Time is Up

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

JayGreen17

Reaction score
Time is up for these guys , they’ve been great, but they need to bow out on a high, we’re going to get slaughtered next year if these are anywhere near the team, Hecky seems to be intelligent so let’s see if he realises we can’t carry these players an that their wages could be used on better quality.

Fleck
McBurnie
Stevens
Basham
Sharp
Osborne

We cannot afford sentiment.

Time is up for these guys , they’ve been great, but they need to bow out on a high, we’re going to get slaughtered next year if these are anywhere near the team, Hecky seems to be intelligent so let’s see if he realises we can’t carry these players an that their wages could be used on better quality.

Fleck
McBurnie
Stevens
Basham
Sharp
Osborne

We're stuck with Bash for another year.
McB I've been undecided, but tonight reminded me how useless he really is.

Fleck
McBurnie
Stevens
Basham
Sharp
Osborne

Understand what you mean.
However some of those players have fantastic character, will to win and influence in the dressing room and around the training pitch.
They are exactly the type of characters you want in a battle to survive relegation, however accept that they just don't have the physical ability to keep up.

The only one their I'm on the fence about keeping is McBurnie.
Accept that even by Championship standard he doesn't have enough quality.
However it wouldn't surprise me if he performs better at PL level than he does in the Championship.
The reason is because McBurnie is a never say die character, he's a great character that tends to rise to any challenge when put under pressure.
Apparently he's also upbeat and great to have around the training ground and changing room.

I suppose it depends how much we're offering these players.
McBurnie won't get much interest from other clubs, so there's no urgency to offer him big money.
Think we should keep him, at worse he'll make a good sub option but don't offer him big money.

I think it entirely depends on what budget hecky has.

The lads you name are all quite big characters too which is why hecky also wants to keep them all around.

I suspect it won't be all because I assume we will sign some players too.

If we had a budget a bit like last time up we can look at what peeps are saying but sounds like we don't currently.

This might change if ownership changes but sounds like prince is not putting owt in up front anymore.

However some of those players have fantastic character, will to win and influence in the dressing room and around the training pitch.
They are exactly the type of characters you want in a battle to survive relegation, however accept that they just don't have the physical ability to keep up.

However it wouldn't surprise me if he performs better at PL level than he does in the Championship.
The reason is because McBurnie is a never say die character, he's a great character that tends to rise to any challenge when put under pressure.
Apparently he's also upbeat and great to have around the training ground and changing room.
I’d maybe jeep Billy in a coaching role maybe but not player.
We can’t be keeping players just because they’re good to have around or good in the dressing room, we haven’t got the wages to be pissing money away on that.
We need better quality players, where there going to come from with no money is anybody’s guess.

Sentiment isn’t going to keep us in the premier league.

I suppose it depends how much we're offering these players.
McBurnie won't get much interest from other clubs, so there's no urgency to offer him big money.
Think we should keep him, at worse he'll make a good sub option but don't offer him big money.
Mcburnie has been getting closer to how he was at Swansea.

Think you are daft to say he isn't champ quality. He very much is.
The step up remains to be seen however our first season back up he had some decent performances.
Mcburnie wasn't so good 2nd prem season and then got himself proper out of shape. Main reason he has done well this season is he's fitter and so can be sharper.

McBurnie gets one more season for me. Exercise the option and see how he goes. He’s scored important goals for us in the past and out of the striker options available, he’s probably the second best we have.

It really is time for the old old guard to move on. I think Norwood just about stays as well as Baldock but both need replacing as soon as we can.

The fact Hecky had already stated he wants to keep them all around suggests to me, worryingly, that we’re not going to have much to spend to improve the squad.

Mcburnie has been getting closer to how he was at Swansea.

Think you are daft to say he isn't champ quality. He very much is.
The step up remains to be seen however our first season back up he had some decent performances.
Mcburnie wasn't so good 2nd prem season and then got himself proper out of shape. Main reason he has done well this season is he's fitter and so can be sharper.
All in all over the four seasons he’s been with us he’s got to be the worst waste of £18 million i’ve ever seen.

Fleck
McBurnie
Stevens
Basham
Sharp
Osborne

We can't afford to replace them all either

tremendous return to old fashioned dead rubber game where players pull out party pieces,
The game of statues second hals was stunning, and Norwood , who was unfindable at hide and seek
Id forgotten how these matches dont matter a jot

Tonight isn't the night to assess anyone but I do agree that a number should be released in my view. When you consider there's the limit of 25 players in a squad that's two per position just about and if we're taking Fleck, Stevens, Billy and Norwood as well as Bash who is still under contract then I'd be worried about the squad quality quite frankly. Great servants, superb in their day but we need better quality. I'd still offer a contract to McBurnie for all the positive reasons others have said and I think as a sub he could have a positive role, especially defensively. But the rest I would release. I also have doubts on whether we should retain Lowe and Bogle to be honest, neither is good enough for the PL in my view, but again if they go as well then there's a lot of new players needed there and we don't have the budget and nor is it wise to change the squad drastically but I still think releasing the older ones out of contract is required.

Last edited:
Wa

Fleck
McBurnie
Stevens
Basham
Sharp
Osborne

We cannot afford sentiment
If this game didn’t give Hecky any ideas about his retained list…nothing will.

If we’re being right Robinsons not good enough , he’s got the heart of a lion and tries his nads off but you can see loads of yellow and some red cards if he plays regular

There will be changes especially midfield with McAtee and Doyle going we can't have a tortoise midfield of Fleck and Norwood time has caught up to them. The big lead that was dropping down the toilet was only stopped as fans were asking Hecky to change it. He brought on the two Manc lads to replace Fleck and Norwood ,the pace picked up the slide stopped in the Cup and points began to build again, enough to get promotion

Wa

If this game didn’t give Hecky any ideas about his retained list…nothing will.

McBurnie can still go. I kept changing my mind on him but then I think about how much we paid and his most valuable skill is defending our box.

When you pay £17 million for a striker I expect more than that. 19 goals in over 120 appearances doesn't quite cut the mustard at this level.

Osborn and McBurnie can contribute being part of the squad. The occasional start, but mainly on the bench.

I can’t see us “doing a Forest” and signing a complete new squad, so we’re going to have to keep some of the current team.

Fleck
McBurnie
Stevens
Basham
Sharp
Osborne

Yeah, let's bin the twats off now, and we'll also save a few quid at the promotion party.
Nice one.

If we’re being right Robinsons not good enough , he’s got the heart of a lion and tries his nads off but you can see loads of yellow and some red cards if he plays regular
I would agree with that sadly, definitely have him as back up but of course back up can end up playing a lot of games if injuries happen. I would also add Baldock going forwards isn't good enough for the PL, Lowe just not good enough full stop, but these are lesser problems in comparison to other areas quite frankly! But saying all that we've got some very good players and a spine that is there to build on, providing they stay!

I’d keep mcburnie… sorted himself out after that clusterfuck of a relegation season, strong characters who give a toss will be needed next season..

We won’t have shitloads of money, we won’t do a forest and use a scattergun transfer approach.

They ended up bringing Jonjo Shelvey in, dropped, spat dummy out and now banished

I can't get on board with the "Great characters that you would want in a relegation battle" - It didn't do us much good last time round when we stank the Premier League out. No room for sentiment now I'm afraid.

✅
Wes
Robinson
Osborn
Norwood
McBurnie

❌
Stevens
JOC
Coulibaly
Fleck
Sharp

At the end of the day, we ain't going to spend loads or bring loads in so we need to keep at least half of the 'out of contract' players. Although they would only be squad players for me.

Back
Top Bottom