn't have far to look for the next incumbent.

I'm not sure weather we need to change our approach, I think we've got a good grip on things at the lane....

If it's crap, were quiet, if it gets worse we get nasty, if we get to see effort passion and pride in the shirt, players who have left it all on the pitch, then the noise will be deafening throughout the game, as it was against charlton..

Basic stuff, give the crowd something to cheer about, and they'll cheer won't they..

And there it is for all to see... Football the S2 way. No mention of ability, flair, style, technique. Might as well go and watch park football.

It's the Bladesfans' Way...

You seem to confuse getting the ball moved forward quickly with hoofing it forward to a big man to flick it on.

I bet you are one of those who think Leciester just got lucky this season, you would have a problem if we adopted their style wouldn't you?

Quite the contrary. Luck never won a league. Neither did Bassett's long redundant hoof and hope.

Leicester play at a very high tempo but it's still largely pass and move, unless you think Mahrez is a Hoofer. I can't recall their keeper prancing to the half way line before launching it over the heads of unskilled midfielders into the opposition penalty area.

Their football is light years ahead of that of your favourite dinosaur.

A rallying call indeed but entirely lacking in substance, punctuated by the nauseatingly parochial "one of our own" with a "Battling Blades" thrown in for good measure.

Have you really no higher aspirations than pining for Ol' Big Nose, Dinosaur Dave and "upanatem" football?
It might be worth explaining your aspiration though Pinchy.?

It's okay putting others down, but I'm fairly sure you've been right behind what's going on for the last however many years and damning what's gone before. Yet we are in the worst period of the clubs history.

You must realise we've been entirely without substance for far too long.

UTB

I think I may have mentioned this before: Bassett is a dinosaur and his "football" has been long abandoned everywhere except S2. Fans of Forest, Watford, Palace, Barnsley et al never mention him. Only in the crazy, ultra-parochial and deeply embarrassing world that is S2...

Pinchy , agree . But with Harry .

Right place at the right time with the blades . Just another manager at other clubs.

The past is a foreign country , we should never go there especially with players , managers , tactics .

Sharp the exception.

Wilder , still a unknown quantity but will get 100 % backing from me . Also he is at the lane right place at the right time.

Fresh approach - hope so , but do we ever learn , again hope so.

UTB

I think I may have mentioned this before: Bassett is a dinosaur and his "football" has been long abandoned everywhere except S2. Fans of Forest, Watford, Palace, Barnsley et al never mention him. Only in the crazy, ultra-parochial and deeply embarrassing world that is S2...
We abandoned what you call hoof when Warnock left, a decade ago. It's gone swimmingly since. :)

There's solid ground and cotton wool. You're in the latter fella.

UTB

I'd like the optimism to be founded on something other than upanatem and battling.

I'd like people to yearn for the United of John Harris and the first season under Howard Kendall. I'd like people to remember that when upanatem quickly fades, as it always does, you're nowhere unless it's underpinned by the talent of proper footballers playing the game the right way. Remember Muckanettles Morgan - great for a couple of games, then came Portsmouth and....Yeovil. It's rubbish. It doesn't work.

One of the many S2 myths is that it's a choice between skill and passion. In truth winners have both in abundance and the latter is never, ever enough.

Believe me, if crude, simplistic, hoof and hope, but full of passion ale house football was the way to play the game then Barca, Real, Milan, the national teams of Brazil, France, Argentina, Italy and Holland and all the great teams would play that way. They didn't; they don't; they won't.
We have to start some where Pinchy and if going back to primeval man works so be it .All our previouse managers (during our stay in this turgid league )
have tried to football the way out of this division,If we have to revert to a more aggressive and direct style so be it.We can introduce a more fluent game
in the future, that's not to say !!Mr Wilder wont play. a fluant aggressive way to start with.Either way let's get out of this division proto ,that's what really matters.

To that I'd say give the man a chance. Who says Wilder plays up and at em football? Pressing high and with a quick tempo doesn't mean hoof it

It might be worth explaining your aspiration though Pinchy.?

