Another nail in the PL coffin...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Overthehills

Give Quiche A Chance....
Reaction score
It seems that rules have now been changed in order to allow domestic (Premier League) fixtures to be held abroad, in a move that is apparently being described as groundbreaking....

I mean listen, I don't truly believe this would pose a massive problem for us (even as a Premier League team). This move would be of more interest to the big 6 of the league, as they look to cash in on the global markets. Little Sheffield United hold little neutral interest within the Uk, never mind the global market. You are more likely to see a Man City vs Liverpool game played in some 100k plus American stadium, in the same respect that they tried to take a domestic Barca v Real Madrid game out out to Miami a couple of years back.

It does however further aid that financial gulf between clubs like them and clubs like us! It is almost as if the Tory government have taken charge of the Premier League in this day and age.... They adjust policy in favour of the leading stakeholders and aim to make the rich, richer.... and the poor, poorer.....

Whilst I fear for the old fashioned football fans of these 'elite' clubs, they need to let them go and do their own thing in a European super league. Of course they won't allow this because they need to protect the financial integrity of the Premier League. They don't want to de-value their own brand.

Likewise you wouldn't see many of the smaller clubs voting against Premier League qualification and participation, because whilst inevitably it generally leads to a season of being whipping boys, the financial incentives pay for the clubs running for a few seasons... it's a no brainer.

I don't know the solution, but I do know that our recent flirts with the top side have somewhat ruined my passion for the sport as a whole. I will always love Sheffield United football club with all my heart, but where is the happy medium? What do we sacrifice?... Our integrity? The future financial security of the club?....

A stint in the Premier League was once seen as a cup final every week.. a fantastic challenge and opportunity! Now it's just a chore! It's ridiculous!.... the enjoyment well and truly zapped. And it seems they are determined to bow down to the big boys again in order to try and keep the financial integrity of the league in tact!

It's bullshit.

Yep, doubt whether lil old Sheffield United would be a big draw in Vegas! The way I feel about the PL these days though, think I'd be very happy if somebody said.......... hey, you don't have to bother with that Tuedsay night in January game against Luton. Just watch it on the tele cos it's been moved from the Lane to Kabul.

I could just see the ghost of Shred though............. half time stood on the concourse back of the kop, notepad and pencil in hand saying....... "reight, what was that again? How many seats do you want on the coach?" No doubt he'd still find a boozer that did after bird there too!

It seems that rules have now been changed in order to allow domestic (Premier League) fixtures to be held abroad, in a move that is apparently being described as groundbreaking....

I mean listen, I don't truly believe this would pose a massive problem for us (even as a Premier League team). This move would be of more interest to the big 6 of the league, as they look to cash in on the global markets. Little Sheffield United hold little neutral interest within the Uk, never mind the global market. You are more likely to see a Man City vs Liverpool game played in some 100k plus American stadium, in the same respect that they tried to take a domestic Barca v Real Madrid game out out to Miami a couple of years back.

It does however further aid that financial gulf between clubs like them and clubs like us! It is almost as if the Tory government have taken charge of the Premier League in this day and age.... They adjust policy in favour of the leading stakeholders and aim to make the rich, richer.... and the poor, poorer.....

Whilst I fear for the old fashioned football fans of these 'elite' clubs, they need to let them go and do their own thing in a European super league. Of course they won't allow this because they need to protect the financial integrity of the Premier League. They don't want to de-value their own brand.

Likewise you wouldn't see many of the smaller clubs voting against Premier League qualification and participation, because whilst inevitably it generally leads to a season of being whipping boys, the financial incentives pay for the clubs running for a few seasons... it's a no brainer.

I don't know the solution, but I do know that our recent flirts with the top side have somewhat ruined my passion for the sport as a whole. I will always love Sheffield United football club with all my heart, but where is the happy medium? What do we sacrifice?... Our integrity? The future financial security of the club?....

A stint in the Premier League was once seen as a cup final every week.. a fantastic challenge and opportunity! Now it's just a chore! It's ridiculous!.... the enjoyment well and truly zapped. And it seems they are determined to bow down to the big boys again in order to try and keep the financial integrity of the league in tact!

It's bullshit.
There are examples of clubs who do compete in the Prem and IMO we could be there with them .

Of course we need to attract a richer owner but we also need a much better infrastructure in terms of scouting , fitness development , health care , player management etc . It can be done - its just that we have an owner who had no plan and no will to implement one other than abdicate any positive forward thinking leadership, and as a consequence let the club stumble into crisis in all the above areas.

Yes it's been terrible but we have somewhat self inflicted our own outcomes.

