Right, who abducted the real Clough?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

A devastating response...not sure I'll ever recover.

Anyway, back to my original question to you, which you still haven't answered:

Are you saying Clough is right to play McCarthy in central defence & Basham in midfield?

Do you give our manager any credit for his team's superb performance last night?

I'm saying there is a pyramid of knowledge of which Clough sits at the top of and we sit somewhere near the bottom of. Who knows genuinley why he plays players in or out of position and we guess. Injury? Form? Tactics? Yet you look on here and some people make out they are the font of all footballing knowledge.

I know. Embarrassing isn't it? How wrong they are.......

I am.

Are you saying Clough is right to play McCarthy in central defence & Basham in midfield?

You are to oracle round here so I would suggest you tell all. For me there are too many unknowns to state whether he has made the right decision or not. Form, fitness, tactics just for starters. He sees them train day in day out, he is paid to make those decisions and he is qualified to make those decisions. you and I are not.

Drop the sarcasm by the way, it does you a disservice.

Your turn to answer a question because you clearly think Clough is wrong. What makes you better qualified to say whether he is making the right decisions? What do you and people like you know that the rest of us mere mortals don't? I agree he should be questioned but day in, day out I would suggest he knows a shitload more than you and I do about his players.

Do you give our manager any credit for his team's superb performance last night?

Absolutely. I came on here after returning from the game and praised a fantastic performance. If Clough repeats the sensible team selection and more attacking and positive style in the league, I'll back him all the way.

Believe it or not I want Clough to do well - because that means the Blades will be doing well, which is the most important thing. But yesterday apart, the negative style and bizarre team selections this season have rightly led to criticism from me and lots of other fans.

Hopefully we have turned a corner after last night's performance.

You are to oracle round here so I would suggest you tell all. For me there are too many unknowns to state whether he has made the right decision or not. Form, fitness, tactics just for starters. He sees them train day in day out, he is paid to make those decisions and he is qualified to make those decisions. you and I are not.

Drop the sarcasm by the way, it does you a disservice.

Your turn to answer a question because you clearly think Clough is wrong. What makes you better qualified to say whether he is making the right decisions? What do you and people like you know that the rest of us mere mortals don't? I agree he should be questioned but day in, day out I would suggest he knows a shitload more than you and I do about his players.

The sarcasm was uncalled for - apologies.

But I do find the thrust of your earlier comment odd. Every one of us has the right to question Clough's tactics and decisions - the suggestion that he knows best and therefore we should just accept it does not sit right with me. It's been clear to me and thousands of others that our play has been far too negative this season and Clough has compounded this with strange team selections. Last night he got it right, the players were outstanding and the support was, as usual, fantastic.

You never know, perhaps Clough read some of my earlier comments on here and took them on board.:)

Clough should do us all a favour and tell McCarthy to f*** off. Basham and McEverley are two of the best centre-halfs in the league. PLAY THEM TOGETHER!

Clough should do us all a favour and tell McCarthy to f*** off. Basham and McEverley are two of the best centre-halfs in the league. PLAY THEM TOGETHER!

As a pair, you may well be right. Both are resolute defenders who are also comfortable on the ball. It's also right to say each has played much of his career at higher levels.

Do the Bash N' Mac and get the clean sheets back?

last night was the most surreal game of football I've ever seen. Nigel played his part, as his substitutions were the least Nigel Clough type of substitutions I've seen since he took over. I did at one point wonder whether he'd either gone mad or was trying to throw the game!

I doubt Clough does want to and when McCarthy goes back to Palace I think he will go with Mceveley and Basham ,but there must be a clause that McCarthy must play if fit in his loan. We did stop conceding when he arrived to be fair.

We did stop conceding when he arrived to be fair.
Paddy McCarthy's record for us is played 9 games and conceded 9 goals,5 of them in the first 2 matches against Chesterfield and Leyton Orient.The only clean sheets have been Bradford,Crewe and Doncaster(which he was incidently sent off)He's a liability and we shouldn't be bowing down to Neil fucking Warnock and playing him every game he's available for.Some of our fans say we're not a youth club for bringing kids through.Well i say we're not a club for pleasing other managers and whoever else wants to jump on our limited resources,which is what we're doing 'atm'.Grow a pair Blades and send him back.

Which shows how few weve conceded after he settled in ,are you forgetting Colchester and Swindon put 7 past us ? Our back 4 at that time was al over the shop ,and its not bowing down to anyone ,weve agreed a deal when we needed experience at the back and we have suspensions and injuries to think about with loads of games coming up. Basham/maceverley would be my choice too ,but you have to be practical too ,nobody would have predicted that pair 4 weeks ago.

