What is it with this obsession of having a target man ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Fascinating game, that Chess malarkey ;)

You don't like it. That's OK.

Does it ever occur to you WHY Spanish clubs (and not just the big 2) have utterly dominated in European club comps for a long long time ?

If you can get your head round this, you might make a Jedi yet !

UTB

Dronnie , I am still a trainee Jedi , but love Spanish football especially that team from Madrid who play in red and white stripes. .Where the fuck does that put me .:D

Did Wigan and Burton use "Target men" ?

No .

This notion that a target man is essential for success in this division is fundamentally flawed.

Beginning to increasingly agree with Pinchy.

The gerritupanatem brigade at BDTBL have much to answer for.

The academy is schooled to play a modern version of football. The idea, going back to Pembertons time is that with this particular type of coaching being consistent with the philosophy of the first team squad, the transition from academy to first team is much less difficult. Passing, pressing and movement.

We have seen the first team under Weir, Clough and Adkins try (and I will accept fail) to adopt a possession based game. Passing the ball sideways a lot, which has led to fans frustrations. I get this, I really do. Fans will have had enough of us fannying around trying to play like Barcelona when we simply do not have the right players to execute.

The introduction of a higher tempo to this overall strategy would, IMHO, make a world of difference.

In short, we are on the right path, it's not time to go back to the 80s, and I have faith that Wilder recognises that tempo in our play has been our biggest problem and is taking steps to rectify it.

If you can't or won't see this then fuck it, get Hanson, Hendo et al so that we can have a bit of WWF down at the Lane rather than good, exciting and winning football.

UTB

Who says that a "target man" has to be a useless, immobile slab of horseflesh like Higdon !!??

When I ask for a target man, I'm referring to a big, quick, mobile player who can score goals, control a football, hold up play, feed pacey wingers and supporting midfield players as part of a fast, exciting, fluid attacking team. The reason why he needs to be a "big lad" , is because we are still in our self-imposed exile in this agricultural division and he will need to "look after himself" as he will get no protection from the crap officials at this level.

Small players of the price range we can afford, get butt f**ked in this division as we have witnessed over the last 5 years so they are ineffective ( please don't talk about " Messi is only little" as I think he's only in the price range of Clubs like Barcelona / Real Madrid / Chelsea & Pigs ) .

UTB & FTP

Dronnie , I am still a trainee Jedi , but love Spanish football especially that team from Madrid who play in red and white stripes. .Where the fuck does that put me .:D
Jabba the Hut ?

Warm ?

Just kidding my Lord :)

UTB.

Who says that a "target man" has to be a useless, immobile slab of horseflesh like Higdon !!??

When I ask for a target man, I'm referring to a big, quick, mobile player who can score goals, control a football, hold up play, feed pacey wingers and supporting midfield players as part of a fast, exciting, fluid attacking team. The reason why he needs to be a "big lad" , is because we are still in our self-imposed exile in this agricultural division and he will need to "look after himself" as he will get no protection from the crap officials at this level.

Small players of the price range we can afford, get butt f**ked in this division as we have witnessed over the last 5 years so they are ineffective ( please don't talk about " Messi is only little" as I think he's only in the price range of Clubs like Barcelona / Real Madrid / Chelsea & Pigs ) .

UTB & FTP
" I'm referring to a big, quick, mobile player who can score goals, control a football, hold up play, feed pacey wingers and supporting midfield players as part of a fast, exciting, fluid attacking team"

Good luck finding one of them for under £10m who fancies the JPT on a Tuesday night !!

Agricultural is as Agricultural does.

Tempo is the key throughout the team, and with a good injection of pace up top to get behind and exploit the overload when it occurs.

Give me quick over big every day of the week and twice on Saturdays. THATS BEEN OUR PROBLEM NOT HAVING A GOOD BIG UN.

Don't get me wrong, a Brian Deane type in his prime would do rather nicely ta very much. But big strong lads tend to be just that, big strong lads. Usually they are lacking in overall technical ability and "guile".

Evidence messrs Henderson, Higdon and Sammon to amplify my point. Waaaaaaaaaank !!!

UTB.

" I'm referring to a big, quick, mobile player who can score goals, control a football, hold up play, feed pacey wingers and supporting midfield players as part of a fast, exciting, fluid attacking team"

Good luck finding one of them for under £10m who fancies the JPT on a Tuesday night !!