It can be done and is being done - but we have to think and act like a Prem club , even without the resources of the top 6/7...but we haven't and don't.

There are examples of clubs who do compete in the Prem and IMO we could be there with them .

Of course we need to attract a richer owner but we also need a much better infrastructure in terms of scouting , fitness development , health care , player management etc . It can be done - its just that we have an owner who had no plan and no will to implement one other than abdicate any positive forward thinking leadership, and as a consequence let the club stumble into crisis in all the above areas.

Yes it's been terrible but we have somewhat self inflicted our own outcomes.

It can be done and is being done - but we have to think and act like a Prem club , even without the resources of the top 6/7...but we haven't and don't.

If we’d have competed for the bulk of the season like Luton (and in the manner of our last three games) rather than be humiliated most weeks, many would have a completely different mindset i.e go down, strengthen and come up wiser and more equipped to stay up.

I can see a end of season lucrative "playoff" style tournament being setup between the top 7 teams, similar to NFL and it being held in Saudi or the US to decide some "Championship". 6 guaranteed games held Sunday, Wednesday, Sunday at the end of the "regular season" as a curtain call, after the FA Cup final.
I doubt they'd dare link European places to it but I can quite easily see that is where it starts.

Ah yes a potentially extra few billion pounds nail

The grumpiness from some blades because we are shit is pathetic.

The Premier league is a massive success story and is essentially the European super league in terms of wealth
Depends what you call a success story.
If continuing down the Disney route, morphing it into something it never was, in the pursuit of the dollar, is success maybe.

That isn't why I go to football.

The Premier league is a massive success story and is essentially the European super league in terms of wealth
you’d be alreight with the blades doing so well that you can’t watch them at Bramall Lane any more because they’re playing in the US?

Depends what you call a success story.
If continuing down the Disney route, morphing it into something it never was, in the pursuit of the dollar, is success maybe.

That isn't why I go to football.

For many it's shit. For many in a global sense it's good news. There is a reason so many US and overseas groups are buying into the league. They see the growth that could come. Chelsea's owners have spent billions and they are in it to make a profit!
you’d be alreight with the blades doing so well that you can’t watch them at Bramall Lane any more because they’re playing in the US?
No but it's not a nail in the coffin. Far from it. That's just childish sulking because we have been crap

It's bullshit.
The solution is simple. Play league games as per fixtures, at home stadia of the home side which means in home country.

It doesn’t need to be made any more complicated than that.

The integrity of the game is already being damaged by constant and complicated rule changes and anti-competitive changes as well as adhering to the television schedules and of course VAR. We’re seeing onfield and off field issues, clubs gambling their futures for the present and the only people that lose out are the fans.

The sooner a regulator with actual powers comes in with the focus on progression of the game and protection of clubs for fans, the better

This change may not affect Sheffield United, but it affects the game and its integrity

Football used to be an emotional sport, be they good or bad. Unfortunately VAR has spoilt that.

the other ridiculous changes re playing games abroad, ball boys not allowed to give the ball directly to players etc. are indications of controlling and changing the game as we know it being and it being spoilt by business men who are driven by profit and not enjoyment.

I can see a end of season lucrative "playoff" style tournament being setup between the top 7 teams, similar to NFL and it being held in Saudi or the US to decide some "Championship". 6 guaranteed games held Sunday, Wednesday, Sunday at the end of the "regular season" as a curtain call, after the FA Cup final.
I doubt they'd dare link European places to it but I can quite easily see that is where it starts.
What an awful thought. I enjoy the last game of the season and the run in - top and bottom. Doing something like that would be terrible

As good or bad as it is. If you stand still. Then you get left behind.
People in English only live English football because of the tradition. People abroad couldn't really care less. They want drama and excitement. (Wether good or bad) And the EPL delivers this in spades and more.
Now as I've already said, alot of Americans and state actors are buying into the EPL because they can see it's actually under valued. They invest because they are playing the medium to long game. Huge global £££££. The EPL themselves also need to keep themselves top of the pile. Who makes the decisions in the main? The 20 clubs do....

No but it's not a nail in the coffin. Far from it. That's just childish sulking because we have been crap
Whilst there is always some hypocrisy based on how well we do or don't in the PL, i don't see this as childish sulking at all.

After watching us for over 40 years and achieve 8 top flight seasons and a few cup semi finals, I'd like to see us do something more before my time is done.

Staying in the PL for a few years would suffice as winning anything gets more unlikely by the day.

However, if the PL decides to go down some Americanised route then my desire will fade markedly. That's not being mardy, it's simply not the game many of us fell in love with.

