Quick out of ten

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Howard 7/10. Good blocks in first half from Kane. Could have stood on a stepladder and wouldn't have got that free kick
Flynn 6/10 (edited). He grafts, but runs into nowhere a bit too soon and seems uncomposed in the challenge. Need Brayford in there. Decent cross for Adams first and through ball for Reed
McEverley 6/10. Roughed up a bit fro Kane. Did okay for a young un and looked knackered at the end
Basham 7/10 Its still not his position and he was left wanting in places and tried to get up the pitch at times
Harris 7/10. Erikson and Lamella gave him a bit of a run round
Doyle 4/10. Back to business for him. Clumsy, niggly and definitely not Michael Brown
Baxter 4/10. Better in the second and a telling tackle, but otherwise was fucking pathetic
Scougall 8/10 Put in a reyt shift. To say most of his midfield opponents are agood foot taller than him, he di really well grafting out chances
JCR 7/10 didn't get into the game like the first leg which was a shame
Murphy 10/10. Apart from his chance, he was what I expect from a winger. Fucking brilliant. Dangerous, ran past people and gave them a fucking game,. especially Walker
McNuts 6/10 Feeding off scraps

Higdon 2/10 Was he playing?
Reed 7/10 This lad is quality. Shame about his chance
Adams 8/10 Quality finishing.Great prospect

So proud. Well done fellers. You earned the applause.

Fuck Spurs.

pommpey

Flynn played one of the best crosses into the box for the Adams first I have seen all season.

Brayford is going to have to be sensational to be better than Flynn has been at full back since November

Mcnulty did nowt today, higdon did more in regards to giving their defence something physical to defend against. Flynn worked his arse off and Campbell ryce was anomynous for most of the game. I also thought Baxter was a passenger tonight. I thought everyone gave 100%, a difference in class was the ultimate decider. I'm a very proud blade

That's pretty much how I saw it today. JCR started well in the first half, and I thought he had the beating of Davies - did very little thereafter. Flynn' work for the first goal was superb. Expected much more from Baxter, and that was possibly the poorest I've seen McNulty (who I do rate) play for us.

Reactions: K16
Yes, I am.

Walker has the physicality Flynn could only dream of. Check out Murphy's two black eyes. He is fast, reads the game and gets in on the opponent. I didn't see Flynny do much of that all game. He was particularly poor when we won throws down by the South Stand/Kop End corner and didn't seem to know what to do when he received the ball back. It was always check back, pass back, or try to bustle through for which he lacks the pace or physicality to do.

pommpey

Could not give any UTD player anything less than a 7 tonight.

That said, I do hope there are striking options in the pipeline this window and that Clough is looking at dropping JCR on the right flank rather than Flynn to accommodate Brayford.

UTB

Pompey .

Flynn did everything he was asked to do , and never ever stopped for 90minutes . Deserves 8.5 at least.

Higdon again did everything right when he came on , and definitely gave us more options. The guy played well imo and deserves credit and not knocking by any fan.

Not one player let themselves , supporter or the club down .

UTB

Fair shout mate. I don't think it was an overall 8-9/10. I think some players were distinctly underplaying.

Still proud to be a Blade (or a non Blade wanker, whichever suits) I feel tonights game was brilliant, typical United stuff. It does show where we need the changes - Doyle, Baxter, Higdon, Flynn and with that we will be a force to take the playoffs on.

pommpey

Flynn played one of the best crosses into the box for the Adams first I have seen all season.

Brayford is going to have to be sensational to be better than Flynn has been at full back since November

Harry , just going to say the same . You sold my thunder . We have the two best right backs outside the premiership.

A problem , but a nice problem . Lets hope one of them is not sat on the subs bench, and we have the formation to fit them both in the team.

UTB

Could not give any UTD player anything less than a 7 tonight.

That said, I do hope there are striking options in the pipeline this window and that Clough is looking at dropping JCR on the right flank rather than Flynn to accommodate Brayford.

UTB

I don't think Flynn has the pace or attacking punching power that JCR offers. There is a place for Flynn - its just difficult to see where. Maybe bring Murphs in behind the front two and have Flynn/JCR on opposite wings. We definitely need rid of Doyle and a better forward than Higdon.

pommpey

Fair shout mate. I don't think it was an overall 8-9/10. I think some players were distinctly underplaying.