It's okay putting others down, but I'm fairly sure you've been right behind what's going on for the last however many years and damning what's gone before. Yet we are in the worst period of the clubs history.

You must realise we've been entirely without substance for far too long.

UTB

You flatter me mate. I don't think I have that sort of influence (indeed any). I'm no more in favour of constant sideways passing than you are. The problem is we haven't had the players to play the game properly. They try but it breaks down at Phase 2, namely the transition 'through the thirds' as NA would put it (I say phase 2 because we never actually get to phase 3) We haven't had players of sufficient ability or mobility. It needs quick minds and quick feet.

Where we differ is that I do not see the problem in the style, but rather our inability to implement it. Some very poor players (and not just those recruited by the Nigels) have got off easy in terms of blame at the expense of the managers. I don't see a solution in missing out phases 2 and 3 and lumping it straight from 1-4. It doesn't work and it doesn't entertain either. The answer, as ever, is better players. The best eleven players in their positions in League One would "football" us to death with sharp, incisive pass and move. A "poor man's mix" of Leicester and Arsenal if you like but zero Wimbledon.

I'm all for pride and passion. In my experience, and contrary to the Bladey myth, the best footballing teams have it in abundance. It isn't either/or....

As ever I suspect you will agree we are not far apart.

By the way, I was/am very fond if Dave Bassett and have often said he was the right man for the time. My wrath/impatience is really targeted at those S2 diehards who think it has any relevance or utility in the 21st century, rather than the chirpy old Diplodocus himself...

You flatter me mate. I don't think I have that sort of influence (indeed any). I'm no more in favour of constant sideways passing than you are. The problem is we haven't had the players to play the game properly. They try but it breaks down at Phase 2, namely the transition 'through the thirds' as NA would put it (I say phase 2 because we never actually get to phase 3) We haven't had players of sufficient ability or mobility. It needs quick minds and quick feet.

Where we differ is that I do not see the problem in the style, but rather our inability to implement it. Some very poor players (and not just those recruited by the Nigels) have got off easy in terms of blame at the expense of the managers. I don't see a solution in missing out phases 2 and 3 and lumping it straight from 1-4. It doesn't work and it doesn't entertain either. The answer, as ever, is better players. The best eleven players in their positions in League One would "football" us to death with sharp, incisive pass and move. A "poor man's mix" of Leicester and Arsenal if you like but zero Wimbledon.

I'm all for pride and passion. In my experience, and contrary to the Bladey myth, the best footballing teams have it in abundance. It isn't either/or....

By the way, I was/am very fond if Dave Bassett and have often said he was the right man for the time. My wrath/impatience is really targeted at those S2 diehards who think it has any relevance or utility in the 21st century, rather than the chirpy old Diplodocus himself...
You must acknowledge that we've looked gutless for too long. Wilder comes across as someone who won't accept that, and it's surely to be applauded?

I think you take a call for that as a call for hoof. That said, right now, 95% of fans wouldn't give two fucks how we get out of the division.

UTB

To that I'd say give the man a chance. Who says Wilder plays up and at em football? Pressing high and with a quick tempo doesn't mean hoof it

No I agree with that, but I have heard far too many bellowing Gerrituptfield and Gerritforrard to have any confidence that many of our fellow 'fans' know the difference.

Constant references to Bassett on here (and as I say in another thread, only here - he's insignificant at his other former clubs) only reinforce my despair...

Johnny Harris' Red and White Army....

You must acknowledge that we've looked gutless for too long. Wilder comes across as someone who won't accost that, and it's surely to be applauded?

I think you take a call for that as a call for hoof. That said, right now, 95% of fans wouldn't give two fucks how we get out of the division.

UTB

I was against the Wilder appointment. I'm not impressed by his record but his last two seasons have an upward curve. I have warmed to him as a result of the cull and he will have my support. Being a 'Blade' is an entirely neutral factor, however, and will win us not a single point....

This is most definitely not a dig at our support, even though last season, when we weren't decidedly quiet at games, we were decidedly critical (we all read Roy's excellent 'views from' don't we?)

