Media Bias

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think part of is the fact that only we may slag us off. There can be a thread on here saying how garbage we played in a game, but if the media or someone not affiliated to United says it, we think they're being biased and picking on us.

I think Walkers attitude to many United callers in the past ( and his backing of sacked managers on two occasions) is a lot of the reason many see a pro pig bias at RS.

While Staton gets excited when they score I think generally he's very fair. The others are all okay as well. Much of it is down to repeat callers.

The Star however........

He was defending Blackwell for quite some time.

Hi remember him defending him when fans were calling for his head at the back of the 09-10 season but the local press generally don't go along with fans when they call for a manager's head. I didn't realise there was anything more than that to it.

The Star has chosen a path of deliberate shit-stirring in order to compensate for the fact that it is now irrelevent, like all local print media is.
The obese heart attack candidate Darren Burke is the latest in a long line of shit-strring "journalists". Further proof that the Star needs to go out of business as soon as possible.

I don't listen the Radio Sheffield because it's shit. All I know is that in the Seth Bennett era the Pigs were convinced there was a bias against them.

The Star is wank. Lazy journalism as shown day after day bringing up old articles as if it's new news. "SAVE OUR OWLS" did it for me.That wasn't a problem at the time, but when United were scrapping to survive to stay out of the fourth division.............nothing!
The case should be closed on 'that' issue alone!!!!!

Save Our Pigs....... bastards :mad:

That's just it though. We don't. Nobody gives a shit about us.
So why are wendy obsessed with all things blades ? Nearly every day i see a new pic that a pig made, some blades pic with a wendy 'joke' or a pig pic with a reference to us. The constant bating and trolling of blades on forums to get a reaction, yet i cannot see the reverse ! The shit they come out with every day about bigger this, massive that.(deluded). The constant bullshit rumours started by a pig (always). When we were in the championship and them in league 1, yes blades took the piss sometimes, me included, but in the current situation, it is just relentless and boring, it is an absolute obsession with us. The so called impartial journalists who are wendy's, but they are allowed to write infactual and often incorrect stories about us....you get my drift. I would have to disagree with you pal, it is just constant and we blades just do not go to these lengths, because ultimately, we have rivalry and they have an obsession, we are not as bothered and mostly just laugh about how pathetic it all is. UTB

So why are wendy obsessed with all things blades ? Nearly every day i see a new pic that a pig made, some blades pic with a wendy 'joke' or a pig pic with a reference to us. The constant bating and trolling of blades on forums to get a reaction, yet i cannot see the reverse ! The shit they come out with every day about bigger this, massive that.(deluded). The constant bullshit rumours started by a pig (always). When we were in the championship and them in league 1, yes blades took the piss sometimes, me included, but in the current situation, it is just relentless and boring, it is an absolute obsession with us. The so called impartial journalists who are wendy's, but they are allowed to write infactual and often incorrect stories about us....you get my drift. I would have to disagree with you pal, it is just constant and we blades just do not go to these lengths, because ultimately, we have rivalry and they have an obsession, we are not as bothered and mostly just laugh about how pathetic it all is. UTB

Why are you obsessed with Wednesday? It works both ways.

The Wednesday stuff is fine though because they're our rivals. It's the notion that somehow everybody in the footballing world has it in for SUFC that's just bloody daft.

Why would anyone outside South Yorkshire care about us or hate us? The answer is they wouldn't and they don't.

One should not confuse hostility with bias. Radio Sheff devotes far more airtime to the Pigs than us and always has. Count the number of interviews and length thereof over say a month. You'll see. Exactly the same applies to the Star in terms of column inches, main headlines and photos. It doesn't mean they hate us but it is bias, plain and simple. That's unarguable.

The Star has chosen a path of deliberate shit-stirring in order to compensate for the fact that it is now irrelevent, like all local print media is.
The obese heart attack candidate Darren Burke is the latest in a long line of shit-strring "journalists". Further proof that the Star needs to go out of business as soon as possible.

I don't listen the Radio Sheffield because it's shit. All I know is that in the Seth Bennett era the Pigs were convinced there was a bias against them.

Seth sometimes pops up as a pundit on the World Football phone in and is usually fairly decent in what he has to say.

The Wednesday stuff is fine though because they're our rivals. It's the notion that somehow everybody in the footballing world has it in for SUFC that's just bloody daft.

Why would anyone outside South Yorkshire care about us or hate us? The answer is they wouldn't and they don't.

