James Hanson

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Talking to Bradford fans in the pub before our game at the Lane last season over the Christmas period and they were scathing about Hanson, saying he only plays well when on tv, and were hoping he wouldn't be in the starting XI.
They were hoping someone would come in for his as he seems to have a good reputation outside of Bradford due to his TV appearances, but week in week out is poor. Just a lump up front with little ability was their opinion.
I'd be underwhelmed with this signing. Particularly when I was hooing Che and Billy would be first choice pairing throughout the season, and we still have Done, DCL and possibly McNulty. I don't think strikers are a priority. Defenders and wingers are.

Categorically not the player we need.

Nor the type of player either.

Limited technically and I for one am sick and tired of paying to see pro footballers who couldn't trap a bag of cement. We have had enough of them in recent years !

UTB

Talking to Bradford fans in the pub before our game at the Lane last season over the Christmas period and they were scathing about Hanson, saying he only plays well when on tv, and were hoping he wouldn't be in the starting XI.
They were hoping someone would come in for his as he seems to have a good reputation outside of Bradford due to his TV appearances, but week in week out is poor. Just a lump up front with little ability was their opinion.
I'd be underwhelmed with this signing. Particularly when I was hooing Che and Billy would be first choice pairing throughout the season, and we still have Done, DCL and possibly McNulty. I don't think strikers are a priority. Defenders and wingers are.

When a ball comes over the top, into the box, we have to hope that Billy can get in first, chest it down, and then either shoot or pass. He is the only one we have that can really do that, unless we get a tall player who can win the ball and lay it off to Billy.

Billy and Che are not great headers, McNulty is though, or was. DCL looks too frail physically, he needs to get a bit of beef on his frame

Assuming that "direct" is a euphemism for Bassett style crude, ugly Hoof then the question must be:

"What was found out and discredited decades ago, everywhere but S2?"
Why does it have to be ugly hoof , why not fast more direct exciting style football ,than boring tippy tappy defenders pissing about with it turning 2 passes into a 30 pass boreathon going nowhere ? How did Leicester win the league btw ? Id say tika taka was found out and discredited 3 years ago ,everywhere but S2.

This is a signing which makes sense to me on one basis - that he will provide a Plan B. We've lacked that for two seasons now; teams have been able to set up to beat us and we've not been able to change approach effectively - last season we ended lumping aimless balls at Sharp (5'9"), Adams (no idea how to hold a ball up) or Sammon (4'2 when jumping). That's why it didn't work.

If Hanson is the new number 9 for us to build a side around then we'll be scrabbling for 6th place again. If he's the change-it-up-off-the-bench option then it's a sensible signing.

All the above is on the proviso we're not paying more than £100k and £2k/week wages.

Categorically not the player we need.

Nor the type of player either.

Limited technically and I for one am sick and tired of paying to see pro footballers who couldn't trap a bag of cement. We have had enough of them in recent years !

UTB
You clearly haven't seen him play. Do you know what league we are in ?

You bumped into the Bradford version of Pinchys gang then ,because every Bradford fan I know ,and it is a lot due to work and neighbours all think hes the best thing to happen to Bradford in years.

He's always looked a danger against us, won bloody everything.

I echo Balham Blade said, great as a Plan B or against frail defenses (Ours springs to mind). Would definitely be ok with this signing.

You clearly haven't seen him play. Do you know what league we are in ?
Er.

Clearly I have.

If you are of the opinion that what we need up top (to go with Sharp we would have to assume) is a slow, technically limited footballer that to his credit wins a few headers and bumps into CDs (a lot), than Hanson may be your man.

I would go with pace as the pre-requisite for Sharps partner next season above all else.

UTB.

Er.

Clearly I have.

If you are of the opinion that what we need up top (to go with Sharp we would have to assume) is a slow, technically limited footballer that to his credit wins a few headers and bumps into CDs (a lot), than Hanson may be your man.

I would go with pace as the pre-requisite for Sharps partner next season above all else.

UTB.
If you have seen him play against us then you will clearly see that analysis is ridiculous.

I'd say the fact that when we have tried to play football we've done it with the wrong managers and the wrong players has had more of an impact on any of our fans thinking we can't be successful and play good football than Bassett's legacy.

You can obviously play your way out of League One but every team who have been successful recently have been good physically, and most have played quite directly at times.

Direct football still works if done correctly with the right players. For us Wednesday have to be the best example of that when they beat us to 2nd in 2012, and more recently Preston - who are doing well in the Championship as well.

It's not called direct if Liverpool , Manchester clubs play that way . It's now the Leicester way - high pressing game.

We need to be able to adapt our style to suit the teams we are playing , weather conditions and pitch conditions .

Unfortunately in league 1 you don't play your football on bowling greens ( except at BDTBL ) to teams stand back to admire your pure total football . You don't have time for a shit before someone clogs you.

Horses for courses . Let's just play a style that wins games , gets us out of this dam league , and forget the niceties .

UTB

Just because we have a squad member who can win a few headers and be aggressive when needed does not suddenly make us Wimbledon circa 1985. It is about options in a squad, and breaking teams down at the Lane. A set piece goal can sometimes be the answer so we need that in our armoury.

Wilder has had success with a quick pressing style, not long ball at Northampton so I would be amazed if he ditched it now.

Obviously we need to greatly improve the quality of player from last year. Sammon gone and Hanson as his direct replacement is a massive step up, so a good solid start in squad rebuilding in my opinion.

Just because we have a squad member who can win a few headers and be aggressive when needed does not suddenly make us Wimbledon circa 1985. It is about options in a squad, and breaking teams down at the Lane. A set piece goal can sometimes be the answer so we need that in our armoury.

Wilder has had success with a quick pressing style, not long ball at Northampton so I would be amazed if he ditched it now.

Obviously we need to greatly improve the quality of player from last year. Sammon gone and Hanson as his direct replacement is a massive step up, so a good solid start in squad rebuilding in my opinion.

Gives you are different option , not to cast in stone a method of play . We need to vary , diversify .

Higdon , Sammon - failed . Perhaps Hanson or equal , just gives us more options and is a tried and tested league 1 player . I will go with Wilders decision. He knows best .

UTB

Hanson would be an excellent signing at this level for us, and what we have been lacking up top for the last 2 or 3 seasons (bar the few weeks when we had O'Grady and Davis). As one other poster has said, if it's Sharp and Hanson up front then we do need fast wide players.

Add in a big dominant centre half and central midfield player with some bite, then we might start getting somewhere. Although with Wilder's cull we're going to need another 2 centre halves too, a left back and a back up left back, back up right-back, another midfield player, a decent right winger and a back up winger, and probably another striker, hopefully once he clears his name that'll be Super Ched.

Don't agree we need a big useless lump up front or a fucking twat that hasn't played football for 4 years.

Can we move on from one season wonder and total fuckwit Evans?

Other than that agree with everything else :)

It's a no from me personally without knowing the other signings, because with the players we have now he's not a fit

We've gone without an effective target man (i don't include Sammon in the bracket effective target man as he was a joke) for the best part of 2 seasons and we're still in the same division. It's been embarrassing to see how easily most oppo defences deal with our powder puff forward line.

It aint rocket science to get out of this division, get a strong spine - dominant centre half, strong tackling midfield player and effective target man ie all the areas where we have been weak in the last 2 seasons - in the first instance to stand up to the physical onslaught you get in this division and then give the rest of the team the right to play football.

Hanson ticks all the boxes for effective target man, powerhouse in the air, holds the ball up well, links in the other forwards and contributes a dozen goals. Ball goes forward to Hanson and sticks, ball goes forward to a Sharp and Adams combo and goes straight back, puts a team under reet pressure to start with. United need to start doing the simple things well, an effective target man is a start, as would be the introduction of dominant centre half and tough tackling midfield player.

We've got nowhere in the last couple of seasons thanks to not being physically strong enough for this division in key areas of the park, hopefully CW will get this sorted <'no fannying'>. The signing of a striker such as Hanson or similar is a move in the right direction.

HoodedClaw, Evans would destroy this division :)

He's crap.

I wouldn't like to think we were starting him every week. I'd love think we could sign him for a "Cheeeeef" role.

Bring back the days when we can switch our play around and, when needed, throw the kitchen sink at teams for 20 minutes

UTB

Don't see why it would be a problem with anyone.

Weakening our rivals by signing the best target man in the league. If you look every 'big' side who's got promoted, with the exception of Wigan arguably, had at least one.

Southampton - Lambert
Norwich - Holt
Charlton - Kermogant
Wendy - COG, Madine
Wolves - Clarke

All big clubs who the other sides risen their game against. They needed to be able to change their style of play to win games, these players allowed them to do that. Whether you like it or not that's what we're seen as still.

Who have we got who can win headers and be a nuisance? Sammon tried, and failed.

So why not sign the best player at this level at doing just that? 10 goals minimum with the right service. No brainer.

I wouldn't like to think we were starting him every week. I'd love think we could sign him for a "Cheeeeef" role.

Bring back the days when we can switch our play around and, when needed, throw the kitchen sink at teams for 20 minutes

UTB

But we shouldn't be paying a fee and a 2 year contract to a player who is going to sit on the bench. Also why would he leave Bradford to sit on our bench?

Hanson would be a terrible partner for Sharp, both of them need to be partnered with players who have pace.

Sharp is captain, so will be first choice striker and last season proved he is the main man up front. So let's sign strikers that will help and not hinder his ability to score goals.

But we shouldn't be paying a fee and a 2 year contract to a player who is going to sit on the bench. Also why would he leave Bradford to sit on our bench?
Have I missed talk of a fee (not read thread fully)?

I'd presumed he was out of contract. I wouldn't be paying a fee.

UTB

Should have signed this lad 2 years ago. Every opposing centre half will see his name on the teamsheet and think "For fuck sake he's going to be trying to knock me from pillar to post from minute one"
That's an advantage before the game has even started. Hope this deal goes through

Have I missed talk of a fee (not read thread fully)?

I'd presumed he was out of contract. I wouldn't be paying a fee.

UTB

Earlier post said he has a year left on his contract and the fee would be £750k (no way we'd pay close to that).

And the obsession continues.

http://www.s24su.com/forum/index.ph...-this-obsession-of-having-a-target-man.40598/

Bergen Blade. Are there any Jostein type big fuckers we can pluck from the Scandinavian Leagues ?

While we are at it, lets all dig out the Fila BJs and Adidas Forest Hills while we are it at and get Blue Monday turned up on the radio.

Fuck me.

UTB.
Wonder if Stoke fans said that when they signed Peter Crouch ,Chelsea when they signed Drogba and West Ham when they signed Andy Carroll (who should be going to the Euros btw) ?

Back
Top Bottom