As far as I'm concerned, the self-deprecating, piss-taking fans from, and I will say it, tin pot clubs, can do one for me. Don't tell me fans of ANY team would be right behind them after anything like the shambles of the last 9 years following relegation from two divisions higher culminating in the utter dross of last season.

People can look all they like at the likes of 'plucky Crawley Town' and their loyal, let's-just-enjoy-the-ride approach to their new found league status of very recent years. I can tell you that their attitude had changed somewhat by the end of last season when they lost their final game 3-0 at home, and finished at the wrong end of the league, and that after just the briefest of flirtations with the relative 'big boys' of the third division (OK, league one if you must)
Home attendance against Hartlepool last season in League 2? 1,883
Home attendance against Hartlepool 3 years before in League 1? 4,100
Three years ago, Crawley came to BDTBL. Our crowd? 18,000
Our average since then? Pretty much unchanged.
Don't tell me we're one of the most fickle sets of supporters around.
We're right up there with the best of the best.

So, why the perceived lack of support by others?
That's pretty obvious really. Without doubt, 9 years-worth of mis-management, broken hearts and the sense of being butt-f****d by players such as.....actually, I don't even need to name names, has robbed this ultra-loyal fan base of almost every last ounce of enthusiasm and hope....until now!

Now we have a proper fresh start. Early days yes, but so far, the signs are good. I've even dared to allow a little rush of excitement in my heart that reminds me of those times when we have enjoyed great seasons under the likes on DB and NW.

So how might our approach change?

Well, it may be difficult, but letting go of the past would be a start.
I'm old enough to (just!) remember the 74/75 season.
That became my 'bench mark' of what SUFC were all about.
Rightly or wrongly, anything less than that qualifies as a disappointing season for me.
For others, it will be a different successful time that became the aspiration for a good season.
Thing is, we are where we are because we deserve to be, based on the performance of the club and players, oh yes, and a bit of bad luck.
As we have seen, the majority of those players have now either gone or will not feature again, at least not to the pathetic standard they have in the past.
That pervading attitude or dare I say 'spirit' of negativity seems to have been eradicated by 'one of our own'
It really does feel that this particular new broom really has swept clean.

I guess the danger will be not hitting the ground running.
As difficult and unpalatable as it is, I think we're going to have to take on a little of the 'upcoming Crawley' approach rather than the the 'we shouldn't be down here' frustration of the past and try and enjoy the ride for a while even if things don't look too good at first.
CW has an ENORMOUS amount of rebuilding to do.
It might happen next season, it might not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a couple of years.
So, I think it might be time to try and let go of that 'desperate' feeling inside that we just have to get out this year.
That will only lead to more frustration and dare I say it, unreasonable demands on a manager with such a lot to do to reshape us into the type of team we feel we deserve, as the most loyal of supporters.

The past mistakes are none of CW's doing.
Failure to be top 2, even top 6 within the first 2 months will potentially raise thoughts of 'here we go again' but we have to try and see this season as a fresh start and let go of any ideas that CW is a magician with special powers.
Good manager, great manager, out-of-his-depth manager, time will tell.
For now though, the past is the past, my Bladey Bladeness topped up to the max and I'm looking forward to seeing my Sheffield United back next season. My God, I've missed them.

COME ON YOU RED AND WHITE WIZAAAAAARRRDS!!!
Fantastic post.

A rallying call indeed but entirely lacking in substance, punctuated by the nauseatingly parochial "one of our own" with a "Battling Blades" thrown in for good measure.

Have you really no higher aspirations than pining for Ol' Big Nose, Dinosaur Dave and "upanatem" football?

Well we've tried passing it across the back four with the last two managers, doesn't work.

It's a very worthy attitude but if we do finish between 8th and 15th next season then people will be calling for the managers head.

When of course it's the board who should carry the blame, but they won't.
i'm not so sure. it depends how we play. if we give it a right go and are just unlucky then i thing people will back the manager. if we have talks about flying ducks and people being picked for the team who are obviously disinterested at the expense of players who are interested then Wilder will lose the fans quickly (as Adkins found out). We don't ask for much at BDTBL actually. We only ask that the team gives a shit for the shirt. if we get relegated but the team battle their hearts out i don't think anyone will mind.