Agricultural is as Agricultural does.

Tempo is the key throughout the team, and with a good injection of pace up top to get behind and exploit the overload when it occurs.

Give me quick over big every day of the week and twice on Saturdays. THATS BEEN OUR PROBLEM NOT HAVING A GOOD BIG UN.

Don't get me wrong, a Brian Deane type in his prime would do rather nicely ta very much. But big strong lads tend to be just that, big strong lads. Usually they are lacking in overall technical ability and "guile".

Evidence messrs Henderson, Higdon and Sammon to amplify my point. Waaaaaaaaaank !!!

UTB.

Not interested in a Henderson, Higopottomus or a Sammon ........ more an Afobe type, on loan of course not within our price range as you correctly point out ....

UTB & FTP

Not interested in a Henderson, Higopottomus or a Sammon ........ more an Afobe type, on loan of course not within our price range as you correctly point out ....

UTB & FTP
Quick point of reference.

Do you regard Benzema as a target man ?
Diego Costa ?
Romelu Lukaku ?

Just interested.

UTB.

Till we can afford two of each I'll live on planet Earth, It's this sort of rubbish thinking from the Cuckoo landers on here that's got us were we are....

Fascinating game, that Chess malarkey ;)

You don't like it. That's OK.

I play chess regularly and have played in tournaments abroad. The queen is a powerful piece cos it is very tall. You think pawns are more powerful cos they are small!;)

I play chess regularly and have played in tournaments abroad. The queen is a powerful piece cos it is very tall. You think pawns are more powerful cos they are small!;)
The Queen has pace and mobility. Pawns move like Hammond.

Quick point of reference.

Do you regard Benzema as a target man ?
Diego Costa ?
Romelu Lukaku ?

Just interested.

UTB.

Yes I do ...... not in the sense of having big, high long balls pumped up to them ( like Blackwell loved ) but in the sense that the ball goes into them ( chest or feet ) and it usually sticks, they can hold off a challenge, bring wide & midfield supporting players into the game etc.

Now we can never ever hope to compete in that pool of players, but we need a player like Afobe, for example, who can do those things but also has the pace to make something out of nothing even when he's got little support.

I don't advocate that we spend the game pumping long diagonal balls into the box, but you still need a big, strong striker to be the focus of attacks and he needs to be able to " look after himself " because Sharp for example, often gets bundled off the ball and referees don't give free kicks for that sort of foul at this level. That's not going to change.

UTB & FTP

Yes I do ...... not in the sense of having big, high long balls pumped up to them ( like Blackwell loved ) but in the sense that the ball goes into them ( chest or feet ) and it usually sticks, they can hold off a challenge, bring wide & midfield supporting players into the game etc.

Now we can never ever hope to compete in that pool of players, but we need a player like Afobe, for example, who can do those things but also has the pace to make something out of nothing even when he's got little support.

I don't advocate that we spend the game pumping long diagonal balls into the box, but you still need a big, strong striker to be the focus of attacks and he needs to be able to " look after himself " because Sharp for example, often gets bundled off the ball and referees don't give free kicks for that sort of foul at this level. That's not going to change.

UTB & FTP

We should at least have that option. Most Blades managers since Warnock have ignored the importance of options, both on the bench and in the squad, different player types to help tweak tactics, adjust team balance and change the pattern of a game. Sometimes two nippy strikers will be fine. In other scenarios a more physical option can give defenders different challenges. It doesn't mean we have to start launch it from the half way line.

What a pathetic way of debating.
BB.

You advocate the John Beck school of hoof n hope "percentage" football. This is your prerogative. The avatar you choose is rather a clue in this regard, would you not agree ?

I don't advocate this method of "football".

Our views are poles apart.

I respect your opinion, even though I fundamentally disagree with it, to my very core.

What I will stop short of is projecting insults at you and others, merely for having a different opinion.

Have a nice day

UTB

Variety is the spice of life as they say and it is worth noting that, for some time our only real goal threat at set pieces came from Maguire and Collins - both defenders and both no longer with the club. DCL is perportedly good in the air but young, inexperienced and a bit on the slight side. We do need options and the lack of them will, and has, cost us. What those options should be is debatable, but one thing is for certain - we cannot be one-trick ponies for another season, teams suss it out and counter it. Its also worth considering how many headed goals we have scored in the last three seasons - not many I think.

