NC Wanting to add`2 or 3 quality signings`

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

gavtheblade

Shitwasp member.
Reaction score
In the summer he said on Radio sheff today he wants to add 2 or 3 `quality signings to the current squad`.
Whether the `current squad`means the likes of Brayford and Davies and Coady already deemed part of the `current squad`? i dont know.
If they are to be deemed part of that,which players would be giving way to be replaced by `the quality additions`?
I think the Goal keeping position is well enough left,Howards proved his worth,with young Long and Willis in the wings.
Harris to me is good enough on the left,as is beard on the right.
Big H is maybe a mover this summer,defo good enough to play a division above.
Collins perhaps has had his time with us,so would like to see replaced.
Murphy and Flynn have stated there place.
Doyle has proved he `can do the captains job`after much critisism,and has been supurb since his suspension.
Coady if he stays has cemented his place as a holding and attacking midfielder,and will be hard to replace if we cant keep hold of him.
That leaves Scougall,Baxter and Mr Porter as our attacking options.

I would like to think we could build our attack around Scouggs,leaving Baxter as back up for him.
Id buy a quality central defender to replace Collins thats for certain.
And obviuosly an out and out striker to play up with Scougs.
Apart from that the squad would be more than ready to mount a top 2 push next term.If the `obvious`players stay.
Thoughts?

2-3 quality signings seems about right. Striker is a must, then possibly another centre back and a midfielder whether that be wide or centrally. Depends if Brandy gets another chance. The squad as it is will be good enough for promotion imo. Adding strength in depth and we could win the league. Exciting times ahead.

2-3 quality signings seems about right. Striker is a must, then possibly another centre back and a midfielder whether that be wide or centrally. Depends if Brandy gets another chance. The squad as it is will be good enough for promotion imo. Adding strength in depth and we could win the league. Exciting times ahead.
I wouldnt entertain brandy to be honest,i dont think he`s a clough sort of player with his mardy arse attitude.

I wouldnt entertain brandy to be honest,i dont think he`s a clough sort of player with his mardy arse attitude.
He has the ability atleast, maybe going out on loan has opened his eyes a little. Seeing us do well could spur him on. wanting to be successful with us rather than elsewhere.

He has the ability atleast, maybe going out on loan has opened his eyes a little. Seeing us do well could spur him on. wanting to be successful with us rather than elsewhere.
I don't think he's good enough and would move him on.

Undecided about Brandy. Is he currently causing ripples of excitement at the moment?

As per new signings, at least 2 quality strikers (if one gets injured then what?), and as we'll struggle to get the likes of Fryatt or Wickham, we should look at someone like Coventry's Wilson, fast, alert, and can score at this level. Plus a centre half with pace, and a midfield player in the style of Michael Brown, who can organise and bark at anyone not giving 100%.

We've also got Cuvelier to come back, who I thought had some ability.

Regarding the GK situation I seem to remember an interview Clough did a while ago saying that they'd have a decision to make regarding who would be first choice. He said neither Howard or Long would want to be left out next season and Willis was an able deputy, so expect one of those to move on. I have my own personal hunch the Long may have signed a pre-contract with a big boy in January....just my own personal hunch mind

I thought in that interview he said that included trying to keep the loanees?
I could be wrong.

There is also Taylor on loan at Partick. He's scored 5 in 15. Guessing he will be sold/released on his return.

Regarding the GK situation I seem to remember an interview Clough did a while ago saying that they'd have a decision to make regarding who would be first choice. He said neither Howard or Long would want to be left out next season and Willis was an able deputy, so expect one of those to move on. I have my own personal hunch the Long may have signed a pre-contract with a big boy in January....just my own personal hunch mind

Clough said about the GK position that either Long or Howard would probably loaned out
I would presume it would be Long

We've had a great few months now, but I think it's important not to fall in love with every current member of the team. We are 12th in the current form table and I don't think 2 or 3 new players will be enough at all when our aim is automatic promotion.
Yes i agree bergen,there is no doubt about it that we have to go for top two ,i liked the post 3 strikers for a reason,thats because we need them so thats the 3 then.I think we all know deep down were not going to keep brayford or coady,brayford will be at champs level and weve all seen coadys interview on a different thread,which he was basically saying this is a stepping stone for better things,lets hope cloughy can change their minds ,but yes depending on who we keep or who goes its definately more 6 or 7 players if we want automatic promotion which has to be priority next season

The problem we have is a ridiculously large squad which Cloughie hasn't yet had chance to cull. We still haven't cleared out legacy and Weir shite.

