Forcing Hammond out of the club

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Uses for dean hammond

• Door stop

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Captain blade outfit

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Street advertiser, card spinner

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Drought excluder in reception

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • Shouty program guy on kop

Votes: 29 33.7%
  • Other, please state..

Votes: 14 16.3%

• Total voters

He was on the books of a Premier League club last season. He could easily afford to go the next twelve months without earning a penny.

The more you earn, the bigger your outgoings tend to be. What you're saying is that because he's richer than you are, he doesn't need any more money and could survive on much less because you manage to.

Can't stand him, don't like him, expensive, doesn't understand us (called us Sheffield in interviews) and he has precious little to offer playing wise, but I can see the members of the Transfer Board (minus Adkins) quite happily sitting back and letting Hammond take the flak for what was THEIR cock-up.

There would have been negotiations and his rep would try to get the best deal he could for him as that is his job. We presumably had some muppet trying to do the same for us rather less successfully. But was that Brannigan (when the loan was first signed) or the current Transfer Board (when the initial loan was extended)?

Why are people not asking the question - who agreed that clause and do they still have anything to do with transfers?

What a cunt of a mess, nothing good will come from this.

Maybe, if he's still with us come the new season, our new manager who knows a thing about managing players not quite of Premier/Championship standard, will be able to bring the best out of him and derive some benefit from the poor situation.

Oh, no, that sounds a bit tricky, let's just abuse the man instead, that'll make everything ok.

Edit, not having a pop at you LS26BLADE more at the simplistic abuse others have offered

Edit edit, have to say, I came away from watching his début for us thinking I hope he got better when he settled in, he only ever did so very occasionally.

I've had the chance to cool off after the announcement of this deal, I'm willing to give the bloke a chance but he needs to be spectacular to win me round.

Maybe, if he's still with us come the new season, our new manager who knows a thing about managing players not quite of Premier/Championship standard, will be able to bring the best out of him and derive some benefit from the poor situation.

Oh, no, that sounds a bit tricky, let's just abuse the man instead, that'll make everything ok.

Edit, not having a pop at you LS26BLADE more at the simplistic abuse others have offered

Edit edit, have to say, I came away from watching his début for us thinking I hope he got better when he settled in, he only ever did so very occasionally.

Problem is many of us have the gift of sight so can't be fooled :)

The more you earn, the bigger your outgoings tend to be. What you're saying is that because he's richer than you are, he doesn't need any more money and could survive on much less because you manage to.
Absolutely.

But my point is that (almost certainly*) he won't be working for his money, yet he'll take home far more than the vast majority of those effectively paying his wages. He knew the situation and thought that it was acceptable to just take money that he doesn't need. I don't.

* not just that he probably won't be featuring in the first team, but even if he is we already know he doesn't do any work anyway.

If only anyone would have had a video of me ranting at Trevor Birch about giving these sort of contracts out! (I never really get drunk just merry)

I think I did tell him to fook off any players demanding such clauses.

So you think it's ok for him to get free money from the rest of us who actually show up and do our jobs and only earn a fraction of his salary?

He was on the books of a Premier League club last season. He could easily afford to go the next twelve months without earning a penny.
How is it free money? If he doesn't meet his part of the contract we can sack him.

HB , that is the voice of reason and you are correct .

I feel from a fans aspect , it's just frustration with the player , Adkins , board , technical committee and all things blades .

If there wasn't such a big fan fair by Adkins to get the player , and perhaps Adkins not being so economical with the truth about Hammonds performances , and saying us fans didn't appreciate or see the work Hammond does we may be a little more forgiving .

I don't think we are all being The Witch Hunter General , and Hammond is one of say 1/2 a dozen guilty parties in this debacle , but Hammond is the easy target , because we don't know who the others are , and Wilder transfer listed him , which made him appear more guilty .

Just another lesson learnt , but bugger me , we do learn the hard way.

UTB

On paper and in a fantastically ideal world, it isn't technically his fault, but that of club for negotiating the deal.