I'm saying there is a pyramid of knowledge of which Clough sits at the top of and we sit somewhere near the bottom of. Who knows genuinley why he plays players in or out of position and we guess. Injury? Form? Tactics? Yet you look on here and some people make out they are the font of all footballing knowledge.
Some people like to question what's going wrong with the club and tactics of a football manager,that's what this forum is for.

Picture this.Steve Clarke is doing a good job at WBA,gets sacked.Alan Irvine is there 'atm' who was wank at the pigs in a league lower.Steve Clarke is now at Reading,a league lower,and a team that used to be managed by Brendan Rodgers who left Reading by mutual consent because of the shite results he was getting.He's now managing Liverpool in a league higher.

The point i'm getting at is that you might think that Clough is the font of all knowledge and us fans know fuck all,but football is a merry go round that me,you or anybody for that matter,that knows anything about football could get involved in with a debate or reasoned opinion in to why Clough for example isn't doing things the way a certain person wants.It really isn't the Da Vinci Code.It's football.

Which shows how few weve conceded after he settled in ,are you forgetting Colchester and Swindon put 7 past us ? Our back 4 at that time was al over the shop ,and its not bowing down to anyone ,weve agreed a deal when we needed experience at the back and we have suspensions and injuries to think about with loads of games coming up. Basham/maceverley would be my choice too ,but you have to be practical too ,nobody would have predicted that pair 4 weeks ago.
Fair enough mate,but you do agree he isn't good enough for us and is wasting a wage surely?

All managers make mistakes with some signings. It appears Clough has made one here but at the time of signing we needed a CB and he appeared to have found an answer, who was to know at that time Bash would hit this form where it appears he could play any role well, probably even as Keeper. personally I think he'd be better in CM but we are blessed there at the moment and he's playing so well why break that up unless it is part of the loan contract for McCarthy.

Some people like to question what's going wrong with the club and tactics of a football manager,that's what this forum is for.

Picture this.Steve Clarke is doing a good job at WBA,gets sacked.Alan Irvine is there 'atm' who was wank at the pigs in a league lower.Steve Clarke is now at Reading,a league lower,and a team that used to be managed by Brendan Rodgers who left Reading by mutual consent because of the shite results he was getting.He's now managing Liverpool in a league higher.

The point i'm getting at is that you might think that Clough is the font of all knowledge and us fans know fuck all,but football is a merry go round that me,you or anybody for that matter,that knows anything about football could get involved in with a debate or reasoned opinion in to why Clough for example isn't doing things the way a certain person wants.It really isn't the Da Vinci Code.It's football.

And if you read my further posts I agree he should be questioned, but as far as I am concerned he is way in credit. 2 Cup Semi Finals in one calendar year (OK just over now) and a team taken from the depths of relegation to sniffing around the play offs. I think most normal people would take that.

And if you read my further posts I agree he should be questioned, but as far as I am concerned he is way in credit. 2 Cup Semi Finals in one calendar year (OK just over now) and a team taken from the depths of relegation to sniffing around the play offs. I think most normal people would take that.

Indisputable in the eyes of any sane, reasonable observer; but this is the backwoods that is S2 and the sound of banjo and guitar is always there in the background.

On the Bashenbauer point, my view is he's a superb CB but his confidence must be sky high at the moment and there's a good chance he'll do a far better job in CM than we've seen from him previously.

Prefer Bash at CB - more effective in a game - and it may increase his chances of scoring since he would come up for set pieces rather than mis-timing his runs from midfield.

One very big positive for me in CM is the Flo Cuvelier come back - clearly not fully match fit (he will get there) but showing the qualities needed - the awareness, touch, passing interplay and positioning of a quality midfielder - he's like getting a new signing now he is getting back from that awful injury. Flo could have a large part to play as to whether Bash remains in the CB slot or back into midfield. Now if Wallace J gets himself fit then there should be no question that Bash should be the main CB.

One other point - If Bash plays regularly at CB then he will surely be the next Captain when Doyler moves on

Don't care who's got him or how much this poll is bollocks it is nice to just enjoy it, thanks Nigel

Sky Sports News Latest Poll

Who will win the Capital One Cup?
  • Chelsea 31%
  • Liverpool 22%
  • Sheffield United 26%
  • Tottenham 21%

The role Basham has been asked to play in CM is one that breaks forward, creates and score goals. It's just not his bag, however much you loved his step over the other night. We don't have enough goals in our midfield as it is without sticking a guy with 5 career goals to his name, none from an attacking central midfield birth. I can't believe after his performances at CB people would like to see him back in midfield.