My first cut suggestion is as follows (I'm not sure on who is and who isn't in contract, I've also added the youngsters that should start to challenge, most of which don't contribute to the SCMP calculation).

The key business for me is retaining four of the loanees and adding two fantastic strikers. Obviously there will be some other changes and hopefully we don't lose any of our best players. He could supplement this squad with other loanees - Cloughie unlike previous managers seems to be good at loanees.

This would make a squad of 26, albeit with 4 youngsters and that is bigger than Cloughie likes to work with. So, some of these will be going out on loan.

Under contract and keep (16)
George Long
George Willis
Harry Maguire
Neill Collins
Stephen McGinn
Stefan Scougall
Jose Baxter
Michael Doyle
Jamie Murphy
Diego De Girolamo
Callum McFadzean
Florent Cuvelier
Otis Khan
Connor Dimaio
Louis Reed
Dom Calvert-Lewin

extend contract (4)
Mark Howard
Terry Kennedy
Bob Harris
Ryan Flynn

Sign or if not further loan (6)
John Brayford
Kieron Freeman
Conor Coady
Ben Davies
2 fantastic new strikers

Release / Transfer list / send back not to return (10)
Jasper Johns
Elliott Whitehouse
Matt Hill
Joe Ironside
Chris Porter
Billy Paynter
Lyle Taylor
Febian Brandy
Darryl Westlake
Sean McGinty

What do you all think ?

I would agree with a few on here, strikers are a must but I do believe if the ched rumours are true we will have potentially a 30+ goals per season striker for nowt so I'd say Brayford and coady would be the most important signings of the summer if at all possible. Whatever happens I genuinely do believe clough will get it right, and if we still have young big head in charge come august I think we're onto a winner, whomever we sign

We've had a great few months now, but I think it's important not to fall in love with every current member of the team. We are 12th in the current form table and I don't think 2 or 3 new players will be enough at all when our aim is automatic promotion.

Well, I ❤️ Scoogs and I don't care who knows it!

I think miller,taylor and brandy if he can change his attitude and thats a big if have alot to offer next season,even if squad players, lets face it like i said in a previous post were not going to keep the two we really want unless cloughy can pull off the best transfer coup in our history ,get freeman in at right back good enough for this division definately then we are going to need a midfielder to fill coadys void someone like frank moussa of coventry then atleast 2 good strikers, my 2 picks would be zoko of stevenage and wilson of coventry strength power,pace and finishing not bad either ,come on blades lets push boat out ,i bet we could do all this for less than 3 million

One player that seems to have been forgotten is the Shrewsbury fullback, Woods is his name if I recall.
After we played them at t'Lane, quite a few commented on how good he looked and how he might be worth considering if Brayford does leave us. Just a thought.

As much as I'd like to see a forward or two from a higher division come here, I think we'll need to look at teams from this division, and the obvious candidate is Wilson from Coventry (agree there Wiz). Of course, maybe our cup run has alerted potential targets that it might be worth coming here. Hope so, as Clough has an eye for a decent player, and I'm sick and tired of watching us sign players who aren't fit to wear the shirt.

I would keep Miller and release/sell Macfadzean ,Baxter,Porter and Long. Add 2 quality strikers like Wilson and Mackie ,and see what happens with the Evans situation ,an additional quality centre half and a physical tall midfielder. Then we have a squad and manager capable of automatic promotion.

UnitedBlade, this is what I have in regards to who is signed/out of contract. If anyone has corrections/additions/can fill in the ?'s let me know.