We are talking about bias within our own city, I think most of us can grasp the fact that if you are not in the Premier League or are called L**ds United then the national press don't give a toss.

In the last few weeks on here alone, I've seen all of these mooted as media organisations that are biased against United:
  • Radio Sheffield
  • Sheffield Star
  • Sheffield Telegraph
  • Goal Rush on Channel 5 (!)
In the past apparently the Football League Show on the BBC ALSO hated United. Which begs the question: do you seriously think local newspapers, radio stations and national TV shows are all going to be biased against us? I don't know if you're all suffering from collective paranoia or what, but it seems extremely unlikely to me.
I don't believe that they're biased but the star is just shit.

Radio Sheffield are pretty good on the whole and now that they have a better team on football heaven they get more involved in the banter instead of just shutting people down. They need to stop entertaining that idiot Blade though as he puts people off listening

The star is ridiculous. That 'best Sheffield song' vote is laughable. Neither football song should be listed but they've done it as they know they'll generate loads of clicks from morons up S6.... And some from S2.
The contrasting threads on the two forums are funny, us laughing about the vote, them trying to get everyone to vote.

RS aren't biased, they're just shit. I think blades fans have just got bored of calling in now so it seems biased as there are more Pigs and Millers.

I don't believe that they're biased but the star is just shit.

Radio Sheffield are pretty good on the whole and now that they have a better team on football heaven they get more involved in the banter instead of just shutting people down. They need to stop entertaining that idiot Blade though as he puts people off listening

Like I said in the thread the other week. The RS phone in would be great if they had proper callers and not pander to Brian The Blade and Mark The Pitsmoor Pillock.

I dunno.......why don't you ask Coventry Fans with their random (and seemingly on-going) little whinge?
Point in case being the random tool that cropped up here at the weekend still bleating.

Like I said in the thread the other week. The RS phone in would be great if they had proper callers and not pander to Brian The Blade and Mark The Pitsmoor Pillock.
Ah that's the guy. Brian. No need for it

Every group of fans seem to think that the media has an agenda against their team.
Not sure about the media but Sheffield council definitely had a bias
against us in the eighties ( don't think it applies now) it was run by pig fans
who also became MPS we know they are!!.A classic case was the Bramall lane centre, Ref Brearlys baby . They
couldn't wait to kick that out,even though it would have been good for Sheffield . The council then went and borrowed loads of money to put on the student games,when the Blades centre would have saved millions.
Don Valley stadium wouldn't have been needed.So all Sheffield people can thank the council ( pig council) for a debt that is still not paid up.

One should not confuse hostility with bias. Radio Sheff devotes far more airtime to the Pigs than us and always has. Count the number of interviews and length thereof over say a month. You'll see. Exactly the same applies to the Star in terms of column inches, main headlines and photos. It doesn't mean they hate us but it is bias, plain and simple. That's unarguable.

I reckon Radio Sheffield used to dedicate more time to us when we were doing better than Wednesday (2002-2009) but now give more time to Wednesday because they're doing better than us. Nothing more than that really.

What's going on on the field dictates the topics they discuss and shows they present. A team pushing for the Premier League is always going to get more coverage than a team in League One.

Not sure about the media but Sheffield council definitely had a bias
against us in the eighties ( don't think it applies now) it was run by pig fans
who also became MPS we know they are!!.A classic case was the Bramall lane centre, Ref Brearlys baby . They
couldn't wait to kick that out,even though it would have been good for Sheffield . The council then went and borrowed loads of money to put on the student games,when the Blades centre would have saved millions.
Don Valley stadium wouldn't have been needed.So all Sheffield people can thank the council ( pig council) for a debt that is still not paid up.
That's without mentioning dodgy safety certificates back when the sty was hosting semi-finals, wonder if any local MP's are on the prosecution shit list?

This thread is about the Star and RS has been included. Can't really see much about the whole football world.

The comment about The Pigs obsession with us is spot on. We're their little brother or younger cousin, tinpot, less support,never won owt, scrubbers. Yet daily they are on about us. In large numbers. So much so they have a hidden section that a casual viewer wouldnt even know was there so it's not as if they aren't aware themselves.

We don't do that on here.

Last edited:
I reckon Radio Sheffield used to dedicate more time to us when we were doing better than Wednesday (2002-2009) but now give more time to Wednesday because they're doing better than us. Nothing more than that really.