One of the reasons I think we nosedived at the tail end of Clough was that teams sussed the way we set out and played and effectively countered it. Clough didn't have an option B (I was going to say plan B, but decided to be kind - he at least identified the need for an alternative up front - O'Grady). Adkins was slightly more flexible tactically and made bigger adjustments during the game but in the end it came down to a lack of credible options (up front and midfield). I seem to recall the introduction of Sammon v Bradford City in the 2-2 away draw made a huge difference strategically and territoriality even though he was not very good in the target man stakes ( or any other way really ).

Just my untutored take anyhow.

The Queen has pace and mobility. Pawns move like Hammond.

Isn’t Hammond the king? Big, slow, can only move a very short distance at a time and must be protected at all costs? Very important for some reason despite not appearing to contribute much? I see Louis Reed and Stefan Scougall as the pawns.

BB.

You advocate the John Beck school of hoof n hope "percentage" football. This is your prerogative. The avatar you choose is rather a clue in this regard, would you not agree ?

I don't advocate this method of "football".

Our views are poles apart.

I respect your opinion, even though I fundamentally disagree with it, to my very core.

What I will stop short of is projecting insults at you and others, merely for having a different opinion.

Have a nice day

UTB
I would respect your opinions if heading the ball gets outlawed

Isn’t Hammond the king? Big, slow, can only move a very short distance at a time and must be protected at all costs? Very important for some reason despite not appearing to contribute much? I see Louis Reed and Stefan Scougall as the pawns.
Yeah, it did cross my mind but I couldn't bring myself to describe him as a 'King'. Burger King maybe.

All I can see on this thread is someone arguing against having a 'Plan B'. I've sat through enough monotonous games at the Lane this last 2 or 3 seasons where it's been blindingly obvious that a 'Plan B' is precisely what we need.

All I can see on this thread is someone arguing against having a 'Plan B'. I've sat through enough monotonous games at the Lane this last 2 or 3 seasons where it's been blindingly obvious that a 'Plan B' is precisely what we need.

To be honest, for me, ideally, Adams would be plan B and we would have a big, quick, well rounded forward alongside Sharp as plan A but if we can't get that, then a big forward who has some weaknesses in his game would be plan B.

Maybe so.

But if it is, it cuts both ways.

Interesting how you cut off my quote just before "I respect your opinion",

Any reason for that ?

UTB

Cuts both ways?

I think you've shown prejudice by saying "You advocate the John Beck school of hoof n hope "percentage" football."

Based on what, my avatar? If you're interested in my opinions on football there are 4,200 posts to read through, and a blog. Or you could just ask what I think.

The reason for cutting off your quote? You obviously don't know what my opinions are, so when you say you respect it, it carries no meaning.

I think we need to be a far bigger and more physical as a side, and that means needing some stronger players. We have been weak aerially for a few years and as a result are to easy to dominate and bully
Two good centre halves and a 6'+ midfield enforcer would go a long way to solving that problem.

It wasn't pretty.
It achieved the results at the time.
Look at them now and since.

Pulis' Stoke City that night when they steamrollered us 0-3.

I'll have some of that recipe if it brings the required result(s).

It wasn't pretty.
It achieved the results at the time.
Look at them now and since.

Pulis' Stoke City that night when they steamrollered us 0-3.

I'll have some of that recipe if it brings the required result(s).
Would you rather us be a top end Championship club playing attractive football but not quite good enough to go up, or play long ball West Brom type football and be in the PL with all the corporate wank that comes with it?

I'm not sure. Being an exile I'd very much like us to be on TV a lot but I'd baulk a little at having to pay £50+ to watch us at Arsenal, Spurs etc (if I could even get a ticket).

Would you rather us be a top end Championship club playing attractive football but not quite good enough to go up, or play long ball West Brom type football and be in the PL with all the corporate wank that comes with it?

I'm not sure. Being an exile I'd very much like us to be on TV a lot but I'd baulk a little at having to pay £50+ to watch us at Arsenal, Spurs etc (if I could even get a ticket).

Let's get out of the L1 first.
We can then discuss your question in 2026.
IN 2026 NOT 20.26

Back
Top Bottom