However, in every other moral and ethical way - it's a greedy, selfish decision from an already super rich bloke.

Perhaps, as a professional footballer (I know, I know) he feels that he has taken a pay cut (supposedly) and still feels he has something to offer. Maybe he was embarrassed by Adkins bigging him up, having played him in a system that did not suit his cureent level... maybe? Maybe?

Conjecture is all the rage.

How is it free money? If he doesn't meet his part of the contract we can sack him.
Free in the sense that he won't be earning it. I'm sure he'll meet his contractual obligations, but having witnessed how he doesn't work on match day and the fact he transfer listed I'm struggling to see what he'll do that will constitute work and therefore earn his money. It's even plausible that he'll be kept away from the first team or possibly the club entirely.

If his contract states he needs to be capable of playing football then maybe we could sack him.

Perhaps, as a professional footballer (I know, I know) he feels that he has taken a pay cut (supposedly) and still feels he has something to offer. Maybe he was embarrassed by Adkins bigging him up, having played him in a system that did not suit his cureent level... maybe? Maybe?

Conjecture is all the rage.
Maybe so, I don't personally think so.

To use an analogy, when you're playing football with your kids (when they're young and not to an age where they're actually better than you), there's nothing stopping you knocking in a screamer with all the power you have, but if you have any decency - you obviously don't, because, well...you just don't.

Perhaps that's more of an extreme analogy but you get the gist.

Hammond probably would have never agreed to the loan in the first place if we hadn't agreed to give him a contract afterwards - it's just tough luck that he was already past it although Adkins should have give him a thorough work out before signing anything.

I think he was looking for leaders he could trust among Cloughs cronies and lickspittles, and who can blame him. I think he knew what he had to work with. Sometimes you just have to be nasty with people.

Been having a few conversations about the fortunate individual that has attached itself to us, firstly I'll address the blind cheek of the whole thing..

How can he knowing the role he played in getting his old pal the sack take up the option he was given, has the man no pride in himself, coming and taking a deal offered by the now sacked manager in a sad glassy eyed moment between two has beens, that appears to be the only option open to him as his performances last season have raised the alarm that he's shot and clearly on the way down in a very rapid manner.. He himself knows he's a shot player, why else would he take the option knowing what's he's going to get on his return, he knows he's nothing but a burden and hate figure..

The fact is this, we're stuck with him, so what happens next??

1. He can't be played in the first team because he'll be booed, this will clearly impact on the rest of the players and affect thier performances, something we definitely need to avoid like the plague now as we look to build a new team under a new manager... If anything total support needs to be applied from day one regardless of what's happening on the pitch, hammonds presence will guarantee negativity in the team and stands, we need a fresh start, he will stink the place out..

2. The bench, can we afford to have him benched for the whole season, and be an unused sub, could he be trusted not to undermine the manager and staff when things go wrong, can we trust him not to be a bad influence on the other younger subs he'd be sat with every weekend, it's a no from me, he'd be poison wouldn't he..

3. Loan him out, providing his agent can find some team stupid enough to want an expensive waste of a squad number we'll still have to pay half...( this is my preferred option, cut the losses)

4. The pay off, that's why he's took the option, and just for that reason alone why we shouldn't pay his contract up, this is what he's wanting and this is what's guaranteeing him legendary Wanker status....

5. He's an expensive door stop, even if we used him as a door stop at the ticket office during busy periods he'd be expensive wouldn't he, then there's the issue that a weight or wedge might outperform him anyway and he'd have to be subbed for the younger more ambitious and mobile dead weight..

Etc....

But how do we get a player out of the club who clearly is not wanted, and here for his last big payday and absolutely nothing else, can the fans do anything constructively to help the club get this loser out the door..?? Cause it needs to happen...

No training, at his age by September he won't be able to kick a ball again professionally and all he will want to do in the twilight of his career is play.

This is an embarrassing post, sorry.