Money talks yes but you don't have to like change in a sport just based on milking it dry.

Can't remember what position the bloke held, but listened to an interview with an American the day after the Super Bowl comparing the NFL and PL.

He said he was staggered the PL didn't have end of season play offs in order to make more money.

What an awful thought. I enjoy the last game of the season and the run in - top and bottom. Doing something like that would be terrible
I'm not in any way proposing it, it's just what I can easily see happening.

On the plus side, our last game of the season will always be our last regular season game, if that makes you feel any better.

It will be interesting to see if this happened, whether the likes of Pep and Klopp who constantly moan about the number of games played would be moaning about dragging their teams to America on a Saturday and then back again for a jet-lagged fixture with the likes of us the following Tuesday!

I remember this plan being floated 18 years ago when we were in the Premier League.

I still think we won’t see a League match in the USA for another 18 years.

The Premier League can do what it wants so long as the majority of teams vote in favour, which they will always do as it involves earning money.

Look at FFP. Everton and Forest have been docked points. Other clubs are now worried so the Premier League clubs want to increase the expenditure to avoid points deductions. They'll all vote in favour. This is currently being proposed and why West Ham recently came out in support of FFP changes.

The FA can't do anything to stop it. It's a broken league that I despise as it's corrupt from top to bottom. It doesn't care about the damage it does to the football league and doesn't care about any teams who get promoted, until they secure themselves in tbe division and become part of the top flight inner circle.

It will be interesting to see if this happened, whether the likes of Pep and Klopp who constantly moan about the number of games played would be moaning about dragging their teams to America on a Saturday and then back again for a jet-lagged fixture with the likes of us the following Tuesday!
They’ll reduce the number of teams in the premier league to make up for it.

By the way I don't think the overseas games will ever happen. Just the option of them potentially means a carrot can be dangled at overseas broadcasters.

NFL doesn't have any serious plans for a UK side for many logistical reasons but if it says "well maybe one day...." It keeps a fan base interested

Won’t be a problem for the biggies. By then squads will be 35 strong and they will have two full teams made up of quality players and will be able to complete the Tuesday fixture with the ones that didn’t go to the Saturday fixture.

I can see in my lifetime, walking away from the club that I have supported since a very small child and followed in person since 1981. Nothing to do with the club itself but more to do with the competitions it is involved with.
Hopefully the game will survive at a lower level and I'll still be able to get my fix of live football because I am getting further and further detached from the game at this level. I have no interest in watching other fixtures than that of my own team which is very unusual and to be honest with you, makes me very sad. Football, and supporting my team has been a huge part of my life but the relationship is on the rocks.

Can't remember what position the bloke held, but listened to an interview with an American the day after the Super Bowl comparing the NFL and PL.

He said he was staggered the PL didn't have end of season play offs in order to make more money.
That’s a ridiculous comparison though - the NFL regular season is incredibly short and not all teams play each other. You could easily flip that argument and say why don’t the NFL play for 9 months like the EPL instead of 6 months (if you happen to make the post season), have more games and make more $$$

I remember this plan being floated 18 years ago when we were in the Premier League.

I still think we won’t see a League match in the USA for another 18 years.

Ahhh the notorious 39th game.
Back then there "probably" weren't as many foreign owned clubs as there are now.
If you were an owner/chairman of a club then surely your job is to maximise your investment return.

The play off/play off esque concept has been trialled in other sports to limited success. The EIHL has a play off mirroring the NHL. It's nowhere near as well supported as the league. Steelers fans wouldn't swap the league title for it. The TMC/WTF in tennis has nowhere near the prestige of the slams. Pique's mobs total
revolution (degeneration?) of the Davis Cup has been totally rejected by tennis fans - despite a strong north American presence in the sport. Masters Snooker (and various other tournaments) have failed to overcome the traditional tournaments. Where is the ground swell of support for a Premier League play offs? There isn't one.

The success of the Premier League has largely been down to the traditional league system umbilical cord. It's proved itself the best and most lucrative in the world - the definitive world football culture. The biggest challenges it faces in increasing its growth come from those that don't understand the reasons for its success, totally mistaking the nature and uniqueness of English football. Most clubs in it are barely marketed at all which is a pretty huge oversight. It might be too late to save them from themselves which should provide some entertainment in the future.They had a golden goose and they began poisoning it a while ago.

But who gives a fuck about wealth of the league? Football is for the fans. Liverpool and Man Utd could still have their big-cheese rivalry with a two teams of English cloggers playing long ball, for example.

Back
Top Bottom