X=out of contract

2014/2015, 2015/16, 2016/17, 2017/18

Lyle Taylor SIGNED, OPTION, X
Shaun Miller OPTION, X
Chris Porter OPTION, X
Joe Ironside SIGNED, X
Jake Eyre ?
Jahmal Smith ?
Jose Baxter SIGNED, SIGNED, X
De Girolamo SIGNED, X
Florent Cuvelier SIGNED, SIGNED, X
Calvert-Lewin SIGNED, ?
Otis Khan SIGNED, ?
Ryan Flynn OPTION, X
Jamie Murphy SIGNED, SIGNED, X
Febian Brandy SIGNED, OPTION, X
K. McFadzean X
Stefan Scougall SIGNED, SIGNED, SIGNED, X
Stephen McGinn SIGNED, OPTION, X
Michael Doyle SIGNED, X
Connor Dimaio SIGNED, ?
Louis Reed SIGNED, ?
Elliott Whitehouse ?
Ben Whiteman SIGNED, ?
Darryl Westlake SIGNED, X
Jordan Hodder ?
Bob Harris OPTION, X
Matt Hill X
Sean McGinty SIGNED, OPTION, X
Jasper Johns OPTION, X
Harry Maguire SIGNED, X
Neill Collins OPTION, X
Terry Kennedy X
Mark Howard OPTION, X
George Long SIGNED, SIGNED, X
George Willis SIGNED, OPTION, X

If Clough expects 4 of the 5 loanees back (Coady/Brayford/Davies/Freeman), I would sign 2 strikers. A target man with good mobility and a pacey option off the bench to change a game/who could also be used as a winger (possibly already here if Brandy is given another shot) The third signing IMO would be a CB to challenge Collins. If there's a fourth signing, someone to challenge Doyle at defensive mid who also brought some height/size to the midfield. This signing might be needed anyway if Coady doesn't return. Just my thoughts on what should be a very interesting summer.

EDIT: formatting not my specialty but you get the idea.

Last edited:
release miller really? a fully fit miller in form can do damage at this level, perhaps as cover for scougs. but that's my opinion
Yes, we have to stop signing and playing strikers who only score 1 goal every 6 games if we are serious about promotion. Ie Miller and Porter.

I don't think he'd drop down and come back again but Billy Sharp is the type of player we need. I think Callum Wilson is much more likely to go to the Championship. So I don't know the answer but I'm sure Cloughie will.

I'd forgot Davies was a loanee, he would be a good signing. In all honesty, this current squad would only need 4 decent signings to mount a good promotion push. Something mr clough clearly believes in is team spirit and this team shows that in buckets, watching a team give everything for the badge/fans is a privilege, whoever he signs

I am not sure what some of you see in Freeman to be honest. I want Brayford and Coady back

Baxter should become rotational. I think we need a poacher and another player similar to Murphy who can play up top and outwide. baxter can fill a few positions and we need a strong squad.

I would be selling / releasing Porter, Miller, McFadzean, Whitehouse, Johns, McGinty, McGinn, Brandy, Taylor, Ironside.

Unfortunately McFadzean, Whitehouse and Ironside's careers have been ruined by not getting games at 17/18 either under Wilson or on loan somewhere else.

This would allow for full integration of Khan, Dimaio , Calvert Lewin and Reed.

Cuvellier will be injured for most of pre season, however I hope he gets another chance.

Players I would look at for starters. I am sure I will think of more.

Billy Sharp - Free
Lukas Jutkiewicz - Middlesborough striker. We weere in the running befor he joined Bolton on loan.
Luke James - Versatile front man who can play behind and outwide
James Wilson - Manure on loan. very highly rated striker
Winnall - Scunthorpe striker
May - Kilmarnock striker
McKay - Inverness Striker
Gould - Dundee United - Scougall Mark II

We need to go for quality and not quanity. I think the last pre season proved that to us.

Sharp would be a good shout but I think a higher placed club will get him, if only he was doing porridge then I'd say we'd stand a chance

I would keep Miller and release/sell Macfadzean ,Baxter,Porter and Long. Add 2 quality strikers like Wilson and Mackie ,and see what happens with the Evans situation ,an additional quality centre half and a physical tall midfielder. Then we have a squad and manager capable of automatic promotion.

I can't see us keeping Miller ahead of Baxter, though I would agree Baxter is in a perilous position. I would consider loaning Long but certainly not selling him yet.

The rest I agree with, but Mackie is well out of our reach. He would tear up this division but having played for QPR and Forest he'll be on immense wages.

Back
Top Bottom