Still proud to be a Blade (or a non Blade wanker, whichever suits) I feel tonights game was brilliant, typical United stuff. It does show where we need the changes - Doyle, Baxter, Higdon, Flynn and with that we will be a force to take the playoffs on.

pommpey

Good on yer fella.

Let us now get back to the bread and butter league 1 , and carryover the confidence and belief.

Cup game over , focus on the next game for us all.

UTB

I don't know what some people see, I really don't.

Our best player was Murphy
Scougall was good in patches
Higdon and Adams both had a huge impact
Doyle struggled a bit
JCR was quiet
McEveley and Harris were both poor first half, improved in the second

The rest were average. Report over.

Howard 8 Some great saves

Flynn 8 Continues to surprise me at right back. Will challenge for right midfield with JCR from now on
Basham 7,5 Love his enthusiasm. Gets caught out of position sometimes
McEveley 8 Had a lot of running to do tonight against the excellent Kane. Just did enough though on several occasions. Great forward run on the ball.
Harris 8 So many challenges, fantastic energy and although he looks like going in too rashly, he wins the ball most of the time.

JCR 6 We couldn't get him involved enough
Scougall 7 Mixed performance on the ball, and often seems so unlucky, as the ball often don't drop for him. Fantastic work rate though.
Doyle 6 1st half we were struggling to cover enough space. Baxter strolling around meant Doyle had too
much running to do and he was pulled out of position time and time again, forcing him to make desperate challenges, rather than just sweeping up which he did in the first leg. Some great tackles though.
Baxter 7 Poor first half, where he didn't close down enough, nor track runs, nor cover enough space. Excellent last 30 minutes. What a tackle, dictated things and got stuck in.
Murphy 9 Proved that he can do it against Premiership players as well. Superb.

McNulty 5 Struggled all game, though had it tough. Should probably have been taken off sooner.

Subs:

Adams 9 Great composure. Kept Walker behind him in a race for the ball. Think he has a role to play and can give us goals from midfield.
Higdon 7 Put himself about, and gave us something more to aim at.
Reed 7 Think we made a mistake in not starting him. Shame he couldn't get his shot on target when he ran through.

Pretty fair assessment Bergen. I would mark McEveley down to 7 (caught ball-watching a couple of times) and Baxter down to 6 (for a poor first half).
Shame for Flynn that having found a spot in the team, he's about to be ousted by our marquee signing.

Marks for Nigel? I would have to say only 6/10. Reed should have been on at HT, and why did we not use JC-R more? He gave Davies a yard start and still skinned him, but didn't see the ball again after that.

I didn't see much that was poor from Harris. Might have given the ball away a couple of times, but recovered. Coped with the threat of Walker & Lamela pretty well.

If you didn't know what team they played for, how much they got paid, what position they actually play and just looked at their performance at right back tonight, I would have said that Flynn was the superior player both in attack and defence. Can't think of a time Walker got in to a really dangerous position or put in a threatening ball. And over the course of the two legs he's been caught out defensively so many times!

I don't know what some people see, I really don't.

Our best player was Murphy
Scougall was good in patches
Higdon and Adams both had a huge impact
Doyle struggled a bit
JCR was quiet
McEveley and Harris were both poor first half, improved in the second

The rest were average. Report over.

Harris and Flynn were excellent throughout against some outrageous talent.

But everyone is welcome to an opinion... apart from pomps :p

Harris and Flynn were excellent throughout against some outrageous talent.

But everyone is welcome to an opinion... apart from pomps :p

The left side of our defence were give the run around first half. McEveley and Harris are good players but both looked nervous first half, gave the ball away between them a couple of times and were beaten too easily.

Saying that, they were up against some class players and they got to grips with it second half. Not slagging them off, both good players....just giving my honest opinion.

If you didn't know what team they played for, how much they got paid, what position they actually play and just looked at their performance at right back tonight, I would have said that Flynn was the superior player both in attack and defence. Can't think of a time Walker got in to a really dangerous position or put in a threatening ball. And over the course of the two legs he's been caught out defensively so many times!