What's going on on the field dictates the topics they discuss and shows they present. A team pushing for the Premier League is always going to get more coverage than a team in League One.

Not true, I'm afraid. The bias is there and has been from day one. Someone, I think djbaldken, kept some records over a controlled period a few years ago. It demonstrated unarguable bias. Check it yourself for a couple of months. It isn't even marginal. The Star is just as bad if not worse. It always gives far greater prominence to the Pigs, whatever the respective league. If you're a Pig manager, player or fan then you will get more time on Radio Sheff and more space in the paper.

There is bias. It's not up for argument. It's a demonstrable fact. Whether it's justified is a different argument. They should at least be honest about it.

Ah that's the guy. Brian. No need for it

No needfor that fuckingg pig mick either or that absolutely brain dead pitsmoor owl.

When I do listen on the way to or back from work I like 2-1 ken. Simple but generally bang on the money.

Aka kenny miller when he's goes to Rotherham game. That's football banter not the other shit from Brian etc

No needfor that fuckingg pig mick either or that absolutely brain dead pitsmoor owl.

When I do listen on the way to or back from work I like 2-1 ken. Simple but generally bang on the money.

Aka kenny miller when he's goes to Rotherham game. That's football banter not the other shit from Brian etc

Hello, it's Ian, Eckington Blade, formerly Blackpool Blade.....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The star is unquestionably biased ifo Weds and against Utd in my mind. No ifs, no buts. Just the number of anti Blades stories where they have taken great delight to sling mud in Utd's direction at any possible opportunity should show that. Someone put a thread on here not long ago listing stories run over the years and it was staggering. Anyone who hasnt and doesnt see a anti Utd bias in the Star is either kidding themselves, in denial, or a closet pig.

The other local media....i dont see any bias tbf to any team. Radio Sheffield gets a bad press of some but i think they do a good job. I have no complaints about them at all. Radio Sheffield did become anti Blades for a while when Tubby Foster and Paul im a celebrity Walker got together but they are both legends in their own tiny minds. Who gives a shiny shit what fatty and fathead think? Personally, any one who can take their own lad to the sty to watch the unclean as a future fan rather than taking them to the Lane after he had his little nose pushed out for being too egotistical and too full of his own importance, was never a Blade in the first place.

I never listen to unfunny man Tubby and i have no time for im a celebrity Paul W.

I like the other RS presenters though even Rob the Pig isnt a bad lad. The Sheff Star though....i wouldnt even wipe my arse on that rag.

The Stir is open and unashamed about it's Pig bias. RS, in some quarters is.

Good point about the Football League Show/Goal Rush. I remember last season on the first day (when we got battered by Gillingham) they featured us and Pigs as the first games (Pigs had won) and it was a right p1ss-take at us. I'm sure there are Piggy producers on that show. On saying that, Michael Gray of all people has been praising us on there, and says he wants us to go up - so respect to him for that.

The Stir is open and unashamed about it's Pig bias. RS, in some quarters is.

Good point about the Football League Show/Goal Rush. I remember last season on the first day (when we got battered by Gillingham) they featured us and Pigs as the first games (Pigs had won) and it was a right p1ss-take at us. I'm sure there are Piggy producers on that show. On saying that, Michael Gray of all people has been praising us on there, and says he wants us to go up - so respect to him for that.

They also slagged off our away kit on the show, I don't think we were the only football league club to have a garish away shirt last year.

I don't really have a problem with Radio Sheffield, just the Stir.

The only gripe I have with RS currently is why they feel the need to let Carloss drawl on for 2 or 3 times longer than other local managers on a Saturday when...
1/ Most of what he says is illegible
and
2/ Most of South Yorkshire don't give a feck and are bored witless.

Stick him online after 3-4 minutes like the other managers. He's the most boring, even Ferguson at Donny sound exciting compared to him.

In the last few weeks on here alone, I've seen all of these mooted as media organisations that are biased against United:
  • Radio Sheffield
  • Sheffield Star
  • Sheffield Telegraph
  • Goal Rush on Channel 5 (!)
In the past apparently the Football League Show on the BBC ALSO hated United. Which begs the question: do you seriously think local newspapers, radio stations and national TV shows are all going to be biased against us? I don't know if you're all suffering from collective paranoia or what, but it seems extremely unlikely to me.
on evidence i've seen i'd be inclined to answer in the affirmative..

Back
Top Bottom