Shall we stick players like Scougs, Baxter and Cuvellier on the bench to play Bash in midfield? utter madness, and probably what most 'normal' blades think.

Paddy McCarthy's record for us is played 9 games and conceded 9 goals,5 of them in the first 2 matches against Chesterfield and Leyton Orient.The only clean sheets have been Bradford,Crewe and Doncaster(which he was incidently sent off)He's a liability and we shouldn't be bowing down to Neil fucking Warnock and playing him every game he's available for.Some of our fans say we're not a youth club for bringing kids through.Well i say we're not a club for pleasing other managers and whoever else wants to jump on our limited resources,which is what we're doing 'atm'.Grow a pair Blades and send him back.

You're probably right. Cloughie is scared shitless of Warnock who gave him a wedgie at the 125 celebration and threatened to smash his face in if he didn't sign McCarthy and play him every match.

Alternatively, Clough rates McCarthy as a player so asked Warnock to do his old club a favour.
Warnock as a lifelong Blade was happy to oblige as first-team action for McCarthy would suit all parties.

I suspect that Clough will ask Warnock in January if he can extend McCarthy's loan to the end of the season.
We're going to be short of centre-backs when Collins and Butler are offloaded.
McCeveley is our only cover for Harris and may have to move across there sooner or later.

Im certain Nigeybaby knows his best team and he will have been as frustrated as we all are that injury to key players like McNulty have prevented him playing the best XI. He has had 12months to change us from a hit and hope side into one capable of out footballing sides from the prem 4 now having been swept aside purely on merit

I'd take it if i knew the money from the cup Semi's was going to be spent on the playing squad,to improve us and take us to the Championship,that's still not evident to me and is making Clough's job a tougher one than what it should be imo.

As for the initial post,i just don't agree that you should and should not tell people when they can and can't comment on our manager.Just because we won a cup game against a very good side doesn't mean our problems of getting out of our league have been solved,we will find them out in due course,but that shouldn't stop people discussing what formula Clough has worked on or come across,which ever way you want to put it on this forum.

You're probably right. Cloughie is scared shitless of Warnock who gave him a wedgie at the 125 celebration and threatened to smash his face in if he didn't sign McCarthy and play him every match.

Alternatively, Clough rates McCarthy as a player so asked Warnock to do his old club a favour.
Warnock as a lifelong Blade was happy to oblige as first-team action for McCarthy would suit all parties.

I suspect that Clough will ask Warnock in January if he can extend McCarthy's loan to the end of the season.
We're going to be short of centre-backs when Collins and Butler are offloaded.
McCeveley is our only cover for Harris and may have to move across there sooner or later.
Nice bit of sarcasm there,i like it.

Alternatively Warnock is never going to play him in the Premier league because he isn't good enough and thought fuck it,i know what,let Sheff United pay his wage.Ohhh no,that wouldn't ever be the scenario would it,no one would ever do that to our club,not even a Blade himself who got sacked from his beloved club.:rolleyes:

And if we get McCarthy back in January and play him for the rest of the season,i will guarentee we will still be in this league next season,but personally i don't think that will happen,well it can't can it,surely:eek:

As for the initial post,i just don't agree that you should and should not tell people when they can and can't comment on our manager.Just because we won a cup game against a very good side doesn't mean our problems of getting out of our league have been solved,we will find them out in due course,but that shouldn't stop people discussing what formula Clough has worked on or come across,which ever way you want to put it on this forum.

I'm not telling anyone anything apart from my opinion. Do what you want, where you want how you want, thats what the forum is about but likewise I should be able to comment on that myself.

I have said questions should be asked and have to be answered with regards our league form, but as I said, after what Clough has done last season and do far this, 2 cup semi finals and a team that was relegation fodder made into play off contenders, the reality is the bloke clearly knows what he is doing. We also don't know the full and real reason for him doing some of the things he does. Of course he doesn't get it 100% right but wouldn't it be nice if the responsibility was shared between players playing badly, the board not giving 100% and the manager rather than just the usual "Clough hasn't got a clue" that eminates from some quarters?

Alternatively Warnock is never going to play him in the Premier league because he isn't good enough and thought fuck it,i know what,let Sheff United pay his wage.Ohhh no,that wouldn't ever be the scenario would it,no one would ever do that to our club,not even a Blade himself who got sacked from his beloved club.:rolleyes:

Not without Sheffield United and Clough agreeing to sign him, no.
As you’re persisting with pushing your bizarre conspiracy theory, would you mind explaining how Warnock has forced United into signing McCarthy against their will?

Back
Top Bottom