Walkers job tonight was Murphy. Murphy did bloody marvelous stuff against him as well, first and second half.

It was 'the battle of the crisps' :)

pommpey

The left side of our defence were give the run around first half. McEveley and Harris are good players but both looked nervous first half, gave the ball away between them a couple of times and were beaten too easily.

Saying that, they were up against some class players and they got to grips with it second half. Not slagging them off, both good players....just giving my honest opinion.

Harris was better than Spurs' left back by a country mile.

Just posted elsewhere that tonight's game was a little case study in who can take United forward and who can't.

Howard, Flynn, Bash, Harris, Scougall, Murphy, McNulty, Reed and possibly Che Adams.

Plug our new signings into that lot, find a couple of strikers, and surely to goodness that's a team to develop and rise up the leagues.

The rest are shorter term passengers on the journey.

Just posted elsewhere that tonight's game was a little case study in who can take United forward and who can't.

Howard, Flynn, Bash, Harris, Scougall, Murphy, McNulty, Reed and possibly Che Adams.

Plug our new signings into that lot, find a couple of strikers, and surely to goodness that's a team to develop and rise up the leagues.

The team will rise up when Clough gets that little bit braver and duplicates our 2nd half performances in the first. We really need to go for it more, earlier on. I'm bored of hearing myself say it. :)

UTB

I'd agree fully, but Sparky was poor for me tonight i'm afraid. Not to say he's not got a chance long term. Jose continues to frustrate the tits off me.

I'd agree fully, but Sparky was poor for me tonight i'm afraid. Not to say he's not got a chance long term. Jose continues to frustrate the tits off me.

He's dropped off a bit last few games, but then again he's playing in an unnatural position against two vastly superior defenders in terms of ability and experience.

Baxter should never have started. I'll never understand that choice.

Considering the opposition difficult to find fault tonight. Thought Scougs and Murph were outstanding. Like how we settled in the second half and played some good stuff, thought we would nick it in the end.

If Higdon was to play like he did tonight I would be more than happy, f uck sake give him some credit Pompey, hardly put a foot wrong. Don't know what happened to Jam after first ten minutes just one of those nights for him I suppose. Now, as for Murph, now your talking, superb. Adams is going to be a big player for us in the future. After the way we performed against Soton, tonight was a bit disappointing performance wise, but we still gave them a big scare tonight, it was a big ask over two games, but boy was that close.

Howard 8 Some great saves

Flynn 8 Continues to surprise me at right back. Will challenge for right midfield with JCR from now on
Basham 7,5 Love his enthusiasm. Gets caught out of position sometimes
McEveley 8 Had a lot of running to do tonight against the excellent Kane. Just did enough though on several occasions. Great forward run on the ball.
Harris 8 So many challenges, fantastic energy and although he looks like going in too rashly, he wins the ball most of the time.

JCR 6 We couldn't get him involved enough
Scougall 7 Mixed performance on the ball, and often seems so unlucky, as the ball often don't drop for him. Fantastic work rate though.
Doyle 6 1st half we were struggling to cover enough space. Baxter strolling around meant Doyle had too much running to do and he was pulled out of position time and time again, forcing him to make desperate challenges, rather than just sweeping up which he did in the first leg. Some great tackles though.
Baxter 7 Poor first half, where he didn't close down enough, nor track runs, nor cover enough space. Excellent last 30 minutes. What a tackle, dictated things and got stuck in.
Murphy 9 Proved that he can do it against Premiership players as well. Superb.

McNulty 5 Struggled all game, though had it tough. Should probably have been taken off sooner.

Subs:

Adams 9 Great composure. Kept Walker behind him in a race for the ball. Think he has a role to play and can give us goals from midfield.
Higdon 7 Put himself about, and gave us something more to aim at.
Reed 7 Think we made a mistake in not starting him. Shame he couldn't get his shot on target when he ran through.

No more players ratings now, brilliantly summed up Bergen, agree with every word.

No. The inference was the other way round.

pommpey
I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you saying better players shouldn't be paid more, or are you saying you shouldn't expect a higher paid player to be better?

Generally, better players get paid more. Generally, the higher paid players are better. I don't think this is a surprise to anyone.

Back
Top Bottom