Time and time again it has been the case that the fans react to what is dished up in front of them on match days and what they see off the pitch.

Crap football tactics, poor levels of fitness, decadent / promiscuous life styles leading to rape charges, drug convictions and boozing players even when we have lost pisses fans off. It's not as if they are PL stars ffs.

Get fit, play entertaining footy, have a passion for the club and live a healthy lifestyle and the fans will respond.

I don't think anybody actually EXPECTS us to get promoted this coming season. It might make it a little bit more enjoyable going to the lane again

I don't think anybody actually EXPECTS us to get promoted this coming season. It might make it a little bit more enjoyable going to the lane again
Really? Every season we have started in this cesspit of a league I expect us to be promoted and next season won't be any different for me.

I do and I would have thought so does Wilder and the board . Again anything less could be deemed as failure .

Winning is enjoyable . Nothing less.

UTB

The S2 view on other sports:

I wish Joe Root would stop all this stylish, highly-skilled batting and simply swipe and heave at every delivery in the hope of slogging it into cow corner.

As for Danny Willett, never mind those fancy chips and pitches. Just hit it as hard; as long; as high as you can and hack your way round Wentworth in 93.

Hamilton, just put your fucking foot down and ram anyone who gets in your way...

Ali, stop that ridiculous dancing and girly jabbing. Just keep swinging aimless haymakers. You're bound to hit him eventually...
Boring, repetitive ,direct ,difficult to look at , negative and stuck in the past
No not hoof but in fact a description of the post you endlessly repeat on here

Well we've tried passing it across the back four with the last two managers, doesn't work.

Yeah but it worked when Danny Wilson had players who could actually play football. We won't get promoted next season because we play short or long. We'll get promoted if we buy good players, play to their strengths, and they actually put some proper effort and organisation into games.

Wilder first needs to make us solid and uncompromising (which previous managers failed to do). That might not be pretty for a while. But then we need to figure out how to play. And for what it's worth I agree with Pinchy that long ball football doesn't guarantee success so is a pointless (arf!) aspiration. Equally, playing with intensity and physicality isn't something that only long ball teams do.

I was against the Wilder appointment. I'm not impressed by his record but his last two seasons have an upward curve. I have warmed to him as a result of the cull and he will have my support. Being a 'Blade' is an entirely neutral factor, however, and will win us not a single point....
What you'll get from Wilder is football how it should be played on the floor , passing and up tempo he believes in it and it will happen.

Utopian football eh. yeah we all want it so don't think your version is better than others Pinchy. You always come on here as though you have a higher understanding of the game in some sort of purist form than others. You totally missed what GreasyChipBeattie was getting at. It is not some Blady Bladeness total way. it is a new starting point including a change in attitude of the fans and many of their perceived right to see a better game and when they don't, they get all high and mighty and get unbelievably raw, nasty and crude.
"they" are a very vocal minority but it reflects bad on all the rest of us as well as the club.
We all want to achieve what Leicester have done. unfortunately the starting point is at this low point and an instant quality football team is rarely achieved and because of this low point most would take anyway of getting out of this crap league. if we evolve as we progress to play a beautiful game then we will all be satisfied.
COYRAWW. We all want to see the Wizards bit.

Excellent OP, but one thing that cannot be questioned is our magnificent support. I must admit, the events at Wembley on Saturday have re-invigorated me. To quote Gore Vidal "It is not enough to succeed. Others must fail." I can't wait fror the new season to start - after all, it can't be any worse than Adkins' pathetic attempts last season. By then, England will have been shown up in the Euros and the proper stuff can begin. But there's something nagging in the back of my mind...,

upload_2016-5-30_10-39-30.png

I agree with most of this Pinchy..No way would I want to see aimless Hoofball,and neither would I like to see play sideways and back...I think Wilder will prove to be better than that,and build a side with mobility and attacking intent along with more passion,hunger,who move the ball quickly,and won't stand for players playing within themselves...We'll have to see how it all pans out,but I'm looking forward to next season under Wilder..think he'll be a breath of fresh air.

Back
Top Bottom