The man has a family, I'm sure if you had no emotional ties to a club you'd do the same! This is bad management, not a bad attitude. The man is getting on, he has two young kids, I find his decision 100% completely understandable. Boardroom negligence & stupidity are to blame, not a family man who obviously wants a viably financial & comfortable future for his family.

Feeling all sorry for a millionaire who's holding us back...oh the humanity..

Yeah, but think of "all the unseen work" he'd do. We can't see it you see, but Adkins would.

It's the unseen work that those sympathising with him are looking forward to, but be careful, you might not see it.... Again!

I must be in a minority that didn't think Hammond was that terrible.
Ability wise, he is certainly no worse than players we have had on similar money over the years....Monty, Collo, Doyle Spring t mind straight away.
Granted he hasn't the energy or pace to run up and down all day, and on occasion he gave the ball away....name me a player who doesn't.

But....in the right system, surrounded by players who won't lose the ball when he's given them it he would be fine, and do a good job of reading the game, putting a foot in and winning the ball.
However, No idea what we are paying him....it's well known we paid 17k a week for his services last season and I doubt we will have managed to knock him down to less than 5k (80% pay cut from his Leicester deal!)
So I'm guessing it's around the 8-10k mark....which IS the issue.
Does this represent value for the club bearing in mind what system and players the manager has to put together to make him a viable member of the squad?

No it bloody doesn't!

So, coupled with the lack of resale value it is a rank poor piece of business by the past manager, simple as that.

There must be literally dozens of players we could get from the youth teams of premier league sides to the upcoming stars of the lower leagues for that kind of money. And that is my issue....not with the player but the feckin clown who brought him here.
Adkins....you are a first rate, grade A pillock.

Wow...just wow....I've read all the comments...

Couple of things, agree it's not hammonds fault to take the offer, let's be honest it's great isn't it, the deal will be for really decent money by normal league one standards.

Yes, I am thinking of his children and family, in thier massive house, with a university education awaiting them from thier successfull millionare footballer dads endeavours (X)... His hard work paid off, well done...

Yes it's Adkins fault.... And the owners who clearly aren't close enough to prevent thier money being squandered..

Finally, why couldn't he say, thanks but no thanks and show a bit of pride for himself, not burden us and hold us back, because he's been at this club about 6 months, he knows how desperate we are for a way out of this league, but instead, he's not given any consideration to how he will hold the club, and it's fans back for his own selfishness.... And that's my gripe...where's the honor, why can't he do the right thing....

Wow...just wow....I've read all the comments...

Couple of things, agree it's not hammonds fault to take the offer, let's be honest it's great isn't it, the deal will be for really decent money by normal league one standards.

Yes, I am thinking of his children and family, in thier massive house, with a university education awaiting them from thier successfull millionare footballer dads endeavours (X)... His hard work paid off, well done...

Yes it's Adkins fault.... And the owners who clearly aren't close enough to prevent thier money being squandered..

Finally, why couldn't he say, thanks but no thanks and show a bit of pride for himself, not burden us and hold us back, because he's been at this club about 6 months, he knows how desperate we are for a way out of this league, but instead, he's not given any consideration to how he will hold the club, and it's fans back for his own selfishness.... And that's my gripe...where's the honor, why can't he do the right thing....

I'm prepared to speculate that Hammond himself won't have signed the deal just to get at us. He will feel he is worth the money and capable enough to play for the club and do the job expected.
A player of his talents and age doesn't make a career in the game without being somewhat thick skinned.

So he will have signed the deal ignoring what we will think, or what the club think. Like anyone else he's doing what's best for him.
And I don't blame him one jot....there are NO loyalties in football, none. It's a business, and players like to make money from it.
The love of the game tends to vanish at about 21!

See that Dean's seeking to cash in on his popularity in Sheffield, by opening up his mansion to the public & showing off his collection of Blades memorabilia.

Museum guide: "Over there in the glass case, is the very boot with which Dean gifted Scunthorpe their first..."

To be fair, his advertising is spot on -

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom