Connor Brown

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

United need to do the right thing and terminate his contract I am afraid. He cannot fulfill his terms of employment and we cannot be associated with an employee who is not by UK law a rapist, whether we like it or not.

No, they don't 'need to do the right thing', as it's debatable what the 'right thing' actually is. They should await the result of the appeal process and then act on that.

I will be very disappointed in the club if they sack Evans before we know if an appeal will be granted. It will split the fan base whatever they do, so as usual we have a no win situation to deal with.

Let's not forget that if Chedwyn wins an appeal, he is an innocent man - albeit a very lucky and naive one.

I think you're in a minority on here Deadbat. A lot of people feel that the jury got it badly wrong.

I'm amazed that so many people have seen the jury's verdict as the be all and end all of the matter - he is 'guilty as charged', therefore let's all leg it to the stone pile before it's empty.

Our legal system in my view, has been shown to be a laughing stock yet again with this decision, and it is high time that very serious and notoriously 'difficult to legally assess' court cases are dealt with by professionals, not a bunch of amateurs dragged off the street.

A mistake has been made, and regardless of whether he ever plays for SUFC again, I would like to see Ched Evans get aquitted - as he rightly deserves.

Sorry Meister couldn't disagree with you more. Have you heard all the evidence in Court? Those 12 of the Jury did and came back with a Guilty verdict.

Ched Evans is a convicted rapist.

That's it, as far as I'm concerned. SUFC should cancel his contract immediately, and move on. His appeal (and any subsequent acquittal if it happened) is not our concern nor should it be.

12 people also heard the evidence given to them and sent down the Guildford Four and the Birmingham Six.

Just because a jury of 12 people hear a girl say she's been raped, doesn't mean it happened.

Just a interesting aside...if you or anyone had been convicted of rape and sent to prison would your company/business keep you on?

Or, say, if you're an England manager you get to shag anyone within sight and the normal 'gross misconduct' clauses in everybody's contract don't apply. In fact you'll get a multi-million pound extension to your contract.

Anyway, back on topic, it's becoming increasingly obvious that football clubs need to include mentoring and psychological counselling in the brief for young footballers.

Never before have unintelligent and overpaid young blokes had the opportunity to use techological Tourettes such as Twitter and Facebook. These 'media outputs' are just plain evil and allow people to spout the kind of rubbish you'd expect to hear at closing time in a pub.

Apologies if mentioned elsewhere, there's a few threads running...

SUFC statement: http://www.sufc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10418~2745391,00.html

Sheffield United confirmed today that an internal investigation is underway into social media comments made by reserve team player Connor Brown following the verdict in the Ched Evans trial.
A club spokesman said: "The club is aware of a very serious matter regarding comments made through the Twitter account of one of its players. As a result we have launched an inquiry."

And from the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17810574

Sheffield United have launched an inquiry into Twitter comments by a team-mate of Ched Evans after the Wales international was jailed for rape.

The club said it was "aware of a very serious matter" following the posting by reserve team player Connor Brown.
It comes as legal experts expressed concern over the alleged naming of Evans's victim by other Twitter users.
Former Lord Chancellor Lord Falconer said anyone who published the name of a rape victim was committing a crime.

Evans, 23, was jailed for five years on Friday for raping a 19-year-old woman in Rhyl, Denbighshire.
Victims of rape and other sexual assaults are guaranteed the right to lifetime anonymity.
Naming a complainant, regardless of the outcome of the case, is contempt of court and can be punishable with a prison term....

Given that Terry Kennedy has been tweeting his support too (albeit without the attacks on the character of the complainant that Connor Brown made) it might be time for United to reiterate the responsibilities of every single player at the club. Harry Maguire has had [unrelated] issues with Twitter this season too.

That said, there's a poster earlier in this thread calling for Brown to be sacked. That's a complete over-reaction: a written warning would suffice.

Out of interest, what's happened to Brown? I thought he was the next big thing for United - I heard he damaged his knee, has that had an adverse effect?

Given that Terry Kennedy has been tweeting his support too (albeit without the attacks on the character of the complainant that Connor Brown made) it might be time for United to reiterate the responsibilities of every single player at the club. Harry Maguire has had [unrelated] issues with Twitter this season too.

That said, there's a poster earlier in this thread calling for Brown to be sacked. That's a complete over-reaction: a written warning would suffice.

Out of interest, what's happened to Brown? I thought he was the next big thing for United - I heard he damaged his knee, has that had an adverse effect?

I know Kennedy is injured as well mind you that's coz he tweets about it all the time.

Just as a matter of interest, what did this once great country get up to before all and sundry became so self obsessed that they had to tell every man and his dog every time they have a bowel movement?

Did morons actually exist before twatter unleashed them on the world?

Just as a matter of interest, what did this once great country get up to before all and sundry became so self obsessed that they had to tell every man and his dog every time they have a bowel movement?

Yeah they went to watch the MASSIVE play when they were MASSIVE.

Can we not cancel his contract,and distance ourselves publicly.but if there is still some empathy towards ched within the club,then by all means help him behind the scenes.

It couldnt be brought up in court ,because our ridiculous legal system ,from what darren told us.

under the contempt of court act, it is illegal to print anything that may cause a substantial risk of serious prejudice to the adminstration of justice. basically, if it might prejudice a jury you cant print it unless it gets said in court.

now the case is finished, contempt no longer applies unless Ched lodges an appeal. so you might see all manner of things printed now, which will suddenly cease when the appeal is lodged.

you can still be sued for defammation obviously, but if its based on 'facts' from court, you usually have a defence.

I don't think it's necessary to criticise Twitter for the behaviour of its users. For a lot of people Twitter is invaluable. Ask the people of Egypt. In my case reading the tweets from this site is how I get commentary from each of the games and stay in touch with other Blades.

Lots of stupid things are done with beer; doesn't make beer bad. Many stupid things are done with cars, doesn't make the car bad?

I too think from what was reported and seen it was a shock decision and one that on the face of it seems odd BUT I and none of the rest of us were in court for 10 days and did not have the masses if imformation the jury had.

I had the same snippets eveyone else had and did not see and hear everything. I am amazed everyone seems to be an expert on law and convinced the jury got it wrong when they were not in court. The fact is 12 people found him guilty and they had far more information to go on. Maybe they did get it wrong but they had a lot more information to make a decision than any of us.

Deadbat, I do hope that you can accept that sometimes a jury does get it wrong.

Connor Brown has been stupid in the content of his tweets but wouldnt you support your mate if you think he was innocent?

Connor Brown has been stupid in the content of his tweets but wouldnt you support your mate if you think he was innocent?

Yeah totally agree. I got really annoyed today when the rape crisis wallah was on Look North.

Let's get this straight, on a twitter page was shown over the weekend a screen shot which I saw of the said lady's tweets and I believe it was last Oct but could be Nov. The words to the effect of gonna win big were used. That was then. Now I don't know if it was rigged etc but it looked genuine to me. Indeed the shot showed a number of tweets. The reaction has been many fold but in Rhyll there is clearly a degree of unease about Miss X. Interesting that the tweet which revealed her name was from a Man Utd fan, no guessing who Miss X supports!

Now that is from someone who may know her and there were a few others too. In contrast at SUFC we have people who knew Ched. Now its not our business to know whether they believe him or just want to support him, but the frustration and anger is understandable. I just wish the 'wimmin brigade' would just understand and they should do, don't they live on emotions? that the whole thing is emotional for a whole lot of people some quite removed from CE but very involved with SUFC like us, and that by all accounts Miss X is hardly a shrinking violet. That doesn't mean she deserved to be raped for God's sake but some of the stuff emanating suggests she may have not been quite as honest and sweet and innocent as the CPS, Plod and the wimmin brigade wish to make out. She wasn't a nun!

Just because Ched was found guilty doesn't mean, to be blunt, she was telling the truth. Equally as I have posted elsewhere I believe CM and CE used her, but CE got convicted.

According to James Shields Connor Brown has been suspended pending an investigation, into his comments.

SUFC have set a really uneasy precedent, here. Publicly suspending CB for a stupid, possibly unlawful tweet, but not CE, a convicted rapist.

PR disaster, no?

PR whatever..doesn't matter.. only the game on saturday matters.. all of this is just media bullshit

Just a young kid who got a tiny bit carried away. Suppose after a friend gets sent down he's going to be quite upset.

SUFC have set a really uneasy precedent, here. Publicly suspending CB for a stupid, possibly unlawful tweet, but not CE, a convicted rapist.

PR disaster, no?

I suppose the club could suspend CE, but what would be the point, seeing as how he will probably be emptying his piss bucket right about now? Its not like he is in a position to do anything whilst he is inside Doncatraz or wherever.

Quite right that he's suspended, whilst I understand and empathise with his frustrations, he and others in his position need to understand that they are in highly prized profession where rightly or wrongly everything they say or do comes under close scrutiny. They are representatives of Sheffield United Football Club and have responsibilities to them and their public image, as well as the children who wear their names on their shirts.

He needs to realise such a position brings with it restrictions on free speech and behaviour, not faced by others less fortunate, a lesson Ched Evans himself will do well to contemplate.

PR disaster, no?

PR at the club has always been a disaster.

Why break a habit of a lifetime?

PR disaster, no?
I presume (well, hope) they're waiting to find out if he's appealing or not, to then decide between suspending or sacking him. Empty gesture either way, but one that I think needs to be made.

Back
Top Bottom